First Spin Impressions

JustJason

CAVALERA CONSPIRACY - Inflikted (Advance)

Wow, talk about a let down. Lots of hype surrounding this one as is the first time these guys have recorded in over a decade. I have only played it once but anyone expecting it to sound like "Beneath The Remains" or "Arise" is going to be seriously disappointed here as there's absolutely no thrash just pure (experimental) Modern Metal all the way. With strange sound-effects & a rather odd blunt guitar tone, this is much more like the debut Soulfly album than anything they did together in Sepultura (it's not even as aggressive sounding as "Roots"). It does have a few highlights but it just never sounds very heavy - due to that guitar sound - & Igor certainly never gets to shine as this is mostly mid-tempo dirge. Max may still be an awesome vocalist, but in the world of Modern Metal this is left trailing in the dust of bands like Lamb of God or Devildriver. In fact I much prefer both the last - much thrashier - Soulfly ("Dark Ages") and the last Sepultura ("Dante XXIV") to this album. Disappointing to say the least.

SIMPLE PLAN - S/T

I really like this band, definitely one of the better crop of Modern Rock artists, & this album is even catchier/hookier than previous albums. The fact the guitars are less in evidence doesn't detract from the very classy album, full of polish & big harmonies. The only strange thing here is the running order, as the best 4 tracks are at the end (especially the killer duo "Holding On" and "No Love"). In fact after the fairly average "Generation" in the middle this album just totally steps up a gear. Anyone who finds this music too generic won't be won over here, but they are one of the very best at writing ultra-catchy melodic pop/rock tunes.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fastway - S/T

I've heard a couple of other Fastway cds and consider myself a casual fan but had never gotten around to picking up the debut until recently. Just like the other Fastway cds there's not to much not to like on this one. They follow the blueprint laid out by Led Zeppelin with vocalist Dave King even sounding like a dead ringer for Mr. Plant. There's also some great riffs being laid down by original Motorhead six stringer Fast Eddie Clark. There's is a few just okay filler type tracks but overall there's some great stuff on here like "Say What You Will", "Heft"(which is on the Trick or Treat Soundtrack), "Easy Livin", "Feel Me Touch Me", "Another Day" and "We Become One".

That's a killer disc, you also have to check out the Trick Or Treat Soundtrack and Waiting For The Roar it's a little bit more keyboard driven but an excellent disc IMO.

Back on topic...

ALIEN - S/T

An oldie but it's the first time I've heard it and man was I blown away top notch Jim Jidhed has killer vocals and the harmonies and guitar work is outstanding with killer hooks I definately glad I picked this one up. Tears Don't Put Out The Fire is a great tune but the one that really got my attention was The Air That I Breath I love the way the bass kicks in during the chorus a very nice touch to a great song. Other stand out tracks Now Love, Go Easy and Touch My Fire.

ATLANTIC - Power

A good disc so far from what I heard nothing really stood out for me on the first spin but a very good disc with great harmonies and good guitar work.

JIM - S/T

When I saw that Trond Holter was on this disc I had to have it, and man I'm glad I spent the money to get it. WOW does Jim Jidhed have a great voice no real fillers here he remade Love Hurts I never cared for this song but he really did it well.

Fastway - S/T

I've heard a couple of other Fastway cds and consider myself a casual fan but had never gotten around to picking up the debut until recently. Just like the other Fastway cds there's not to much not to like on this one. They follow the blueprint laid out by Led Zeppelin with vocalist Dave King even sounding like a dead ringer for Mr. Plant. There's also some great riffs being laid down by original Motorhead six stringer Fast Eddie Clark. There's is a few just okay filler type tracks but overall there's some great stuff on here like "Say What You Will", "Heft"(which is on the Trick or Treat Soundtrack), "Easy Livin", "Feel Me Touch Me", "Another Day" and "We Become One".

That's a killer disc, you also have to check out the Trick Or Treat Soundtrack and Waiting For The Roar it's a little bit more keyboard driven but an excellent disc IMO.

The Trick or Treat Soundtrack was the first the cd of theirs I heard/owned and it rules IMO.

It was actually the second cd I ever owned. I have a copy of "All Fired Up" and it's great too. :tumbsup:

T.K.O.-Below the Belt

I'm huge fan of Brad Sinsel's voice from the War Babies cd but hadn't ever had the chance of hearing TKO until recently.

There's a cool mix of Classic style rock and a more Melodic Hard Rock on this disc. I'd say there's only one filler and that would be "Can't let Go". My fav tracks are the more Classic Rock sounding "Beware the Hunter", "Below the Belt", "With My Back to the Wall" and the more Melodic Hard Rock sounding "Sticks N Stones", "Falling to Pieces", "Seventeen"(my fav on the cd) and "Chains don't Change". Overall a solid 80's Rock album with great vocals from Mr. Sinsel. Is it me or does Brad have a Steven Tyler on Jack Daniels sound to his voice?

Julliet- s/t

Some excellent hard rock on this one. Many great tunes such as "Eight Lives Gone", "Stay the Night", and "No More Tears". The cover of "Leave your hat on" is good but IMO is a little out of place. Overall a good album that I'm sure will get many future spins. The one thing that is bothering me is the singers voice. He sounds like someone else but I can't place it.

Andi Deris-Done By Mirrors

With Andi being one of my favorite vocalists I thought I'd love this cd. Boy was I wrong. I'm not sure what Andi was going for on this one but I'm not a big fan at all. I'll commend him for not following the easy route and making a cd that sounds exactly like his day job(Helloween) but it would of been nice if he'd wrote some good songs. It's safe to say that I won't be spinning this to often, that is unless I'm drunk and put the cd in the player by mistake.

With Andi being one of my favorite vocalists I thought I'd love this cd. Boy was I wrong. I'm not sure what Andi was going for on this one but I'm not a big fan at all. I'll commend him for not following the easy route and making a cd that sounds exactly like his day job(Helloween) but it would of been nice if he'd wrote some good songs. It's safe to say that I won't be spinning this to often, that is unless I'm drunk and put the cd in the player by mistake.

Oh my God do I agree with you on this one. I put this in expecting an unreal album, not Helloween redux but an awesome rock album by an unreal vocalist. By song 2 I was WTF?? :blink: I put it away never to resurface. I sold it not too long ago.

KHYMERA - The Greatest Wonder

This is sensational. My dislike for Dennis Wards' nasally vocals continues here, & the production is not very crisp, but otherwise this is flawless AOR. Better than their last album, which itself I loved, this is just such a consistent set of tunes. The title-track, "Borderline" & "Love Will Find You" are the 3 best AOR songs of 2008 so far (the new Brother Firetribe and House of Lords will have to be good to beat them) & there really are hardly any fillers here. The album also saves the very best tunes for near the end so it finishes strongly also, but anyone thinking there wasn't much good AOR coming out at the moment (which there isnt) should snap this up ASAP. Killer CD.

This is sensational. My dislike for Dennis Wards' nasally vocals continues here, & the production is not very crisp, but otherwise this is flawless AOR. Better than their last album, which itself I loved, this is just such a consistent set of tunes. The title-track, "Borderline" & "Love Will Find You" are the 3 best AOR songs of 2008 so far (the new Brother Firetribe and House of Lords will have to be good to beat them) & there really are hardly any fillers here. The album also saves the very best tunes for near the end so it finishes strongly also, but anyone thinking there wasn't much good AOR coming out at the moment (which there isnt) should snap this up ASAP. Killer CD.

Backed 100%- Brilliant disc.

WORK OF ART - Artwork

This one will need to grow on me some more, but it really does seem to be an album of two halves. It opens brilliantly, "Why Do I?" is classic Westcoast AOR with a killer chorus. They sound remarkably like fellow Swedes TIME GALLERY - who in turn sound remarkably like TOTO - & they really know how to write some hooky tunes. Another majestic tune is "Whenever U Sleep", which borders on pure AOR, but really the whole thing is built around album centrepiece "Once In A Lifetime". A track so immense you just spin it over & over. But then the whole thing just tails-off & having dealt all their cards early it leaves you thinking this is a top class CD that could've done with a few killer tunes at the end...

Backed.

I love those songs too, but my favs are 'Since You Went Away' and the absolutely marvellous, killer 'No Sacrifice'.

Is that the one I sent you, Wes? Cuz I don't think I ever made it all the way thru that disc either. :blink:

Is that the one I sent you, Wes? Cuz I don't think I ever made it all the way thru that disc either. :blink:

Yeah that's one of the ones you sent. Do you want it back? ;)

Hmmm, nahh, that's OK. It took me long enuff to get rid of it the first time. :) Use it for a beer coaster, with my compliments.

Gasoline by Dirty Looks.

All I can say is "WOW!" It's like they never stopped recording. I mean it's no Cool From The Wire but this is still a bad ass cd. Anyone who hasn't got this now, sign off, go to the record store and get this damn thing. Rock albums this good don't come around often these days and the only way to make sure we get more is to buy them when they come out.

Gasoline by Dirty Looks.

All I can say is "WOW!" It's like they never stopped recording. I mean it's no Cool From The Wire but this is still a bad ass cd. Anyone who hasn't got this now, sign off, go to the record store and get this damn thing. Rock albums this good don't come around often these days and the only way to make sure we get more is to buy them when they come out.

Backed. That was my first impression and I still feel that way having owned it for a few months or so. :banger:

Today's first impression (although I did listen to it yesterday too, but I'm only three songs into my second listen): Big Cock - Motherload

Balls out, pure rock'n'roll, plain and simple. Good solid production albeit a bit stripped down. Stripped down seems to work for Mason and Co. though, they've got the chops to pull it off. The choruses are more solid and the grooves are more solid than the first two releases which I am not a huge fan of. This shit just cranks it up to 11 and keeps it there. No apologies for the lack of PC (which is just fine with me), sex, chicks and sex with a hint of rock'n'roll... not much other subject matter, and none needed. I hope I continue to like this as much on subsequent spins.

Gasoline by Dirty Looks.

Backed. That was my first impression and I still feel that way having owned it for a few months or so. :banger:

Today's first impression (although I did listen to it yesterday too, but I'm only three songs into my second listen): Big Cock - Motherload

Balls out, pure rock'n'roll, plain and simple. Good solid production albeit a bit stripped down. Stripped down seems to work for Mason and Co. though, they've got the chops to pull it off. The choruses are more solid and the grooves are more solid than the first two releases which I am not a huge fan of. This shit just cranks it up to 11 and keeps it there. No apologies for the lack of PC (which is just fine with me), sex, chicks and sex with a hint of rock'n'roll... not much other subject matter, and none needed. I hope I continue to like this as much on subsequent spins.

I've liked that album more and more with each listen.

Judas Priest - Stained Class

I've been meaning to pick up this cd for years but finally just now got around to it. And I'm not dissapointed at all. This is one of best discs in the Judas Priest catalog IMO. The big difference in some of the early stuff like this cd is the drumming of Les Binks which is ten times as good as Dave Holland. It makes me wonder how much better Priest would of been if Binks would remained behind the drum stool throughout the 80's. This is the remastered version with the unreleased bonus track "Fire Burns Below", which is good song but sounds like it should of came off of "Point of Entry".

This cd has some of my fav Priest tunes like "Exciter", "Stained Class", and "Beyond the Realms of Death"(which is in my top 5 JP songs of all time).

CHILDREN OF BODOM - Blooddrunk

After the disappointment of the Cavalera Conspiracy nonsense, is great to hear a top quality Metal album (in a year when there haven't been too many so far...) Going back to their old sound with plenty of keyboards this is a rip-snorting Metal album, with Laiho proving he's one of the best lead-guitarists on Earth - even if he can't sing for shit. "Banned From Heaven" is a soaring mid-paced epic with bombastic keyboards & glorious solos, but the title-track is destined to be the single. Huge riffs & a great chanty chorus, with a keyboard solo. :whistle: After a dull last offering ("Are You Dead Yet?") they're back to their best.

Hmmm, nahh, that's OK. It took me long enuff to get rid of it the first time. :) Use it for a beer coaster, with my compliments.

Yeah, that disc sucks. Loved his debut, though.

SIMPLE PLAN - S/T

I really like this band, definitely one of the better crop of Modern Rock artists, & this album is even catchier/hookier than previous albums. The fact the guitars are less in evidence doesn't detract from the very classy album, full of polish & big harmonies. The only strange thing here is the running order, as the best 4 tracks are at the end (especially the killer duo "Holding On" and "No Love"). In fact after the fairly average "Generation" in the middle this album just totally steps up a gear. Anyone who finds this music too generic won't be won over here, but they are one of the very best at writing ultra-catchy melodic pop/rock tunes.

