Is there such a thing as quality control anymore?

Jimbo

This may be a trivial rant to most of you, but I just bought the re-issue of Y&T's "Mean Streak" on Krescendo Records (an awesome release, btw) and when I opened the case for the first time the CD popped onto the floor (groove side down, of course). It seems that all the plastic tines in the CD case were broken and the CD was laying in it loose. Not that big a deal, but it's brand new and this seems to happen all the time. What are the record companies doing with these cases? Using them for skeet shooting? Boxing the ears of pirates and bootleggers? It's getting more and more rare to find a wrapped CD in a case that's not already cracked on the outside or on the inside. Or is it just me? :unsure:

Yeah, I hate that shit immensly too. And I can never figure out how it happens is what f*cks me off most. The CD can be fully wrapped, case looks fine, but those f*cking prongs in the middle are all snapped off and all over the place.

Yeah, I hate that shit immensly too. And I can never figure out how it happens is what f*cks me off most. The CD can be fully wrapped, case looks fine, but those f*cking prongs in the middle are all snapped off and all over the place.

When I saw this thread this was my first thought. Perfect case but no teeth on the fuckin' CD tray. :angry: I hate that!

• My Little Pony

When I saw this thread this was my first thought. Perfect case but no teeth on the fuckin' CD tray. :angry: I hate that!

Like Geoff said, how the hell does that happen? What muppet is sticking the discs in the trays? What else is he sticking in there?

FM - Back In The Saddle......Really looking forward to this one :bananamac:

The missus went to the post office today and came back with the envelope I've been waiting for from NEH Records......The FM DVD.....Well when she passed me the envelope I heard a noise coming from inside the envelope :yikes: .....I gave it a slight shake and yes, you could hear the disc had come adrift from its holder :doh: "Oh for fucks sake was my reply" .....When I opened it up, sure enough the disc was loose and scratched to the fuckin' shithouse....I could not fuckin' believe it....I quickly flicked through it to see if it played alright which it did but I have not played it all yet to see if there is any problems.....fuck that pisses me off....What do you do???? Even though it plays alright do you keep it with a shit load of scratches on it or do you ask for another one and probably end up paying the shipping back to the USA???? Fuck me!!!!!!!

Fuck I hate buying online....fuckin' hassle after fuckin' hassle.

It's not just CD's, as with a purchase I made not long back. It also occurs with DVD's and like you Jimbo , it really pisses me off too and happens often :doh:

This may be a trivial rant to most of you, but I just bought the re-issue of Y&T's "Mean Streak" on Krescendo Records (an awesome release, btw) and when I opened the case for the first time the CD popped onto the floor (groove side down, of course). It seems that all the plastic tines in the CD case were broken and the CD was laying in it loose. Not that big a deal, but it's brand new and this seems to happen all the time. What are the record companies doing with these cases? Using them for skeet shooting? Boxing the ears of pirates and bootleggers? It's getting more and more rare to find a wrapped CD in a case that's not already cracked on the outside or on the inside. Or is it just me? :unsure:

Yes!

When purchasing a c.d., I usually shake it first to see if there is some rattaling noise. Sometimes, you don't even have to shake it before you notice something is broken inside.

If you purchase something online, you can pretty much suspect it!

My advise!

Always keep extra jewel cases for this dilemma and watch how you open the c.d., so it doesn't end up on the floor.

I hope this helps!! :tumbsup:

Yeah I fucking hate jewel cases, but I still haven't found a better alternative. I'd be happy with them if they were like the old jewel cases from the 80's/early 90's when the plastic was much higher quality and didn't break so easily. You just can't buy quality jewel cases anymore, anywhere.

It's the clear jewel case trays that are the main culprit, the classic black trays rarely had broken teeth in the middle. The clear ones are cheap ass plastic, they should have used a more rubbery and bendable plastic when they created them. The worst thing is when the teeth are broken and it's a lousy digipak, now you're fucked when that happens. Another thing that pisses me off is the cheap quality of the thin double cd jewel cases, those always break inside, they suck hard.

It's the clear jewel case trays that are the main culprit, the classic black trays rarely had broken teeth in the middle. The clear ones are cheap ass plastic, they should have used a more rubbery and bendable plastic when they created them. The worst thing is when the teeth are broken and it's a lousy digipak, now you're fucked when that happens. Another thing that pisses me off is the cheap quality of the thin double cd jewel cases, those always break inside, they suck hard.

That's my problem!

I bought a double c.d. last week (LILLIAN AXE-LIVE 2002), the jewel case is broken. I can't find a jewel case that will fit the inserts. I do have empty double disc jewel cases, but none that fit.

I need a beer! :crying:

This is an occuring problem. It really sucks. In my latest order from my usual online seller there was 3 cds and 1 digipack with broken teeths on the tray. And all were sealed. Man I hate these things...

I never got a digi with broken teeth, I think i'd go postal if I did!!! :axe:

I just got my Jungle Blue cds yesterday and found that both copies had all of the prong things in the middle broken out. I could hear rattling before I even opened the package. I knew it wasn't going to be good. So far 3 out of 4 cds that I've bought directly from Suncity have arrived that way. There has to be a way for cds to arrive from Austrailia without getting beat to heck.

I agree! :tumbsup:

Another problem is, c.d.'s being put out now are either digi pack or all clear!! You need to replace a clear with a clear. Since they don't sell clear (cases nowadays are blue tinted), you have to replace the whole case.

My theory is Major labels don't want to deal with c.d.'s anymore. I think they're gearing up for downloading all together. You can call me paranoid. When albums where starting to get phazed out during the mid 80's, I purchase a few albums that I had to replace more than once.

Call me a wack-job, but it's my theory!! :screwy: