Ronnie James Dio

Dark Star

I saw a page on Facebook saying RIP Ronnie James Dio, but the reports were sketchy... SO I searched Blabbermouth, and saw nothing about it...

Does Anyone know, For certain, If He has indeed passed away???? If He has, then this is indeed a dark day in the world of all things Metal..... :crying:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently the reports are indeed.... FALSE!!!

Saw this on blabbermouth just now....

RONNIE JAMES DIO Is Not Dead - May 15, 2010

Contrary to published reports, legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW) **has not** died after a six-month battle with stomach cancer.

After rumors started circulating via the Internet late Saturday that Dio had lost his cancer fight, BLABBERMOUTH.NET reached out to Ronnie's wife/manager Wendy Dio, who sent back the following message at approximately 11:35 p.m. PST on Saturday, May 15 / 2:35 a.m. EST on Sunday, May 16:

"I am at the hospital and Ronnie has NOT passed away!!!! He is not doing

good, but he is not dead.

"I will let you know if anything changes.

"Thank you for your concern."

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said, "Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live."

Earlier this month, HEAVEN & HELL canceled its summer tour plans in Europe due to Dio's treatment for stomach cancer. The band said in a statement that Dio wasn't "well enough to tour this summer. We hope that everyone understands and want to thank fans and industry colleagues for their continuing support at this time."

Ronnie James Dio has performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He is currently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

Keep fighting it Ronnie!!!! :headbanger:

Just saw this on Blabbermouth and I'm sickened.

What a sad day in metal, a sad day for all his family and friends of course his fans. Why do the good people always die????????????

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said, "Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live."

Earlier this month, HEAVEN & HELL canceled its summer tour plans in Europe due to Dio's treatment for stomach cancer. The band said in a statement that Dio wasn't "well enough to tour this summer. We hope that everyone understands and want to thank fans and industry colleagues for their continuing support at this time."

Ronnie James Dio had performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He was most recently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first and only studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

What a shame (if it's indeed true this time). I knew that (even if the earlier reports were off base) something bad was still happening. Had the pleasure of seeing him live 8 times, and meeting him once. Great guy and amazing performer.

www.wishingwellonline.com

www.facebook.com/Roger.Pamachena

What a shame (if it's indeed true this time). I knew that (even if the earlier reports were off base) something bad was still happening. Had the pleasure of seeing him live 8 times, and meeting him once. Great guy and amazing performer.

www.wishingwellonline.com

www.facebook.com/Roger.Pamachena

I saw him solo twice and with Heaven&Hell and considering my UserID he had a huge impact on my life. His lyrics really spoke to me like no one elses did. The man was just an amazing singer, frontman and writer. I never had the pleasure of meeting him but I have read how nice of a person he was. He will be missed. I'm currently playing "Hungry for Heaven" in tribute. :crying:

Truly a HUGE impact/loss to me and the hard rock community...

I only had the pleasure of seeing him live once on the Killing The Dragon tour, but as seen and so many others stated, he was a true gentleman and I have yet to see too many performers who were/are as gracious to the fan base as he.

RIP RJD, your presence will truly be missed.

A massive shock, terribly sad news, had the great fortune of seeing him solo around seven times in the 80`s, as well as with Black Sabbath and Heaven And Hell.

A huge loss :(

Terrible day for the hard rock / metal world. Dio's "Last in Line" was one of the first releases to really "grab" me with all its raw power, awesome lyrics, and of course Ronnie's amazing vocals. RIP Ronnie, you will be greatly missed.....

We'll know for the first time

If we're evil or divine

We're the last in line

A really sad loss to the music world and one of rocks greats. Had the pleasure of seeing the Mighty Sabs back in the day and that memory will remain with me always. R.I.P Ronnie - a true legend.

Oh my God!! May he rest in peace.... :crying: :crying:

Ronnie was one of the best singers in heavy metal...I always preferred his work with Sabbath over Ozzy's. Metal lost one of it's true icons today. RIP Ronnie. You will be missed.

Just saw this on Blabbermouth and I'm sickened.

What a sad day in metal, a sad day for all his family and friends of course his fans. Why do the good people always die????????????

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

Ronnie James Dio had performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He was most recently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first and only studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

After I typed this I realized that I had been wearing my DIO Last in Line Tshirt.

I hadn't even paid attention and had just thrown it on and then got on the computer and saw this news.

To-do list for this evening:

Listen to Rainbow's "Stargazer."

Drink Beer.

Cry.

R.I.P. RJD!!!

Sad sad day, I can't imagine anyone who likes our type of music not being distressed at this news, I was lucky enough to see him live quite a few times and even though it was well documented about his condition I'm still completely stunned.

Really is an awful loss...sleep well Ronnie.

The Ronnie many people never heard of

Ronnie And The Redcaps (1958-61)

Ronnie And The Prophets (1961-66)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaZjYO48eUk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlRJJ65sqbI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eXAaz2raeI

The Electric Elves (1967-68)

The Elves (1969-70)

Elf (1972-73)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1MzNNpSY_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZL7rgyWQ0I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqg6CFn46nY

I'm just devastated by this terrible news! What a horrible day in metal history. I too had the pleasure of seeing this man perform live & he never disappointed. I really wish I would have gotten to see him with Sabbath/Heaven & Hell...I also remember the first time I heard "Rainbow in the Dark" it gave me chills which I will never forget!! R.I.P. Ronnie you will be sorely missed :headbanger: