Pineda barred from singing ‘Journey’ songs in solo gigs

T-BONE

:rolleyes: Neal a bit of a control freak?

Arnel Pineda barred from singing ‘Journey’ songs in solo gigs

American members of popular rock band “Journey” have prohibited Filipino front man Arnel Pineda from singing the group’s original songs in his solo gigs in the Philippines.

Pineda made this confirmation to abs-cbnNEWS.com in a phone interview but he was quick to add that his band mates only want to keep the “sacredness” of “Journey” songs.

“Kasi mag-isa ako. So, kapag wala sila ay nawawala ‘yong sacredness ng kanta kapag hindi mo sila kasamang kumakanta,” Pineda explained.

The Filipino singer denied rumors that his American band mates had barred him from singing the group’s hits without them after he allegedly bungled some of the “Journey” songs in one of his performances.

Pineda’s alleged second-rate performance in Manila was purportedly uploaded on video-sharing Web site YouTube.

“No, no that’s not true. Walang ganoon,” Pineda stressed.

Formed in 1973, “Journey” is behind powerful ballads such as "Don't Stop Believing," "Any Way You Want It," "Faithfully," "Open Arms," "Send Her My Love," "Separate Ways," "Wheel in the Sky," "Who's Crying Now," "Stone In Love," and "Lights."

The band had changed its lead vocalist several times, most popular of whom was Steve Perry. Pineda was discovered in 2007 by member Neal Schon (guitar, background vocals) via YouTube.

The rest of the band members are Ross Valory (bass guitar, background vocals), Jonathan Cain(keyboard, background vocals), and Deen Castronovo (vocals, drums, percussion).

Meanwhile, Pineda disclosed that he is set to leave Manila in June to prepare for “Journey’s” upcoming United States concert tour, which will kick off in July.

The singer said he will be away for at least four months.

Isnt that how Schon discovered him? singing journey songs in the Philippines, I don't understand what the difference is between then and now, it's not like the fans are not going to go see Journey play when they tour there, or like he's getting over on anybody, if he was asked to refrain from doing Journey songs in advance then that's different, but other then that, it seems a little stupid and moot.

“Journey” is behind powerful ballads such as "Don't Stop Believing," "Any Way You Want It," "Faithfully," "Open Arms," "Send Her My Love," "Separate Ways," "Wheel in the Sky," "Who's Crying Now," "Stone In Love," and "Lights."

wow, didn't know some of those were "ballads". I must go back and listen. LOL.

Again Schon and the boys trying to control everything.

This is just stupid as Leykis said that's how he was discovered, singing Journey songs.

He's the singer of Journey, is he not? Then why should it matter?

Stories like this probably make Steve Perry happy that he's not in Journey.

Hey, if tribute bands can be sued for singing the songs of the bands they are a tribute to, why the fuck not?

I hope to hell Pineda is getting paid like a motherfucker, because it's only a matter of time before the Ego Boys screw him over just like they've done to every other lead singer who has sung for the band...

“Kasi mag-isa ako. So, kapag wala sila ay nawawala ‘yong sacredness ng kanta kapag hindi mo sila kasamang kumakanta,” Pineda explained.

Hell yeah, I can't tell you how many times I've said exactly that...

...whatever it is that that says... :unsure:

I believe he was singing "Karma Chameleon" in his native tongue since he's not allowed to touch the Journey songs.

That's pretty much a douche move on Journey's part.

I wonder what old Schoney boy would do if for one night only, he opened up with a hammering set of OH Sherry!, and finished the show off with a heart tugging rendition of You Better Wait?? not much they could do about that!

Wow. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, are Journey still a bunch of pricks?

• 2023 Gold Donors

...i just wish pinata would stop posting over in the comments section.You'd think he'd tire of seeing all those foreign language reviews of his being deleted.. ;)