What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

XOrigin - State of the Art

I realise this one is ending up in a lot of year-end lists, but it won't be anywhere near mine. In fact I don't like it at all. Sounds like it was recorded in someone's garage, the guitar tone and drum sound (surely a machine?) are bloody awful - even though the sound is clear. They have some songwriting ability, but should've sold those songs to a band with more ability IMO. With other v.strong euro-AOR stuff like The Magnificent, WOA and Grand Illusion coming out this year there's no need to ever play this one again. About a 5/10 from me.

I realise this one is ending up in a lot of year-end lists, but it won't be anywhere near mine. In fact I don't like it at all. Sounds like it was recorded in someone's garage, the guitar tone and drum sound (surely a machine?) are bloody awful - even though the sound is clear. They have some songwriting ability, but should've sold those songs to a band with more ability IMO. With other v.strong euro-AOR stuff like The Magnificent, WOA and Grand Illusion coming out this year there's no need to ever play this one again. About a 5/10 from me.

So you'd prefer the new HOL disc to this, just out of curiosity? IMO this crucifies the HOL disc in every way, most of all the sound quality. ;)

Simple Plan - 'Get your heart on'

Yellowcard - 'When you're through thinking...'

So you'd prefer the new HOL disc to this, just out of curiosity? IMO this crucifies the HOL disc in every way, most of all the sound quality. ;)

In terms of song quality I prefer the HOL as at least it has a couple of great songs, whereas nothing on XOrigin excites me at all. Sound quality is poor on both, and although the XOrigin is more listenable it just sounds so amateur. The guitar tone is woeful, so are the drums. The clarity of sound only makes these things worse, it would be better if the sound was muddier as then it wouldn't be so obvious it was recorded on the cheap.

Btw: have you seen that Yellowcard album has been re-released with acoustic versions of the songs? I'm gonna pick that one up...

Conquest - END OF DAYS

Megadeth - COUNTDOWN TO EXTINCTION

Helloween - KEEPER OF THE SEVEN KEYS PART ONE and PART TWO

Cinderella - STILL CLIMBING

Accept - Objection Overruled

Travis - Good Feeling

Travis - The Man Who

Travis - The Invisible Band

In terms of song quality I prefer the HOL as at least it has a couple of great songs, whereas nothing on XOrigin excites me at all. Sound quality is poor on both, and although the XOrigin is more listenable it just sounds so amateur. The guitar tone is woeful, so are the drums. The clarity of sound only makes these things worse, it would be better if the sound was muddier as then it wouldn't be so obvious it was recorded on the cheap.

Btw: have you seen that Yellowcard album has been re-released with acoustic versions of the songs? I'm gonna pick that one up...

Funny we disagree so much on those two, as there's not even a contest for me. I still have Xorigin sitting around the 87% mark whilst HOL is probably the most disappointing CD of the year for me (not even sure I put it in that thread?) rating in at 71%. I like the songs, production and style of the Xorigin disc. The HOL obviously sounds like they recorded it in my armpit, but the songs, imo, also aren't quite up to the HOL standard I expect for the most part.

As for Yellowcard... I did see that acoustic release somewhere the other day. I don't buy acoustic albums under any circumstance, and there's even less reason for me to buy an acoustic album of a proper album I already have, but it'd be interesting. That album takes a few songs to warm up, but once you hit the 4th song it's a surprisingly good CD from there on in.

Playing;

Mecca - 'Undeniable' ; lol, funnily enough my initial low opinion of this CD was perhaps a little higher than warranted. This is really doing 0 for me.

Funny we disagree so much on those two, as there's not even a contest for me. I still have Xorigin sitting around the 87% mark whilst HOL is probably the most disappointing CD of the year for me (not even sure I put it in that thread?) rating in at 71%. I like the songs, production and style of the Xorigin disc. The HOL obviously sounds like they recorded it in my armpit, but the songs, imo, also aren't quite up to the HOL standard I expect for the most part.

As for Yellowcard... I did see that acoustic release somewhere the other day. I don't buy acoustic albums under any circumstance, and there's even less reason for me to buy an acoustic album of a proper album I already have, but it'd be interesting. That album takes a few songs to warm up, but once you hit the 4th song it's a surprisingly good CD from there on in.

Playing;

Mecca - 'Undeniable' ; lol, funnily enough my initial low opinion of this CD was perhaps a little higher than warranted. This is really doing 0 for me.

I do agree a lot with you about the HOL, but I just don't like that XOrigin at all...

np: CHRIS CORNELL - "Euphoria Morning"

Just for the record, both the last 2 house of lords albums have been below standard IMO - and hence I do not own either. Also, dont bother seeing them live either, unless watching cardboard cutouts is your thing ;-)

on topic -

Marillion - Fugazi (another prog classic)

The Magnificent - s/t

The new Durbin

The new Daughtry

Just for the record, both the last 2 house of lords albums have been below standard IMO - and hence I do not own either. Also, dont bother seeing them live either, unless watching cardboard cutouts is your thing ;-)

on topic -

Marillion - Fugazi (another prog classic)

The Magnificent - s/t

The new Durbin

The new Daughtry

I'm not a fan of that new Daughtry one, just isn't sinking-in - although I do need to play it more. Songwriting isn't as good as the last one IMO...