2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

Well, the World Cup is upon us, so that brings... World Cup Pick 'em! :P

http://us.wc.fantasy...am?GID=12651&P=

Group ID#: 12651

Get points for picking the correct outcome (win or draw) and bonus points for predicting the correct score.

Outside of the main teams (England, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal) and the U.S. team, I know next to nothing about these guys, so this should be an experience.

Join up and give it a shot. :beerbang:

Just had a go at the first round of matches. For so many of these games, I could make a different prediction every time I look at it, which is part of what I love about the World Cup. Football knowledge could be a hindrance for a lot of the games, as I think there could be a lot of strange results. Hopefully a few people on HH will have a go, it should be fun.

BTW, it does look like you need a Yahoo account unfortunately. I hope that doesn't put too many people off.

Okay, I see Mike, James and me (using my wife's email account :)) in there now. Who are those other names? Are they forum members too? If so, who is who?

For those signing up, if you're like me and have no f*cking idea what they're talking about when they ask for 'Pick Set', I just typed in my name and it worked well. :lol:

It'd be cool to see more people join. I don't know the difference in quality between any of the teams, so I'm just going in completely blind... but it should be a bit of fun anyway. :)

Haha. Okay, put all my tips in. I hate tipping comps where you need to pick the score too. Impossible. Truth be told, I'd be happy just to get a win. :)

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice one, it should be a laugh and hope one or two more join today. There are bound to be a few strange results, so anyone could win it. Should be a few beers for the winner, although I suspect they may be virtual.

First games tomorrow, South Africa v Maexico and Uruguay v France. I am incapable of being unbiased for any World Cup game, so will rooting for Mexico and Uruguay. Game on!

Oaky doaky, made my picks as well !! :lol:

OK, Im in, made my picks.

Wot i wanna know is who is the 1% which thinks that Brazil v Korea will be a draw! and the 1% who thinks that Switzerland are going to beat Spain! lol.

OK, Im in, made my picks.

Wot i wanna know is who is the 1% which thinks that Brazil v Korea will be a draw! and the 1% who thinks that Switzerland are going to beat Spain! lol.

Yeah, Korea are obviously going to win that game. ;)

(BTW, if they do, I may never stop laughing.)

It's getting really excited now, under two days to go. :bananamac:

This really surprised me when I saw it on the news last night. For whatever reason (I think because my wife said it) I thought it started on 21st of June. Then I hear the Aussies play on Monday already. Just having a quick look at the TV guide and it doesn't have match schedules, but it looks like the telecast itself starts at 11:30pm. :lol: Oh well, I'll see what I can do but something tells me I won't get to see much of this world cup at all...

Unless Australia actually win a match.........Obviously !!!!!!!! :whistle:

This really surprised me when I saw it on the news last night. For whatever reason (I think because my wife said it) I thought it started on 21st of June. Then I hear the Aussies play on Monday already. Just having a quick look at the TV guide and it doesn't have match schedules, but it looks like the telecast itself starts at 11:30pm. :lol: Oh well, I'll see what I can do but something tells me I won't get to see much of this world cup at all...

Im looking forward to Germany v Australia.

Should be a classic!

Whoever wins the Poms will be happy ;-))

Should be a classic!

Hopefully both these time wasters lose and leave the real footie to the proper teams :whistle:

Should be a classic!

Hopefully both these time wasters lose and leave the real footie to the proper teams :whistle:

:rofl2: Proper teams ?? You can't mean England, surely !?! For how many didn't you even qualify for World Cups or Europ. Championships ?? Was it 10 years or so ?? :rofl2:

First games tomorrow, South Africa v Maexico and Uruguay v France. I am incapable of being unbiased for any World Cup game, so will rooting for Mexico and Uruguay. Game on!

Nice, we have the same picks for those first 2 games, so I guess that's a good sign. :) I vaguely thought of picking South Africa for either of their first 2 games, but home ground advantage or not they really have no soccer team so speak of, do they?

Nope, as I said above - I'm going to try to watch every Aussie game, and maybe some others if I can make it possible. But with me needing to get up at 6:40am for work every day and the telecast starting at 11:30pm every night (actual games won't start till midnight), I honestly can't see how I'll see much of it. I can't even stay up for 'Amazing Race' / 'Flashforward' which finishes at 12:30am on a Thursday, so the soccer doesn't stand much of a chance. I will try, for Australia's sake, though.

Just found out we have a little 34cm TV out at the farm over the long weekend, but apparently there's no reception. If we can get SBS I'll talk one of the dudes into waking up with me at 4:30am to catch their first game. Maybe. Depends how much booze we sink the night before. :)

Australia vs Germany is on at 4.20am Monday morning and like fuck I'll be getting up to watch it !!!!

But hang on a minute.......all is not lost.....SBS will be showing a replay of the game at, wait for it......2.00am Tuesday morning......That will be handy :blink:

I'll wait and hear the result on the news and watch any highlights {although I'm predicting the only highlights we will be seeing, will be that of Germany :whistle: }.......I'm not that keen to give up sleep to watch bloody soccer even if it is the World Cup.

Watching the final, :unsure: I will think about it depending on the day and time it's played.

Should be a classic!

:rofl2: Proper teams ?? You can't mean England, surely !?! For how many didn't you even qualify for World Cups or Europ. Championships ?? Was it 10 years or so ?? :rofl2:

We have qualified for all 14 tournaments since 1950 mate and made the finals in 11. The last time we didn't make the finals was in '94 which was the year The Germans won the special award for High Diving during a footie match :whistle:

Australia vs Germany is on at 4.20am Monday morning and like fuck I'll be getting up to watch it !!!!

Don't worry Dave, neither will anyone else :)

I think you might find that many Germans living here will and I reckon a fair few other morons will as well :lol:

I think you might find that many Germans living here will and I reckon a fair few other morons will as well :lol:

Make the most of this, but my money is on the Aussies... :gone:

That's who I'm calling the morons mate :lol:

I think Australia could put in a big performance against the Germans. If they can stop Germany scoring for the first 20-30 minutes, they have a chance. Although if Germany score early on, the floodgates could open...

Got the kids all day tomorrow as the wife's out. How am I supposed to entertain a 6-year old and a 3-year old when there is World Cup football on all afternoon? ;)

Mine aint. Ger 2 Oz 0.

see Henry has been left out of the starting line up for tonight.

do you think that's to spare him the boos.....the cheating French tw*t.

Mine aint. Ger 2 Oz 0.

I was just hoping mate. 3-1 Germany ;)

Two games in, two draws and nothing to shout about. Okay, the Mexico v South Africa game was quite entertaining, but the France manager made some very odd decisions and they were poor. Massive day tomorrow, would love to see Nigeria (who I have a real soft spot for, having worked there for a month and had an absolute ball) get a result against the Argies and then of course England v USA. Bring it on!

Two games in, two draws and nothing to shout about. Okay, the Mexico v South Africa game was quite entertaining, but the France manager made some very odd decisions and they were poor. Massive day tomorrow, would love to see Nigeria (who I have a real soft spot for, having worked there for a month and had an absolute ball) get a result against the Argies and then of course England v USA. Bring it on!

South Africa had several chances to put the match away, and could not do so. They may regret not taking the full 3 points, as Uruguay's defense is quite stingy, and France might actually awaken at any given moment.

*The host nation has NEVER failed to make it out of the group stages. I really think this could change this time around...

I see now why so many French fans dislike Domenech; some damn odd choices (not starting an in form Malouda, pulling Anelka off the field). This team is loaded with talent; when will they put it all together again?

South Africa and Mexico both looked relatively comfortable on the ball,and with a bit more luck S.A. could have nicked it,but a draw looked fair enough.

How lucky are the French ? Selecting an in-form side is obviously NOT their strong point.Another expected draw !!