Winger

chocularok

And by the way...what the hell is wrong with me. Why have I never been able to get into the Pull disc when everyone and their dog seems to absolutely love it? :unsure:

You are not alone mate.

Overrated in a word.

Granted there are 3 or 4 killer songs on that disc...........and a bunch of filler too. :whistle:

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is absolutely no filler on Pull imo, but there was plenty on the first two albums for me.

As for this album, just got it in the mail and its fucking awesome.

I liked IV, but that was more of a grower, and this is more instant.

Yes, Kip isnt hitting the higher registers, but anyone who doesnt recognise this as Kip on vocals probably isnt that familiar with him in the first place. If you played this to me without telling me who it was, I would recognise his voice imediately.

I also cant hear any problems with the production, all I can hear is a fucking killer album.

I'd say its slightly heavier than Pull but thats probably more to do with the way Reb or John is laying down some heavier riffs, but Rebs defo bringing some old school 80s guitar to the fore as well.

This one will be on constant replay for a while I am sure!

I noticed that it's getting a US release next week and will be available on Amazon and I guess there's the possibility at that time you could find it in a walmart or other music stores. I wonder if the US version will be a digipack or not.

The US version may also be minus the final track, as although its listed as 'Bonus Track', some places are saying its 'European Bonus Track'.

I noticed that it's getting a US release next week and will be available on Amazon and I guess there's the possibility at that time you could find it in a walmart or other music stores. I wonder if the US version will be a digipack or not.

The US version may also be minus the final track, as although its listed as 'Bonus Track', some places are saying its 'European Bonus Track'.

And that wouldn't be a big deal since the bonus track is pointless IMO. :lol:

There is absolutely no filler on Pull imo, but there was plenty on the first two albums for me.

As for this album, just got it in the mail and its fucking awesome.

I liked IV, but that was more of a grower, and this is more instant.

Yes, Kip isnt hitting the higher registers, but anyone who doesnt recognise this as Kip on vocals probably isnt that familiar with him in the first place. If you played this to me without telling me who it was, I would recognise his voice imediately.

I also cant hear any problems with the production, all I can hear is a fucking killer album.

I'd say its slightly heavier than Pull but thats probably more to do with the way Reb or John is laying down some heavier riffs, but Rebs defo bringing some old school 80s guitar to the fore as well.

This one will be on constant replay for a while I am sure!

Couldn't of said it better myself. :drink:

And that wouldn't be a big deal since the bonus track is pointless IMO. :lol:

Yeah, I hadnt actually heard it as I was one or two tracks from the finish when I posted that.

Just dont get the point of things like that tacked onto the end of an album. It probably wouldnt have been so bad as an interlude between tracks, but it stands out like a sore thumb at the end!

Spun it again already, and it just sounds better and better.

Probably the weakest track in my opinion (other than the Rod Morgenstein bonus track) is After all this time.

Its not a bad song, but with the bluesy style of it, to me it actually sounds like a song that was written for a Richie Sambora solo CD, rather than this Winger CD.

I also think it suffers as its followed by the far superior ballad, Witness, which really is an old school Winger ballad, and could easily have slotted into the track listing of any of the first three albums.

Just listened through for the first time on Spotify and this is really good. In fact I love it.

For me its absolutely pisses on Pull from an extreme height.

'Witness' is f excellent and no doubt one of the best songs of the year.

He's back to Kip Winger instead of Wanger.

I'm totally digging this cd...anybody that doesn't think it kicks ass needs to have their head examined. It's got all the elements of Pull, but with a liitle more balls. Great stuff.

On a side note, I can't get the damn "making of" video to work...all I get is sound, but no pic. Anybody else having problems?

I'm totally digging this cd...anybody that doesn't think it kicks ass needs to have their head examined. It's got all the elements of Pull, but with a liitle more balls. Great stuff.

On a side note, I can't get the damn "making of" video to work...all I get is sound, but no pic. Anybody else having problems?

Video works fine for me.

I had it playing in Real Player, so maybe you need to try another media player if you are not using that.

So I decided to order this one, after all the great comments. The soundbytes didn't sound great but I should've learnt by now not to trust my instincts! It better not be like "IV" or it will be straight back on eBay....

So I decided to order this one, after all the great comments. The soundbytes didn't sound great but I should've learnt by now not to trust my instincts! It better not be like "IV" or it will be straight back on eBay....

I doesn't sound like IV.

I doesn't sound like IV.

Wes - your personal guarantee is enough for me on this one. :D

This is one of those albums I really want to like....

Karma is much more Rock and much less moody than IV...the albums are just different...I find them both to be of high quality.

:agree: What he said. Bottom line I don't think you have anything to worry about Tim, it sounds NOTHING like IV.

Okay, now that the honeymoon is over, a few more thoughts after some more spins. Still loving the disc, but just a few amendments I'd personally have made:

The track running order doesn't flow the way it should with an album with this many great songs. The first five songs are all heavy rockers, one after another with ballsy big riffs. So one after another, all in a row you get all the heaviness done, but then the second half of the album features two ballads and two balladic numbers and only one hard rocker (the killer 'Feeding Frenzy').

I just find that 'Supernova' is probably the album's weakest song, but linked with the ballad, 'Always within me' they kind of join as one. 'Always within me' is a good song, but should have been surrounded by metal. Same with 'After all these years'. Good song, but completely pales in comparison to, by far, the best ballad of the album, 'Witness'.

Only a minor complaint, but I just wished they'd mixed the first five in with the last five a little better. Also, as the ballads are clearly the weaker songs on the album, I kind of wish they'd just put 'Witness' on there and done 3 more hard rockers instead of 'Supernova', 'Always within me' and 'After all these years'. :)

Supernova for me is probably the closest sounding song to anything off f IV, in my opinion, but differs mainly because Reb has been let loose all over this album.

I must admit, the flow of the album for me was an issue as well, but mainly because for me, After all this time, which is my weakest track, suffers even more by being followed by the far superior Witness, which obviously has similar pacing being that they are both ballads.

I think the main differences between this and IV are the fact the album, while heavier, isnt as dark with some very upbeat lyrics, and that Reb is soloing all over the place (the one thing that let IV down in my opinion, was that Reb seemed to be reduced to just riffing).

I think the only reason that I can overlook the fact that there are a lot of balladic tracks on here is that even they are fairly heavy.

So after one spin this is pretty cool stuff. Kip definitely sings in a lower register these days, but it suits the music fine. To be honest I really didn't take to the first couple of tunes at all but after that it really takes off. The bonus track is stupid, and the production could've been better, but otherwise this is a real surprise. With this level of budget it would've been impossible for this to sound like any of their first 3 discs, and it's definitely not as good as any of those discs either, but it's still pretty impressive stuff & a definite keeper.

For the record I love it. Track running order doesnt really bother me too much.

By the way no-ones really mentioned 'Pull Me Under' yet?? Wicked tune.

Defo a top 5 for me.

Reb Beach rules this record..........

So after one spin this is pretty cool stuff. Kip definitely sings in a lower register these days, but it suits the music fine. To be honest I really didn't take to the first couple of tunes at all but after that it really takes off. The bonus track is stupid, and the production could've been better, but otherwise this is a real surprise. With this level of budget it would've been impossible for this to sound like any of their first 3 discs, and it's definitely not as good as any of those discs either, but it's still pretty impressive stuff & a definite keeper.

Glad to see you liked it Tim. :headbanger: