First Spin Impressions

JustJason

ENDEVERAFTER: "Kiss or Kill"

This band garnered lots of attention from hair-metal fans earlier this year when their nudity-drenched, girl-on-girl action video for "Baby Baby Baby" showcased an oldschool sound that owed more than a little to early Poison, albeit with the bigger production sound available to today's bands. Having now heard the entire album, I can safely attest to the fact that this is some killer 80s-style pop-metal/hard rock. Rockin' guitars, catchy hooks, pounding drums, sing-along choruses, "naughty" lyrics, gang vocals...it's all here.

I've said it on other threads and now I'm saying it here: this album f'ckin' rawks. :headbanger:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SPill Canvas - 'No really, I'm fine' ; I've always considered these guys quite a special band. Really personal, beautiful lyrics... the first 2 albums are mostly acoustic. This is their first full electric album, and okay, so they sound like a dozen other bands in this genre... but do they do it well? Hell yes. This is a really good fan and though it's not going to convert modern rock haters it will sure as hell please the modern rock lovers. Love the lyrics. Great stuff.

Ingram Hill - 'June's picture show' ; got it for $1 today, expected some shitty Sister Hazel/Antheneaum type mellow band... but this is good. It is pretty mellow, but great catchy melodic choruses. This band really got my interest well and truly captured. Nice stuff.

Innuendo - 'Three' ; good indie hard rock. Thanks to Rob for getting me into this. A few fillers and definitely a mid-90's "sound" but I like where this was going. Cool stuff.

Waking Ashland - 'The Well' ; what the f*ck happened to these guys?? This was total shit. I consider these guys crossed off my modern rock radar completely. Shame, 'cause the debut was pretty cool.

Steve Perry-Greatest Hits

The radio station we have to listen to at work plays 'Oh Sherrie' and 'Foolish Heart' at least once a day so both of those songs have been in my head for the last few months. So when I saw this cd still sealed in a local pawn shop for $3 I said why not. Well after listening to the entire cd, or I should say skipping through the entire cd, I have decided that this cd sucks real bad. Sure the first two songs are great but the rest is filler without a doubt. Inside the booklet it says that Steve's 2nd album wasn't ever released and I believe tracks 6 through 12 represent that unreleased album, and after hearing those tracks there's a reason that album wasn't released. That reason is because the songs are horrible. This isn't AOR/80's Rock, this is Adult Contemporary. :puke:

Mad Margritt - 'Animal' ; Very cool hard rock release. 'Don't say a word' and 'I don't think I love you' are great commercial gems... but zomfg! Wait until you hear 'Ruling me'!! What a surprise... sensational song. Another solid effort from these guys. Only 7 songs though. :(

FABER DRIVE - Seven Second Surgery

Got this at the beginning of the week & hadn't really had chance to play it all through until now. This is SENSATIONAL. It's pure Melodic heaven, & even on first listen these choruses grab you. In fact it's sooo lush & melodic they kinda sound a bit boy-band on occasions ("When I'm With You" especially), but they are such brilliant songwriters you can forgive it. "Sleepless Nights" & "Second Chance" are just 2 of the best tunes of the year, no question, with new single "Tongue Tied" not far behind. This has been an awesome year for pop/rock & this album pretty much tops them all. If you've been disappointed with the AOR/MHR scene these past few years find some solace here. Killer.

Got this at the beginning of the week & hadn't really had chance to play it all through until now. This is SENSATIONAL. It's pure Melodic heaven, & even on first listen these choruses grab you. In fact it's sooo lush & melodic they kinda sound a bit boy-band on occasions ("When I'm With You" especially), but they are such brilliant songwriters you can forgive it. "Sleepless Nights" & "Second Chance" are just 2 of the best tunes of the year, no question, with new single "Tongue Tied" not far behind. This has been an awesome year for pop/rock & this album pretty much tops them all. If you've been disappointed with the AOR/MHR scene these past few years find some solace here. Killer.

What's amazing to me is that these kids are pretty much writing the quality of song that outside writers like Desmond Child or Jeff Paris used to be brought in for "back in the day". And they're killing pretty much anything the likes of Jack Ponti ever came up with. :)

What's amazing to me is that these kids are pretty much writing the quality of song that outside writers like Desmond Child or Jeff Paris used to be brought in for "back in the day". And they're killing pretty much anything the likes of Jack Ponti ever came up with. :)

Right - seeing as you two highly recommend this (a first for me when it comes to Recommendations from Emu Ginger Geoff, as he is normally way off the mark :P, but seeing as TIM is in on it as well!!) ) I have taken a shot on it (only cost me £3) This better be good guys!!!

Right - seeing as you two highly recommend this (a first for me when it comes to Recommendations from Emu Ginger Geoff, as he is normally way off the mark :P, but seeing as TIM is in on it as well!!) ) I have taken a shot on it (only cost me £3) This better be good guys!!!

