First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Dungeon are dead (actually one of the worst bands ive ever seen live... but anyway)... They are now carried on by the lead singer under the name "Lord". He has a new album out now.

Dungeon is the second ultra-cheesy power metal band from Australia that I've heard now (the other being Pegazus). I kinda like both of 'em though, in an ironic way. They're both ridiculously cheesy and cliche but the love for what they're doing shines thru and makes me smile. :lol:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to TAFE (substitute university/college in Australia) with the drummer in this band. I am soooooooo famous.

I went to high school with the guitar player from Trixter. I think that makes me more famous than you.

No, wait... that just makes me older than you. Dammit. :(

Delain - Lucidity

Sounds like a poor mans Within Temptation. I got really bored with this one straight away. Every song sounded the same, and i just skipped. The only redeeming point was that unlike WT there are some guitar solos - but none that memorable. They also use a very nightwish male vocal... Go listen to Nightwish or Within Temptation instead

Razzle - the eternal buzz

I finally got to hear this one as ive been wanting to hear it for years!! Well for fans of Chase, Nouveaux and Tower City, this is for you... as long as you like the lighter side of those bands.... This is somewhat catchy, and it may grow on me.... but CMON GUYS GROW SOME BALLS AND ROCK A BIT! This is so damn lite! Its 80% harmony vocals (which are soft anyway) and some guitars hidden in the background.

Dungeon - A RISE TO POWER (2003)

Got a promotional copy of this disc in a trade. Having never heard of the band before I didn't know quite what to expect but judging from the comic book style cover art (a hairy guy who looks like The Hulk breaking out of shackles) and song titles like "The Prophecy," "Stormchaser" and "Netherlife (Black Roses Die)" I had a feeling I was in for some cheesy Euro-style power metal. Correctamundo! This band's sound is based on a healthy dose of Maiden and Queensryche, mixed with the speed and big choruses of the German power metal scene. I would've thought these guys were from Germany based strictly on the sound, but after a quick Google search it turns out that they actually were from Australia

I went to TAFE (substitute university/college in Australia) with the drummer in this band. I am soooooooo famous.

You went to a substitute college? Did they employ substitute Teachers? :blink:

Dungeon - A RISE TO POWER (2003)

Got a promotional copy of this disc in a trade. Having never heard of the band before I didn't know quite what to expect but judging from the comic book style cover art (a hairy guy who looks like The Hulk breaking out of shackles) and song titles like "The Prophecy," "Stormchaser" and "Netherlife (Black Roses Die)" I had a feeling I was in for some cheesy Euro-style power metal. Correctamundo! This band's sound is based on a healthy dose of Maiden and Queensryche, mixed with the speed and big choruses of the German power metal scene. I would've thought these guys were from Germany based strictly on the sound, but after a quick Google search it turns out that they actually were from Australia

You went to a substitute college? Did they employ substitute Teachers? :blink:

And what do they do when one is absent, hire a substitute for the substitute?

Def Leppard-X...Good grief were does one start...I don't think there are words that can

describe how bad this band has fallen...I got this at a Rummage Sale and thought..

what the heck..It Sucks plain and simple IMO...I couldn't even get through the whole thing..

Maybe somebody likes it..I don't.

Sunstorm - s/t

Ive been looking forward to hearing this for a long time - always wanted to get it last year but it didnt happen. Being a huge fan of Place Vendome and Khymera i thought this would be great. I was wrong. I dont know if its cos its morning or what... but i was so bored! "Fame and fortune" was an OK sing along... but the rest.. was a real struggle. I really dont have much motivation to listen to it again. Im really struggling with AOR albums like this and Voices of Rock... its just pretty painful at the moment.

Sunstorm - s/t

Ive been looking forward to hearing this for a long time - always wanted to get it last year but it didnt happen. Being a huge fan of Place Vendome and Khymera i thought this would be great. I was wrong. I dont know if its cos its morning or what... but i was so bored! "Fame and fortune" was an OK sing along... but the rest.. was a real struggle. I really dont have much motivation to listen to it again. Im really struggling with AOR albums like this and Voices of Rock... its just pretty painful at the moment.

Wow I really liked that one, but then again JLT could sing about anything and I'd dig it.

Sunstorm - s/t

Wow I really liked that one, but then again JLT could sing about anything and I'd dig it.

Yeah, I love it too. Don't tell him I said this, but Matt clearly has no idea what he's talking about here.

Sunstorm - s/t

Yeah, I love it too. Don't tell him I said this, but Matt clearly has no idea what he's talking about here.

I'll keep it to myself. :whistle:

Sunstorm - s/t

I wont tell him either, i mean afterall, hes a total goose who wouldnt know good music if.... well he listened to it..

Sunstorm - s/t

I wont tell him either, i mean afterall, hes a total goose who wouldnt know good music if.... well he listened to it..

Truth. Let's all beat him up.

Sunstorm - s/t

ive been punching him in the head for years

Sunstorm - s/t

I'd probably step in on his side against you ladies. I thought the Sunstorm was good but massively overrated by most (aside from "Fame & Fortune" & the mighty "Strength Over Time")....

OVERKILL - Immortalis

I've had this sitting around for a week or so only playing the odd track, but this morning I listened to it all the way through. This is an improvement from "ReliXIV" IMO, better production & musicianship, & is a more consistent disc in terms of songwriting also. Though I do think they're still someway short of their best, this is definitely their best effort for some time (also easily eclipsing the likes of "Bloodletting"/"WFO" etc). The opening trio of tunes are awesome, pacy urgent thrash metal with "What It Takes" sounding very similar to "Thanx For Nothin'" from their masterpiece "Horrorscope"

The only serious letdown is the closing track: "Overkill 5" - hopefully the final part of their saga which has well & truly run it's course. An atmospheric tune, but one with no recognisable hook whatsoever. My fave is "Skull & Bones" with the Devil himself (Randy Blythe) duetting, paying homage to a band that influenced his. A really good solid thrash metal CD.

Adair - 'The destruction of everything is the beginning of something new' ; I had this booklet open last night as I read through the lyrics, looked through the book and read it all and I'd hyped it up so much for this morning's drive to work. I thought these guys may be the new Cauterize. They're not. But this isn't bad at all. The songs and lyrics are great, it's all very polished... but there's something absent. IMO, the vocalist and drummer just need some more intensity about them. I just don't sense the passion I feel these songs deserve. Very good album and I look forward to many more spins, but it should have been excellent.

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE-As Daylight Dies. Picked this up for my wife as she

is a big fan of modern music. The Production is top-notch, The guitars are

nice and punchy,lot's of bass and the drums are nicely mixed in to give it a

full powerful sound.The Vox go from Screaming to Melodic and the music is

nicely played. The bad thing is nothing is memorable IMO. I have played it 3

times now and It seems to me to be the same thing over and over. I guess

it is me but I don't see the fuss about this band at all. At times it sounds kinda

like a B grade version of Soilwork,though they don't have the Musical Chops of

the Mighty Soilwork(whom I LOVE) or the songs. Oh well can't win 'em all..

SEETHER-Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces....I picked this one for the wife as

well and well...I hate it...Grunge Rock..ughh. My wife really likes them but

even she thought this was really a piss poor release..

KILLSWITCH ENGAGE-As Daylight Dies.

At times it sounds kinda like a B grade version of Soilwork,though they don't have the Musical Chops of

B-Grade Soilwork? Ah man, we may agree on a lot of things but not here (maybe your wife should be on here? :lol: ) Soilwork are just copycats of bands like Arch Enemy/The Haunted/In Flames etc. KsE may be in a dying genre but they are the ultimate Metal/Hardcore crossover band IMO, & sell a zillion records.

I really like Soilwork, but they're new album is very generic & pretty one-dimensional (the Nuclear Blast All-stars album is better IMO)...

At times it sounds kinda like a B grade version of Soilwork,though they don't have the Musical Chops of

B-Grade Soilwork? Ah man, we may agree on a lot of things but not here (maybe your wife should be on here? :lol: ) Soilwork are just copycats of bands like Arch Enemy/The Haunted/In Flames etc. KsE may be in a dying genre but they are the ultimate Metal/Hardcore crossover band IMO, & sell a zillion records.

I really like Soilwork, but they're new album is very generic & pretty one-dimensional (the Nuclear Blast All-stars album is better IMO)...

Yeah Soilwork's new release is a real let down...and yes they are very influenced By The Haunted, At The Gates,In Flames.. but Arch Enemy(Whom I LOVE) I don't hear that but to each his own.What I meant Is that KsE are using that same formula as the above bands( Heavy/Light,Scream/Melody) but they are leaving out the Incredible Guitar Solos the above bands use to such a great effect. Not to say KsE suck cause they don't, but I 'm missing something..But hey I would have never got it for my wife if I hadn't seen your post..cause she'd hadn't heard of them.. :drink: but I did give it several spins...

Yeah Soilwork's new release is a real let down...and yes they are very influenced By The Haunted, At The Gates,In Flames.. but Arch Enemy(Whom I LOVE) I don't hear that but to each his own.What I meant Is that KsE are using that same formula as the above bands( Heavy/Light,Scream/Melody) but they are leaving out the Incredible Guitar Solos the above bands use to such a great effect. Not to say KsE suck cause they don't, but I 'm missing something..But hey I would have never got it for my wife if I hadn't seen your post..cause she'd hadn't heard of them.. :drink: but I did give it several spins...

If you love older Soilwork definitely get that Nuclear Blast All-stars CD (Peter Wichers, the mastermind behind Soilwork, wrote the songs for some killer vocalists to sing). If your wife likes the KsE disc then get her to check out their previous couple of albums. This bands have one of the strongest album catalogues in Metal IMO. But I can understand you not really liking them, theyre kinda more Hardcore than Metal...

Incidentally I saw both Soilwork & KsE on the same bill (in support of their "Natural Born Chaos" album) a few years back & KsE absolutely blew them off stage IMHO. That was how I got into both bands....

Hey Eric, if you don't mind me asking; how old is your wife? Sorry to ask, but I just cannot picture this. I thought these screamo bands were just for the emo kids and some metalheads out there. I just keep picturing my lovely wife listening to a band like Killswitch Engage, alongside her Black Eyed Peas and Pussycat Dolls CDs and it just doesn't work. :lol: I'm intrigued by your situation.

Hey Eric, if you don't mind me asking; how old is your wife? Sorry to ask, but I just cannot picture this. I thought these screamo bands were just for the emo kids and some metalheads out there. I just keep picturing my lovely wife listening to a band like Killswitch Engage, alongside her Black Eyed Peas and Pussycat Dolls CDs and it just doesn't work. :lol: I'm intrigued by your situation.

Basically Geoff's just asking if she has any single friends, into the same music.

Basically Geoff's just asking if she has any single friends, into the same music.

he'd prefer if they were emo also...

age doesnt matter, but about 14 or 15 is suitable ..

he'd prefer if they were emo also...

age doesnt matter, but about 14 or 15 is suitable ..

Truth. Don't hate me for loving.