What DVD's did you buy this week?

Dave

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WRONG TURN 2 (Unrated)

A totally fun splatterfest with some outrageous gore gags, including a woman split in half, a flayed-open spine, exploding bodies, disembowelments, cannibalism, shotgun wounds, arrows in heads, razor wire slashing, and victims crushed in an industrial garbage grinder. All done with maximum, over-the-top bloodiness. The film is very well-directed, but as you might expect from a straight-to-DVD release, some of the acting could be better. What could not be better, however, is the presence of Henry Rollins playing a badass ex-Marine who goes all Rambo on the cannibals' collective asses.

Good stuff, heartily recommended for horror fans who like guts 'n' gore.

There's a Wrong Turn 2?? The first one had that sexy girl from Buffy in it, hey? Elisha Dushku or whatever. Is she in the sequel?

Yep, believe it or not, they made a sequel. No Elisha Dushku this time around, though. However, Geoff, you will be happy to know that the stereotypical slutty girl gets naked in the movie, displaying her delicous norks and delectable ass. Of course, right after this sexy moment, she's face-down in a mountain stream with her spine carved open, which is a not-to-sexy moment. (Hope I didn't spoil the movie by telling you the slutty girl gets sliced-n-diced. I know that's such a shocking, never-been-used plot turn in horror films...)

WRONG TURN 2 (Unrated)

A totally fun splatterfest with some outrageous gore gags, including a woman split in half, a flayed-open spine, exploding bodies, disembowelments, cannibalism, shotgun wounds, arrows in heads, razor wire slashing, and victims crushed in an industrial garbage grinder. All done with maximum, over-the-top bloodiness. The film is very well-directed, but as you might expect from a straight-to-DVD release, some of the acting could be better. What could not be better, however, is the presence of Henry Rollins playing a badass ex-Marine who goes all Rambo on the cannibals' collective asses.

Good stuff, heartily recommended for horror fans who like guts 'n' gore.

There's a Wrong Turn 2?? The first one had that sexy girl from Buffy in it, hey? Elisha Dushku or whatever. Is she in the sequel?

Yep, believe it or not, they made a sequel. No Elisha Dushku this time around, though. However, Geoff, you will be happy to know that the stereotypical slutty girl gets naked in the movie, displaying her delicous norks and delectable ass. Of course, right after this sexy moment, she's face-down in a mountain stream with her spine carved open, which is a not-to-sexy moment. (Hope I didn't spoil the movie by telling you the slutty girl gets sliced-n-diced. I know that's such a shocking, never-been-used plot turn in horror films...)

:yikes: WTF?? The sexy slut dies??? No you di'nt!!

I'd actually like to see this one to be honest... just for interest's sake.

• 1 month later...

thin lizzy / live n dangerous

saxon / to hell n back

ac/dc / plug it in

live free or die

kissology 3

kissology 2

simpsons movie

superbad

hot rod

Journey - Live in Houston 1981 - Escape Tour

Still waiting on but should be here soon via the postman:

Y&T - Live One Hot Night.

Never The Bride - For Richer, For Poorer.

Northern Exposure - Complete Series

Simpsons - Season 10 box set

Vic Reeves Big Night Out - complete series

The Smell of Reeves and Mortimer - Complete serires

Bang Bang it's Reeves and Mortimer - complete series.

• 4 weeks later...

HATCHET (Unrated)

The horror sites raved about this one. "The best slasher in the last ten years!" they proclaimed. Well, God help the slasher genre if that's true, because this was a disappointment for me. Maybe the whole campy/tongue-in-cheek thing just doesn't work for me anymore, because I found the characters in this movie irritating. Sure, some of the dialogue was amusing ("That sounds like about as much fun as a bag of dicks"), but not amusing enough to hold my interest the whole way, and that's saying something, because "the whole way" is only 84 min. Took over half the film for the kills to kick in...

...and the kills are the only place this flick shines. Bodies ripped in half, guts flying everywhere, geysers of blood, dismemberment, decapitations, power tool mayhem (not sure how there was power in the swamp, but go with it...), hatchets in the face, and more! Yep, when the movie finally got around to slashin', it did it up good an' messy. You also get at least 5 or 6 shots of topless girls, so all the horror cliches were present & accounted for. :crazy:

And the ending...ugh, don't even get me started. So weak. Bottom line, nothing I'll ever watch again, and unless you're willing to watch a whole movie for just a couple minutes of gore, nothing I recommend anyone else watch even once. But if you do, rent it, don't buy it. Wish I'd done that...

• 2 weeks later...

DEATH SENTENCE (Unrated)

The few scenes inserted into this movie to make it "unrated" don't really add much to it, but that doesn't change the fact that this is one of the best revenge films of all time. Superbly & stylishly directed by James Wan (Saw), expertly acted by Kevin Bacon as the grieving/vigilante father, and packed with brutally bloody violence, this was one of my favorite flicks of 2007 and revisiting it on DVD, it has lost none of its impact.

Just got Iron Maiden's LIVE AFTER DEATH. I've only watched a few bits of it but OH what good bits they were! :beerbang:

SAW IV (Unrated Director's Cut)

I'm a huge fan of the Saw series and while this is good, it's a minor step down from the previous installments. Of course, with Jigsaw dead at the end of SAW III (sorry if I just spoiled it for anyone, but if you haven't seen #3 yet, shame on you) it was almost unavoidable for the latest entry to not measure up. Still, Jigsaw does make appearances (mainly via flashbacks) and the traps, while a little less over-the-top than #3, are still brutally vicious and the gore is plentiful, so a lot of what makes a Saw movie a Saw movie is still present. I know some fans are clamoring for this horror series to end, but I for one am still enjoying the bloody hell (pun intended) out of it and hope they churn out at least a few more.

Latest acquisitions...

Stone Cold (oldschool action classic)

Bloody Reunion (extreme Korean horror)

Live Free or Die Hard Uncut (pure escapist entertainment)

I'm a huge fan of the Saw series and while this is good, it's a minor step down from the previous installments. Of course, with Jigsaw dead at the end of SAW III (sorry if I just spoiled it for anyone, but if you haven't seen #3 yet, shame on you) it was almost unavoidable for the latest entry to not measure up. Still, Jigsaw does make appearances (mainly via flashbacks) and the traps, while a little less over-the-top than #3, are still brutally vicious and the gore is plentiful, so a lot of what makes a Saw movie a Saw movie is still present. I know some fans are clamoring for this horror series to end, but I for one am still enjoying the bloody hell (pun intended) out of it and hope they churn out at least a few more.

I know Saw V comes out in time for Halloween.. I WILL see that..... :tumbsup:

The Shop-Rite supermarket near my house is closing down their video rental department, and all their previously viewed rental DVDs are now 5 for $20. My wife came home with the following...

"Pulse" Unrated version

"Cellular"

"Stephen King's Desperation" (which she forgot we already HAVE...:doh: anyone want to trade a DVD for it?)

"Ghosts Never Sleep"

"The Psychic"

Haven't had time to watch any of 'em yet but will post my thoughts whenever we get round to it...

I know Saw V comes out in time for Halloween...I WILL see that..... :tumbsup:

I heard a rumor that the Saw producers claim things will wrap up with Saw VI, that all the various little subplots and loose threads will all be tied up. Maybe it's true, but more than likely the truth is that as long as these movies keep making money, they'll keep churning 'em out. Not that I'm complaining--I've enjoyed all the Saw films. Sure, some are better than others, but that's the nature of a horror franchise.

Latest acquisitions...

3:10 to Yuma

Shoot 'Em Up

Bourne Ultimatum

War

Resident Evil: Extinction

Dude.. War is freakin AWESOME!!!! :tumbsup: As is the Bourne Ultimatum... Hell ALL the Bourne movies are damn good.... I have the others, except Shoot em Up, haven't watched em yet though...... :whistle:

The Shop-Rite supermarket near my house is closing down their video rental department, and all their previously viewed rental DVDs are now 5 for $20. My wife came home with the following...

"Pulse" Unrated version

"Cellular"

"Stephen King's Desperation" (which she forgot we already HAVE...:doh: anyone want to trade a DVD for it?)

"Ghosts Never Sleep"

"The Psychic"

Haven't had time to watch any of 'em yet but will post my thoughts whenever we get round to it...

Dude.. Lemme know how Pulse is.. I been meaning to get that...... :tumbsup: