What's a spinnin' in your CD player?

Toby Hitchcock - 'Mercury's Down' ; I don't know if I'm just being picky, but spinning this in my CD player for the first time (after the MP3's) I fear I've found the first fault in this album - the production. Drums especially sounded a bit muddy to me on the CD. Don't get me wrong - still an utterly stunning disc, but maybe just one issue for me.

House Of Lords - 'Big Money' ; speaking of production jobs that don't work for me, not a fan of this production either. Song-wise it's sounding a little patchy too and I'd have to say that the drums on 'Searchin' are arguably my most hated drum track of all time, on a rock CD. Otherwise, love a few of the songs so far.

Production on TH is a definite flaw & one which might see WoA top it? Not sure yet?

two new releases that climbed up the hill for me

DYNAZTY - Knock You Down (90%)

after four spins, this one eventually nailed a big score for me. Not a big fan of the production though, the sound is too piercing for my ears in a loud volume, but the songs are very strong, hooky, and groovy. Probably the main tracks will get around 85%, but then if I count with the whole 5 bonus tracks for the Japs and Euro version, this enjoyed a massive boost, especially the Japs bonus tracks, which I love all three. Too bad you need to spend more than $35 for that disc and only Jarred can afford it :christmas:

A solid effort and the vocal should make Sebastian Bach proud.. or envy ? :D

NEWMAN - Under Southern Skies (90%)

and how dare I give this 75% on the first impression. After another three spins, this is actually a very strong and consistent offering by Newman. The maturity of each songs, the production (especially this!), the vibe are excellent. The style is very classy, it's like if a five-stars hotel allowed a melodic rock to perform at their lobby, they will choose none other than Newman.

Some songs that I thought a bit weak/average at the first such as the title track and 'Monsterrat' turns out to be a good one at last. Glad to have this one in my collection and I hope I'm not alone on this high score. Highly recommended but don't let it go on first spin, it shines after several :tumbsup:

Is yr main Dynazty album Euro? I think the Euro version is so much better than the Jap. Better song versions & the production kicks arse IMO. Just a great album & as u say must make Bach green with envy cos this pisses on his solo effort IMO.

after four spins, this one eventually nailed a big score for me. Not a big fan of the production though, the sound is too piercing for my ears in a loud volume, but the songs are very strong, hooky, and groovy. Probably the main tracks will get around 85%, but then if I count with the whole 5 bonus tracks for the Japs and Euro version, this enjoyed a massive boost, especially the Japs bonus tracks, which I love all three. Too bad you need to spend more than $35 for that disc and only Jarred can afford it :christmas:

and how dare I give this 75% on the first impression. After another three spins, this is actually a very strong and consistent offering by Newman. The maturity of each songs, the production (especially this!), the vibe are excellent. The style is very classy, it's like if a five-stars hotel allowed a melodic rock to perform at their lobby, they will choose none other than Newman.

Some songs that I thought a bit weak/average at the first such as the title track and 'Monsterrat' turns out to be a good one at last. Glad to have this one in my collection and I hope I'm not alone on this high score. Highly recommended but don't let it go on first spin, it shines after several :tumbsup:

Is yr main Dynazty album Euro? I think the Euro version is so much better than the Jap. Better song versions & the production kicks arse IMO. Just a great album & as u say must make Bach green with envy cos this pisses on his solo effort IMO.

My single biggest CD wish for 2011 is to find the Euro version of the Dynazty CD. I have what I assume are the Jap MP3s and it sounds like it was recorded with tin cans rather than a drum kit. If the Euro version is that much better, then this could go through as my most incorrectly rated album of the year if I don't hear it. I do like the songs, but the production on the version I have is nothing short of shocking. Why is there (supposedly) such a huge difference?

Spinning:

Lionville - s/t

Stan Meissner - debut

yes, it's Stormvox version, hm yeah I think the sound on Japanese version is a bit buried maybe, but i only have MP3s so I'm not sure whether the quality is the same on the disc, but the three bonus tracks are awesome. I think they should release a B-side compilation later on when they have 4-5 albums because not everybody can afford this expensive thing :(

back to topic

ALYSON AVENUE - Changes (85%)

EYES - s/t (95%)

Toby Hitchcock - 'Mercury's Down' ; I don't know if I'm just being picky, but spinning this in my CD player for the first time (after the MP3's) I fear I've found the first fault in this album - the production. Drums especially sounded a bit muddy to me on the CD. Don't get me wrong - still an utterly stunning disc, but maybe just one issue for me.

House Of Lords - 'Big Money' ; speaking of production jobs that don't work for me, not a fan of this production either. Song-wise it's sounding a little patchy too and I'd have to say that the drums on 'Searchin' are arguably my most hated drum track of all time, on a rock CD. Otherwise, love a few of the songs so far.

Production on TH is a definite flaw & one which might see WoA top it? Not sure yet?

And you guys have the cheek to call me picky?! Both have a very slight mixing issue with the rhythm section at the expense of loud vocals (fine by me, as both are awesome vocalists), but the overall sound on both is still very clear and doesn't distort at high-volume. Sure the WOA disc has more polish than the TH, but to me it sounds a bit too slick and over-produced. I hate poor production as much as (probably more than) the next guy, but with these albums you're talking different degrees of excellence IMO.

np: SHANNON NOLL - Lift

Dynazty = modern rock, yes? Just wondering whether I can give it a wide berth.

@ James - Modern?? Lol. Errr no. In the main part reminds me of a slightly more melodic Skid Row. Kicks my arse - great album.

Yeah, Dynazty are about as modern as stuff that's really not modern. Total brain lapse, I got nothing. But they are seriously un-modern... in a good way.

Stan Meissner - the 2nd one. Hoping this is better than that pretty awful debut.

@ James - Modern?? Lol. Errr no. In the main part reminds me of a slightly more melodic Skid Row. Kicks my arse - great album.

Yeah, Dynazty are about as modern as stuff that's really not modern. Total brain lapse, I got nothing. But they are seriously un-modern... in a good way.

Good news = sounds good, I might need that one.

Bad news = sounds good, I might need that one.

:D