First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Teargas - a dark obsession

Awful.

you actually bought it when the funds could be better put towards buying the more worthy the deadthings cds? :beerbang:

no chance! Geoff the little Emo sent me a cdr of this to check in an attempt to get me like this. Sorry Geoff!

Id go as far as saying The Deadthings are better then this by a long way!.

O how the potentially decent fall, before they even get a chance to rise...

Have you guys seen some Jean Claude Vann Gay movie where, in his most homosexual voice, he says, 'Why those guys they try to hurt me?'

Well, I just thought of that then. The Teargas EP kicks ass. The sooner y'all realise the sooner we can pat each other's backs in awkward attempts at consolation.

Seriously, Matt... is that the first time you've spun it just now?

yeh it was, but once was too much.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jaded Heart - Sinister Mind

Being somewhat a fan of their past release i was looking forward to this, even with the new members. But all ive done is skip tracks. Nothing at all stands out to me except the title track which is cool track.

You just wouldnt know this is the same band as Trust and The Journey will never end...

Although as i write this the Chorus to Heavenly Devotion is going rather nicely...

Prong, POWER OF THE DAMAGER - sounds OK so far, even with a new lineup behind him, Tommy Victor still sounds like the same ol' Prong. Nothing jumps out at me as the next "Snap Your Fingers, Snap Your Neck," but this is pretty cool.

Sodom, THE FINAL SIGN OF EVIL - Lo-fi, satanic thrash just like they played it back in the day. Cartoonish as hell, but fun in a dumb sort of way.

I picked up those 2 recently as well. The SODOM is great IMO, & the PRONG probably would be too if the guitar sound wasn't blunted by the rough production job....

Redrum - No Turning Back

Being a fan of Michael Bormann's voice I was really looking foward to this. To say I feel a little let down would be an understatement. While the cd gets off to a great start with "Rise Up" and the title track, the rest of the cd is just a bunch of songs that I'm probably gonna have trouble remembering the titles to. "Heart to Heart" and "Judgement Day" aren't bad either but again most of the songs are just 'forgettable' IMO. "Too Good to be True" and "Innocent" have to be two of the worst songs that Bormann has recorded. Overall I almost get the feel of him just using the old 'this will do' attitude when recording these songs. Maybe I need to listen to this one again but upon first impression this is how I feel and I'll say I much prefer the RAIN 'Stronger' and Bormann's own 'Conspiracy' releases from last year to this Redrum cd.

Redrum - No Turning Back

Being a fan of Michael Bormann's voice I was really looking foward to this. To say I feel a little let down would be an understatement. While the cd gets off to a great start with "Rise Up" and the title track, the rest of the cd is just a bunch of songs that I'm probably gonna have trouble remembering the titles to. "Heart to Heart" and "Judgement Day" aren't bad either but again most of the songs are just 'forgettable' IMO. "Too Good to be True" and "Innocent" have to be two of the worst songs that Bormann has recorded. Overall I almost get the feel of him just using the old 'this will do' attitude when recording these songs. Maybe I need to listen to this one again but upon first impression this is how I feel and I'll say I much prefer the RAIN 'Stronger' and Bormann's own 'Conspiracy' releases from last year to this Redrum cd.

Yeah, I agree mate. Sadly for me, though, I'd include 'Conspiracy' and the Rain album is this 'going through the motions' category. While I do agree they were both much better than this album, you could pretty much take any one song from any one of those albums and put it on the other... and more to the point, you could collectively only gather about half a dozen real gems from all 3 albums. I love the guy and I still enjoy his output to an extent, but I bet those people who knocked the amazing 'Trust' album are clinging onto how awesome that album actually was... where Bormann last displayed what he's truly capable of.

Redrum - No Turning Back

Yeah, I agree mate. Sadly for me, though, I'd include 'Conspiracy' and the Rain album is this 'going through the motions' category. While I do agree they were both much better than this album, you could pretty much take any one song from any one of those albums and put it on the other... and more to the point, you could collectively only gather about half a dozen real gems from all 3 albums. I love the guy and I still enjoy his output to an extent, but I bet those people who knocked the amazing 'Trust' album are clinging onto how awesome that album actually was... where Bormann last displayed what he's truly capable of.

its been kinda going downhill since Trust hasnt it for Bormann... tons of releases... nothing lives up to that though

Redrum - No Turning Back

its been kinda going downhill since Trust hasnt it for Bormann... tons of releases... nothing lives up to that though

If only he'd just waited and put the 3 good songs from his last few projects together into one cd.

QUIET RIOT-"GUILTY PLEASURES and TERRIFIED".

Wow what a surprise here. These both are GREAT releases....the sound on both is that

Classic "Metal Health" sound IMO. I have got to hand it to QR..I thought these would be

detuned alt/crap/modern shit..but they are not...No these are Classic 80's sound and style

without being cheesy... the songs and playing are top notch. Kevin and Carlos really sound inspired...of course Frankie is great as always...Great stuff here!! Recommended!!!

