VIXEN Guitarist Jan Kuehnemund Passes Away...

Fat Freddy

Jan Kuehnemund, guitarist of all-girl hair band Vixen, has passed away.

http://youtu.be/mQOmDUnt8Hs

From Vixen's official FB page:

It is with profound sadness that we announce the sudden passing of Vixen founder and lead guitarist, Jan Kuehnemund, who lost a fierce battle with cancer on Thursday, October 10, 2013. Though most well known for her gifted guitar playing and other musical talents, Jan was a rare friend and beautiful in every sense of the word. Humble, thoughtful, loyal and kind, she was the most gracious of women, possessing the quiet strength of a true warrior. She genuinely loved and appreciated her friends and fans more than most could ever know. Those who were most fortunate to have known her and loved her are heartbroken at the loss of Jan, whose spirit will shine through her music eternally.

Wow. She couldn't have been too old could she?

I suppose the big "C" has no age requirements...

RIP and condolences to her family and friends.

51 I think

Wow. She couldn't have been too old could she?

51 I think

Yep, Wikipedia sez she was 51 years old.

Jan was a fantastic person. No ego, lots of fun to be around, drop dead gorgeous. I probably interviewed her 4 or 5 times for different magazines between the first two releases.

Whenever we had an interview scheduled, she would send out for chocolate chip cookies and we would eat the entire box and talk, part interview, part just living life stuff.

Haven't spoken to her since 1992 but it seems like yesterday ...

Its always sad when someone dies like this, and what makes it sadder is that there will never be a reunion of the band they were famous.

Its always the sad endings like this that make you realise that the petty arguments and problems in life are such small things that are put into perspective by the sad finality of mortality.

It makes you realise that the guys in bands like GNR and Skid Row still continue to hold grudges, and one day it will be too late for all involved.

Jan will be missed by many, may she rest in peace.

• 2 weeks later...

Its always sad when someone dies like this, and what makes it sadder is that there will never be a reunion of the band they were famous.

Yep, this is always a thought for me too.

Sad news, I did not expect this at all. I love the first two Vixen discs too and must play them in her memory.

RIP, Jan, and thanks for the tunes.