Hockey Regular Season

Clutch

Good showing for the first game. Hopefully this is the effort they'll bring for the rest of the playoffs. They'll need it, or better, against the Flyers (for the rest of the series) and whoever advances to the second round.

I was hoping for better from the Canes and that Marty would still have his sieve-like qualities that he exhibited for the last few weeks/month of the season. Suffice to say, I'm pissed off right now. Here's to hoping the Canes come back in game 2 and thump Jersey.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2-0 for the Pens Brother Jay. Nice cushion in the first round. :drink:

I hear ya! Looking forward to going up 3-0 today. That could pretty much deflate Philly.

Glad to see the Canes even things up at 1. Hoping to see them go back home and go up 3-1. It's not nice to see anyone get hurt, but maybe the Canes will be able to capitalize on Langenbrunner not playing in Carolina to jump back in front of the series.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Canes signed Cole to a 2 year deal. Glad they kept him. He seemed to help us on that push to make the playoffs. Jay, you still shining that cup (drinking beer out of it)?

Haha, I WISH Chris. I'm already worrying about next season. I'm actually fairly happy Gill's gone; I think his large body/wingspan was great, but his deficiencies/age were exposed last year, especially in the playoffs. Scuderi, however, that's another matter. He was solid and will be missed. I don't know that Alex Goligoski or that Lovejoy kid are ready to step into his role. And this Mike Rupp from Jersey thing, interesting. (Glad they resigned Billy G. and Adams, but wondering if they'll get Fedetenko back.)

Hey, and you guys resigned Chad LaRose! That's a pretty big deal. He was solid last year, esp. in the playoffs and from what I'd been hearing, it didn't look too good. Hope Cole can stay healthy for yall.

Maybe we can have a rematch next May! :drink: (As long as Philly or Washington don't make it, I'm good. lol)

• 3 months later...
New season and the Canes are .....not good so far. Looks like a tough year ahead.

Hey Chris! Good to see you around!

Yeah, it's been a rough season so far for them. I still have Cam Ward in one of my leagues and had Ray Whitney in a couple. Been pretty disappointing so far. I hope they can get it together quickly. There are a few teams (Boston, Detroit, Montreal) that have started that way and a few others that have blown up unexpectedly. I see a shift coming here as teams get their feet under them now.

Me, I'm not complaining. (I'm just worried and hope they don't burn out too early.)

Good luck! (And good drinking! :drink: )

New season and the Canes are .....not good so far. Looks like a tough year ahead.

Hey Chris! Good to see you around!

Yeah, it's been a rough season so far for them. I still have Cam Ward in one of my leagues and had Ray Whitney in a couple. Been pretty disappointing so far. I hope they can get it together quickly. There are a few teams (Boston, Detroit, Montreal) that have started that way and a few others that have blown up unexpectedly. I see a shift coming here as teams get their feet under them now.

Me, I'm not complaining. (I'm just worried and hope they don't burn out too early.)

Good luck! (And good drinking! :drink: )

Dear God Jay! You've outdone yourself with the avatar. :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

It could be worse, they could be Minnesota. On that note...I was at the Wild-Hurricanes game last night. All I can say is IT WAS AWESOME! Too bad Minnesota has been unable to score more than 2 goals during regulation in a game this year.

• 3 weeks later...

It could be worse, they could be Minnesota. On that note...I was at the Wild-Hurricanes game last night. All I can say is IT WAS AWESOME! Too bad Minnesota has been unable to score more than 2 goals during regulation in a game this year.

Our rink should be shaped like a toilet right now because we're playing like total shit. Gawd we're awful.

Our rink should be shaped like a toilet right now because we're playing like total shit. Gawd we're awful.

And it just got worse, what with Ward going on IR. (Then again, maybe Legace will be a shot in the arm. Canes need something.)

Then again, Pens are on a 5 game loss run. 1-1 with the Devils right now, but I'm not majorly confident. Hope they can eke one out and then get Geno back. And Sarge not long after that. (And TK wouldn't hurt either. Heck, by the time they all get back, Max Talbot may be back.) It's like, even if it's not exactly the same, the losing streak they went on right before Therrien got fired. I think Bylsma's got a bit more rope, though. lol

• 1 month later...
Here's a blast from the past for hockey fans...I remember watching this game live.....what a great game.....I really miss what I consider to be the best hockey years ever......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n160NCxWseU

Here's a write up on the incident....

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/sports/h...&ref=sports

Here's a blast from the past for hockey fans...I remember watching this game live.....what a great game.....I really miss what I consider to be the best hockey years ever......

Oh yeah. High quality stuff right there. Milbury beating the Ranger fan with his own shoe!!

Here's a good one from the old school hockey days!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7buntyDB-Y...esh+div-1r-6-HM

Shame on me! I missed the Pens game last night. I don't know WHAT I was thinking. But, after seeing the results, I'm not sure it's a bad thing.

The Pens have played down to some inferior competition this year. That's a dangerous habit they need to break, ASAP! Also, for as strong as Fleury started the season, he's become less-than-inspiring lately. I hope the Olympic stuff isn't distracting him from what should be his real goal, repeating as Stanley Cup Champions.

Crossing my fingers for a better effort Tuesday night.

Oh yeah. High quality stuff right there. Milbury beating the Ranger fan with his own shoe!!

Here's a good one from the old school hockey days!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7buntyDB-Y...esh+div-1r-6-HM

That's a good one too.......here's a quote "I see referee Newell writing something down....probably his resignation"...... :lol:

• 1 month later...
Hey Jay, Canes are playing a LITTLE better. Not much, but enough to make me type this. :tumbsup:

Hey, after what you've had to struggle through so far this year, that definitely gives cause to you to post about it! Congrats! Looks like giving Staalsy the C ended up being not only a well-deserved, but smart move to make.

I don't know what Pittsburgh is doing. I hope they'll keep this roller coaster on track enough to stay in 4th place and not fall any further. Maybe catch fire late March or so.

Hey Jay, Canes are playing a LITTLE better. Not much, but enough to make me type this. :tumbsup:

Hey, after what you've had to struggle through so far this year, that definitely gives cause to you to post about it! Congrats! Looks like giving Staalsy the C ended up being not only a well-deserved, but smart move to make.

I don't know what Pittsburgh is doing. I hope they'll keep this roller coaster on track enough to stay in 4th place and not fall any further. Maybe catch fire late March or so.

BTW, the avatar bro. WOW!

Funny how this topic resurfaces today as I just returned home from the Cap's game. It was only my 3rd game I've gone to all year. This Sunday I am taking my 8 year old son to his first NHL game as the Capitals host the Lightning. He's been wanting to go for the longest time now. Ticket prices have prevented me from taking him until now.

So far this season I couldn't ask for more with the Caps in first place in the East and now with a 9 game win streak. If they win Sunday they will tie their all time mark for consecutive wins. Caps are clicking on all cylinders just hope they haven't peaked to early in the season.

Funny how this topic resurfaces today as I just returned home from the Cap's game. It was only my 3rd game I've gone to all year. This Sunday I am taking my 8 year old son to his first NHL game as the Capitals host the Lightning. He's been wanting to go for the longest time now. Ticket prices have prevented me from taking him until now.

So far this season I couldn't ask for more with the Caps in first place in the East and now with a 9 game win streak. If they win Sunday they will tie their all time mark for consecutive wins. Caps are clicking on all cylinders just hope they haven't peaked to early in the season.

It's amazing how that can happen; everything seems to roll all season long and you still, in the back of your mind, worry about that kind of thing. (With good reason; we've all seen things go bad quickly. For instance, that roll the Pens started the season with had me thinking, if not outright saying, "repeat!", but that first injury bug seems to have thrown them into some kind of funk out of which they seemingly can't completely get.) They've been on a roll all season, even with Ovie injured earlier this year and, more incredibly, the whole goaltending situation. Regardless of what minder is in net, they've got enough firepower to overcome any deficiency that particular goalie (or injury) has caused them. Very much looking like the "Beast from the East" right now, in comparison to the rest of the teams.

BTW, tell Eric Fehr to have a monster game. (I've got him in a few leagues and in one, I have to overcome an opponent with Ovechkin and Semin playing tomorrow. So I need Eric (and his linemates) to step up and stay on the ice more tomorrow. You know, have a bigger game than Ovie and Alex. Haha! One can dream, no?)

Enjoy that game. It's really great taking a kid to their first game. I've enjoyed that a few times. Good luck all the way around!

As a Brit I don't follow NHL, but I do love ice hockey (as we call it). The standard over here is pretty poor and there are no teams near where I live, so I haven't been to a game for years.

I always used to play as Toronto when I played NHL games on the Megadrive years ago, but the only game I have been to see was in Pittsburgh, so I suppose my two teams would be the Maple Leafs and the Penguins. Are they both pretty poor these days?