Wow what a surprise here. These both are GREAT releases....the sound on both is that

Classic "Metal Health" sound IMO. I have got to hand it to QR..I thought these would be

detuned alt/crap/modern shit..but they are not...No these are Classic 80's sound and style

without being cheesy... the songs and playing are top notch. Kevin and Carlos really sound inspired...of course Frankie is great as always...Great stuff here!! Recommended!!!

You need to check out "Down to the Bone" and "Alive and Well" too.

You need to check out "Down to the Bone" and "Alive and Well" too.

I have "Down to the Bone"...pretty good IMO...I'll check out the

"Alive and Well"...thanks for the tip... :drink:

Sebastian Bach: "Angel Down"

I'm cheating, 'cause I've spun this more than once (about 4 times, actually), but while I posted my thoughts in the Sebastian Back thread, I never put them here. As I said there, while this doesn't reach "Slave to the Grind" levels, it definitely kicks some major ass, though it leans more toward heavy metal territory than hard rock turf. The choruses, while still fairly catchy/memorable, aren't as big/anthemic as Skid Row, relying more on slamming riffs than commercial hooks.

The more I read about this release (not just here, but elsewhere on the 'Net), it seems the headbangers are embracing it while the hard rockers are irritated that it's so ballsy/heavy/angry/screaming/etc.

Me, I like it. And that's all that matters. To me, anyway.

Fashion Police – All 3 of them ; to be quick and to the point, I love these guys. Definitely knew how to throw in a filler, but for each filler there is an outright killer. Just good, solid 80’s style hard rock. And even the latest one, ‘A loud minority’ kicks ass. Love the ballad on that one. These guys would please any fan of 80’s hard rock imo. Probably my fave Suncity releases so far.

Halford - METAL GOD ESSENTIALS VOL. I

A sweet compilation of the best of Rob's non-Priest material. The good news: there is nothing from the TWO release on here! :lol: The bad news: the studio version of "Light Comes Out Of Black" (Rob's first foray as a solo artist, backed by the members of Pantera, which appeared on 1992's "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" movie soundtrack) is NOT on here. (I refuse to buy the "Buffy" soundtrack for the sake of that one song dammit! Rob, put it on ESSENTIALS VOL. 2 please!) The majority of the album is made up of goodies from the RESURRECTION album (2000) and the overlooked CRUCIBLE (2002), but collectors will be interested in the 1999 demo version of "Silent Screams" (later re-recorded for RESURRECTION), the song which signaled Rob's return to metal after his little trip through the techno-NIN daisy patch, and the demo versions of Fight's "Into The Pit," "Nailed To The Gun," and "War Of Words." (those Fight demos, by the way, are being released in their entirety as a separate CD, which supposedly contains some non-album tracks... sweet!) Two "new" Halford songs (available earlier this year as iTunes exclusive MP3s), "Forgotten Generation" and "Drop Out," also make this one a must-have for the Halford completist. The only song that's really unnecessary is the final track, "Hypocrisy US Mix," which is just a remix of "Forgotten Generation" ... someone please tell Rob to quit dabbling in remixes, it is sooooo 1993, haha.

The album also comes with a bonus DVD, which I haven't had time to watch yet, but I hope to ASAP!

:beerbang:

The DVD is really cool. There's a video for an acoustic song called 'In the Morning' that I'd never heard before. There's a few other videos on there I'd never seen before too.

As far as the cd goes I'll agree it was stupid to put that remix on there and leave 'Light Comes out of Black' off of that cd. I also found it strange that 'Locked and Loaded' and 'Slow Down' were included in this cd instead of 'Cyberworld' and 'Nighfall'. I did like the inclusions from the Crucible album but wouldn't of minded 'One Will' or the title track on there too.

Quiet Riot-Alive and Well. Thanks to Wes I finally got to hear this...What a Killer

Release. Pure QR Sound and Style here. No Filler all Killer. Kevin's Vox are

especially strong and Carlos is Amazing. Great Songs, Great Production...Shoulda been huge. A great release!!!

Beckett - s/t ; nice AOR album, but not great. I felt quite patriotic to hear the song 'Not a day goes by' (by Rick Price) was actually the best track. There was another excellent late track; 'Still of the night'. Another mid-tempo gem. Aside from those 2, not much going on here. A nice album, but not great by any means.

Alter Bridge - 'One day remains' ; not bad, I guess. Still sounds like grunge with a good guitarist. I don't know, this is okay. Much better than the new album.

Flu Thirteen - 'In the foul key of V' ; well, sadly I was able to manage down this CD from the guys who went on to become the excellent Diffuser. This sounds a bit like Diffuser... before they decided to put choruses in their songs. Seriously there is nothing on this CD but dull noise - no highlights just one big lowlight. Awful. Never to be spun again.

Over It - 'Timing is everything' ; Not much stood out on this for me, but I actually really enjoyed it. Short, fast paced and to the point. I really did enjoy what I heard here - much more than their average more mellow recent CD.

Relient K - s/t ; I enjoyed their 'Kmmmmph' CD or whatever it's called and the new one is good, but I have one of their older ones and decided not to seek out their earlier discs. Well, 2 fell in my lap today for au$6 each so I thought why not. This is okay, but seriously why do I listen to Christian bands? The lyrics... jeebus wept. I don't know, this CD is okay. Nothing more - probably bordering on pretty shit to be honest.

Quiet Riot - 'Condition Critical' ; This sounds very similar, though not quite as good as the 'Metal Health' disc I've owned forever. I do like this, but it sort of backs up why I never went out of my way to hunt down their catalogue.

Quiet Riot - 'The Randy Rhoads Years' ; I liked this one. A few stronger tracks on this one - good stuff indeed.

Quiet Riot - 'Terrified' ; just starting this one up, but it sounds just like 1984! :lol: It's amazing how their sound never changed... but this is good stuff again. The songs are sounding pretty good so far.

MPG - road to salvation

Not sure what to think of this one. Is it great? Possibly. It has a nice modern updated sound so Push fans will love it, and Peters still keeps the same similar song style. Some of the songs are very very cool, yet i couldnt get all the way through. Maybe because several of the songs sound the same.

Black Majesty - tomorrowland.

I love this band. The debut "sands of time" is brilliant. The songs on Tomorrowland keep the standard Black Majesty style however.. they all sound the same, theres no catchyness at all. Its just the same all the way through the songs. The musicianship is brilliant.. but im bored. Another difference is there there seems to be a lack of passion and power in these songs compared to some of the brilliant tracks on "sands of time".

Crazy Lixx - Loud Minority.

I was really looking forward to this after hearing some of the excellent demos theyve had over the past years. This is great fun rock, and they have really stepped it up a notch. All these songs sound like they couldve been on Sleeze Beez- screwed blued and tattooed. Only problem is there are a few filler towards the end.

Beckett - s/t ; nice AOR album, but not great. I felt quite patriotic to hear the song 'Not a day goes by' (by Rick Price) was actually the best track. There was another excellent late track; 'Still of the night'. Another mid-tempo gem. Aside from those 2, not much going on here. A nice album, but not great by any means.

Yeah that one's as boring as hell. I love his PLAYER stuff but that solo disc got a few spins then got sold.

SWORN ENEMY - Maniacal

This is one raging thrash metal CD. They used to be more of a hardcore band but given the new thrash renaissance their sound has become faster/heavier, & with a mighty production job this is killer. Some chanty choruses add to the thrashy feel. Excellent stuff....

SWORN ENEMY - Maniacal

This is one raging thrash metal CD. They used to be more of a hardcore band but given the new thrash renaissance their sound has become faster/heavier, & with a mighty production job this is killer. Some chanty choruses add to the thrashy feel. Excellent stuff....

Yeah Great stuff indeed... :beerbang:

Yeah that one's as boring as hell. I love his PLAYER stuff but that solo disc got a few spins then got sold.

Thought you liked this one TIM??? Anyways - great one for me, and strong throughout, 'My Religion' and 'The Bottom Line' are mighty fine tunes and take the top spot! Great line up of players as well.

Quiet Riot - 'Terrified' ; just starting this one up, but it sounds just like 1984! :lol: It's amazing how their sound never changed... but this is good stuff again. The songs are sounding pretty good so far.

I listened to the rest of that, and then 'Guilty Pleasures' and it is confirmed... I think Quiet Riot got better with time, as I think these 2 are probably their strongest albums.

I am truly amazed at how true to their original sound they managed to stay. As I said above, both these albums sound like they could have been from 1984 - same production and sound. The drums and guitars just never changed - nothing did! :D Good stuff, I really enjoyed the QR trip.

Awful.

you actually bought it when the funds could be better put towards buying the more worthy the deadthings cds? :beerbang:

no chance! Geoff the little Emo sent me a cdr of this to check in an attempt to get me like this. Sorry Geoff!

Have you guys seen some Jean Claude Vann Gay movie where, in his most homosexual voice, he says, 'Why those guys they try to hurt me?'

Well, I just thought of that then. The Teargas EP kicks ass. The sooner y'all realise the sooner we can pat each other's backs in awkward attempts at consolation.

This would have to by my 'biggest disappointment cd release' of 2007.

Awful.

This would have to by my 'biggest disappointment cd release' of 2007.

You guys all suck.

Someone please direct Doggy's attention to this thread. He's a man of good taste; I bet he likes the new Teargas EP.

And please note, I do think they were and could have been so much better, BUT, it didn't happen and this did, and I can happily deal with the new sound. Even if I wish they had continued in their old style doesn't mean this one doesn't kick all kinds of different ass.

Thought you liked this one TIM??? Anyways - great one for me, and strong throughout, 'My Religion' and 'The Bottom Line' are mighty fine tunes and take the top spot! Great line up of players as well.

No I got this one confused with Steve Kipner's solo disc. I didn't like this at all, too generic....