2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

Are the Dutch contenders this year at all? Will keep a sneaky eye on them too...

I'd say the Dutch are a bit of a 'Dark Horse'. Their main worry is that their best player, Arjen Robben, has injury worries. Saying that, they have a very good attack, so If Robben plays and the whole team clicks, then they could be very very dangerous indeed. Definitely worth a bet i'd say

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's definitely a hard call this tournament......Spain seem to be the "European" favourite,I hope to God England do something,instead of blaming injuries,leaving potential "match-turners",like Joe Cole for instance,on the bench til it's too late to do anything,or hopefully dispensing with the usual "keeper to center back,square pass to full back,back to center back,who knocks it square to the other full back,who then plays it back to the keeper etc etc...

Never really discount anyone,as the South Americans,who usually have a shit qualification,only to turn it on at the finals.The Germans,as well as the Dutch could also be a threat,but at the end of the day........

COME ON ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!

10 Must See Group Stage matches:

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/worldcup/lists/10-must-see-group-stage-matches#sport=World%20Cup&photo=11262110

Chile v Spain

Portugal v Brazil

England v USA

...the three I'm most looking forward to. Brazil v Ivory Coast could be interesting if Drogba gets to play.

I have to say it, but I really just don't understand how so many of these guys are injured. The Aussies have the same problem with that Kewell guy (I don't know how Aussie he is, though - sounds like a half-Pom to me when he speaks) who I believe is supposed to be our star. And the other darker fella who plays in England (forget his name) is apparently injured too, after the USA game.

But this is a serious question - how do soccer players get injured? It is such a tame game professionally, with even the slightest contact penalised, and I honestly don't see the cause for all these injuries, bar the occasional strained hamstring or something of the sort.

But the injury lists appear to be even higher in number than rugby players, who at least I can understand when they get injured because it's plain for all to see. Is it just that these soccer players are such a soft breed of human?

Portugal, Brazil and Italy will be 3 big teams to watch. Spain are unworthy favourites IMO as they always seem to have a bad game in them, and those pundits even suggesting that Argentina will be a threat have gone mad. Holland are decent outsiders for a semi-final place IMO, but have zero chance of winning it. One look at how England coped (or didn't) at altitude in their warm-up game tells you everything about how the Western European teams will fare in South Africa. Not well. Expect us to lose in the Quarter Finals again...

Portugal, Brazil and Italy will be 3 big teams to watch. Spain are unworthy favourites IMO as they always seem to have a bad game in them, and those pundits even suggesting that Argentina will be a threat have gone mad. Holland are decent outsiders for a semi-final place IMO, but have zero chance of winning it. One look at how England coped (or didn't) at altitude in their warm-up game tells you everything about how the Western European teams will fare in South Africa. Not well. Expect us to lose in the Quarter Finals again...

I can't see Brazil and Portugal doing too well, although I'm probably a fool to rule out Brazil and will regret that in a few weeks' time. I'm convinced Spain will win it; they have a lot more class players than anyone else. I didn't think there were many stadiums at altitude, my understanding was that the climate would suit the Northern European teams more than anyone else? Germany will be strong, they are a World Cup nation, you only have to look at the tournament 8 years ago when they were awful (one of the worst Germany teams I've ever seen) and still managed to sneak into the semis (with a massive slice of luck, but they got there nonetheless). They have improved a lot since then, so have to have a shout. Holland could surprise a few; I think they may even have a chance of the title. England won't win it; we'll probably not see another England win in our lifetimes. What really frustrates me is that last time we have a good side in a poor World Cup, it was a very winnable tournament, but we had an idiot manager. Now we have a good manager, but the team isn't so strong. Sod's law!

I can't see Brazil and Portugal doing too well, although I'm probably a fool to rule out Brazil and will regret that in a few weeks' time. I'm convinced Spain will win it; they have a lot more class players than anyone else. I didn't think there were many stadiums at altitude, my understanding was that the climate would suit the Northern European teams more than anyone else? Germany will be strong, they are a World Cup nation, you only have to look at the tournament 8 years ago when they were awful (one of the worst Germany teams I've ever seen) and still managed to sneak into the semis (with a massive slice of luck, but they got there nonetheless). They have improved a lot since then, so have to have a shout. Holland could surprise a few; I think they may even have a chance of the title. England won't win it; we'll probably not see another England win in our lifetimes. What really frustrates me is that last time we have a good side in a poor World Cup, it was a very winnable tournament, but we had an idiot manager. Now we have a good manager, but the team isn't so strong. Sod's law!

I think the climate will be okay (it's winter there) but altitude is a whole other thing entirely. I agree that Germany will be strong, and Holland. Spain have the best players in the world on-paper, no question. But look how many have played tough domestic seasons with tons of big games - this is where early Champions League knockouts will help our players - and all they need is one big injury (like Torres or Iniesta) and they're totally screwed IMO. David Villa is totally overrated too... Writing-off Brazil is very brave!!

Yeah, you're probably right. My suggestion would be to bet on a Portugal vs Brazil final after I've predicted neither side will do too well. ('Doing well' as far as Brazil is concerned is winning the thing, so if they go out in the semis I'm claiming some credit!)

I agree about Iniesta and Torres, if either is injured Spain could struggle. What about outsiders though, who do you think will do well? I thought Nigeria could have a good run until I looked at their results in friendlies. Same goes for Serbia. Still, maybe when it comes to the big stage...

Spain have got to be favourites.

Never write off Brazil tho.

England I think will maybe make the last 8 and will then go out in the usual rollercoaster way....ie playing really well and getting stuffed by a late goal or on penalties!

Spain for me aswell. England maybe last 8, if we pull our fingers out and play like we should. Hopefully there will be one or two upsets along the way (ie The Germans getting knocked out as quickly as humanly possible (sorry Bernd ;) ), which would be cool too. Hopefully it will be a good Tournament all round and one thing is for sure, I am going to enjoy it whilst I sit around a pool, drinking beer with friends on Holiday oh yes.

Hmmm ..., I thought we were buddies .... ?!?!

Your dreams will not come true, mate ! Germany will stuff England by a late goal or on penalties ! :lol:

None of you have actually mentioned Italy, I believe. And they are the current World Champion (unrightfully so, I must say !). As much as I hate them, they should not be disregarded.

Spain are the European Champion at the moment - well deserved - and they do have a lot of brilliant players, so my bet goes to them as well.

England I think will maybe make the last 8 and will then go out in the usual rollercoaster way....ie playing really well and getting stuffed by a late goal or on penalties!

Spain for me aswell. England maybe last 8, if we pull our fingers out and play like we should. Hopefully there will be one or two upsets along the way (ie The Germans getting knocked out as quickly as humanly possible (sorry Bernd ;) ), which would be cool too. Hopefully it will be a good Tournament all round and one thing is for sure, I am going to enjoy it whilst I sit around a pool, drinking beer with friends on Holiday oh yes.

Your dreams will not come true, mate ! Germany will stuff England by a late goal or on penalties ! :lol:

This is footie mate - take no prisoners ;)

Germany couldn't stuff a Turkey, so the nightmares will be yours. :D

Yeah, you're probably right. My suggestion would be to bet on a Portugal vs Brazil final after I've predicted neither side will do too well. ('Doing well' as far as Brazil is concerned is winning the thing, so if they go out in the semis I'm claiming some credit!)

I agree about Iniesta and Torres, if either is injured Spain could struggle. What about outsiders though, who do you think will do well? I thought Nigeria could have a good run until I looked at their results in friendlies. Same goes for Serbia. Still, maybe when it comes to the big stage...

Maybe MEXICO as outsiders. They looked tasty against England and it was only set-pieces that caused them problems...

This is footie mate - take no prisoners ;)

Germany couldn't stuff a Turkey, so the nightmares will be yours. :D

:rofl2:

Spain beat Poland 6-0 last night in their final warm-up game. Poland are a decent side too....

Spain beat Poland 6-0 last night in their final warm-up game. Poland are a decent side too....

yeah says it all really. Spain for me are awesome. The only way they might fail or not do as well is if their main play maker Inesta was more injured than they made out, but I reckon its not too serious and he'll be raving to go by the time their first game comes up. Also Torres will be fresh having just returned. Villa overrated?? WTF! did you watch the euros.....he was pretty awesome. One of my tips for top scorer in the tournament.

Portugal are overrated if anything. Also Nani is out now which is a big blow for them. I tell you what, I really hope they beat Brazil and top their group as then we would be scheduled to meet them or Holland in the semis. Sure as hell dont want Brazil in the semis. Let Spain knock them out in the other half of the draw and we'll have a pop at Spain in the final!!!!

The way I see it is that it is VITAL that we top out group. Then the likelihood is we will get say Ghana or someone worse in the last 16. France in the last 8 - no pushovers but I reckon we could beat them if we play well - and then Portugal in the semis....revenge time! Relies on Portugal topping their group tho and beating Brazil on the 25th!

We can do it guys....have some faith!!

Iniesta has a minor injury, although I imagine he'll be okay for the tournament. How good must they be if Fabregas is only on the bench (as is usually the case I think)?

I can't imagine England winning it, but at times during qualification we were awesome. I'd feel a lot more confident if he'd picked someone who scores goals instead of Heskey.

Just a thought........

Instead of thinking others will do well,us English DON'T REALLY know about South Americans and others,for example,people seem to worry if perhaps the Ivory Coast beat the Scilly Isles 17-0 and then claim they're world beaters......

Granted,there are some exceptional sides about,but for fooks sake,we're English,and have some gifted,talented players,who may not be everyone's "cup of tea",myself included,but instead of worrying about others,let them worry about US !!!!

We've a good side,with established World-known players,that other countries should fear.Others name-drop one or two players from non-Euro countries,and that's it,the majority of ours are well-known and instead of us being concerned,it should be vice-versa...

COME ON ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Iniesta has a minor injury, although I imagine he'll be okay for the tournament. How good must they be if Fabregas is only on the bench (as is usually the case I think)?

I can't imagine England winning it, but at times during qualification we were awesome. I'd feel a lot more confident if he'd picked someone who scores goals instead of Heskey.

yeah we were discussing this at lunch. Whilst Heskey is shite and couldnt hit the proverbial cows arse, what he does do well is draw defenders away from Rooney creating space. The 2 do work well together!

Having just re-examined the wall chart I reckon we'll most probably get Serbia in the last 16 (not Ghana, esp since Essien is injured!) which is actually a pretty tough game :-((

yeah we were discussing this at lunch. Whilst Heskey is shite and couldnt hit the proverbial cows arse, what he does do well is draw defenders away from Rooney creating space. The 2 do work well together!

Having just re-examined the wall chart I reckon we'll most probably get Serbia in the last 16 (not Ghana, esp since Essien is injured!) which is actually a pretty tough game :-((

I think he'll play one up-front in the tougher games (with Barry sitting in the midfield) so I'm not sure how many other strikers will get a look in anyway. None are in great form at all, whereas Joe Cole's on-fire, so I reckon the midfield will be: Carrick/Lennon/Cole/Lampard/Gerrard...

I don't think Serbia would be a tough game mate, we can handle most European sides. It's those we can't get the ball off that are the problem!

The way I see it is that it is VITAL that we top out group. Then the likelihood is we will get say Ghana or someone worse in the last 16.

Interesting from a German perspective !! :P

The way I see it is that it is VITAL that we top out group. Then the likelihood is we will get say Ghana or someone worse in the last 16.

Interesting from a German perspective !! :P

Probably because if we meet and we totally outplay you, you'll still win! England v Germany games are always painful to watch, with one very significant and joyful exception.

Not that I'm bitter...

;)

It's getting really excited now, under two days to go. :bananamac:

I think he'll play one up-front in the tougher games (with Barry sitting in the midfield) so I'm not sure how many other strikers will get a look in anyway. None are in great form at all, whereas Joe Cole's on-fire, so I reckon the midfield will be: Carrick/Lennon/Cole/Lampard/Gerrard...

I don't think Serbia would be a tough game mate, we can handle most European sides. It's those we can't get the ball off that are the problem!

Oh dear I do hope not as whenever ive seen Rooney up front on his own before we have been shite. He gets too isloated and we end up just playing a long ball.

Our best formation is definitely 4-4-2

Other formations have been tested to death and simply dont work.

It's getting really excited now, under two days to go. :bananamac:

This really surprised me when I saw it on the news last night. For whatever reason (I think because my wife said it) I thought it started on 21st of June. Then I hear the Aussies play on Monday already. Just having a quick look at the TV guide and it doesn't have match schedules, but it looks like the telecast itself starts at 11:30pm. :lol: Oh well, I'll see what I can do but something tells me I won't get to see much of this world cup at all...

Jeebers Christ! Just found out, Aussies play Serbia at 4:30am on Monday morning. As I will be out in the sticks over the long weekend without a TV, there is not a chance I'll get to see this (and let's be honest - at 4:30am on a Monday morning did it ever stand a chance?). :(

Oh well, maybe game 2...