Thoughts on FARCRY

Hey HH folk :-)

Everyone should be getting thier copy of HIGH GEAR between today and Thurs, as all orders were shipped out this past sat. So after you have a chance to digest it, please post here letting us know what you think. Both label and band are eagerly awaiting the public opinion.

Thank You

John Kivel

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought mine from AOR HEAVEN (sorry!), but I think it's killer. I have to say that I like this more than ROCKARMA, style-wise it's more my thing. Another big production job (it sounds crisp but still Modern) and I love the guitar tone on it. Absolutely essential for 99% of HH board members IMO, and if it weren't for the staggering quality of the new PLACE VENDOME album then it would top my best of 2009 (to date) list...

I just got my copy today and I'm at home on my lunch break jamming to it right now.

I'm just a few songs in but so far it's awesome Melodic Rock. "Have It All" is a killer heavy track that might have the greatest guitar solo of the year. Just when you think the solo is over Pete keeps on shredding. :bowdown:

I just got my copy today and I'm at home on my lunch break jamming to it right now.

I'm just a few songs in but so far it's awesome Melodic Rock. "Have It All" is a killer heavy track that might have the greatest guitar solo of the year. Just when you think the solo is over Pete keeps on shredding. :bowdown:

SO if you got your copy today, that means mine should have arrived yesterday? ;)

I guess us poor widdle Austwalians won't get this before Easter, will we? Curse you, Easter Bunny! Why have you given us a public holiday on Frida- wait, come to think of it... sorry Pete. Your CD can wait. It's PARTY TIME!!! But seriously, hope this comes before Thursday night, but if not I'll be sitting at my letterbox on Tuesday with my mouth open waiting to digest this. :)

I guess us poor widdle Austwalians won't get this before Easter, will we? Curse you, Easter Bunny! Why have you given us a public holiday on Frida- wait, come to think of it... sorry Pete. Your CD can wait. It's PARTY TIME!!! But seriously, hope this comes before Thursday night, but if not I'll be sitting at my letterbox on Tuesday with my mouth open waiting to digest this. :)

Did you order yours direct from Pete then? I think I need this asap.

Did you order yours direct from Pete then? I think I need this asap.

Ignore that...just realised you all obviously ordered from Kivel. Cheers

This is what I wrote in first spin impression thread:

FarCry - High Gear

After waiting for almost 6 months for this it's finally playing in my stereo. So what does this thing sound like?

Well if you remember back to the days of being young and cruising around in the summer with your windows down and jamming to all of the great melodic rock bands of the day then that's what you get hear. I'm talking Def Leppard, early Winger, White Lion, Tyketto(I could totally hear Danny Vaughn singing these songs), Hardline, Danger Danger, Bon Jovi(back when they were good) and many others but it's all tied up with a solid modern production. Sure the spirit of the 80's/early 90's is found here but it doesn't sound dated at all and I could totally hear many of these songs on the radio today. Pete and the rest of the band along with Kivel and everyone else(Ty Simms) who worked on this should be giving each other highfives because they've hit a homerun with this release. Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

got mine today :tumbsup:

although werent the preordered CDs supposed to be signed and/or come with album art? :unsure:

as for the actual music, some great stuff on here!! my personal faves are tracks 2 and 3 (i think, i dont even know the names of them yet :s)

the second track sounds like Warrant covering Winger to me, interesting idea but i think musically its got that Winger groove, but Mark sounds a little like Jani Lane back on the Cherry Pie record, but thats a good thing IMO :tumbsup:

also on track 3, Mark sounds a little like a mix between Erik Johnson from Bombay Black (who i notice had alot to do with the album as always) and Richard Black :tumbsup:

Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

oh yeah, i fking love the solos on the album!! nice work Pete :D :D

Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

oh yeah, i fking love the solos on the album!! nice work Pete :D :D

Thanks man, much appreciated, spent a lot of time doing them so it's good to know they're appreciated! :drink:

BTW on a side note, some of you may have noticed that the track listing on the rear insert is incorrect. I've submitted the CD in it's correct form to CDDB, and it is also listed correctly here. :)

BTW on a side note, some of you may have noticed that the track listing on the rear insert is incorrect. I've submitted the CD in it's correct form to CDDB, and it is also listed correctly here. :)

Yeah I noticed that and to be honest I was confused when the first track started and I was trying to follow along withe lyrics. I figured you were just trying to keep us on our toes. :tumbsup:

Haven't ordered a copy yet cuz I'm too broke :crying:

Still waiting for my copy to arrive.. :crying:

Hey aMH

Sorry to hear your one of the ones still waiting. Did you order from the label? Email me your order info and ill look into when yours went out. Also Sambora rocks. All pre order customers were suppose to get a signed cd. If you were a pre order customer and didnt get a signed cd, we apologize. We will get a replacement cd sleeve out to your in tomorrows mail along with a FARCRY poster.

As for the song order issue. Yes there was a snafu with the track order for some odd reason. Funny thing is the proofs we approved were with the correct order. However the final was not. Instead of pushing it back yet again we decided why not. Hey it came out on April 1st. Consider it our own lil april fools joke. LOL. fyi...the lyrics are in the proper order. Its just the back tray that is incorrect. Please keep the comments coming as we are enjoying the feedback!!!

Thank You

John

Thanks John!! this is one of the reasons that Kivel is my favourite label :tumbsup:

although the booklet and HH listing dont match....HH says "Heaven, Nowhere Fast, Out of Reach" with Kick Me Down as track 7, but the booklet says "Heaven, Kick Me Down, Nowhere Fast" making KMD track 5 :unsure:

I love every single song on this album! :headbanger:

(Full disclosure--I haven't actually gotten the CD in the mail yet, but I'm pretty confident the above is still true.)

Damn this thing is GOOD! John, you've got yourself a winner with this one! The timing on the release is damn near perfect, because it's just in time for warmer weather and crankin' kickass rock in the car with the windows rolled down. And this is the perfect album for that!

Time to pick my favorite tracks: "Love Won't Wait", "Fine Line", "Heaven", "Out Of Reach" (really love this one!) and "Nowhere Fast". A few nights ago I woke up with "Fine Line" in my head, and that was from just hearing the soundbytes. But "Out Of Reach" really surprised the hell out of me...Outstanding tune!

Great work Pete! (me at DRF when FarCry goes on----> :beerbang: )

Damn this thing is GOOD! John, you've got yourself a winner with this one! The timing on the release is damn near perfect, because it's just in time for warmer weather and crankin' kickass rock in the car with the windows rolled down. And this is the perfect album for that!

Time to pick my favorite tracks: "Love Won't Wait", "Fine Line", "Heaven", "Out Of Reach" (really love this one!) and "Nowhere Fast". A few nights ago I woke up with "Fine Line" in my head, and that was from just hearing the soundbytes. But "Out Of Reach" really surprised the hell out of me...Outstanding tune!

Out of Reach eh? I was really on the fence with that one when we first started doing it for the album but I really enjoy it now, got a little country flavor in it or something...

I love every single song on this album! :headbanger:

(Full disclosure--I haven't actually gotten the CD in the mail yet, but I'm pretty confident the above is still true.)

It's coming my friend, I packed and shipped it myself!

Out of Reach eh? I was really on the fence with that one when we first started doing it for the album but I really enjoy it now, got a little country flavor in it or something...

I'm a big fan of "Out of Reach" too. Great tune. :tumbsup:

I'm a big fan of "Out of Reach" too. Great tune. :tumbsup:

I got a Firehouse vibe on that track.