F**K the world!

SamboraRocks86

Not all jobs are shitty. My band gets between 800 and 1000 dollars per show (roughly 400 to 500 pounds) we are currently doing two shows a week and I still have to work. Chase your dreams all you can but in the end you still have to pay bills and there are no guarantees in the music business. Ever. Hell I was in a signed, nationally distributed band at one point and I still had to work. I guess all I am saying is you NEED a backup plan in case music doesn't work out for you. As far as girls go....as long as you play there will plenty of those.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>> but my teenage life is nearly over and theres so many things that everyone experiences now that i havent. <<

This would be because you haven't gotten out and done anything. No time like the present to change that ...

which is what im trying to do...by applying to colleges and stuff.

but i learnt not to get your hopes up about anything, until it actually happens. the fact that i had plans didnt make me feel any better..

i have over 100 friends on Myspace, you would ATLEAST think that people would talk to me on there -_-

Not all jobs are shitty. My band gets between 800 and 1000 dollars per show (roughly 400 to 500 pounds) we are currently doing two shows a week and I still have to work. Chase your dreams all you can but in the end you still have to pay bills and there are no guarantees in the music business. Ever. Hell I was in a signed, nationally distributed band at one point and I still had to work. I guess all I am saying is you NEED a backup plan in case music doesn't work out for you. As far as girls go....as long as you play there will plenty of those.

thanks, but music is its own backup, theres so many ways to make a living out of music and luckily for me....i can always teach at my dads school.

i take teaching guitar as a backup to playing guitar.

but i still dont see what my future has to do with no-one talking to me right now

thanks, but music is its own backup, theres so many ways to make a living out of music and luckily for me....i can always teach at my dads school.

but i still dont see what my future has to do with no-one talking to me right now

:doh:

:doh:

:lol: Strangely, exactly what I was thinking!!

>> but my teenage life is nearly over and theres so many things that everyone experiences now that i havent. <<

This would be because you haven't gotten out and done anything. No time like the present to change that ...

Every post you do, I get through about 3 words before I stop reading and have to look at what are bouncing below :lol:

bouncing_balls.gif

step 1... get a job that will keep the $$$'s coming in - whether it be at mcdonalds or as an erotic dancer

step 2... practice your guitar between shifts at mcdonalds (or erotic dancing venue)

step 3... once your music career takes off you can pass on your shifts at mcdonalds and focus purely on your music

there has to be stepping stone... you won't step staight into a career in music ... it's reality.

step 1... get a job that will keep the $$$'s coming in - whether it be at mcdonalds or as an erotic dancer

step 2... practice your guitar between shifts at mcdonalds (or erotic dancing venue)

step 3... once your music career takes off you can pass on your shifts at mcdonalds and focus purely on your music

there has to be stepping stone... you won't step staight into a career in music ... it's reality.

Another way of saying exacctly what we all have done so far - Maybe this time it will sink in!!

But I doubt it!!!

McDonalds ????????????

He'd probably complain there's only a Burger King in "walking" distance.... :whistle:

McDonalds ????????????

He'd probably complain there's only a Burger King in "walking" distance.... :whistle:

And just think, you could get discounted or maybe even free Crunchy McFlurrys.

McDonalds ????????????

And just think, you could get discounted or maybe even free Crunchy McFlurrys.

Who's Crunchy McFlurry? And why are we talking about Scottish dudes in this thread anyway?

Every post you do, I get through about 3 words before I stop reading and have to look at what are bouncing below :lol:

bouncing_balls.gif

Backed 100%

you won't step staight into a career in music ... it's reality.

i will if i demand money while im young instead of playing originals for nothing...

and as ive said before, if my dad can step straight into the music business then i should be able to, cause i have a pro musician for a father, and he didnt have that.....meaning i can always come to him for advice on the freelance part of the music industry..

theres no reason i cant make a decent amount of money out of gigging

Who's Crunchy McFlurry? And why are we talking about Scottish dudes in this thread anyway?

Crunchy McFlurry? I think I went to high school with him.

Crunchy McFlurry? I think I went to high school with him.

e's a real fookin' prick that one. :hammer:

i will if i demand money while im young instead of playing originals for nothing...

and as ive said before, if my dad can step straight into the music business then i should be able to, cause i have a pro musician for a father, and he didnt have that.....meaning i can always come to him for advice on the freelance part of the music industry..

The words 'demand'....and 'no reason' are words that you might want to use a bit more selectively. As the business you are wanting to partake in does not favor on the side of the musician.

Listen to the advice you're given......do with it what you will, but..............and I mean this, do NOT expect any sympathy when it goes awry because of your stance *father to fall back on, etc.* and the 'words' you use to indicate how it will or should play out.

The words 'demand'....and 'no reason' are words that you might want to use a bit more selectively. As the business you are wanting to partake in does not favor on the side of the musician.

Listen to the advice you're given......do with it what you will, but..............and I mean this, do NOT expect any sympathy when it goes awry because of your stance *father to fall back on, etc.* and the 'words' you use to indicate how it will or should play out.

Backed 100%. But I do wish you the best of luck... the business has a way of making examples out of those that think there is no reason why they can't get what they want from it, be it stardom or a decent living.

You obviously have experienced some personnel issues already. That alone will affect your income more than you can imagine... even as you get farther up the food chain, it still happens all the time, possibly even more so. You'll get a great band together, be making money one day, and then the next day your singer quits because another promoter stole him for one of his bands, or his girlfriend wants him to spend more time with her, or his dog died and he's sad, or he turned 30 and can't deal with it... laugh if you want but these are actual examples bro... shitty business... full of shitty people...

And yeah you can give lessons... but I know people that give lessons and it's kinda seasonal, gets real soft in the summer, around holidays, etc. And seriously, you've been playing for how long and you want to start giving lessons? You don't play too badly, for where you're at, but be realistic, there's a lot of people giving lessons out there with way more experience and way more chops.

This isn't to discourage you at all believe me, I wish you all the success in the world but you really don't seem to be seeing things the way they are. From reading your posts it seems like more of your projects and gigs don't come to fruition, and unfortunately that's a little more normal than one would like it to be...

Backed 100%. But I do wish you the best of luck... the business has a way of making examples out of those that think there is no reason why they can't get what they want from it, be it stardom or a decent living.

You obviously have experienced some personnel issues already. That alone will affect your income more than you can imagine... even as you get farther up the food chain, it still happens all the time, possibly even more so. You'll get a great band together, be making money one day, and then the next day your singer quits because another promoter stole him for one of his bands, or his girlfriend wants him to spend more time with her, or his dog died and he's sad, or he turned 30 and can't deal with it... laugh if you want but these are actual examples bro... shitty business... full of shitty people...

And yeah you can give lessons... but I know people that give lessons and it's kinda seasonal, gets real soft in the summer, around holidays, etc. And seriously, you've been playing for how long and you want to start giving lessons? You don't play too badly, for where you're at, but be realistic, there's a lot of people giving lessons out there with way more experience and way more chops.

This isn't to discourage you at all believe me, I wish you all the success in the world but you really don't seem to be seeing things the way they are. From reading your posts it seems like more of your projects and gigs don't come to fruition, and unfortunately that's a little more normal than one would like it to be...

im not talking about teaching now, in a few years when i need an income, and its not falling back on my dad because eventually we're gonna take over the business ourselves.

i knowim always saying "dad this and dad that" but he made a living out of playing live music and has spent the last 16 years teaching, and not gigging or working any other jobs.

and here we are with our big house, pool table, 52" plasma TV, 5 computers....im not bragging, but dads making more money teaching than he ever did gigging. and i got a lucky break, cause the business has a 16 year reputation behind it already and i can start under his name.

as for playing live, if a singer leaves, then why cant i replace him? and why should i only play in one band? whats to stop me playing in 3 or 4? i wanna try and be a house musician, or work the cruise ships (as youve heard me say a million times before, not to sound like a broken record), ill take any gig thats going for decent money. i mean you have to be a mercenary, play music you hate, play new years eve and christmas.....but thats how to make a living out of it, you cant do it just by playing the gigs and music that you would like to, thats the difference between a hobby and a job.

its pretty simple, if i cant play music then i dont want to do anything....so with that, i will always find a way to make money from music, there are alot of openings.

ill make it work, because theres nothing else that i can or want to do, whats the point if i cant do what i want to do in life? music is primary to me, and while it pisses me off that i havent had a teenage life....if i did, i wouldnt be half as good at guitar as i am. so i guess its worth it if i can follow my dreams.....5-10 years lost for a lifetime of doing what i want? seems like a fair trade to me.

and no offence to any of you guys, cause some of you have been really helpful and i appreciate your input....but you guys favour originals over being in a tribute, you think that tribute bands are wannabes....i see it as a way to make a decent amount of money and most importantly, contacts.

im not talking about teaching now, in a few years when i need an income, and its not falling back on my dad because eventually we're gonna take over the business ourselves.

i knowim always saying "dad this and dad that" but he made a living out of playing live music and has spent the last 16 years teaching, and not gigging or working any other jobs.

and here we are with our big house, pool table, 52" plasma TV, 5 computers....im not bragging, but dads making more money teaching than he ever did gigging. and i got a lucky break, cause the business has a 16 year reputation behind it already and i can start under his name.

as for playing live, if a singer leaves, then why cant i replace him? and why should i only play in one band? whats to stop me playing in 3 or 4? i wanna try and be a house musician, or work the cruise ships (as youve heard me say a million times before, not to sound like a broken record), ill take any gig thats going for decent money. i mean you have to be a mercenary, play music you hate, play new years eve and christmas.....but thats how to make a living out of it, you cant do it just by playing the gigs and music that you would like to, thats the difference between a hobby and a job.

its pretty simple, if i cant play music then i dont want to do anything....so with that, i will always find a way to make money from music, there are alot of openings.

ill make it work, because theres nothing else that i can or want to do, whats the point if i cant do what i want to do in life? music is primary to me, and while it pisses me off that i havent had a teenage life....if i did, i wouldnt be half as good at guitar as i am. so i guess its worth it if i can follow my dreams.....5-10 years lost for a lifetime of doing what i want? seems like a fair trade to me.

and no offence to any of you guys, cause some of you have been really helpful and i appreciate your input....but you guys favour originals over being in a tribute, you think that tribute bands are wannabes....i see it as a way to make a decent amount of money and most importantly, contacts.

Well there ya go, sounds like you've got it figured out. :)

Well there ya go, sounds like you've got it figured out. :)

its not too fool hardy to go that way is it? i mean it makes sense to me...

im still tryna get the taste out of my mouth...

im not pissed off from not having a job, im pissed off from not having many friends, no gf, and most of all, no band.

getting a job is only gonna take up the time it takes to get in a band!

itll be just another thing to worry about, im looking for fun, not work, i do work as it is....alot of it, at home.

Complete bullshit!!. Take on what MJ just advised ya and the rest will happen, although with your attitude you may have a problem.

From that last post you come across as arrogant and most of all Lazy - With an attitude like that you won't go far. My advice - take a little advice from the Adults.

why would i want a job when i can earn £50 for an hours "work"?

The Point being You 'COULD'!!! But you aren't are you? You are on here moaning about everything.

Not being blase here, but I gigged 2 gigs last week and earnt over £200, plus I have a reasonably well paid job as well - who's the idiot here?

Who's going to pay you £50 an hour the out of interest.

i earnt £110 from thse two gigs i did last month, an hour set each time, playing music i love....

and i am getting out there, i did an audition last wednesday, the drummers gonna email me today, i also found the whole band to do my tribute thing....im just waiting for the guitarist to get back to me about this bassist

i am setting stuff up, but when i made that post the guy that was gonna play rhythm guitar was in spain, and i didnt have a bassist at the time, but i have a professional singer (did the Route 66 tour) that wants in, and my brother on drums (who was taught by my dad so go figure). now the guitarist is back,and hes one hellof a guitarist so i assume the bassist is good too. im working on getting things ready for next month...things kinda took off last night, after that bitch started winding me up, the guitarist texted me, and it all came together. im getting all the best musicians i know, luckily they want to work with me.....great musicians + great songs = paid gigs and big venues.

im just not getting my hopes up, its in the works but nothings set in stone yet.

My my, how life changes in a day. :bowdown:

All I can say as many times before, you are in a fucking dreamworld, and you need to fall to earth with a mighty mighty bang. When you are busking at the nearest tube station and I pass ya, don't fucking ask me for any change OK.

From now on I am gonna call myself Jez 'Don't ask for advice, 'cos I know jack shit' Parry.

Over and out.

Is that your given christian name? boy that would be a mouthful to holler :whistle:

im not pissed off from not having a job, im pissed off from not having many friends, no gf, and most of all, no band.

itll be just another thing to worry about, im looking for fun, not work, i do work as it is....alot of it, at home.

Complete bullshit!!. Take on what MJ just advised ya and the rest will happen, although with your attitude you may have a problem.

From that last post you come across as arrogant and most of all Lazy - With an attitude like that you won't go far. My advice - take a little advice from the Adults.

The Point being You 'COULD'!!! But you aren't are you? You are on here moaning about everything.

Not being blase here, but I gigged 2 gigs last week and earnt over £200, plus I have a reasonably well paid job as well - who's the idiot here?

i earnt £110 from thse two gigs i did last month, an hour set each time, playing music i love....

and i am getting out there, i did an audition last wednesday, the drummers gonna email me today, i also found the whole band to do my tribute thing....im just waiting for the guitarist to get back to me about this bassist

i am setting stuff up, but when i made that post the guy that was gonna play rhythm guitar was in spain, and i didnt have a bassist at the time, but i have a professional singer (did the Route 66 tour) that wants in, and my brother on drums (who was taught by my dad so go figure). now the guitarist is back,and hes one hellof a guitarist so i assume the bassist is good too. im working on getting things ready for next month...things kinda took off last night, after that bitch started winding me up, the guitarist texted me, and it all came together. im getting all the best musicians i know, luckily they want to work with me.....great musicians + great songs = paid gigs and big venues.

im just not getting my hopes up, its in the works but nothings set in stone yet.

All I can say as many times before, you are in a fucking dreamworld, and you need to fall to earth with a mighty mighty bang. When you are busking at the nearest tube station and I pass ya, don't fucking ask me for any change OK.

From now on I am gonna call myself Jez 'Don't ask for advice, 'cos I know jack shit' Parry.

Over and out.

Is that your given christian name? boy that would be a mouthful to holler :whistle:

well the "Dont ask for advice, cos" was his own idea, but im pretty sure the rest is on his birth certificate :lol:

Over and out.

well the "Dont ask for advice, cos" was his own idea, but im pretty sure the rest is on his birth certificate :lol:

At least I have a Birth Certificate mate!!

Over and out.

At least I have a Birth Certificate mate!!

how is this funny :unsure: