2010 FIFA WORLD CUP

Dave

"Australia is made up of English convicts"

Well, I really thought this was true !! Isn't this so ?!?!

:lol::rofl2:

I think it is to a certain extent. But we sent them to a land of sun, sea and awesome beaches while we stayed in the land of grey clouds and err, drizzling rain.

So the Aussies should actually be more grateful ! I think they owe you guys ! :tumbsup:

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Australia is made up of English convicts"

Well, I really thought this was true !! Isn't this so ?!?!

:lol::rofl2:

I think it is to a certain extent. But we sent them to a land of sun, sea and awesome beaches while we stayed in the land of grey clouds and err, drizzling rain.

I have heard a lot of people saying that "Australia is made up of English convicts", some of them not even joking. Quite an incredible statement, but it raises quite an interesting question. Are there many descendants of convicts in Oz? I found this:

It looks as though by 1868, when transportation ended, fewer than 200,000 convicts had been brought in, whereas the total population was over 1,000,000. Far more free immigrants than convicts settled Australia.

A lot more people arrived in Australia during the gold rush. Another site estimated that fewer than 3% of modern day Australians are descended by convicts, I doubt that is much more than the UK - surely at least 3% of us must have convicts somewhere in our (direct) family tree?

None of this has anything to do with football, but it piqued my interest.

As for the World Cup, I bet a lot of these Aussies who claim to have no interest in football would suddenly take notice if they got to the quarters or semis. Which is, in my opinion, perfectly normal; e.g. I don't like rugby league, but if England were in the World Cup Final I'd be well into it. I'd follow England in most sports if we had a chance, although I wouldn't enjoy them as much as football, cricket or tennis.

I have heard a lot of people saying that "Australia is made up of English convicts", some of them not even joking. Quite an incredible statement, but it raises quite an interesting question. Are there many descendants of convicts in Oz? I found this:It looks as though by 1868, when transportation ended, fewer than 200,000 convicts had been brought in, whereas the total population was over 1,000,000. Far more free immigrants than convicts settled Australia.A lot more people arrived in Australia during the gold rush. Another site estimated that fewer than 3% of modern day Australians are descended by convicts, I doubt that is much more than the UK - surely at least 3% of us must have convicts somewhere in our (direct) family tree? None of this has anything to do with football, but it piqued my interest.

Thanks for that! Interesting stuff, you learn something new everyday. As usual certain facts get exaggerated over time. :)

As for the World Cup, I bet a lot of these Aussies who claim to have no interest in football would suddenly take notice if they got to the quarters or semis. Which is, in my opinion, perfectly normal; e.g. I don't like rugby league, but if England were in the World Cup Final I'd be well into it. I'd follow England in most sports if we had a chance, although I wouldn't enjoy them as much as football, cricket or tennis.

Totally agree and also guilty of doing so myself. This year, like every year, I'm gonna support the underdogs (after England of course). Go Honduras!!!

So the Aussies should actually be more grateful ! I think they owe you guys ! :tumbsup:

Everytime I look out of my window :cussing:

:P

• 2 months later...

Well, the World Cup is upon us, so that brings... World Cup Pick 'em! :P

http://us.wc.fantasy...am?GID=12651&P=

Group ID#: 12651

Get points for picking the correct outcome (win or draw) and bonus points for predicting the correct score.

Outside of the main teams (England, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal) and the U.S. team, I know next to nothing about these guys, so this should be an experience.

Join up and give it a shot. :beerbang:

Get points for picking the correct outcome (win or draw) and bonus points for predicting the correct score.

Outside of the main teams (England, Spain, Italy, France, Brazil, Argentina, Netherlands, Germany, Portugal) and the U.S. team, I know next to nothing about these guys, so this should be an experience.

Do you have to be a Yahoo member to join? This would be a bit of harmless fun if I can find a way to join up. Like you, I have no idea but I'm always up for an occasion like this. :)

Just had a go at the first round of matches. For so many of these games, I could make a different prediction every time I look at it, which is part of what I love about the World Cup. Football knowledge could be a hindrance for a lot of the games, as I think there could be a lot of strange results. Hopefully a few people on HH will have a go, it should be fun.

BTW, it does look like you need a Yahoo account unfortunately. I hope that doesn't put too many people off.

Is the World Cup not of much interest to most people here? Apart from my kids, it's the only thing keeping me going at the moment!

I was thinking of trying to do a 'Hard Rock World Cup' thread to run at the same time, but I think it would be a lot of effort ... and then be pretty rubbish anyway. th_shrug.gif

Is the World Cup not of much interest to most people here? Apart from my kids, it's the only thing keeping me going at the moment!

I was thinking of trying to do a 'Hard Rock World Cup' thread to run at the same time, but I think it would be a lot of effort ... and then be pretty rubbish anyway. th_shrug.gif

Can't wait for it. Will be watching quite alot of it sitting by the pool in the sunshine whilst on Holiday. Marvellous.

Can't wait for it. Will be watching quite alot of it sitting by the pool in the sunshine whilst on Holiday. Marvellous.

Apart from the Brits no interest will be shown by others..........Til their team/Country might actually beat someone !!!!!!!!

Apart from the Brits no interest will be shown by others..........Til their team/Country might actually beat someone !!!!!!!!

Presumably Swazi (hope I've got the name right) will be an exception to that and will be massively into it.

Hope some more people do the predictions and it is more than just a 2-man competition! :)

Can`t wait for the world cup, my wife is already moaning at the fact I`ll be spending a fair few hours in front of the telly other than watching Home And Away! :whistle::lol:

Looking forward to seeing Messi, not sure who I think will win it, possibly Spain, Brazil, not England!

Hey! What am I, chopped liver? tongue.gif

I've come to rather enjoy the international matches; the Euros in 2008 produced some HIGHLY entertaining footie, particularly from Spain and the Netherlands.

Like most, I figure Spain and Brazil are the obvious favorites to take the Cup, but there will be plenty of upsets along the way I'd say. Lesser knowns like Honduras, the Ivory Coast, and the U.S. have a way of sneaking up on ya sometimes. wink.gif

I'd love to see the U.S. and England both make it outta their group to the knock-out rounds. tumbsup.gif

Mike

Nice to see a bit more interest. I don't think Brazil will win it (so get your money on them now!) but Spain look very strong, deservedly favourites. I think the Dutch could do well, I may have a couple of quid on them, as I can't see anyone else getting close to Spain. Would love to see England do well at last, it would lift my Crystal Palace-related gloom, but it looks very unlikely. We have one class player in Rooney, whereas Spain have Iniesta, Torres, Fabregas, etc. Really looking forward to watching teams like Nigeria, Chile, Honduras, Ivory Coast, etc. That's what the World Cup is all about.

Swazi (Bernd) will be following Germany,with a nod toward Sth Africa,for sure.But if the U.S.A. and Australia actually win a game,all of a sudden interest will be taken.And of course.......

COME ON ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey! What am I, chopped liver? tongue.gif

I've come to rather enjoy the international matches; the Euros in 2008 produced some HIGHLY entertaining footie, particularly from Spain and the Netherlands.

Like most, I figure Spain and Brazil are the obvious favorites to take the Cup, but there will be plenty of upsets along the way I'd say. Lesser knowns like Honduras, the Ivory Coast, and the U.S. have a way of sneaking up on ya sometimes. wink.gif

I'd love to see the U.S. and England both make it outta their group to the knock-out rounds. tumbsup.gif

Mike

You seem to be an exception Mike... :drink:

Jeezus.... what is up with all these damned injuries

England: Beckham (way prior I know, but still), Ferdinand

Germany: Ballack, Adler

Ivory Coast: Drogba

USA: Altidore

Nigeria: Mikel

Netherlands: Robben

Portugal: Bosingwa

Ghana: Essien (back in January, but again, damn!)

France: Diarra

It's the year of the "Chelsea curse" it seems.... :unsure:

Yeah, I think Ferdinand will be a huge loss for England, but I still think we could be anything, i.e. very poor or surprisingly good.

I too would like to see Australia win a couple of games (especially the first one :D). As long as they don't beat England (which is definitely possible). If they do, we'll all have to stay away from the internet for 4 years.

Yeah, I think Ferdinand will be a huge loss for England, but I still think we could be anything, i.e. very poor or surprisingly good.

I too would like to see Australia win a couple of games (especially the first one :D). As long as they don't beat England (which is definitely possible). If they do, we'll all have to stay away from the internet for 4 years.

Even if,and I mean IF,the Aussies ever beat England,they've won the World Cup !!!!!......In their eyes anyway ! :whistle::whistle:

Swazi (Bernd) will be following Germany,with a nod toward Sth Africa,for sure.But if the U.S.A. and Australia actually win a game,all of a sudden interest will be taken.And of course.......

COME ON ENGLAND !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You bet !!!! I can't wait !!

Anyone else joined the prediction league yet? Only 6 of us in so far...

Who do you really think will win? I think Spain all the way, they have so many class players.

Anyone else joined the prediction league yet? Only 6 of us in so far...

Who do you really think will win? I think Spain all the way, they have so many class players.

I have to agree; unless they have a key injury or someone else like Brazil or England "gets hot" at just the right moment, Spain should take it.

* ESPN has a nice "Bracket Predictor" game (this is similar to the NCAA brackets for any college basketball fans reading) at: http://games.espn.go.com/bpredictor/en-us/frontpage

Easy to join up, pick your bracket, and join a "Fans of" group. :tumbsup:

Spain have got to be favourites.

Never write off Brazil tho.

England I think will maybe make the last 8 and will then go out in the usual rollercoaster way....ie playing really well and getting stuffed by a late goal or on penalties!

Glad to see people making up their mind about how the Aussies will approach the world cup... good to see. I, for one, will try to set my alarm for the few (and by few, I mean few. If losing 3-1 to the US [no disrespect, guys] is any indication of how we'll go, I dare say it'll be a brief world cup for us) Aussie games to see how we go. I admit I had no interest in the lead-up/qualifications, or any other soccer in Australia, but I've always tried to get into the Soccer World Cup, just as I have the Rugby Union World Cup... even though I wouldn't dream of watching either game at a non-international level. But I guess it's like the Olympics. You wouldn't generally watch any sport there, but it's always good to get behind your country. It's hard not to get a little involved and I'll do my best to support the Aussies with my eyeballs and lost sleep.

The hard thing for us Aussies, is that aside from soccer being a poor sport, professionally, I assume it'll also be on TV at some ungodly hour of the morning here, in the middle of winter. So unless you're a real soccer enthusiast, unemployed, or, like me, like to get behind your team as much as you can during times of world cup-like events, it's really quite a struggle to actually bother. I have no doubt that the games I do see will probably be from behind one and a half closed eyelids. :)

Spain have got to be favourites.

Never write off Brazil tho.

England I think will maybe make the last 8 and will then go out in the usual rollercoaster way....ie playing really well and getting stuffed by a late goal or on penalties!

Spain for me aswell. England maybe last 8, if we pull our fingers out and play like we should. Hopefully there will be one or two upsets along the way (ie The Germans getting knocked out as quickly as humanly possible (sorry Bernd ;) ), which would be cool too. Hopefully it will be a good Tournament all round and one thing is for sure, I am going to enjoy it whilst I sit around a pool, drinking beer with friends on Holiday oh yes.