Go Back to 1991...

Mullethead

Lets play the "what if" game.

What if Motley Crue Had released an album in '91 instead of the Greatest Hits cd? Primal Scream, Angela & Anarchy w/ 9, 10 more tracks in the vein of those. Would it have been better than Feelgood?

I think so...

Not sure it would have been better, but without Dr. Feelgood being released in '89 that best of (Decade Of Decadence, I think it was called) would have pretty damn lean. IMO, Dr. Feelgood is by far the bands best output. Shout At The Devil put fear into the publics eyes, Home Sweet Home made the little girls notice them and Dr. Feelgood, song and album made them into superstars.

Agreed about Dr Feelgood. I wish they had made another album in 91 and Corabi made another album with The Scream. That said after a 91 album I hoped that they still would have broken up coz I love Vince's solo CD from 93 with Steve Stevens :)

I love Feelgood but it's not even close to my favorite. If they had made a full length album with Primal Scream being the lead off single it might have stopped the grunge thing before it happened :christmas:

it might have stopped the grunge thing before it happened

I love partaking in revisionist history/alternate reality/"what if's?" as much as the next guy but let's be honest, nothin' was going to stop the "grunge thing," cuz the major labels sunk way too much $$ into it so they weren't going to LET it fail...

it might have stopped the grunge thing before it happened

I love partaking in revisionist history/alternate reality/"what if's?" as much as the next guy but let's be honest, nothin' was going to stop the "grunge thing," cuz the major labels sunk way too much $$ into it so they weren't going to LET it fail...

Oh I agree, hence the smiley face. I don't know if it was so much the labels as it was wanna-be's. Too much of a good thing became very watered down imo.

Oh I agree, hence the smiley face. I don't know if it was so much the labels as it was wanna-be's. Too much of a good thing became very watered down imo.

I've always pictured a big meeting of the various major label heads, circa 1992, going something like this:

Exec #1: "OK, fellas, so what have we got as far as hard rock/metal this year?"

Exec#2: (Makes jerking-off hand motion) "Dude, we got nothin'. Motley hired some guy with black hair and piercings all over his face to replace Vince. He scares the girls. Metal Edge won't even give us a pinup. And Poison replaced C.C. with that Richie Kotzen guy. (Chuckles) Good luck with THAT."

Exec #1: "I feel ya. Do you know how hard it is to convince radio stations that Kik Tracee really have something to say to America's youth??"

Exec#3: "Guys, I've been trying to tell you for months now. Have you heard this? (waves copy of Nirvana's NEVERMIND) Geffen's making money hand over fist on this stuff!"

Exec #1: "Interesting. Tell us more."

Exec #3: "Well, y'know, all the old guys - Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, yadda yadda yadda - they're just money pits at this point. They have entourages, girlfriends, hangers-on, drug dealers, they need makeup people, wardrobe assistants, special effects guys, what have you. But these grunge dudes are happy to just drive around in a sh*tty van, playing dump clubs on crappy equipment, wearing clothes from the thrift store. All we have to do is buy'em some new guitar strings once in a while and they're thrilled. It's pure profit!"

Exec #2: "I hear they're all hooked on heroin too. So hey, that means they'll probably all be dead before they can complete their five-album deal."

Exec #1: "OK, you've convinced me. What do you say, lets' suck Seattle dry and let the L.A. guys wither away on the vine. Now c'mon, let's wrap this up, I'm late for the fitting for my new hot tub."

(All three execs do a happy dance, exit boardroom)

I've always pictured a big meeting of the various major label heads, circa 1992, going something like this:

Exec#2: (Makes jerking-off hand motion) "Dude, we got nothin'. Motley hired some guy with black hair and piercings all over his face to replace Vince. He scares the girls. Metal Edge won't even give us a pinup. And Poison replaced C.C. with that Richie Kotzen guy. (Chuckles) Good luck with THAT."

Exec #1: "I feel ya. Do you know how hard it is to convince radio stations that Kik Tracee really have something to say to America's youth??"

Exec#3: "Guys, I've been trying to tell you for months now. Have you heard this? (waves copy of Nirvana's NEVERMIND) Geffen's making money hand over fist on this stuff!"

Exec #3: "Well, y'know, all the old guys - Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, yadda yadda yadda - they're just money pits at this point. They have entourages, girlfriends, hangers-on, drug dealers, they need makeup people, wardrobe assistants, special effects guys, what have you. But these grunge dudes are happy to just drive around in a sh*tty van, playing dump clubs on crappy equipment, wearing clothes from the thrift store. All we have to do is buy'em some new guitar strings once in a while and they're thrilled. It's pure profit!"

Exec #2: "I hear they're all hooked on heroin too. So hey, that means they'll probably all be dead before they can complete their five-album deal."

Exec #1: "OK, you've convinced me. What do you say, lets' suck Seattle dry and let the L.A. guys wither away on the vine. Now c'mon, let's wrap this up, I'm late for the fitting for my new hot tub."

:rofl2:

Keith, this may be your funniest post ever...

:rofl2:

Keith, this may be your funniest post ever...

I agree funny stuff especially the Heroin thing. :lol:

The only thing I would disagree with is the Metal Edge Corabi/Crue thing.

They did Motley Crue specials of only Motley with Corabi and Gerri Miller pushed the living shit out of that album in Metal Edge so they can't blame the mag on the failure of that release.

That, everyone, is what is known in the industry as comic gold. :bowdown:

(Bows, tips hat) Thankew, thankew very much.

I may expand that post into a parody/article on my Hubpages profile now that I'm all inspired-n-stuff. :lol:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(Bows, tips hat) Thankew, thankew very much.

I may expand that post into a parody/article on my Hubpages profile now that I'm all inspired-n-stuff. :lol:

"The chronicles of Capatin What If?"

I'm thinkin' more along the lines of a one-act play "THE DAY GRUNGE TOOK OVER - WHAT REALLY HAPPENED!"

Lets play the "what if" game.

What if Motley Crue Had released an album in '91 instead of the Greatest Hits cd? Primal Scream, Angela & Anarchy w/ 9, 10 more tracks in the vein of those. Would it have been better than Feelgood?

I think so...

Interesting question. I doubt if it would have been better, but it would have had the potential to be another great album for sure. With Rock n Roll Junkie only being on the Ford Fairlane soundtrack at the time they would have probably included it, and the track "Get it For Free" from the Dr. Feelgood sessions could have possibly been re-worked and included, so they did have a pretty good start on a new album if they had chosen to go that way.

Primal Scream

Angela

Anarchy in the UK

Rock n Roll Junkie

Get It For Free

Crue are one of my top two bands, and I pretty much love everything they have done bar one or two songs here and there.

In my estimation they just could not have topped Dr Feelgood for several reasons.

1: The album was just that damn good

2: The tracks recorded afterwards were just not as good (I love those tracks on Decade, but they just pale compared to Feelgood)

3: Everything recorded after the breakup shows us that they would have probably changed style anyway (one of the reasons for the break up is that Vince and the band wanted to go in different directions).

4: Some of the tracks used on New Tattoo were originally written for the follow up (I remember members of Skid Row saying they had worked on the song Punched in the teeth), and that wasnt as good.

At the end of the day, I am glad they split with Vince because otherwise we would not have got two awesome albums in the forms of Exposed and Motley Crue.

I also don't think it would have been quite as good. 'Dr Feelgood' is far and away my favourite Motley album and like Howdy says, although the songs on 'Decade' were good, I don't think any of them were as good as most the songs on 'Dr Feelgood.' So by my estimation a full album wouldn't have been able to match 'Dr Feelgood.'

That said, who knows? Maybe it would have? I like 'Exposed' and the Motley self titled disc, but I for one would have LOVED to see Motley stay together in their original form and see what they could dish up, realeasing a new CD every 2nd year since 1989. :)

And for the record, I think the 'Piece of your action' and 'Live wire' re-recordings on that 1991 album are two of the most worthwhile tracks the Crue ever recorded. Great songs originally, AMAZING songs re-recorded in 1991. That's how and why you re-record an old song. ;)

I see a few people saying that the Decade songs weren't as good as the Feelgood songs. My question is this then...what song on Dr. Feelgood, other than Kickstart, is better than Primal Scream?

I see a few people saying that the Decade songs weren't as good as the Feelgood songs. My question is this then...what song on Dr. Feelgood, other than Kickstart, is better than Primal Scream?

I agree it's a killer song, but I prefer quite a few on 'Dr Feelgood,' title track included.

I always thought 'Angela' had potential to be one of the best Crue song there was, until Tommy un-characterstically destroyed the chorus with that non-sensical drumming that has killed several an other-wise stunning song (most noteably 'Burning down inside' and 'Meet me in the night' both by Tyketto.) :(

I agree it's a killer song, but I prefer quite a few on 'Dr Feelgood,' title track included.

I always thought 'Angela' had potential to be one of the best Crue song there was, until Tommy un-characterstically destroyed the chorus with that non-sensical drumming that has killed several an other-wise stunning song (most noteably 'Burning down inside' and 'Meet me in the night' both by Tyketto.) :(

What? Meet Me in the Night was great with that drum line!

i think if there is any new album in 91, I'm pretty sure it will be on par, so deciding which one is best will be hard.

since i'm one of the few that think 'Shout' is their best and 'Primal Scream' has that raw early heavy metal touch, if the new album will be mostly in the veins of 'Primal', there's a slight chance it can top out Feelgood, but if not, well at least, they share the same strength :popcorn:

Kickstart is my fave song ever, so like you say, thats a given. Other than that, Dr Feelgood certainly ranks above it. Ditto for Same ol situation and Dont go away mad.

Primal Scream is a great track, but the way those songs flowed on Dr Feelgood, it was just one great track after another but Primal was a different beast anyway, and certainly a move in a different direction.

And for the record, I think the 'Piece of your action' and 'Live wire' re-recordings on that 1991 album are two of the most worthwhile tracks the Crue ever recorded. Great songs originally, AMAZING songs re-recorded in 1991. That's how and why you re-record an old song. ;)

I didnt think they were re-records, but remixes of the original versions just with the bass and drums brought more forward. At the very least, they are certainly the original vocal tracks on them as Vince wasnt able to sing like that by the time these came out.

I must admit, and most people would probably disagree with me on this, but I far prefer the 1997 version of Shout at the devil that was on the Swine album.

I remember reading a review of the album in Kerrang when it came out (I think it was Ray Zell), and while he wasnt overly taken with the album, he said one thing I certainly agreed with, that if they had done a whole album of the classics recorded in that style, it would have kicked arse.

I know a lot of people here hate re-records (as seen in the Firehouse thread), but its always nice to hear an updated variation of songs sometimes.

It didnt work when Jovi did it, I will admit, but that version of Shout leads me to believe that a whole album like that would have been fantastic.

I didnt think they were re-records, but remixes of the original versions just with the bass and drums brought more forward. At the very least, they are certainly the original vocal tracks on them as Vince wasnt able to sing like that by the time these came out.

I must admit, and most people would probably disagree with me on this, but I far prefer the 1997 version of Shout at the devil that was on the Swine album.

I remember reading a review of the album in Kerrang when it came out (I think it was Ray Zell), and while he wasnt overly taken with the album, he said one thing I certainly agreed with, that if they had done a whole album of the classics recorded in that style, it would have kicked arse.

I know a lot of people here hate re-records (as seen in the Firehouse thread), but its always nice to hear an updated variation of songs sometimes.

It didnt work when Jovi did it, I will admit, but that version of Shout leads me to believe that a whole album like that would have been fantastic.

Wow, if they're just remixes someone did a brilliant job with them. They certainly fooled me into thinking they were recorded in 1991, and they sound on par with the other new recordings, soundwise. Great job.

I like the new version of 'Shout at the devil' too.

When there is a valid reason for re-recordings, I don't really have an issue with it. Those older Motley songs were very raw at the time they were recorded. The advancements in sound technology between the original recordings and the newer recordings was very significant and it gave a great new spin on the old classics. As to what's better or not, that's a matter of taste but it's cool to compare.

To me there's no point in re-recording something that was recorded from about 1989 onwards (for me the year where production value hit a stride about as worthwhile as it is today) on a big label with a good budget because it won't sound any better. I don't mind re-recorded songs from the earlier part of the 80's that didn't quite have the production value behind them. My main gripe with Firehouse is that I can't think of anything they can do with those songs to make them sound anywhere near as good as, let alone better than the originals. :)

The only song on Decade that I believe was a re-record was Home sweet home, and in that instance, it really didnt hold a candle to the original. (btw, I am not including Kickstart my heart because I have recently mentioned how much I hate live tracks being thrown onto best ofs).