If sinning were an art you'd be... well, I guess you'd be an artist. Tim and I agree on heaps of stuff! I'm not sure you'll like this one too be honest, mate. Though they must be doing something right because they've even managed to impress a few non-modern rock likers here. I still personally think A Change of Pace are better... but hey, that's just me. :)

If sinning were an art you'd be... well, I guess you'd be an artist. Tim and I agree on heaps of stuff! I'm not sure you'll like this one too be honest, mate. Though they must be doing something right because they've even managed to impress a few non-modern rock likers here. I still personally think A Change of Pace are better... but hey, that's just me. :)

I will let you know in due course when it arrives. It will probably be Shite, but who knows, I am open minded and awaiting to be highly impressed!!

I will let you know in due course when it arrives. It will probably be Shite, but who knows, I am open minded and awaiting to be highly impressed!!

Have you heard the samples? To be honest I didn't think you even bothered with this kind of stuff at all.

Northern Kinds - reborn

some sort of Scandinavian power metal supergroup covers album with Nightwish, Sonata Artica members. A big issue is straight away "covers". They bore me, i hate them mostly. However here they totally turn them into well thought out high quality power metal anthems with big classical orchestras supporting. Def for fans of recent Nightwish. The highlights are Journey - DOnt stop believing, Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms, and somehow that annoying Hello song from that annoying guy sounds great. Unfortunately lots of annoying songs. A studio album might be cool, but doubt thatd happen.

Have you heard the samples? To be honest I didn't think you even bothered with this kind of stuff at all.

I don't normally, as all these bands sound the same to me ie. Not great in two words. I do own a few what you might class as 'Modern Rock' type bands that I do like - Vonray from a while back, Waltham, Ra, and a great band called Big Dismal (Geoff - do ya know this bunch and their 'Believe' disc??). So being the lovely bloke I am & taking interest in what everybody else is listening too, i thought I would take a half chance on this, seeing as it was soo cheap. I like to check out what all the fuss is about generally, and usually for me, there isn't a lot of fuss to be honest. It will probably be Crap, but can always off load it onto some other poor soul if need be.

I don't normally, as all these bands sound the same to me ie. Not great in two words. I do own a few what you might class as 'Modern Rock' type bands that I do like - Vonray from a while back, Waltham, Ra, and a great band called Big Dismal (Geoff - do ya know this bunch and their 'Believe' disc??). So being the lovely bloke I am & taking interest in what everybody else is listening too, i thought I would take a half chance on this, seeing as it was soo cheap. I like to check out what all the fuss is about generally, and usually for me, there isn't a lot of fuss to be honest. It will probably be Crap, but can always off load it onto some other poor soul if need be.

I can't believe you wouldn't like it. Or 3 or 4 songs at the absolute minimum. This is as commercial/melodic a modern band I've heard in a long time, & I disagree with Geoff that A Change of Pace are better as I find them more formulaic. This is way more like a mix of AOR/MHR & Modern pop/rock, & it's infinitely more melodic than Modern Rock bands like RA/VONRAY. It's a little like WALTHAM but more melodic still, & it massacres that "Permission To Build" album IMHO.

They are a little too sickly-sweet if anything, but I don't have a problem with that at all. To be honest this type of material doesn't have a ton of longevity, as you tend to play it loads initially, but this is a great CD.

I can't believe you wouldn't like it. Or 3 or 4 songs at the absolute minimum. This is as commercial/melodic a modern band I've heard in a long time, & I disagree with Geoff that A Change of Pace are better as I find them more formulaic. This is way more like a mix of AOR/MHR & Modern pop/rock, & it's infinitely more melodic than Modern Rock bands like RA/VONRAY. It's a little like WALTHAM but more melodic still, & it massacres that "Permission To Build" album IMHO.

They are a little too sickly-sweet if anything, but I don't have a problem with that at all. To be honest this type of material doesn't have a ton of longevity, as you tend to play it loads initially, but this is a great CD.

"Second Chance" sounds pretty good on first listen... the others on their myspace didnt do much for me...

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Scream, Aim, Fire

This one's not out until February 2008 but I got all the demos that will make up the album. Raw sound quality aside (Colin Richardson - Machine Head - is producing this, so it will sound fucking huge) this is a very strong set of tunes. Slightly less screaming than on "Poison" but a definitely heavier approach that reminds me of AS I LAY DYING a lot. The noticeable difference though is the better songwriting. The raging Metalcore of the title-track is an obvious highlight, but the more commercial numbers are still in evidence - just with more crunch to the guitar.

Do they have the killer chops of bands like KILLSWITCH ENGAGE/AS I LAY DYING? Nope. But is it better than "Poison"? Yes, by a longshot. Excellent stuff.

BULLET FOR MY VALENTINE - Scream, Aim, Fire

This one's not out until February 2008 but I got all the demos that will make up the album. Raw sound quality aside (Colin Richardson - Machine Head - is producing this, so it will sound fucking huge) this is a very strong set of tunes. Slightly less screaming than on "Poison" but a definitely heavier approach that reminds me of AS I LAY DYING a lot. The noticeable difference though is the better songwriting. The raging Metalcore of the title-track is an obvious highlight, but the more commercial numbers are still in evidence - just with more crunch to the guitar.

Do they have the killer chops of bands like KILLSWITCH ENGAGE/AS I LAY DYING? Nope. But is it better than "Poison"? Yes, by a longshot. Excellent stuff.

Nice score, mate. Looking forward to this one a lot. A lot better than 'The Poison'??? Wow... my erection reacted well to that!

Celafain Vain - s/t ; Wow, what a surprise for an Aussie band! These guys reminded me of a mix between Star Star and PBF at times. A few fast-paced punk/glam type numbers, but some great glam rock songs on here too. I thought there was a direct rip-off of PBF's '48 hours' on here - something about a girl climbing on top so he could come inside (yes, the lyrics are very, very discreet lol) but overall this was a cool glam rock album.

Tarja - My Winter Storm

Thought I would mention this one, as a few people have PM'd me asking if this is any good and comparable with the new mega Nightwish release. Well - After a few spins of this I don't know what to think at the moment. There is a lot of stuff to get through on here (21 tracks on the Deluxe version, as well as the DVD) and my initial reaction was not exactly positive. It sounds great, Tarja sounds great, but some of the songs are distinctly lacking in being memorable (except maybe the cover of Alice Cooper's Poison which is pretty dreadful it has to be said). This is very Dramatic, almost like Film score stuff in places, which after reading a few interviews, is the sound she was after, so the general ambience of the disc shines through, rather than some of the songs. Some of the slower, lighter moments are very nice indeed, but it just lacks a bit of overall power and general balls compared to the new Nightwish. I will continue with this one, as I said, there is a lot of stuff on here to get through , and it certainly isn't a one or two listen disc, so deserves a bit of time being spent with it, but my initial reaction is that the new Nightwish slays this big time.

Tarja - My Winter Storm

so she deserves a bit of time being spent with

Go Jez!

Bit of time mate? I'd give her more than that. :whistle:

Tarja - My Winter Storm

so she deserves a bit of time being spent with

Go Jez!

Bit of time mate? I'd give her more than that. :whistle:

a stern talking to regarding the difference between a not so good album and a Nightwish album?

..Whilst putting her over my knee!!! Exactly.

Faber Drive - Seven Second Surgery

Hmmm - Just As I expected it to be, Been there, done that, worn the T-Shirt. A couple of nice tunes, but I have heard all this stuff soo many times before to the point of Saturation and this doesn't really stand out as anything great to be honest and re-affirms why I generally don't touch this sort of stuff with a barge pole. One point I will add is that comparing the quality of songwriting here to Desmond Child and Jeff Paris's made me laugh quite a lot (with reason) but I will let that one go - each to their own I suppose. Some of these tunes are bordering on Busted territory, which is a crime in itself IMHO, although to give it a little credit, I was tapping my foot to 2 or 3,(Sleepless Nights and Tongue Tied) and the overall sound of the disc is quite well done, but really, a little bit more than foot tapping is required when I listen to stuff. Oh well, it was over in a relatively short 35 minutes, and I was pre-warned that I probably wouldn't like this much, so nothing lost nothing gained. Thought i'd give it a go to see what the fuss was about - The missus likes this sort of stuff, so will take it off my hands I am sure.

Hmmm - Just As I expected it to be, Been there, done that, worn the T-Shirt. A couple of nice tunes, but I have heard all this stuff soo many times before to the point of Saturation and this doesn't really stand out as anything great to be honest and re-affirms why I generally don't touch this sort of stuff with a barge pole. One point I will add is that comparing the quality of songwriting here to Desmond Child and Jeff Paris's made me laugh quite a lot (with reason) but I will let that one go - each to their own I suppose. Some of these tunes are bordering on Busted territory, which is a crime in itself IMHO, although to give it a little credit, I was tapping my foot to 2 or 3,(Sleepless Nights and Tongue Tied) and the overall sound of the disc is quite well done, but really, a little bit more than foot tapping is required when I listen to stuff. Oh well, it was over in a relatively short 35 minutes, and I was pre-warned that I probably wouldn't like this much, so nothing lost nothing gained. Thought i'd give it a go to see what the fuss was about - The missus likes this sort of stuff, so will take it off my hands I am sure.

:agree:

Not many stand out releases in the modern rock genre this year im afraid.

Certainly nothing even close to the brilliance of Papa Roach, Bulletproof or Skillet from 06!

Cheers

Yeah you do kinda have to accept that this stuff is written by/for teenage kids, but I think this is a very consistent disc. I thought you might like "Second Chance" especially, killer chorus?