I have to say, based on my first spin, I don't think it quite lives up to the excellent 'Still not getting any'. There is no doubt these guys can write a beautiful big chorus with delicious harmonies and there are some tracks on here which are as good as the last album - the ballads and mid-tempo tunes here are sensational - but I just don't think there are quite as many songs that are as good as the last album. The one HUGE plus I do have to say is that I'm glad to see the vocalist trying his best to get out of his awful pop-punk voice. He's not there yet, but he's trying and I like it.

Rockarma - 'Bring it' ; Finally got this one. In all brutal honesty, the truth of the matter is, if it sucked I'd have used my artistic words to cushion the blow and still try to assure Pete it was pretty cool... but thank Jeebers I don't need to fib! I absolutely love this thing! Anyone who knows of my tastes and adoration for recent releases by bands like Attraction, Blind Date, Hot Shot and Kidd Blue will know this is right up my alley and I'm lapping it up like a thirsty pug!!! I really adore this thing and I'm happy to say it. Pete's guitar work is a delight too and aside from 'Badjune', every song kicks ass!

HAHA... I kid! :P I love 'Badjune' too. I loved it all. Not 100% familiar with all the song names yet, but I'm loving the commercial/melodic numbers like 'Miss you'. The title track is killer too. I can say with complete honesty that this is my favourite album of 2008 so far!!! And unlike the above bands, this was actually recorded in 2007, which is even more amazing. Awesome authentic late 80's / early 90's hard rock album.

Eva - Blue

I really quite liked their previous disc ' The One', but after over 6 years of nothing, I thought this band were no more. So a really nice surprise when I heard this was to be released. I can happily report that it is a belter of a disc that surpasses the last one in every department. The first 4 tracks on here especially, will be amongst some of the best AOR songs you are likely to hear this year without doubt, although the rest certainly aren't far behind either. Good, consistent and well produced it all is. My only slight moan (as was noted by Geoff on the last album) is that the vocalist, who whilst having a mighty fine AOR voice (think Peter Cox from Go West) still has that quite accented delivery (not his fault I know) and some of the lyrics are quite hard to understand in places. A minor quibble. as the quality of this disc more than makes up for. Whilst the last few years have been very dissapointing for AOR fans in general, 08' has started in cracking fashion with this, Work Of Art and Khymera. Long may the quality continue.

SIMPLE PLAN - S/T

I have to say, based on my first spin, I don't think it quite lives up to the excellent 'Still not getting any'. There is no doubt these guys can write a beautiful big chorus with delicious harmonies and there are some tracks on here which are as good as the last album - the ballads and mid-tempo tunes here are sensational - but I just don't think there are quite as many songs that are as good as the last album. The one HUGE plus I do have to say is that I'm glad to see the vocalist trying his best to get out of his awful pop-punk voice. He's not there yet, but he's trying and I like it.

Stick with it mate. It's worth it.... Whereas I really liked it on first spin, I'm loving it now....

SIMPLE PLAN - S/T

Stick with it mate. It's worth it.... Whereas I really liked it on first spin, I'm loving it now....

Hey mate, don't get me wrong. I'm loving the disc... but I really rate 'Still not getting any' quite high.

I spun it literally about 4-5 times yesterday. There are a lot of ballads on this album, I've noticed. A lot. Thing is, they're all superb. The more rocking tracks are generally strong too, but not quite as good as some of the mid-tempo and rockier tracks off the last album. Overall, though I do really enjoy the album. Completely agree with you about the running order of the tracks, though. Something about it doesn't work well. And yeah, the last few songs are awesome.

Marchello-Destiny

Solid Melodic Hard Rock with some great guitar playing. Very TNT-ish on many of the songs. I might be way off but on a few of the more cheesy songs they remind me of "Scratch N Sniff" era Fate. All in all there's some great songs on this disc. Another big thank you to Ty for hooking me up with this.

House of Lords-Come to My Kingdom

While this one isn't as good as "World Upside Down" IMO, it is a very good cd and should be in many peoples top five or at least ten albums of 2008. For me there's a not quite as many rocking songs that there was on the last album and overall this cd leans more to the AOR sound. I'd say from first spin there's only two fillers with those being "Your Every Move" and "Even Love Can't Save Us". But who knows maybe with a few more spins I like those songs more.