Hockey Regular Season

Clutch

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Minnesota has lost a franchise record 5 straight non-overtime games. They scored a total of 5 goals in those five games. Tough times indeed. On the bright side, Gabi is supposedly going to play tonight so maybe Mr. Trade-Bait can score a couple goals before he hurts himself again.

And yeah, those Sharks have been almost unstoppable! But they better save some...it's a long season.

Minnesota has lost a franchise record 5 straight non-overtime games. They scored a total of 5 goals in those five games. Tough times indeed. On the bright side, Gabi is supposedly going to play tonight so maybe Mr. Trade-Bait can score a couple goals before he hurts himself again.

And yeah, those Sharks have been almost unstoppable! But they better save some...it's a long season.

I agree but if you're a Sharks fan, life is good right now. The boss is giving you shit at work? "Sharks win again!". Wife is cheating on you? "Sharks win again!". Things could be worse I suppose. :tumbsup:

I guess I can consider myself lucky. The Caps are playing pretty good hockey in spite of some serious games missed by players who they depend on. Semin is finally back in the line up.. along with Green. Just last week the Capitals had to dress one of their website contributors. He dressed to back up Johnson in goal. I guess he at one point played division III hockey. Just about all of the players called up from Hershey have been playing very well. Now that the Caps seem to be getting healthy it will be interesting to see who gets sent back down to Hershey.

I just hope that the chemistry isn't broken when they work the regulars back into the line-up. I guess things are pretty good as they lead the by 10 points.

Just last week the Capitals had to dress one of their website contributors. He dressed to back up Johnson in goal. I guess he at one point played division III hockey.

I read about that! Holy crap, and I thought things were getting tight in Minnesota! :yikes:

Just last week the Capitals had to dress one of their website contributors. He dressed to back up Johnson in goal. I guess he at one point played division III hockey.

I read about that! Holy crap, and I thought things were getting tight in Minnesota! :yikes:

The game after dressing this guy, the Caps brought in goalie Simeon Varlamov who was their first draft pick in 2006. Varlamov looked great, very moble, in goal. He posted 32 saves in a 2-1 Capitals victory over Montreal.

Varlamov became the youngest Russian-born goalie to start in the NHL and the first goalie to win his NHL debut at MTL in more than 30 years (since Hardy Astrom of the NYR, 2/25/78).

I hope a sign of things to come... With all the young talent the Caps have they have a chance to be a very good team for years to come.

Varlamov became the youngest Russian-born goalie to start in the NHL and the first goalie to win his NHL debut at MTL in more than 30 years (since Hardy Astrom of the NYR, 2/25/78).

Ha! Hardy (Har Har) Astrom. Man, I haven't heard Grapes rail on him in years. The Swedish Sieve. To quote Don Cherry "Hardy was a nice guy; he just had a weakness with pucks."

Sorry. Had to indulge in some Don Cherry humor. (Reading the name Hardy Astrom brought back some memories.)

Anyway, I haven't watched much as of late. Did see Columbus knock off the Sharks. Watching the Pens/Thrashers game tonight. Hoping Fleury looks good/feels comfortable back in net.

Ha! Hardy (Har Har) Astrom. Man, I haven't heard Grapes rail on him in years. The Swedish Sieve. To quote Don Cherry "Hardy was a nice guy; he just had a weakness with pucks."

Sorry. Had to indulge in some Don Cherry humor. (Reading the name Hardy Astrom brought back some memories.)

Anyway, I haven't watched much as of late. Did see Columbus knock off the Sharks. Watching the Pens/Thrashers game tonight. Hoping Fleury looks good/feels comfortable back in net.

Now there's a guy that grew up with a CBC feed on his cable system :tumbsup: !

Watched my Bruins beat the Leafs last night and it was a wide open high scoring affair that you don't see very often these days.....don't know if the Bruins are going to fall to earth soon but I'm going to enjoy the ride while it lasts.... :tumbsup:

Their goalie tandem has been red hot of late!

Holy f$#*ing sh@t! What on earth was that abomination that eminated from the southwestern region of Pennsylvania last night?

I often discuss the Pens with a guy from work (as we'd done for 4 years at our last building, only we don't have as much time/opportunity now) and it's often score updates, thumbs up or down, and quick comments. I'm glad we don't have to see each other about this game.

I pray they they get this ship righted quickly. It'll take Fleury a bit longer to get back in the swing of things, but hopefully he's there before too long. The Pens are falling in the standings and the entire Atlantic Division seems to be surging (well, save the Isles, but hey, it's the Isles. lol) and they're only 3 points from falling out of the playoffs. (I know, it's early.)

Hopefully with Whitney back (although who knows how long before he's up to par) and Fleury eventually coming around, they'll rebound and make another charge up the standings in the last 2 months or so. (And hopefully, they haven't fallen too far down them to make that charge too futile.)

Got to watch a bit of the San Jose-NY game and also Vancouver-Chicago. The West looks really good this year. Vancouver (particularly when Luongo gets back), Chicago, Calgary, Anaheim, and of course, Detroit and San Jose. Should be an interesting 2nd half (plus) and playoffs. I've always loved Western Conference playoff hockey more than Eastern. (I think the early 90's etched that into my hockey soul.)

That said, Boston and Philly are surging lately. The Rangers have been pretty strong. And Jersey's holding their own, sans Brodeur. Montreal could spring at any time (and are never far out of it) and Washington, though fairly quietly, has built up a nice little streak and are almost assured to come out of the Southeast if they don't suffer any serious injuries. (As many as they'd dealt with earlier, they still have an 8 pt. lead in their conference.)

• 1 month later...

OK, it's been a frickin' month since the last post in this thread (my post) and the Penguins STILL are shitting the bed left and right.

They're out of the playoffs as of now and if they don't right things soon, it's gonna be just about the biggest disappointment since they lost in the 93 Eastern Conference semis to the Islanders. (Kind of surprised about them even making the Conference Finals in 2001.)

OK, it's been a frickin' month since the last post in this thread (my post) and the Penguins STILL are shitting the bed left and right.

They're out of the playoffs as of now and if they don't right things soon, it's gonna be just about the biggest disappointment since they lost in the 93 Eastern Conference semis to the Islanders. (Kind of surprised about them even making the Conference Finals in 2001.)

Yeah, the Penguins are definitely the biggest surprise this season....really thought they were moving upward not downward in the league.....not sure what their problem is but something needs to be done to fix things....I always thought they were just missing a decent goalie...

I wouldn't know how my Wild are doing...apparently some new law went into effect banning the airing of all Minnesota Wild games here in Sioux Falls. WTF??? They played the other night, and instead of showing that game they instead televised a Houston Aeros game. Seriously, WTF???

The Canes, as a whole, have been completely flipped upside down, but fuck me sideways if I don't still watch them every chance I get. I've noticed that everyone of us in this thread have the same loyalty to their team. I respect that completely. Hopefully, things will turn around for all of us. If not, fuck it. We'll drink away the pain. :drink:

• 3 weeks later...

How's everyone holding up? My Canes are still giving chase but I don't see them catching Washington. Best option is to hope for a wildcard but even that may not be realistic. Just keep thinking positive.

Pens are up a creek without a paddle. As of right now, out of the playoffs (10th) and the 8th place Canes have a game at hand and the 9th place Panthers have 3 (THREE!) games at hand.

I know Gonch is coming back relatively soon, but that's not gonna be enough, even if he can come back and instantly play like he did last year. Fleury is giving up huge rebounds. They've got a few guys playing extra hard, it seems, but not everyone. Don't know if there's enough time for them to get it together and sneak in. I guess there's still 2 months left, but it's condition critical at the point.

HA! My team is dead last and a virtual lock for John Tavares but then again they'll find some way to f*ck it up!!

My Wild are playing like the typical Wild...great defense, nonexistent offense. Gabby's out the door and we aren't going to get shit for him. Maybe we will sneak in the playoffs but even so it'll be a one and done again. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, so the Canes are trying to make a surge for the playoffs. I hear an interview on the radio talking about how EVERY game is a playoff game until the finish. How do they cap that off? Fucking tanking and losing 4-2 last night. I've got box seats for next Friday and they are sabotaging me.

Ok, so the Canes are trying to make a surge for the playoffs. I hear an interview on the radio talking about how EVERY game is a playoff game until the finish. How do they cap that off? Fucking tanking and losing 4-2 last night. I've got box seats for next Friday and they are sabotaging me.

I hear you bro!

During the doldrums of January snow, my friend and I decided to get crazy, spend some money, and we got seats on the glass for the Penguins game on March 14 against Ottawa. Ottawa was bad, we were looking forward to Fleury regaining form and Whit and Gonch coming back, and the Pens snapping out of it. Now they're out of the playoffs, Ottawa is trying to improve, and Crosby's out (hopefully he'll be back in 2+ weeks).

So, as of now, the only thing to look forward to is being on the glass (making funny signs) and the extreme eating before and after the game. (Crossing my fingers the Pens make a surge before then.)

Only one thing i love so strong as hair/glam metal music. This is ice hockey.

My favorite team is...mmm... but if to say that Alex Оvechkin was born in the same city as me :headbanger:

Sadly but i haven't enough time to see all Caps games but tonight they have beaten Bruins in overtime.

Jay, saw the Pens making some moves to maybe make a late run. Canes are trying the same. Brought back Cole for some extra scoring. I've got tickets for Friday night. Box seats, center ice. If they lose I'm gonna blow a gasket. :tumbsup: