What CDs did you buy this week?

oderin1967

• My Little Pony

Mylène Farmer - Bleu Noir

What is it like? I saw that Moby is one of her composers.

It is strange not having Laurent Boutonatt around in the writing this time, as he has been heavily involved with every album and you can certainly tell, although not necessarily in a bad way. Bottom line - if you are a fan, you should like it as it is Mylène with a slightly different twist in places.

She is one of my guilty pleasures musically and I know absolutely nothing to do with HH in general, so nice to see someone else interested here.

Never heard of her, but, as someone who'll give just about any artist a listen, I'll check her out. Any suggestions of where to start?

She is a French/Canadian artist - Quite mainstream stuff, covering some rock, pop and some lovely ballads aswell - all sung in French. Don't know she'll be you're thing to be honest, but try 'L'Autre' and 'Anomorphosee' which I would say are her best 2. Her live DVD's are absolutely amazing aswell.

As a Canadian, I find it quite saddening that I've never heard of her, but I'm sure it has to do with her singing in French. It's extremely uncommon to hear francophone artists on the radio, at least in the west. I have found one station that plays a lot of indie Canadian artists, and there is a lot of great music coming out of Quebec! For the first time in my 23 years on this rock, I'm starting to find an appreciation for the French language.

Thank-you Jez for the recommendations. I'll let you know my impression, once I have one.

Johnny Lima - Livin' Out Loud

I really dig that one, some really good tracks on it. :guitbannana:

Great CD..."'Til Love Is Gone" is such an awesome track! \m/

It is strange not having Laurent Boutonatt around in the writing this time, as he has been heavily involved with every album and you can certainly tell, although not necessarily in a bad way. Bottom line - if you are a fan, you should like it as it is Mylène with a slightly different twist in places.

She is one of my guilty pleasures musically and I know absolutely nothing to do with HH in general, so nice to see someone else interested here.

Never heard of her, but, as someone who'll give just about any artist a listen, I'll check her out. Any suggestions of where to start?

She is a French/Canadian artist - Quite mainstream stuff, covering some rock, pop and some lovely ballads aswell - all sung in French. Don't know she'll be you're thing to be honest, but try 'L'Autre' and 'Anomorphosee' which I would say are her best 2. Her live DVD's are absolutely amazing aswell.

As a Canadian, I find it quite saddening that I've never heard of her, but I'm sure it has to do with her singing in French. It's extremely uncommon to hear francophone artists on the radio, at least in the west. I have found one station that plays a lot of indie Canadian artists, and there is a lot of great music coming out of Quebec! For the first time in my 23 years on this rock, I'm starting to find an appreciation for the French language.

Thank-you Jez for the recommendations. I'll let you know my impression, once I have one.

She is absolutely massive in France and has been for the last 20+ years. I think she was only born in Canada and moved at an early age, so that is why she probably has never been a houshold name over there. I'm sure there are loads more French artists that don't mean anything to anyone outside of France. Check out Jean-Jacques Goldman if you get a chance. Maybe a bit more rock for your tastes, with some great albums.

Richard Marx - Stories To Tell (Autographed by the man himself)

Vixen - Tangerine

Geoff!

If you read this, any comments on the releases down below. I know about 10 of them, the others are completely unknown to me. I got them cheap and musicwise they're all over the rock spectrum. I'm asking you 'cause you're some kind of an expert on strange releases ;)

National Product - Luna

The Forms - s/t

Marty Casey & Lovehammers - s/t

Midnight Youth - The Brave Don't Run

Chief - Modern Rituals

Hoobastank - For(n)Ever

Push Play - Found

Saliva - Moving Forward In Reverse: Greatest Hits

The Used - Artwork (+DVD)

It's Alive - Human Resources

Stefy - Orange Album

Five O'Clock Heroes - Different Times

Edisun - s/t

TRB - s/t

Black Light Burns - Cover Your Heart (+DVD)

Diamond Nights - Once We Were Diamonds

AM Taxi - We Don't Stand A Chance

Hollywood Undead - Swan Songs

Never The Bride - s/t

Tetanus - Such A Loser

Sister Hazel - Heartland Highway

New Medicine - Race You To Bottom

Absentstar - Sea Trials

Echovalve - Helloagaingoodbye

Adelitas Way - s/t

Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence

American Bang - s/t

Driver Side Impact - The Very Air We Breath

Daughtry - Leave This Town

Last Of The Believers - Paper Ships

Offcutts - Thrift Shop Boutique

Collective Soul - Afterwords

The Letter Black - Hanging On

Other Star People - Diamonds In The Belly

Stereocell - Into Tomorrow

West of Sunset - s/t

Refugee - Burning from the Inside out

I wish someone would reissue Fingerprints.

I second this request ! :drink:

Is it really that good? West of Sunset is amazing, so if Fingerprints was better, than I wanna hear it! However, I'm not about to pay what people are asking for it.

Fingerprints is better than West Of Sunset IMO

• My Little Pony

She is absolutely massive in France and has been for the last 20+ years. I think she was only born in Canada and moved at an early age, so that is why she probably has never been a houshold name over there. I'm sure there are loads more French artists that don't mean anything to anyone outside of France. Check out Jean-Jacques Goldman if you get a chance. Maybe a bit more rock for your tastes, with some great albums.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that I might be so narrow-minded.

I youtubed a bunch of her singles, and I think her later releases suit my preferences best. I'm more into electropop than electronic rock. As I've only just acquainted myself with her now, the departure of Laurent Boutonnat doesn't mean much to me, but, with Mylene continuing in the electropop direction, it makes sense to bring in the likes of Moby and RedOne. I like her new single, "Oui Mais... Non."

I also noticed Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat wrote and produced Alizee's first two albums, and I can definitely see the influence.

I don't know where you're getting the idea that I might be so narrow-minded.

I youtubed a bunch of her singles, and I think her later releases suit my preferences best. I'm more into electropop than electronic rock. As I've only just acquainted myself with her now, the departure of Laurent Boutonnat doesn't mean much to me, but, with Mylene continuing in the electropop direction, it makes sense to bring in the likes of Moby and RedOne. I like her new single, "Oui Mais... Non."

I also noticed Mylene Farmer and Laurent Boutonnat wrote and produced Alizee's first two albums, and I can definitely see the influence.

I didn't think you were 'Narrow Minded', it's just i'd be very surprised if many (or any) on HH would be into this stuff to be honest, seeing as it is very pop, plus it's mostly sung in a foreign language. It's good your checking her stuff out mate.

Yeah they both did the Alizee tuff, which is very similar. If you get a chance, try to see one of Mylene's Live DVD's. As I said, she puts on an amazing show and they are some of my favourite live DVD's.

Ran out to a cd store that I have not been to since late summer and found these:

Pretty Maids - Jump The Gun or Lethal Heroes or whatever you feel like calling it.

Beautiful Creatures - Deuce

L.A. Guns - Hollywood Raw The Original Sessions (including 1985 EP)

Vixen - Tangerine

Geoff!

If you read this, any comments on the releases down below. I know about 10 of them, the others are completely unknown to me. I got them cheap and musicwise they're all over the rock spectrum. I'm asking you 'cause you're some kind of an expert on strange releases ;)

National Product - Luna

The Forms - s/t

Chief - Modern Rituals

Hoobastank - For(n)Ever

Push Play - Found

Stefy - Orange Album

Edisun - s/t

TRB - s/t

Never The Bride - s/t

Tetanus - Such A Loser

Absentstar - Sea Trials

Adelitas Way - s/t

American Bang - s/t

National Product - Luna ; excellent, under-rated CD. One of my favourite modern rock CDs in recent times. Not every song is perfect but stuff like 'Collision' is. Love this CD.

Hoobastank - For(n)Ever ; probably their best CD yet. Still not great but a few pretty good songs on this, especially early on.

The Used - Artwork (+DVD) ; as always, very consistent CD. This one's actually really good. Big thumbs up.

It's Alive - Human Resources ; yeah, another very nice ones. Strong, atmospheric tunes. You'll dig this.

Adelitas Way - s/t ; good, solid modern rock stuff. Another easy winner.

Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence ; absolutely fantastic CD. 'Making sounds' was arguably the best song of 2009. Overall a great CD.

Driver Side Impact - The Very Air We Breath ; I have not heard this, but I own 'Lion' that was released the year after and that one is pretty good. Not overly memorable, but good.

Daughtry - Leave This Town ; great disc, but you need to track down the I-Tunes bonus tracks as most the best songs from these sessions were not put on this physical CD.

And that's about all I know. Please let me know if any of the others are good as I'd love the check them out. :)

Stiffkitty - Stiffkitty

NYMPHO - V.I.P.

Hollywood Hot Rod - Hollywood Hot Rod

Dirty Looks - Superdeluxe

Pleasure Maker - Twisted Desire

Dirty Looks - California Free Ride

Anberlin ~ Dark Is the Way Light Is a Place

Jimmy Eat World ~ Invented

Motion City Soundtrack ~ My Dinosaur Life

Rick Springfield ~ Tao

Vixen - Tangerine

Geoff!

National Product - Luna

The Forms - s/t

Chief - Modern Rituals

Hoobastank - For(n)Ever

Push Play - Found

Stefy - Orange Album

Edisun - s/t

TRB - s/t

Never The Bride - s/t

Tetanus - Such A Loser

Absentstar - Sea Trials

Adelitas Way - s/t

American Bang - s/t

National Product - Luna ; excellent, under-rated CD. One of my favourite modern rock CDs in recent times. Not every song is perfect but stuff like 'Collision' is. Love this CD.

Hoobastank - For(n)Ever ; probably their best CD yet. Still not great but a few pretty good songs on this, especially early on.

The Used - Artwork (+DVD) ; as always, very consistent CD. This one's actually really good. Big thumbs up.

It's Alive - Human Resources ; yeah, another very nice ones. Strong, atmospheric tunes. You'll dig this.

Adelitas Way - s/t ; good, solid modern rock stuff. Another easy winner.

Monty Are I - Break Through The Silence ; absolutely fantastic CD. 'Making sounds' was arguably the best song of 2009. Overall a great CD.

Driver Side Impact - The Very Air We Breath ; I have not heard this, but I own 'Lion' that was released the year after and that one is pretty good. Not overly memorable, but good.

Daughtry - Leave This Town ; great disc, but you need to track down the I-Tunes bonus tracks as most the best songs from these sessions were not put on this physical CD.

And that's about all I know. Please let me know if any of the others are good as I'd love the check them out. :)

Thanks mate! I appreciate the comments. I knew 'bout the Hoobastank, The Used and Daughtry releases but the rest was very informative. :beerbang:

In today:

Million Dollar Reload - Anthems Of A Degeneration

Gary John Barden - Rock'n Roll My Soul

Doc Holliday - Good Time Music

Just in through the door. I went a little bit crazy at the AOR Heaven's Christmas sale:

Boulder - s/t

Bangaloir Choir - On Target

Bai Bang - Are You Ready

Drive, She Said - Dreams Will Come

Fair Warning - Aura

Fast Forward - Living In Fiction

Tim Feehan - s/t

Grand Illusion - Brand New World

H.E.A.T. - Freedom Rock (JAP)

Bert Heerink - Better Yet...

Chris LAney - Only Come Out At night

Lost Weekend - Fear And Innocence

Mama Kin - In The City

Pangea - Retrospectacular

Section A - Sacrifice

Carl Sentance - Mind Doctor

Serpentine - A Touch Of Heaven

Shylock - Rock Buster

State Of Rock - A Point Of Destiny

Soul Doctor - Way Back To The Bone

Vain - All Those Strangers

Wild Horses - Bareback

Winter Parade - Two

Ziggurat - The Complete Ziggurat

Just in through the door. I went a little bit crazy at the AOR Heaven's Christmas sale:

Mama Kin - In The City

Have you heard this one yet? I LOVE it, great stuff! I am not a big KISS fan but take Stanley's voice and apply it the melodic rock they play and it is an awesome release. I still have this entire CD on my MP3 player and will listen to it multiple times some days.