Winger

chocularok

Just got this one in the mail today and am spinning it for the first time right now.

4 songs in so far and I really like the first 3 songs, kind of a mix of "Pull" and maybe a little "IV", not really sounding exactly like "IV" but in places is darker and heavier like that disc was/is. Will have to spin it a few times to know for sure how feel about this one.

Just noticed the Donnie Purnell(Former Kix bassist/songwriter) co-wrote "Deal with the Devil".

"Always Within Me" is a great song IMO and one of my favs so far along with "Stone Cold Killer". I'd say that "Always Within Me" will definately appeal to old school Winger fans, it kind of has a mix of the debut and 'Pull'.

One downside to this disc is it's a fucking Digi-pack. :doh:

Wes, just curious where you bought your copy from? I might pick this one up if the consensus is that it's pretty good.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got this one in the mail today and am spinning it for the first time right now.

4 songs in so far and I really like the first 3 songs, kind of a mix of "Pull" and maybe a little "IV", not really sounding exactly like "IV" but in places is darker and heavier like that disc was/is. Will have to spin it a few times to know for sure how feel about this one.

Just noticed the Donnie Purnell(Former Kix bassist/songwriter) co-wrote "Deal with the Devil".

"Always Within Me" is a great song IMO and one of my favs so far along with "Stone Cold Killer". I'd say that "Always Within Me" will definately appeal to old school Winger fans, it kind of has a mix of the debut and 'Pull'.

Wes, just curious where you bought your copy from? I might pick this one up if the consensus is that it's pretty good.

I ordered mine from Nehrecords where I order most of my discs.

However after I got it I noticed that it's getting a US release next week and will be available on Amazon and I guess there's the possibility at that time you could find it in a walmart or other music stores. I wonder if the US version will be a digipack or not.

I ordered mine from Nehrecords where I order most of my discs.

However after I got it I noticed that it's getting a US release next week and will be available on Amazon and I guess there's the possibility at that time you could find it in a walmart or other music stores. I wonder if the US version will be a digipack or not.

Ah, good info Wes. I was searching Best Buy site last night and didn't see it and was wondering why. I figured Winger should get some store representation for awhile but I didn't know it had not been released here yet. Cool, thanks.

Well, it must be said. Whoever handled this release seems to have done a great job keeping it under wraps. As far as I can tell, this hasn't been leaked yet, which is amazing these days.

Probably because no-one can be bothered.

Except me.

how about the old school way of actually buying it :whistle:

Or saving your money for something better? This is (aside from a couple of decent 'ish tunes) pretty bad IMO. AVOID.

Well, it must be said. Whoever handled this release seems to have done a great job keeping it under wraps. As far as I can tell, this hasn't been leaked yet, which is amazing these days.

Except me.

Or saving your money for something better? This is (aside from a couple of decent 'ish tunes) pretty bad IMO. AVOID.

Well Tim I actually own the cd and I'm here to tell that this cd is very good with a great mix of Pull with some of the melodies of the debut. If you like Pull you will like this cd it's that simple.

What I find strange is that some people were freaking out over the samples of IV but then hated the cd but some people don't like the samples to this disc so something tells me if they actually heard it all they would love it.

"Always Within Me" is blowing me away just like "Headed for a Heartbreak" did 21 years ago.

Turns out to be your all out melodic hard rocking album. It's everything you could expect from a new Winger release to me. Witness, Always Within Me and Stone Cold Killer are early favorites. Listening to After All This Time and Pull Me Under now, 2 more great tunes IMO. I have to say the musicianship between Kip Winger and Reb Beach really shines once more. Not to forget all the rest of these fine musicians of course.

I echo that if you were a fan of Pull you'll like this. Yet to me it has elements of all releases right up to IV in it. I've also enjoyed most of Kip Winger's output out to different extends. At least he, and the band Winger doesn't disappoint me. That said catchy in your face structures on rockers such as Madalaine or power ballads as Miles Away are not present. At least not against that quality production, that's played more straight here. Not necessarily inferior in this case, just a different type of production. There are enough catchy choruses, hooks and change-ups throughout the songs, but they're presented more experimental like Pull differs from the debut and In The Heart Of The Young. There are other elements such as keyboards, epic guitar solos and melodies of those records brought back in comparison to IV.

Make no mistake though, this is the Hard Rock, Pop Metal, something we know as the quality sound last seen popular in the 1980's we all love on here. IMO of course.

Except me.

Mate, if you want to travel down that path I have shelves of about 500+ CDs that I have bought this year, all of which I could not afford, and right now my next holiday is a lot more important than CDs for the moment. I will buy this, of that I am 100% convinced, but I can't do it now.

The production on this is ok at best... It's a good disk, but for some odd reason, it doesn't even sound like Kip singing to me... His voice has changed alot... Like I said, it's a decent disk, but just doesn't seem Winger-ish to be due to the voice and lack of production. I still prefer Pull.

The production on this is ok at best... It's a good disk, but for some odd reason, it doesn't even sound like Kip singing to me... His voice has changed alot... Like I said, it's a decent disk, but just doesn't seem Winger-ish to be due to the voice and lack of production. I still prefer Pull.

Of course Pull is better but considering the flack the band got for IV this is a great comeback IMO.

I don't hear any problems with the production and think Kip sounds great.

Of course Pull is better but considering the flack the band got for IV this is a great comeback IMO.

Kip ought to be paying you the commission for promoting this disc rather than Frontiers. The album kinda slipped out unnoticed, but with you behind them it could take-off! :P

Well, Jesus smiled upon me and I got to hear this and I'm totally and 100% with Wes. Firstly, it doesn't match 'Pull', but anyone who thinks they ever will has to remember that these guys were completely comfortable and established in their prime in 1992/1993. Putting aside the changing musical climate the scene was set for bands like Winger and Warrant to release what I believe are two of the genre's best albums. Sadly, the time and the moment has passed and although good music is being released almost weekly, the sad truth is it will never quite match what was possible back then. And especially for bands like Winger, who are as good as starting from scratch all over again.

Now, that being said... this is a KILLER Winger album. If you ask me it's their heaviest CD yet. With it's more polished million dollar sound 'Pull' probably comes off sounding heavier, but I think this one has more balls - albeit a little rawer. The riffs are just awesome throughout the whole disc. Great, almost metallic riffs at times. As Wes says, the bonus track is a write off but aside from that I enjoyed every single song. I thought 'Supernova' was the weakest song, but even that was pretty good. Basically, based on first impression they have completely 100% and totally redeemed themselves after the terrible 'IV'... and this album shares NOTHING in common with that CD. Big thumbs up and I'm already salivating at the idea of my next spin. Good on the guys for releasing as good an album as a realistic fan could expect from them... for now. :)

Kip ought to be paying you the commission for promoting this disc rather than Frontiers. The album kinda slipped out unnoticed, but with you behind them it could take-off! :P

I'm still waiting for my check from Frontiers. :whistle:

Seriously though I don't know how a fan of Hard Rock can't like this disc.

So do you have the cd itself or just some files or did you just hear samples?

I'm spinning this right now. Granted it's being played on crappy little speakers at work, but I am really liking this thing so far.

And by the way...what the hell is wrong with me. Why have I never been able to get into the Pull disc when everyone and their dog seems to absolutely love it? :unsure:

Damn "Witness" is another killer song with another killer Reb solo. :bowdown:

"Witness" would fit perfectly on In The Heart Of The Young

I just played some tracks for a few 80's rocker friends and asked them what they thought. I didn't tell them it was Winger. They liked what they heard. After 5-6 tracks, I told them who it was and they didn't believe me and the common response was that the voice was a little too low to be Kip's voice or that sounds nothing like Kip. The choruses were in the Winger style, but the verses sound nothing like Kip. I knew my ears weren't lying to me. I went back and listened to IV, even though I really didn't care for it for the most part and I could tell then that his voice was a little lower than on the first 3 CD's.

I just played some tracks for a few 80's rocker friends and asked them what they thought. I didn't tell them it was Winger. They liked what they heard. After 5-6 tracks, I told them who it was and they didn't believe me and the common response was that the voice was a little too low to be Kip's voice or that sounds nothing like Kip. The choruses were in the Winger style, but the verses sound nothing like Kip. I knew my ears weren't lying to me. I went back and listened to IV, even though I really didn't care for it for the most part and I could tell then that his voice was a little lower than on the first 3 CD's.

Age will do that to a voice...

Also, this may be his more natural style, and the earlier stuff was him trying more to fit into the genre of the time.

The timbre of his voice has actually deepened...but he's still a great singer...he has no need anymore to sing in such high registers on new material...

Tinkering with my guitar earlier, and I also think that Winger has tuned down half a step as well so Kip's voice may sound lower5