What DVD's did you buy this week?

Dave

Picked up a Region 2/PAL edition of SEVERANCE, a British horror-comedy that's due to be released here in the states this summer. Maybe my expectations were too high after hearing nothing but great things about this movie, but I was disappointed. It was supposed to be funny, but I only chuckled 3 times. It was supposed to be gory, but most of the gore scenes were so poorly lit you couldn't tell what was happening. I actually had to rewind a scene twice to find out a major character was decapitated! (As a sidenote, the bear-trap scene was an absolute doozy and had me both laughing and cringing at the same time. If only the other kill-sequences had been that cool...)

So, to my fellow horror fans on these boards, don't believe the exaggerated hype on this one. It's an okay rental at best, but certainly not a keeper.

Man I saw that a few months ago on TV (Film Four again maybe? ) and it was soooo boring, even my wife watched it without hiding behind a cushion....which is a first..lol. The beartrap is cringeworthy though and pretty gorey I guess - it was easily the best bit in the film, but even that didn't bring the cushion out!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought the Skid Row DVD: Under The Skin "The Makin' Of Thickskin". German version, but what the hell, i don't need subtitles. :)

After avoiding it for years due to reports that it was high in the cheese department, I finally broke down and bought DEMONS, the cult-fave zombie gore-fest produced by Dario Argento.

I should have kept on avoiding it. Movie sucked. Lackluster directing, abysmal acting, atrocious dialogue...and don't even get me started on the helicopter falling through the ceiling in just the nick of time. :blink: Even the gore was nowhere near as good as I expected (the Evil Dead this ain't). The only good thing about this film was the soundtrack, which featured kickin' 80s metal tracks from Scorpions, Saxon, Motley Crue, and Pretty Maids. :banger:

After avoiding it for years due to reports that it was high in the cheese department, I finally broke down and bought DEMONS, the cult-fave zombie gore-fest produced by Dario Argento.

I should have kept on avoiding it. Movie sucked. Lackluster directing, abysmal acting, atrocious dialogue...and don't even get me started on the helicopter falling through the ceiling in just the nick of time. :blink: Even the gore was nowhere near as good as I expected (the Evil Dead this ain't). The only good thing about this film was the soundtrack, which featured kickin' 80s metal tracks from Scorpions, Saxon, Motley Crue, and Pretty Maids. :banger:

If you thought DEMONS was that bad, then I guess I don't need to tell you to avoid DEMONS 3, a.k.a. THE CHURCH :blink: ... I picked that thing out of a bargain bin around the holidays and it was god-awful atrocious!!!

Back on topic, I didn't buy this (because it's not available on DVD, at least not officially) but a friend just hooked me up with a DVD-R of the hellaciously awesome bad '80s flick, HOWARD THE DUCK! :banana: Can't wait to watch this classic cheese fest again!!!

Latest additions to the DVD collection...

SLAUGHTER NIGHT--gory slasher movie from the Netherlands.

THE HITCHER (2007)--this remake is flashier & gorier, but Sean Bean is no Rutger Hauer.

THE PROTECTOR--insanely awesome martial arts action film. You haven't lived until you've seen a man throw a baby elephant through a window!

:respect:

Paid for it today. Released in two days. Then on it's on its way to me and I'm fu :censored: in' excited.

PAUL RODGERS - LIVE IN GLASGOW :banana:

My local movie store was having a blow-out sale on used DVDs, so I picked up...

SMOKIN' ACES (flashy, violent action-crime-thriller...Tarintino would be proud)

THE DESCENT (awesome horror movie, a must-see)

CRANK (one insanely wild action flick)

SNAKES ON A PLANE (I thought it was fun times, but nothing special)

The Shield Season 1

The Shield Season 3

The Bourne Supremacy

Blood Diamond

Found GI Joe - A Real American Hero and The Revenge Of Cobra mini-series on DVD. Super rare and only paid $20 for it. The kids love it (and I have to admit I do to)!

• 2 weeks later...

More cheap B-movies from the local dollar store. I'm hooked on these crappy movies. I think I need professional help.

- "Storm Trackers" (starring Luke Perry and Martin Sheen!)

- "Thrill Seekers" (starring Casper van Dien)

- "Danger Beneath The Sea" (also starring Casper van Dien - poor bastard, haha)

Double Feature: "Abraxas: Guardian Of The Universe" (starring Jesse "The Body" Ventura) and "Laser Mission" (starring Brandon Lee) both on one DVD (can't beat that for a buck!)

I look forward to watching all of these with a few malted beverages in me. :)

Bought SHOOTER on DVD yesterday. Best pure action movie of '07, if you ask me. It's loosely based on Stephen Hunter's (one of my favorite authors) novel "Point of Impact" and features a likeable but no-nonsense hero named Swagger wrongly accused and kicking all sorts of ass and creating all kinds of carnage. Even better, this hasn't been wussified for the teen crowd; it's a hard-hitting R-rated filck with plenty of graphic gunshots (Swagger is a master sniper) and blood-spurting mayhem. So, to sum it all up, if you like bloody, hard-hitting, revenge-fueled action films, SHOOTER will probably quickly take a place among your favorites.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to buy for my daughter today the Criss Angel Mindfreak DVD Gift Set 2005.

She will sit up to 1.30 AM in the morning just to watch him on TV.

Last week I got....

LA GUNS Live and Loaded

Children Of Bodom- Chaos Ridden Years - Stockholm Knockout Live

Saw II-The Uncut Version

The Hills Have Eyes-Uncut Version

Meatballs..Collectors Edition

I had not gotten anything new in a LONG time...

KILL BILL VOL. 1 (Uncut Japanese version)

In a word, sweeeeeeeet!!! For those who don't know, the version KILL BILL VOL. 1 shown in Japan was different than the one shown in the U.S. Most notably, the infamous "House of Blue Leaves" battle, shown in black-and-white in the States to avoid an NC-17 rating due to the massive amounts of gushing blood, is in full color here. There are also more severed limbs and some extra gore restored to the sequence. Also, the anime chapter detailing O-Ren's rise to power is a little gorier in this edition. Finally, the other major addition comes at the end of the film, when Beatrix throws Sofia (who lost her left arm at the beginning of the "Blue Leaves" massacre) in the trunk. Before she closes the trunk, Beatrix cuts off Sofia's other arm as well, complete with the expected arterial spray.

For fans of this film, this is the only version to have. Unfortunately, it's only available as an import, so you need an All-Region DVD player to watch it. If I had one complaint, it's that this DVD doesn't automatically give you subtitles when the characters speak in Japanese, meaning you need to have the remote handy to turn the subtitles on at various points in the film. A small price to pay for being able to watch the movie in all it's gory, uncut, uncensored glory.