Go Back to 1991...

Mullethead

I see a few people saying that the Decade songs weren't as good as the Feelgood songs. My question is this then...what song on Dr. Feelgood, other than Kickstart, is better than Primal Scream?

Kickstart is my fave song ever, so like you say, thats a given. Other than that, Dr Feelgood certainly ranks above it. Ditto for Same ol situation and Dont go away mad.

Primal Scream is a great track, but the way those songs flowed on Dr Feelgood, it was just one great track after another but Primal was a different beast anyway, and certainly a move in a different direction.

Erm ... not that it really adds anything, but the title track from 'Dr Feelgood' is my favourite Crue track ever. I much prefer it to 'Kickstart...'.

Just wanted to join in!

I see a few people saying that the Decade songs weren't as good as the Feelgood songs. My question is this then...what song on Dr. Feelgood, other than Kickstart, is better than Primal Scream?

Kickstart is my fave song ever, so like you say, thats a given. Other than that, Dr Feelgood certainly ranks above it. Ditto for Same ol situation and Dont go away mad.

Primal Scream is a great track, but the way those songs flowed on Dr Feelgood, it was just one great track after another but Primal was a different beast anyway, and certainly a move in a different direction.

You would rather hear Don't go Away Mad or SOS over Primal Scream? Ooh...I mega disagree my friend :christmas:

For me Motley's best album was their second Shout At The Devil, then Dr. Feelgood. Way too much filler on Theatre and Girls.

Ratt's debut out of the cellar is my favourite followed by Detonator, again I thought there was too much filler on the Invasion, Dancing & Reach.

So I agree that Primal Scream is one of Motely's best tracks, cool video and vibe and feel about a seemingly re-energized band, well that's how it was sold and I bought. Lapped it up in fact!

Ratt also released their best of Ratt & Roll 8191 in 1991 with a kickass new song Nobody Rides for Free. Now surely if Ratt released another album in that mould it would have kicked ass and the world would have been a better place especially considering the reality....having to wait for the terrible S/T album in 1999!

Thoughts?

Nobody rides for free wasnt a new track, it was from the Point break soundtrack, so was more than likely an outtake from Detonator than recorded specially for the film going on the timing.

Nobody rides for free wasnt a new track, it was from the Point break soundtrack, so was more than likely an outtake from Detonator than recorded specially for the film going on the timing.

I thought I read somewhere in an interview with Robbin Crosby that they recorded that for the film and he left the band before that and they recorded that as a four piece without him so I'm assuming it wasn't part of the Detonator sessions but I could be wrong.

I thought I read somewhere in an interview with Robbin Crosby that they recorded that for the film and he left the band before that and they recorded that as a four piece without him so I'm assuming it wasn't part of the Detonator sessions but I could be wrong.

I think I also thought it was a new track recorded as a 4 piece too. And lyrically, it sounds like it was recorded for the movie too. :)

I think you could make this argument for any single 80's band that split up before the 1990-1992 period. Personally, for me, that couple of years was when hard rock was at it's prime. Bands like Dokken or Autograph... imagine 1989-1991 output from them. Sure we got some great stuff out of Dokken and Lynch Mob, Steve Plunkett for example, but yeah, some great might have beens from that period if a few bands had held on for a few more years.

Yes, but think about the amount of bands that didnt split and carried on, including Crue, albeit with a new vocalist.

Look how so many of them changed their sound due to the alternative/grunge movement.

Even Vince went that route with Carved in stone, so both he and Crue adapted and changed when they knew the writing was on the wall for cock rock.

Yeah, it was recorded for the film specifically (and without Robbin), but I wouldnt mind betting it was written around the same time as Detonator. And remember, Robbin was already taking a back seat on that album with only one writing credit, and all his guitar parts were very low in the mix, which lead to a lot of rumours that he wasnt even on that album.

Yeah, it was recorded for the film specifically (and without Robbin), but I wouldnt mind betting it was written around the same time as Detonator. And remember, Robbin was already taking a back seat on that album with only one writing credit, and all his guitar parts were very low in the mix, which lead to a lot of rumours that he wasnt even on that album.

This started happeneing, according to him, around the time Reach For the Sky came out. Just got worse over time...sad too. He was an awesome guitarist but substance was effecting his play, among other things.

Dont get me wrong, I love Carved in stone as well, but the shift in style that he did was even more so than Motley did with the self titled album. This is why I say that I doubt Motley would have done anything much different to what they did with the self titled album. Even Primal scream was certainly showing a move to the style they went with with Corabi. It may not have been as heavy with Vince, but I certainly think it would have been close.

Oh I agree, hence the smiley face. I don't know if it was so much the labels as it was wanna-be's. Too much of a good thing became very watered down imo.

I've always pictured a big meeting of the various major label heads, circa 1992, going something like this:

Exec #1: "OK, fellas, so what have we got as far as hard rock/metal this year?"

Exec#2: (Makes jerking-off hand motion) "Dude, we got nothin'. Motley hired some guy with black hair and piercings all over his face to replace Vince. He scares the girls. Metal Edge won't even give us a pinup. And Poison replaced C.C. with that Richie Kotzen guy. (Chuckles) Good luck with THAT."

Exec #1: "I feel ya. Do you know how hard it is to convince radio stations that Kik Tracee really have something to say to America's youth??"

Exec#3: "Guys, I've been trying to tell you for months now. Have you heard this? (waves copy of Nirvana's NEVERMIND) Geffen's making money hand over fist on this stuff!"

Exec #1: "Interesting. Tell us more."

Exec #3: "Well, y'know, all the old guys - Motley Crue, Poison, Cinderella, yadda yadda yadda - they're just money pits at this point. They have entourages, girlfriends, hangers-on, drug dealers, they need makeup people, wardrobe assistants, special effects guys, what have you. But these grunge dudes are happy to just drive around in a sh*tty van, playing dump clubs on crappy equipment, wearing clothes from the thrift store. All we have to do is buy'em some new guitar strings once in a while and they're thrilled. It's pure profit!"

Exec #2: "I hear they're all hooked on heroin too. So hey, that means they'll probably all be dead before they can complete their five-album deal."

Exec #1: "OK, you've convinced me. What do you say, lets' suck Seattle dry and let the L.A. guys wither away on the vine. Now c'mon, let's wrap this up, I'm late for the fitting for my new hot tub."

(All three execs do a happy dance, exit boardroom)

Just in case anyone's interested, I expanded on this gag and turned it into a blog entry on HubPages...

http://hubpages.com/hub/The-REAL-Story-Behind-The-Rise-of-Grunge-and-the-Fall-of-Metal

I apologize for the shameless promotion, and now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :D