First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Thanks bro, 24 track analog baby... the only way to fly!

The guitars were done with my old 100W Carvin head through a Marshall slant 4x12 cab and with a ProCo Rat pedal. Don't get much more homegrown that that. :woot:

Thanks again man, I hope it continues to satisfy after further listens. :drink:

Oh yeah, the last song is indeed called "Fly" as you suspected. :)

I was gonna pick you brain bout what you were playing through....

Those old carvins were great..My Brother inlaw played one for years and it smoked!!!

Had such a unique tone and TONS of Gain!!! I had a Pro co rat for years...man what a

pedal...sadly it conked out a few years ago...I'm assuming the guitar was the Charvel?

I noticed on a few of the leads that they are doubled..Cool.... :beerbang:

What kinda picks ya using...

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Catastrophic - PATHOLOGY OF MURDER

The back of this promo CD claims this is DEATH CORE, baby. Dunno where the "core" comes in cuz this sounds like typical death metal crap to me. Ultra-fast drumming, inaudible guitars, WOOOOOARRRRGH vocals, yadda yadda yadda. Whoa, this sucks. Did Detritus 'zine send me this one as a practical joke, or have I offended them somehow? :blink:

The guitars were done with my old 100W Carvin head through a Marshall slant 4x12 cab and with a ProCo Rat pedal. Don't get much more homegrown that that. :woot:

Those old carvins were great..My Brother inlaw played one for years and it smoked!!!

Had such a unique tone and TONS of Gain!!! I had a Pro co rat for years...man what a

pedal...sadly it conked out a few years ago...I'm assuming the guitar was the Charvel?

I think I only used the Charvel for some of the rhythm tracks. I was having trouble with the bridge pickup at that time, so the red Hamer took over. The Rat is a mean pedal, I'm actually on my third or fourth one! Picks, I'm boring as hell, I just use straight up regular old Fender heavy's. I've tried vinyl, copper, etc. but nothing seems to do the trick for me better than the plastic ones. I buy 'em by the gross. :)

I think I only used the Charvel for some of the rhythm tracks. I was having trouble with the bridge pickup at that time, so the red Hamer took over. The Rat is a mean pedal, I'm actually on my third or fourth one! Picks, I'm boring as hell, I just use straight up regular old Fender heavy's. I've tried vinyl, copper, etc. but nothing seems to do the trick for me better than the plastic ones. I buy 'em by the gross. :)

Yeah The Fender heavy's are great...a buddy of mine turned me on to Clayton Picks

and I really like those...kinda like the fenders but they don't seem to wear out.

The Rat Is a great Pedal....I had and Old Ibanez tube screamer that was great..

till someone stole it...#$@##%@^...

Yeah The Fender heavy's are great...a buddy of mine turned me on to Clayton Picks

and I really like those...kinda like the fenders but they don't seem to wear out.

I remember those, weren't they green? I had the "Heavy Metal" pedal from Ibanez or something, it was like an over the top tube screamer and it was blue I think. I played it through a 40W Peavey 1x12 combo. My sound was so gratingly high end back then it was a little scary.... :anon: Plus I played one of those Ibanez X guitars... man that thing was cool, wish I still had it... :(

It's the red one in the middle with the red fretboard... man that guitar had some visual appeal....

p22.jpg

I remember those, weren't they green? I had the "Heavy Metal" pedal from Ibanez or something, it was like an over the top tube screamer and it was blue I think. I played it through a 40W Peavey 1x12 combo. My sound was so gratingly high end back then it was a little scary.... :anon: Plus I played one of those Ibanez X guitars... man that thing was cool, wish I still had it... :(

It's the red one in the middle with the red fretboard... man that guitar had some visual appeal....

p22.jpg

Yeah The tube screamer is Green...an original(like I had) were going for $$$$ a

few years ago...they were pretty nice sounding but nothing like the Rat pedal..

which is killer IMO..I had an American Metal pedal from DOD that was really good too..

Damn red x I'll have to check the pic out when I get home.. :banger:

p22.jpg

which is killer IMO..I had an American Metal pedal from DOD that was really good too..

:lol: "Damn red x" that'll be extra funny when you see the picture... :beerbang:

p22.jpg

:lol: "Damn red x" that'll be extra funny when you see the picture... :beerbang:

If it's like the one I'm thinking about(like Akira Takasaki from Loudness plays)

that would be weird...I had a Hohner SR Heavy guitar that was shaped like Akira's

it was a killer guitar from a cheap guitar company..some guy had it special ordered

and never picked it up so I got a deal on it and it was a really good guitar for the $.

It never went out of tune , had INCREDIBLE Action , great pick ups and tone

and a Kahler Whammy bar... the only draw back was it was red with a spiderweb on

the front... I wish I still had it..

Shy Tiger - Feed the Kitty

This is one excellent melodic hard rock cd. It's almost as if Stevie Rachelle was singing for Firehouse with a hint of Hardline. There's not one hint of filler on this thing. Great Melodic Hard Rockers like "Will you be there", "Believe in you", "Young and Only" and "I'll never forget you". Awesome hard rocking tunes like "Hearts on Fire" and "Desperate" and the hilarious "Drink until she's Cute". Also there's one hell of a ballad in "Lay Down and Cry". All in all one of the more kick ass unknown cds that I've heard in some time. This band should of been huge.

Backed and backed over again. One of my all-time favourite CDs. One of my most treasured, too.

Ahhhrrrr, I need to hear this - like now!

Its so seldom that a title comes up that I havent heard and really interests me.

Cheers

Earthless-Rhythms From a Cosmic Sky. Man these San Fran freaks know how to Jam!!

3 songs, the first called "Godspeed" is 20 min of Pure Guitar Wankery 70's style..

no lyrics at all...but you would never know cause you( at least ME I should say)

gets SO caught in the "SOLO" that it doesn't Matter...The 2 Song "Sonic Prayer" is the same thing only slightly longer..The 3rd song is " Cherry Red" and there are vocals... good ones too...it felt weird though cause it's only 4min...to me they sound like a cross between

(guitar wise) Tommy Bolin + Frank Marino and Uli Jon Roth...Rhythm Wise it's a cross between Early Rush and The Experience..Really GOOD STUFF!!

Angels and Airwaves - 'I-Empire' ; I never even knew this got released... but it did and it's pretty damn good. I only heard it this morning, as I was reading but I have to say from what I heard this might be better than the debut. A couple more great tracks. Pretty samey, though.

Bullet for my Valentine - 'Scream aim fire' ; Again, haven't heard it properly, but I like what I've heard. 'Hearts burst into fire' is brilliant and the rest seems to be good, spirited metal in the style of the debut. Except much less screaming, which is always a very, very good thing.

Onerepublic - 'Dreaming Out Loud' ; Great, very melodic album. As I said elsewhere, it fades off a bit at the end with ballad overkill, but there is some great stuff early on in this album. If you're after a sweet, melodic modern rock album with nice hooks and a mellow vibe, check it out.

Angels and Airwaves - 'I-Empire' ; I never even knew this got released... but it did and it's pretty damn good. I only heard it this morning, as I was reading but I have to say from what I heard this might be better than the debut. A couple more great tracks. Pretty samey, though.

Bullet for my Valentine - 'Scream aim fire' ; Again, haven't heard it properly, but I like what I've heard. 'Hearts burst into fire' is brilliant and the rest seems to be good, spirited metal in the style of the debut. Except much less screaming, which is always a very, very good thing.

Yeah I picked up the Angels + Airwaves, is better than the first album & does have some great tracks. It all sounds a bit watered-down to me & youre right it's samey, but if youre in the right mood it's a good disc.

That Bullet... disc is flying off the shelves over here, is very high in our charts. As much as I criticise them for their complete lack of technical ability, I do wish any Metal band luck in terms of album sales. Even if it isn't really 'Metal'.... :whistle:

Work Of Art - Artwork

I Have been looking forward to this one (as have a few others here at HH) ever since I heard the excellent 3 track demo from earlier last year, and now (thanx to a cheeky pre-listen) the CD proper is here (well on the 25th Feb Anyways). This really is very very good, and the AOR Boys and Girls are gonna go ape over this, as it is one of the best Pure AOR discs I have heard in a long long time. From the off though, they are so like Toto in places it is unreal (not a problem at all in my book as Toto are my all time fave band in this genre), even down to some of the Keyboard sounds and especially the song arrangements, so, Toto haters beware. 'Carmelia' sounds like a complete lift from 'The Seventh One' it is that close. Quite a few of the others tracks featured here could have come from either 'Isolation', 'Fahrenheit' or 'The Seventh One' they are that close at times.

OK the guitarist ain't no Luke, but he does a damn fine job all the same and the vocalist, whilst not quite in Bobby Kimballs shoes, does a very fine job aswell and the production on this is quite superb throughout.

Not criticising this at all, and massive Credit where it is due, as they do this AOR style fantastically well. The AOR benchmark has been set by this and I very much doubt this will be beaten by the end of the year

Khymera - 'The greatest wonder' ; Excellent, excellent excellent! As good as, if not possibly better than the last album. 4 killer tracks to start the album off, and a bunch to close out the album with a number of delights inbetween. This sounded like a really great CD. Continues right where 'A new promise' left off.

Backstreet Girls - 'Tuff, tuff, tuff' ; Absolute shit. "Bar-room" hard rock which should never have seen the inside of a recording studio, imo.

BillyLee Janey - Soul Driver CD. The legendary Truth and Janey and Iowa Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame guitarist, BillyLee Janey, is back with his latest smokin' guitar driven blues rock album. Soul Driver, a crossover between blues and hard rock, marks Billy's return to the heavier Gibson/Marshall sound after 25 years as a Fender bluesman. This is a String Busting, fret melting guitar explosion...

Billylee (I hate how his name sounds Country) is a cross between Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani and Stevie Ray Vaughn..He has an amazing set of chops that he uses but doesn't flaunt..His vox are probably the week spot here but their not bad..The songs are all great Faves being Burning You Outta My Soul,The Funky Cool Pop the Top

and Mankiller which quotes Tommy Bolins Guitar work in Billy Cobham's Spectrum..

A Great Release...IMO

The Donnas - SPEND THE NIGHT

I have been interested in checking these gals out for a while now but finally sought out this CD after watching a few of their videos on YouTube. Nothing to tax one's brain here, this is plain and simple party-hearty hard rock done the right way. Take equal parts of Bon Scott era AC/DC, 1970s KISS, and a touch of the Ramones, blare 'em through a stack of Marshalls played by some cute chicks, and you've got the Donnas. I think I'm in love with all four of 'em. :wub:

I have been interested in checking these gals out for a while now but finally sought out this CD after watching a few of their videos on YouTube. Nothing to tax one's brain here, this is plain and simple party-hearty hard rock done the right way. Take equal parts of Bon Scott era AC/DC, 1970s KISS, and a touch of the Ramones, blare 'em through a stack of Marshalls played by some cute chicks, and you've got the Donnas. I think I'm in love with all four of 'em. :wub:

Backed... not beautiful, but hot... :beerbang:

Backed - I have this one and it is definately one of those 'get the tennis racket out and jump around the room' kind of discs. Dumb, but ultimately great fun. Shame the follow up was not a patch on this, as they watered down their sound somewhat.

it is definately one of those 'get the tennis racket out and jump around the room' kind of discs.

You do that too huh? I thought I was the only one. :lol:

it is definately one of those 'get the tennis racket out and jump around the room' kind of discs.

You do that too huh? I thought I was the only one. :lol:

Oh shit - Errrr not me no!! - I mean't A friend I know. :whistle:

Backed - I have this one and it is definately one of those 'get the tennis racket out and jump around the room' kind of discs. Dumb, but ultimately great fun. Shame the follow up was not a patch on this, as they watered down their sound somewhat.

Backed...this is a good time, fun loving party record..and their Best IMO... :beerbang:

Metal Church-Human Factor

Thanks to Keef for the hookup on this one. I'm very impressed with this disc so far and I think I dig the singer on this one over the original guy. Fav songs so far are 'Date with Poverty', 'Human Factor' and the awesome 'In Harms Way'. :headbanger:

Thanks to Keef for the hookup on this one. I'm very impressed with this disc so far and I think I dig the singer on this one over the original guy. Fav songs so far are 'Date with Poverty', 'Human Factor' and the awesome 'In Harms Way'. :headbanger:

Glad yer diggin' it bro. Ya gotta love "Agent Green" too. "I hold the keyyyyy... to the world's security..."

Glad yer diggin' it bro. Ya gotta love "Agent Green" too. "I hold the keyyyyy... to the world's security..."

I'm digging their 'Blessing in Disguise' disc too.

I'm digging their 'Blessing in Disguise' disc too.

"Blessing in Disguise" is my 2nd fave M.C. disc (right behind the debut)... my fave tracks on that one are "Fake Healer," "Badlands," and "Anthem To The Estranged"....:beerbang: