Thoughts on FARCRY

As I was carefully reading the booklet, I noted a particular thank you to some dudes name Rick, Wes and Chad a.k.a. The Dakota Rock Fest Party Crew! How cool is that?? :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang: Pretty damn cool!!! :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger: Thanks to YOU Pete!!!! We're all back this year for 2009!!! Wes, you bring sunscreen, Rick, you bring the Rockarma business card and leave Evil Rick at home. I will bring Chris again (for Taco)!! Can't wait :banger::banger::banger:

Wow I didn't even notice that. That's pretty damn cool. Thanks for thank you Pete. :headbanger:

Backed that is AWESOME!!!!!!

Eric you should make the drive this year and meet up with us a DRF. :headbanger:

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a few spins I'm really loving this, especially the first few & last few tracks. Great CD artwork, killer production job, awesome performances. My only slight reservation is about the vocalist, who is clearly ultra talented, but I do wonder how awesome this would sound with a Fulkerson, Vaughn or Poley singing it?....

1. Love Won't Wait - Killer opener, very melodic & big hooky chorus. Stunning. Reminds me of Simon Chase/early Bon Jovi

2. Fine Line - Mid tempo smoother tune verging on AOR here. Another big tune

3. Have It All - Heavier tune but nice keys. Great rhythm guitar & the best soloing on the album.

4. Heaven - Killer track, perfectly placed & a perfect MHR 80's-style ballad

5. Nowhere Fast - Slightly out of place here, different style but good tune & great chorus

6. Out of Reach - Big highlight, well written song with stunning chorus. Another near-AOR tune, though the vocals are a key too low

7. Kick Me Down - Good tune, slightly heavier & some killer guitar work, but not a fave

8. She's Crazy - Cool/fun tune, more top class guitars & a rockier track

9. The Same Mistake - Start of a stunning closing trio, awesome laid-back song with a hooky chorus

10. Talk to Me - Big bombastic tune with another winning chorus

11. Those Were the Days - Awesome. Like Bon Jovi's "Wild in the Streets", perfect summertime tune & a great closer

I finally got my copy and I can honestly say it's awesome! The first song "Love Won't Wait" is such a killer, radio-friendly tune that I can't get it out of my head! I also love "She's Crazy" and "Those Were the Days". The rest of the album is a bit uneven in spots (more self-penned tunes by the band might have helped correct this) and the drums are solid, standard fare without much flare, but the guitar sound and Pete's unique style and enthusiasm tie the project together and makes it work. The packaging is fantastic, better than some bigger labels' releases. And the production is professional and classy, yet unobtrusive, a high compliment in my book.

Let me just say in closing, any small criticisms above are just that--small. If you are a fan of excellent hard rock, AOR or melodic metal, there is something that will excite you on this album. Get it now! :band:

Okay, after spinnin' this one nonstop since it arrived on Thursday, I want to give my take on High Gear. First off, great packaging. Very cool cover and booklet complete with lyrics and classy pictures of the band. Nicely done. Second, this album sounds great! It has a wall of sound and jumps from the speakers. Great production. Thirdly, it is a kick ass hard rock album which seems so hard to come by these days. Here's my rundown on the tracks:

1. Love Won't Wait - Great opening track. Pete leaves no doubt that he drives this song and his signature guitar sound shines throughout not only this track but the entire album. Awesome chorus on this one too.

2. Fine Line - This one has one of the coolest opening lines ever. It's infectious.

3. Have It All - The heaviest and my fave on the album. This one just rips from the get go. Pete shines on the solo and throughout the entire song. This song does Have It All. Truly.

4. Heaven - Stellar ballad ala the 80's.

5. Nowhere Fast - Not a fan of this tune at all. This song should have been left off the album. Enough said.

6. Out of Reach - Such a cool change of pace is this track. I love the "na na na na" chorus. While many times this would not work, this time it does. Very cool vocals on this one.

7. Kick Me Down - Nice Cowbell! Great guitar work by Pete. Not sure how he does it but I love the heavy guitar sound and then the sort of "pick strum" acoustic type sound he integrates into this one. Also love the chorus with the "slap in the face" lyrics. Very cool tune.

8. She's Crazy - I love songs that start with vocals. This one kind of plods along with a very cool rhythm and then kicks in with the "sit and spin" chorus. Awesome lyrics.

9. The Same Mistake - A very down to Earth tune. A mid-tempo rocker that pretty much sums up everyone's lives. Big dreams turn to reality. Life is what you make it. Most fall short, but many want more and try to live through their children only to find out that complacency breeds itself.

10. Talk to Me - LOVE the guitar in this one. Also the line "Don't give me that look" as it sounds like it is directed right at the listener with some serious angst. This is a grower as the more I hear it, the better it gets.

11. Those Were the Days - Party rock! Crack a beer and blow the speakers out with your favorite band cruising the lakes! Nothing serious here, just fun, nonsense rock and roll. A good way to end the album.

Have spun this 5-6 times now in the car and at home since yesterday and very very good it is too. For me the best tunes are in the first half, but

apart from 'Nowhere Fast', all the songs fit perfectly on here, are excellently played, have a good tight production + great sleeve art, so altogether one neat little package.

Fave tracks:

Have It All - Great guitar one this one and definitely my fave track

Heaven - Loved the Shotgun Alli version, and I really love this version too.

Love Won't Wait - Great opener with a killer chorus.

Out Of Reach - Another big song with a great chorus - was humming this one afterwards

Fine Line - BIG Big song

Nowhere Fast - WOW A Meatloaf/Steinman song, where did that come from. A brave move and whilst this is a good song, it doesn't quite fit in here and I felt the vocals were really struggling throughout.

Had this spinning while we were out in the garage enjoying some ice cold Coors Lights in the 50 degree weather. Damn this album goes great with beer! And I have to say I absolutely love the track "Out of Reach"!

This is what I wrote in first spin impression thread:

FarCry - High Gear

After waiting for almost 6 months for this it's finally playing in my stereo. So what does this thing sound like?

Well if you remember back to the days of being young and cruising around in the summer with your windows down and jamming to all of the great melodic rock bands of the day then that's what you get hear. I'm talking Def Leppard, early Winger, White Lion, Tyketto(I could totally hear Danny Vaughn singing these songs), Hardline, Danger Danger, Bon Jovi(back when they were good) and many others but it's all tied up with a solid modern production. Sure the spirit of the 80's/early 90's is found here but it doesn't sound dated at all and I could totally hear many of these songs on the radio today. Pete and the rest of the band along with Kivel and everyone else(Ty Simms) who worked on this should be giving each other highfives because they've hit a homerun with this release. Oh and it might be me but the guitar playing on this is just f#@king exceptional IMO and I'm not saying that because I know Pete, it's honestly that damn good. :bowdown:

I couldn't agree more! Just FANTASTIC! On my fourth spin in a row! Pat yourselves on the backs! A EXCELLENT job! Damn I want MORE of this!!! :bowdown:

As I was carefully reading the booklet, I noted a particular thank you to some dudes name Rick, Wes and Chad a.k.a. The Dakota Rock Fest Party Crew! How cool is that?? :beerbang::beerbang::beerbang: Pretty damn cool!!! :headbanger::headbanger::headbanger: Thanks to YOU Pete!!!! We're all back this year for 2009!!! Wes, you bring sunscreen, Rick, you bring the Rockarma business card and leave Evil Rick at home. I will bring Chris again (for Taco)!! Can't wait :banger::banger::banger:

Wow I didn't even notice that. That's pretty damn cool. Thanks for thank you Pete. :headbanger:

Eric you should make the drive this year and meet up with us a DRF. :headbanger:

I would really like too...Might have to look into that!!

Do it! My wife is taking a road trip out there with my daughter in tow... from Jersey! Come hang out with us!

Do it! My wife is taking a road trip out there with my daughter in tow... from Jersey! Come hang out with us!

Eric if you can make it the offer is open to crash at my place with the other hooligans that are making the trip. You'll loooove Taco! :lol:

Eric if you can make it the offer is open to crash at my place with the other hooligans that are making the trip. You'll loooove Taco! :lol:

Wow Eric must be special because I didn't get that offer. :lol:

That would be awesome if Eric could make it. :drink:

And Pete your wife is really driving out there? :blink:

Wes if you and the wife want to cuddle on the top bunk in my son's room that a-ok with me. :tumbsup:

Wes if you and the wife want to cuddle on the top bunk in my son's room that a-ok with me. :tumbsup:

Who's wife is cuddling with Wes in the top bunk? :unsure:

Who's wife is cuddling with Wes in the top bunk? :unsure:

His wife! He and His wife!! :lol:

Just got it in the mail this afternoon and I'm lovin' it. Great work Pete and also to the others from Farcry. I'm sure this one will be in my top 10 at the end of the year.

The only complaint is that the songs listed on the back insert are not in the actual running order....I'm being picky, but I figured out why it was done this way. I have to comb through the insert to find out the actual title of the tracks and what do I see, Pete's serious rocker face. So bascially I have to look at Pete everytime I want to know a title of a track....what a ham, always looking for exposure.

Awesome I love the top bunk. :banana:

Seriously though we'll probably just do the Holiday Inn Express thing.

I think she's gonna drop me off Thursday night and go shopping so there's a small chance I might be unsupervised that night. :banger:

Chris has dibs on Taco!!! Don't be pissing him off, we don't need "Evil Chris" too! :whistle:

I think she's gonna drop me off Thursday night and go shopping so there's a small chance I might be unsupervised that night. :banger:

Great, because there is a 100% chance that I have Friday off! :drink2:

I'm hungover just thinking about it. :lol:

I'm hungover just thinking about it. :lol:

Yay!!!! :chug:

Very cool! We get to meet Mrs. Pete and the small Fry!