Hockey Regular Season

Clutch

As a Brit I don't follow NHL, but I do love ice hockey (as we call it). The standard over here is pretty poor and there are no teams near where I live, so I haven't been to a game for years.

I always used to play as Toronto when I played NHL games on the Megadrive years ago, but the only game I have been to see was in Pittsburgh, so I suppose my two teams would be the Maple Leafs and the Penguins. Are they both pretty poor these days?

Toronto is in the throes of a rebuilding process right now. They were starting to suffer a few years ago as Mats Sundin's age advanced and he had fewer and fewer complimentary players. When he left, most of their chances went as well. Brian Burke (a general manager with a pretty good track record, but also many detractors) is trying to build the Leafs back into a serious(ly regarded) team. They've got a few strong kids, but it'll probably be awhile before anyone looks at them as a serious threat.

Pittsburgh won the NHL championship (Stanley Cup) last year. They started off strong this season, but after injuries and a few bugaboos, have leveled off. They're currently strong enough to stay just above the middle of the pack, but not at the top. They have the talent to get back on top, if they can work out these problems and regain the form they had last spring when they won it all.

We'll see how things pan out after the Olympic break. Glad to have another hockey fan around. (We call it ice hockey too, but any other types (field hockey or roller hockey) are regarded as inferior to ice version, so it gets shortened to just "hockey" more often than not.)

By the way, how long ago were you in Pittsburgh? Just curious as to what version of the Penguins you saw. (Lemieux/Jagr, Crosby/Malkin, or some of the middling, less effective versions in between.)

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Brit I don't follow NHL, but I do love ice hockey (as we call it). The standard over here is pretty poor and there are no teams near where I live, so I haven't been to a game for years.

I always used to play as Toronto when I played NHL games on the Megadrive years ago, but the only game I have been to see was in Pittsburgh, so I suppose my two teams would be the Maple Leafs and the Penguins. Are they both pretty poor these days?

Toronto is in the throes of a rebuilding process right now. They were starting to suffer a few years ago as Mats Sundin's age advanced and he had fewer and fewer complimentary players. When he left, most of their chances went as well. Brian Burke (a general manager with a pretty good track record, but also many detractors) is trying to build the Leafs back into a serious(ly regarded) team. They've got a few strong kids, but it'll probably be awhile before anyone looks at them as a serious threat.

Pittsburgh won the NHL championship (Stanley Cup) last year. They started off strong this season, but after injuries and a few bugaboos, have leveled off. They're currently strong enough to stay just above the middle of the pack, but not at the top. They have the talent to get back on top, if they can work out these problems and regain the form they had last spring when they won it all.

We'll see how things pan out after the Olympic break. Glad to have another hockey fan around. (We call it ice hockey too, but any other types (field hockey or roller hockey) are regarded as inferior to ice version, so it gets shortened to just "hockey" more often than not.)

By the way, how long ago were you in Pittsburgh? Just curious as to what version of the Penguins you saw. (Lemieux/Jagr, Crosby/Malkin, or some of the middling, less effective versions in between.)

I saw Penguins play Devils in around 1999 or 2000. Pittsburgh were thrashed about 0-7!

My memory is quite poor, but I think Jagr was playing, he was always in my team when I played NHL games. Lemieux had retired I think.

Pleased to hear the Penguins have had some success. I've lost touch with my friends in Pittsburgh, but I had a great time over there. I would love to go to another NHL game one day, it's a great sport, probably between ice hockey and tennis for my favourite sport to watch after football (i.e. soccer) but I love Gridiron too.

BTW, I used to watch a team in the UK called the Guildford Flames. Great times, happy days!

That would be a probable timeframe. Lemieux hadn't yet returned the the NHL at that point. (He didn't come back until Dec. 27, 2000.) And that sounds like a very plausible score for a Penguins team from that era too. haha

I haven't gotten to as many Penguin games as I should over the past decade, seeing as I live 90 minutes away. But, I only miss maybe 5 games a year. (Or more, if the stupid blackout rule still applies when they're on the NHL Network.) You are correct though. Between Penguins games and the season tix I had to the Youngstown Steelhounds, hockey games are fun. Speed, brutality, precision scoring, friends, beer, and usually some amazing women. (Not to mention going out afterwards.) A TON of fun to be had at hockey!

I was actually headed to a Canes game this weekend until the shit (i.e. snow) hit. Going to try to set it up for a later date.

I just read that there were less than 7000 people at the game. (Which is bad timing because they knocked off an elite NHL team.)

But good on ya Canes! Keep it up!

[quote name='LV KIX' post='540993' date='Jan 30 2010,

edit of my mistake... :headbanger:

No idea what I have done now... :anon: .... :doh:

Funny how this topic resurfaces today as I just returned home from the Cap's game. It was only my 3rd game I've gone to all year. This Sunday I am taking my 8 year old son to his first NHL game as the Capitals host the Lightning. He's been wanting to go for the longest time now. Ticket prices have prevented me from taking him until now.

So far this season I couldn't ask for more with the Caps in first place in the East and now with a 9 game win streak. If they win Sunday they will tie their all time mark for consecutive wins. Caps are clicking on all cylinders just hope they haven't peaked to early in the season.

It's amazing how that can happen; everything seems to roll all season long and you still, in the back of your mind, worry about that kind of thing. (With good reason; we've all seen things go bad quickly. For instance, that roll the Pens started the season with had me thinking, if not outright saying, "repeat!", but that first injury bug seems to have thrown them into some kind of funk out of which they seemingly can't completely get.) They've been on a roll all season, even with Ovie injured earlier this year and, more incredibly, the whole goaltending situation. Regardless of what minder is in net, they've got enough firepower to overcome any deficiency that particular goalie (or injury) has caused them. Very much looking like the "Beast from the East" right now, in comparison to the rest of the teams.

BTW, tell Eric Fehr to have a monster game. (I've got him in a few leagues and in one, I have to overcome an opponent with Ovechkin and Semin playing tomorrow. So I need Eric (and his linemates) to step up and stay on the ice more tomorrow. You know, have a bigger game than Ovie and Alex. Haha! One can dream, no?)

Enjoy that game. It's really great taking a kid to their first game. I've enjoyed that a few times. Good luck all the way around!

You were 100% correct... it was a great feeling being able to finally take my son to a Cap's game. He has watched so many games on our big screen and is eager to learn more about the game. The coolest thing was when about 8 minutes in, with the game scoreless, he looked at me and asked when was the next time he could come with me to a game. Couldn't have been a better game for his first one.... his two favorite Caps scored goals. Brooks Laich scored in the second and Ovechkin scored the game winner with just over 6 minutes to go. Out of all sports he enjoys hockey the most. He really wants to try and play hockey but the closest rink with hockey is well over an hour away.

^That's great Dave!

I would be so psyched if that was his favorite sport. I'd try to foster it as much as possible. That sucks the nearest rink is so far away. (Then again, as much as it costs, in time and money, maybe you're better off. lol)

Congrats on not only a great day, but a win for the Caps as well, though you have to know that next Sunday, I'll be rooting against you. :joust:

(Though Fehr didn't come through for me. lol Then again, neither did "Cheese Grater" Brodeur, who as of late has been horrible. So, no biggie. haha)

After the Caps and Pens game boy was that Super Bowl boring.

The NHL must have been elated to have had this hockey game televised nationally. Couldn't have asked for a more entertaining game. Crosby with 2 goals and Ovie with a hat trick... an overtime game... a come from behind victory... and plenty of action... Makes me wonder why more sports fans don't watch the NHL.

That is 14 in a row for the Caps. The NHL record is 17... Not sure if they will reach that mark. The Ottawa Senators are playing pretty good hockey and they meet this Thursday.

After the Caps and Pens game boy was that Super Bowl boring.

The NHL must have been elated to have had this hockey game televised nationally. Couldn't have asked for a more entertaining game. Crosby with 2 goals and Ovie with a hat trick... an overtime game... a come from behind victory... and plenty of action... Makes me wonder why more sports fans don't watch the NHL.

That is 14 in a row for the Caps. The NHL record is 17... Not sure if they will reach that mark. The Ottawa Senators are playing pretty good hockey and they meet this Thursday.

Well, it proved to be a lot more entertaining if you were a Caps fan. (Sadly, even when it was 4-2, it still felt like a tenuous lead at best.) If the Penguins can't figure out how to get the PP on track and how to stop taking stupid penalties, they're not going to be long for the playoffs. Not that the major stars haven't been back, but they can't get their original (winning streak or last year's playoff participants) lineup healthy for long enough to get any real momentum. They'd better figure out how to do that after the Olympic break or they're not going to be long for the playoffs.

Caps/Sens should be a great game (as long as the Sens that showed up to that stinker versus TO last weekend don't show up).

And speaking of them, how about TO with Giggy in net?

Any updates on the Penguins' season?

Hey James! No real updates. They lost that nailbiter last Sunday to the Caps that we were referring to above (after getting beaten by an almost minor league Montreal team the day before). They play 3 more games before the break for the Winter Olympics. The teams they play, as of now, aren't superior, so if the Penguins are on their game, they have a distinct chance to win all three.

Just motoring along, staying right in the middle of the pack. Nothing close to spectacular play yet. Hopefully after the Olympics, they get tough and start gearing up for a strong playoff run/Stanley Cup defense.

Penguins stumble into the Olympic break on a 2 game losing streak. New Jersey's middling record over the past month gave the Penguins a chance to climb back into the lead for the Atlantic division and they've done nothing but prove just as average.

Over the break, I hope: a] no Penguins (well, no one at all, but specifically no Penguins) get injured, b] some Pens make it far in the tournament (win medals, particularly gold) to come back with some confidence, c] Disco Dan Bylsma (and Tony and Mike) get things figured out and start whipping the Pens into playoff shape as soon as they hit the ice after the break.

Get it together Pens! pit.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Pittsburgh is 4-0 post-Olympic break. But, with a few uneven efforts. So far, the additions of Jordan Leopold and Alexei Ponikarovsky seem to be paying off. But, with what Washington added, they're going to need Billy G. back and ready to go. (Also, leaving the question of "Who's the odd man out? Fedetenko? Rupp? Talbot? Adams?" I honestly could see Talbo, last year's playoff hero, losing out in this one. Though, for a few more games, especially if Cooke gets a few games off after his hit on Savard today, Talbot has a chance to prove something and stay in the mix.)

At least they've taken over first place in the Atlantic. Hopefully they can keep that and put off playing Washington as long as possible in the playoffs. (Maybe someone else can derail, or at least slow, the Washington juggernaut by the Conference Finals, like the Canes did to Jersey AND Boston last year. Assuming the Pens take care of business and make it there.)

Let's go Pens! pit.gif

I was worried about the Caps coming back after the Olympic break. Seems as though Ovie might be in a bit of a drought after Russia's disappointing showing. Still the Caps haven't lost since the break. If they can maintain the current level of play without Ovechkin's scoring I would feel confident going into the playoffs. One would have to assume that within the next week or two Ovechkin should get hot again. As far as the new additions for the Caps... looks good so far with all of them contributing. I still thing goaltending will decide who wins in the end.

Still... The playoffs are a whole new ball game. You never know what can happen once they start. Seem like every year I am disappointed in the end. Just today I was cleaning up around here and stumbled upon my Stanley Cup program from Washington's only ever appearance. I remember how sad I was sitting in the stands as the Red Wings polished off the Caps in 4 games. I hate that feeling. :violin:

Penguins snap a 2-game losing skid. The Canes out-efforted the Pens in what could/should have been a win. Today, they were assisted by a TON of PPs in the 3rd period that kept Tampa from getting any momentum at all. Now the hope is that whatever kept Malkin out of the 3rd period isn't serious (long-term) so they can head into the playoffs at full-strength.

Nice comeback by the Caps today, especially without Ovechkin. (Man, in a playoff run, albeit a clinched one, how do you take that penalty and give yourself a one game suspension? The NHL will follow through, right?) Although, I think it says as much about the Hawks as it does anything else. 2 straight days of 3rd period collapses. They are steadily looking worse and worse for their playoff run. Their payroll didn't make deadline deals possible (or smart for other teams). If they don't use the last 3+ weeks to shore things up, the West is wide open (with Detroit playing strong and San Jose looking tough all season).

Pens snapped their losing streak with a win over Tampa Bay this past Sunday and now they're absolutely stinking up the joint against New Jersey. (Damn do the Devils seem to have their number this season. Hope we can avoid them, in a GOOD way, in the playoffs. Need someone to do us the favor Carolina did last season. Though, if they Penguins don't shore up things, they're not going to have to worry about anything besides tee times after the first four games in round one.)

There's still a period+ left, but in this situation, New Jersey knows how to clamp down. It'd be nice to blame this game on Geno being out of the line up again, but sadly, there are way too many deficiencies to blame it on one guy missing. :doh:

Really proud of how the Canes have kept fighting this season. It would have been very easy to pack it in after the awful start but they have rebounded well. Playing great hockey right now and hopefully that will continue.

Fucking Penguins! Lose the game to Jersey, rebound with a shutout against a rapidly sinking ship in Boston, and then turn around and face the "devil may care" attitude-Carolina Hurricanes and can't even muster a good effort to face the intensity the Canes brought into the 'Burgh.

The Pens are NOT inspiring any confidence in them as the post-season approaches. And it's absolutely mind-boggling how last year's playoff hero Max Talbot is now a healthy scratch. I hope someone else (Craig "Can't Score Goals" Adams anyone?) is ready to step up with the important MO swing or goal.

God pity anyone that has to face the Canes if they end up making the playoffs. They refuse to go quietly into the night. carolina_hurricanes.png

Fucking Penguins! Lose the game to Jersey, rebound with a shutout against a rapidly sinking ship in Boston, and then turn around and face the "devil may care" attitude-Carolina Hurricanes and can't even muster a good effort to face the intensity the Canes brought into the 'Burgh.

The Pens are NOT inspiring any confidence in them as the post-season approaches. And it's absolutely mind-boggling how last year's playoff hero Max Talbot is now a healthy scratch. I hope someone else (Craig "Can't Score Goals" Adams anyone?) is ready to step up with the important MO swing or goal.

God pity anyone that has to face the Canes if they end up making the playoffs. They refuse to go quietly into the night. carolina_hurricanes.png

Thanks for the props Jay. I was able to watch the game today and we truly pissed that one out. It was a luck shot with no time left but it seems to be going that way for us right now. I'd be shocked if we made the playoffs but I guess crazier things have happened.

Thanks for the props Jay. I was able to watch the game today and we truly pissed that one out. It was a luck shot with no time left but it seems to be going that way for us right now. I'd be shocked if we made the playoffs but I guess crazier things have happened.

Hey, that was one hell of an effort! No thanks needed, my friend. I mean, the Pens tied it to go to OT, but between the stupid penalties the Pens took because the Canes outworked them and a little luck of the draw (fade? haha) made the Penguins absolutely lose control of the ability to do more than one thing at once. (Skate, stick check, shot block? Pick one, that's all you get.)

Seems the only reason you wouldn't, at this point, is just lack of games left. (And, of course, injury bugaboos that you haven't been able to shake all year long.) But, good luck with it anyway. (Hopefully you can take down some of the Pens' possible playoff foes too.)

Canes steal one from the Caps in a shootout. The playoffs, however, are fading in the sunset. I still love our effort. BTW Jay, seeing alot of Penns games down here on various channels.

• 2 weeks later...

Canes steal one from the Caps in a shootout. The playoffs, however, are fading in the sunset. I still love our effort. BTW Jay, seeing alot of Penns games down here on various channels.

That was really nice Chris. (Unfortunately, just a dent in the Caps' armor. They're monsters this year. The only hope anyone has is defensive deficiencies and a incredible defensive effort of their own the their goalie stealing a game or two from the Caps. Though, if you guys had stayed healthy all year long, you guys would be gearing up for another run in the EC playoffs.)

I couldn't be much more depressed about the Pens (unless they weren't actually making the playoffs, so I guess I should hush). I was lucky enough to grab a seat 10 rows from the ice Wednesday night against Tampa and was rewarded with one of the more lackluster efforts in recent memory. The only thing the Lightning should shut out against the Pens are the lights when they leave the locker room after the game. And now, despite Atlanta trying to win out and squeak into the playoffs, every time the Pens score, they let the Thrash score almost right after to go back up by a goal. Half a period left and a feeling of dread is creeping in yet again. This is looking, right now, like a short spring for the Penguins.