Hockey Regular Season

Clutch

Canes steal one from the Caps in a shootout. The playoffs, however, are fading in the sunset. I still love our effort. BTW Jay, seeing alot of Penns games down here on various channels.

That was really nice Chris. (Unfortunately, just a dent in the Caps' armor. They're monsters this year. The only hope anyone has is defensive deficiencies and a incredible defensive effort of their own the their goalie stealing a game or two from the Caps. Though, if you guys had stayed healthy all year long, you guys would be gearing up for another run in the EC playoffs.)

I couldn't be much more depressed about the Pens (unless they weren't actually making the playoffs, so I guess I should hush). I was lucky enough to grab a seat 10 rows from the ice Wednesday night against Tampa and was rewarded with one of the more lackluster efforts in recent memory. The only thing the Lightning should shut out against the Pens are the lights when they leave the locker room after the game. And now, despite Atlanta trying to win out and squeak into the playoffs, every time the Pens score, they let the Thrash score almost right after to go back up by a goal. Half a period left and a feeling of dread is creeping in yet again. This is looking, right now, like a short spring for the Penguins.

Keep the faith Jay. You're still champs until someone else wins the cup. All teams start with a clean slate come playoff time and the Pens are vets at this point. Never count out the champs.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep the faith Jay. You're still champs until someone else wins the cup. All teams start with a clean slate come playoff time and the Pens are vets at this point. Never count out the champs.

Thanks Chris. I need to remember that. A lot of Pens fans (that I commiserate with online, as finding anyone I know that actually knows what hockey is still proves difficult) seem to have that "doom and gloom" feeling. The Pens seem to have engendered that in us a lot lately. But, I guess they managed to pull out the extra point today. That's something. And even though Jersey took the top spot in the Atlantic (2 seed), if the Pens can get on a roll again, even if they get the 4 seed, they can use a first round win to get the "mo" going into what looks like could be an incredible playoff rematch between the Caps and Pens (if the Pens do indeed take the 4 seed).

I guess its all about perspective. (BTW, I really was hoping for more of 3-2 game or something like that. The Marty shutout helped me in one league, hurt me in another. GAH!) Now you guys need to tank it the last few games so you can secure the #2 pick in the entry draft. (I don't know that it really matters that much, particularly in hockey, but if you can find a kid who is closer to game ready, that could help a healthy Canes team in 10-11. It took them a few years, too long... lol, but that's how the Pens did it.)

So, the season winds down today. Regardless of the outcome tonight (and being in 2nd in the Atlantic, 4th in the East), the Pens limp into the playoffs, hoping to recover any swagger they may have left over from last season's Cup victory and the beginning of the current season.

The Pens haven't played consistently good hockey for some time now and stringing together 4 wins against ANY opponent doesn't look promising. (Shutout losses to Tampa and Atlanta in the last 2 weeks of the season? WTF?) I certainly hope Disco Dan has some BS magic trick up his sleeve to get the Pens ready for the playoffs. (Or Mario's got the whopper of all inspirational speeches ready for the boys.)

Looking forward to being disappointed by the NHL Network and/or Versus and driving 35 minutes to Billy's Black and Gold to watch playoff games again this year. Really? FUCK YOU blackout rules! :2up:

So, the season winds down today. Regardless of the outcome tonight (and being in 2nd in the Atlantic, 4th in the East), the Pens limp into the playoffs, hoping to recover any swagger they may have left over from last season's Cup victory and the beginning of the current season.

The Pens haven't played consistently good hockey for some time now and stringing together 4 wins against ANY opponent doesn't look promising. (Shutout losses to Tampa and Atlanta in the last 2 weeks of the season? WTF?) I certainly hope Disco Dan has some BS magic trick up his sleeve to get the Pens ready for the playoffs. (Or Mario's got the whopper of all inspirational speeches ready for the boys.)

Looking forward to being disappointed by the NHL Network and/or Versus and driving 35 minutes to Billy's Black and Gold to watch playoff games again this year. Really? FUCK YOU blackout rules! :2up:

This season seemed like it flew by. I only managed to get to 6 Caps games this year. It really was great taking my son to his first game though. I'm gonna try and hit a playoff game or 2... Tickets are gonna be pretty hard to come buy, Hell, regular season tickets were hard to come by (58 straight home sellouts going back to last year). I was actually hoping the Caps would play the Flyers as a friend of mine has Philly season tickets so I would have been able to sneak up there for a game or two. I didn't really wanna see Montreal in the first round. Would have rather seen the Rangers or Flyers.

As far as the East goes I think I would least wanna face Ottawa... Not sure why, just have a feeling they could make some noise. As far as the West goes... even with the somewhat disappointing regular season Detroit had they still may be the team to beat.

Looking forward to post season hockey. I hope I'm still saying that in about 3 weeks.

PS - All the Caps games (home and away) will be televised where I am so I can't complain. If they get knocked out early I may be disappointed with the game that are televised.

This season seemed like it flew by. I only managed to get to 6 Caps games this year. It really was great taking my son to his first game though. I'm gonna try and hit a playoff game or 2... Tickets are gonna be pretty hard to come buy, Hell, regular season tickets were hard to come by (58 straight home sellouts going back to last year). I was actually hoping the Caps would play the Flyers as a friend of mine has Philly season tickets so I would have been able to sneak up there for a game or two. I didn't really wanna see Montreal in the first round. Would have rather seen the Rangers or Flyers.

As far as the East goes I think I would least wanna face Ottawa... Not sure why, just have a feeling they could make some noise. As far as the West goes... even with the somewhat disappointing regular season Detroit had they still may be the team to beat.

Looking forward to post season hockey. I hope I'm still saying that in about 3 weeks.

PS - All the Caps games (home and away) will be televised where I am so I can't complain. If they get knocked out early I may be disappointed with the game that are televised.

My Minnesota Wild will be at home on the couch for the second straight season. :( At least I made the 5hr trip to see them play twice this year and they won both of them. Money well spent. No idea who I'll be cheering for this postseason, maybe the underdog Kings.

Prediction time.....

Washington over Montreal in 5

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6

Buffalo over Boston in 6 (this one hurts but my Bruins don't have the scoring to advance)

New Jersey over Philadelphia in 6

San Jose over Colorado in 6

Phoenix over Detroit in 6

Vancouver over L.A. in 6

Chicago over Nashville in 6

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 5

Buffalo over Boston in 5

San Jose over Colorado in 6

Detroit over Phoenix in 7

Vancouver over L.A. in 7

Chicago over Nashville in 4

East

Washington over Montreal in 5 (no contest!, although the Habs are my team, out of love I'm giving them 1 game)

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 5 (Pittsburgh, like Detroit, was just waiting for the playoffs to start killing other teams)

Buffalo over Boston in 7 (1-0 scores for all 7 games....by far the most boring series of the playoffs, yawn!!!)

New Jersey over Philadelphia in 5 (Brodeur > any Philly goaltending)

West

San Jose over Colorado in 5 (The Sharks eventually should win at some point...right?)

Detroit over Phoenix in 7 (A round too early for this one, both teams should make it to the second round, but Detroit's experience will reign)

Vancouver over L.A. in 7 (Fantastic series in the making, too bad every game will be at 10 pm and I won't get to see any.)

Chicago over Nashville in 7 (Another great series in the making, Chicago has the firepower but the Hawks' weak goaltending will give the Preds a chance)

Washington over Montreal in 6 games

Ottawa over Pittsburgh in 7 games

Buffalo over Boston in 6 games

New Jersey over Philadelphia in 6 games

San Jose over Colorado in 5 games

Detroit over Phoenix in 7 games

L.A. over Vancouver in 6 games

Chicago over Nashville in 6 games

* Hope I didn't just jinx The Caps. :popcorn:

Washington over Montreal in 4

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 5

Buffalo over Boston in 6

New Jersey over Philadelphia in 5

San Jose over Colorado in 5

Phoenix over Detroit in 6

Vancouver over L.A. in 6

Chicago over Nashville in 5

First White Out here in Phoenix since 2002! Should be a lot of fun. The whole town is stoked. The playoffs for me actually started on Sunday. Had to go find a bar to watch my Flyers just squeak in (should be a short run for them). Funny that I picked a place where the bartender was from Philly. He was totally screaming at the TV. lol

www.wishingwellonline.com

www.facebook.com/Roger.Pamachena

First White Out here in Phoenix since 2002! Should be a lot of fun. The whole town is stoked. The playoffs for me actually started on Sunday. Had to go find a bar to watch my Flyers just squeak in (should be a short run for them). Funny that I picked a place where the bartender was from Philly. He was totally screaming at the TV. lol

www.wishingwellonline.com

www.facebook.com/Roger.Pamachena

I miss the White Outs they used to have in Winnipeg before they became the Coyotes. Lots of fun and neat to see the arena in a white out. That arena in Glendale is very nice!

Pittsburgh over Ottawa in 6

Buffalo over Boston in 6

San Jose over Colorado in 5

Phoenix over Detroit in 7

Vancouver over L.A. in 6

Chicago over Nashville in 5

I hope the Penguins are about to get their game together. The need to channel the Pittsburgh Penguins of one year ago. Washington is much stronger. Jersey appears to be so as well. I'd REALLY love to see Phoenix come out of the West, just as a feel good story. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't be disappointed if it was Vancouver either; Canada deserves a team in the finals again, let alone its first cup in almost 2 decades. Then again I wouldn't mind if it was Chicago (original 6) or L.A. or Nashville (more feel good) either. Wouldn't be horribly disappointed if San Jose won, but wouldn't care if they take their typical swan dive either. Just don't want the Wings anywhere near it either. This Pittsburgh/Detroit "war" has gotten really nasty; I'm not a big fan of too many Red Wings supporters (at least the asshole ones, of which there seem to be plenty).

Now let's see how bad Versus is going to screw up the playoffs this year. I'm not making the trek to Billy's Black and Gold tonight. Hopefully they'll at least air the first game. But, I'll be in/near Pittsburgh Friday. After that, who knows?

:unsure:

Got no idea what you fellas are on about, but hope the Penguins win.

Not a good time for my teams at the moment though, so I hope I don't bring them bad luck:

Football - Crystal Palace (rubbish)

Cricket - Surrey (rubbish)

Rugby Union - Saracens (started the season well, but now rubbish)

Gridiron - Chiefs (rubbish)

Ice Hockey - Penguins (erm...)

Interesting first night of the playoffs, only one of the teams I picked won and most people consider Phoenix to be an underdog....one of the things I love about hockey is you never know when a team is going to get hot and win a series they shouldn't win...

So happy the Pens got on track. Only problem is that it was yet another game that was close and one errant shot or blocked view and it could have been tied.

Hopefully, if the Pens are going to stay in this type of game, they'll start to exhibit a way to always pull out a win or eventually ramp up the offense and always be in it.

It feels much better to be 1-1 than it did being down 0-1. Now it's time to take the momentum away completely.

Let's go Pens! pit.gif

So happy the Pens got on track. Only problem is that it was yet another game that was close and one errant shot or blocked view and it could have been tied.

Hopefully, if the Pens are going to stay in this type of game, they'll start to exhibit a way to always pull out a win or eventually ramp up the offense and always be in it.

It feels much better to be 1-1 than it did being down 0-1. Now it's time to take the momentum away completely.

Let's go Pens! pit.gif

Ottawa is playing a lot better than I thought they could so the Pens have their hands full....probably go 7....

Sounds like this could be exciting. When are the next games? Come on Penguins!

This has inspired me to buy 'Slap Shot' on DVD - classic sports movie, hilarious too.

Sounds like this could be exciting. When are the next games? Come on Penguins!

This has inspired me to buy 'Slap Shot' on DVD - classic sports movie, hilarious too.

Oh, what a wonderful movie! Every time you're at an arena, you hear, see, feel some kind of reference.

The Penguins schedule (and everyone else's, for the first round):

2010 EASTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

SERIES D #4 vs. #5 Network

Wednesday, April 14 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Friday, April 16 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Sunday, April 18 at Ottawa, 6:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Tuesday, April 20 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Thursday, April 22 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Saturday, April 24 at Ottawa, 7:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Tuesday, April 27 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC

SERIES A

#1 vs. #8 Network

Thursday, April 15 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

Wednesday, April 21 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Washington, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Monday, April 26 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Wednesday, April 28 at Washington, TBD TSN

SERIES B

#2 vs. #7 Network

Wednesday, April 14 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

Friday, April 16 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

Sunday, April 18 at Philadelphia, 6:00 p.m. TSN

Tuesday, April 20 at Philadelphia, 7:30 p.m. TSN2

*Thursday, April 22 at New Jersey, 7:00 p.m. TSN

*Sunday, April 25 at Philadelphia, TBD TSN

*Tuesday, April 27 at New Jersey, 7:30 p.m. TSN

SERIES C

#3 vs. #6 Network

Thursday, April 15 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

Saturday, April 17 at Buffalo, 1:00 p.m. NBC, CBC

Monday, April 19 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC

Wednesday, April 21 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. VERSUS, CBC

*Friday, April 23 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

*Monday, April 26 at Boston, 7:00 p.m. CBC

*Wednesday, April 28 at Buffalo, 7:00 p.m. CBC

2010 WESTERN CONFERENCE QUARTERFINALS

SERIES E

#1 vs. #8 Network

Wednesday, April 14 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Friday, April 16 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Sunday, April 18 at Colorado, 9:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

Tuesday, April 20 at Colorado, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

*Thursday, April 22 at San Jose, 10:30 p.m. CBC, VERSUS (JIP)

*Saturday, April 24 at Colorado, TBD CBC

*Monday, April 26 at San Jose, TBD CBC

SERIES F

#2 vs. #7 Network

Friday, April 16 at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. TSN2, VERSUS (JIP)

Sunday, April 18 at Chicago, 8:30 p.m. TSN, VERSUS (JIP)

Tuesday, April 20 at Nashville, 9:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS (JIP)

Thursday, April 22 at Nashville, 8:30 p.m. TSN2, VERSUS (JIP)

*Saturday, April 24 at Chicago, 3:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

*Monday, April 26 at Nashville, TBD TSN

*Wednesday, April 28 at Chicago, TBD TSN

SERIES G

#3 vs. #6 Network

Thursday, April 15 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Saturday, April 17 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Monday, April 19 at Los Angeles, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

Wednesday, April 21 at Los Angeles, 10:00 p.m. CBC, VERSUS

*Friday, April 23 at Vancouver, 10:00 p.m. CBC

*Sunday, April 25 at Los Angeles, TBD CBC, VERSUS

*Tuesday, April 27 at Vancouver, TBD CBC

SERIES H

#4 vs. #5 Network

Wednesday, April 14 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Friday, April 16 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

Sunday, April 18 at Detroit, 3:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

Tuesday, April 20 at Detroit, 6:30 p.m. TSN

*Friday, April 23 at Phoenix, 10:00 p.m. TSN, VERSUS

*Sunday, April 25 at Detroit, 2:00 p.m. NBC, TSN

*Tuesday, April 27 at Phoenix, TBD TSN

* This table, as entered into the post, is all in order(neat and readable). I don't understand the fucktard rules about how each forum is different and why the post doesn't show up as entered (how spacing is different on one forum versus another). I apologize for the jumbled mess that is this post. Hope you can still get the necessary info from it.

I can't believe the Fuckguins lost that triple overtime game last night. Thank goodness for Buffalo and Montreal extending their series or the Pens wouldn't have had any time before jumping into Round 2. They SHOULD put Ottawa away tomorrow, but if Leclaire stands on his head again and the Pens D makes too many bad plays again (or if they revert to giving up too many PPs, let alone 5-on-3s), Ottawa could just tie it up. They played a sound game last night and Leclaire stole them a game... ON THE ROAD!

Crossing my fingers for a Pens series win tomorrow.

WOW! Even though they threw a scare into me again, the Penguins pulled this game out and won the series. (Though, if Pascal Leclaire hadn't stood on his head for the better part of 9 periods, Ottawa would have been done in 5.)

Looking forward to a few days rest (and maybe getting JLeo and TK healthy(ier) for some kind of return) and then round 2. Rooting big time for Phoenix and Nashville, and kinda the Kings too, just as underdogs/NKOTB. (Yeah, I broke out that reference.) Though, as long as Detroit loses, I won't be bothered if the Hawks and Canucks win.

Congratulations on a pretty good series win. Let's go Pens! pit.gif

WOW! Even though they threw a scare into me again, the Penguins pulled this game out and won the series. (Though, if Pascal Leclaire hadn't stood on his head for the better part of 9 periods, Ottawa would have been done in 5.)

Looking forward to a few days rest (and maybe getting JLeo and TK healthy(ier) for some kind of return) and then round 2. Rooting big time for Phoenix and Nashville, and kinda the Kings too, just as underdogs/NKOTB. (Yeah, I broke out that reference.) Though, as long as Detroit loses, I won't be bothered if the Hawks and Canucks win.

Congratulations on a pretty good series win. Let's go Pens! pit.gif

Don't understand half of what you say, but agree with this bit. ;)

We Yanks have fairly profoundly bastardized the Queen's English, haven't we? (Sadly, I consider myself a bit of a proper grammar/spelling nazi too. And I still can't pull off an erudite/understandable comment. lol) :anon:

We Yanks have fairly profoundly bastardized the Queen's English, haven't we? (Sadly, I consider myself a bit of a proper grammar/spelling nazi too. And I still can't pull off an erudite/understandable comment. lol) :anon:

I'm a real spelling snob (would say grammar too, but mine is pretty poor) but it isn't so much that, it's the sports terminology that sometimes leaves me puzzled. I can work a lot of it out, but some of it means nothing to me. Anyway, that's just me being thick, please keep the Penguins updates coming!

I'm a real spelling snob (would say grammar too, but mine is pretty poor) but it isn't so much that, it's the sports terminology that sometimes leaves me puzzled. I can work a lot of it out, but some of it means nothing to me. Anyway, that's just me being thick, please keep the Penguins updates coming!

Lol. No problem. I certainly hope I have updates to give you well into June! :banger:

Second Round schedule (as pasted; not trying to figure out why it won't space as copied):

2010 EASTERN CONFERENCE SEMIFINALS

SERIES I

#4 vs. #8

Network

Friday, April 30 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS

Sunday, May 2 at Pittsburgh, 2:00 p.m. NBC, CBC, RDS

Tuesday, May 4 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS

Thursday, May 6 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS

*Saturday, May 8 at Pittsburgh, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS

*Monday, May 10 at Montreal, 7:00 p.m. CBC, RDS, VERSUS

*Wednesday, May 12 at Pittsburgh, TBD CBC, RDS, VERSUS

SERIES J