First Spin Impressions

JustJason

SHY - UNFINISHED BUSINESS

Had this for ages without listening to it, so put it on yesterday for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised. 'Change of Direction' is an incredible song and isn't the only one. Described as AOR/Melodic Rock by users on HH, I would say it was more the latter category, but I'm no expert. Love it.

THE HEAT - UNTOLD STORY VOL 1

Some nice, well written AOR songs on this one, but I suspect the songs aren't as good as those on Vol 2. Very soft at times and there are a few fillers, but not bad.

KINGDOM COME - BAD IMAGE

Another one from the "might sell" pile that I'll be keeping. Really nice tunes 'You're The One' possibly the early favourite. Not all immediate songs, which probably means they won't get boring in a hurry.

WETTON-DOWNES - ICON II - RUBICON

Starts off so well, with 3 great songs and 1 good one. Then I'm left wondering, "What are you playing at guys?" as the quality and heaviness nosedives massively. The rest of the album is extremely soft, which isn't necesarily a bad thing of itself, but the songs seem really bland as well (with the possible exception of 'Whirlpool', which is a fairly decent tune). Clearly an album of 2 halves.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had this for ages without listening to it, so put it on yesterday for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised. 'Change of Direction' is an incredible song and isn't the only one. Described as AOR/Melodic Rock by users on HH, I would say it was more the latter category, but I'm no expert. Love it.

V.good, underrated disc IMO.

the new album is excellent too :-))

OK, reality check time in terms of what Nightrain recently wrote (warning : I usually dont post in this thread as my first spin impression is usually wildly wrong, but here goes) -

Grand Illusion - Prince Of Paupers

Ive never warmed to Grand Illusion - as NT said most of their releases are riddled with filler and having seen them live they cant cut it in that arena either :-( This new album is a difficult one. On paper I should love it, untempo melodic (almost pomp)rock with big harmonies and choruses.....but for some reason this just isnt happening for me?? I think my problem mainly lies with the vocalist....when singing softly his vocals are heavily accented (which bother me) and singing loudly it sounds (too often) like he's screaming, which is really annoying after a while. Also some of the lyrical content is too sticky sweet for my tastes..like 'believe in miracles' for example. What I will say is that the musicianship is second to none, esp the guitar solos...and where they do get it 'right' the results are pretty awesome - like on 'Through This War' and 'Gone'...unfortunately I just cant see myself spinning this very often.

White Widdow - Serenade

I think most people have heard at least half this album on you tube, so we all know what to expect. This is very good....big 80s styled anthems. My question is this - how is this that much different to the debut? Everyone ive seen who has reviewed this has said it is miles better than the debut?? OK, the production is miles better - bigger, boldly, more harmonies - not surprising given who produced it, but the songs?? Pretty much on a par for me, with maybe the exception of one or two obvious stand out killer tunes like 'Cry Wolf' (very debut Heavens Edge) and 'How Far I Run'. Pretty essential purchase though.

Vain - Enough Rope

The jury is still out on whether these songs are new or old songs pre debut or in alliance with Adler. Its pretty much being packaged as a new album and on first/second listen this is on a par with the debut in terms of song style. Bags of attitude, great rocking tunes, excellent guitar solos and a couple of pretty cool ballads. Theyve also thrown in a couple of old classics like 'Cindy', which sound amazing. Basically for any fan of Vain this is essential listening. In a year devoid of the 'newer' big guns like HS, Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx this is about as good as its going to get sleaze/glam wise.

Really?

Oh yeah ... from one of my favourite sites (seaoftranquility.org):

Put quite simply Shy is the melodic rock highlight of the year so far and when you consider the standard of what has come before in 2011, I don't make that assertion lightly.

:omg:

Probably not underrated but maybe relatively unknown, because most of the times people get to hear this, the comments are all positive.

And personally it's a five-stars for me, but if i'm not mistaken, though it's a 2002 release, most of the songs were written way back in the late 80s, probably only 1 or 2 songs are newly written.

OK, reality check time in terms of what Nightrain recently wrote (warning : I usually dont post in this thread as my first spin impression is usually wildly wrong, but here goes) -

Ive never warmed to Grand Illusion - as NT said most of their releases are riddled with filler and having seen them live they cant cut it in that arena either :-( This new album is a difficult one. On paper I should love it, untempo melodic (almost pomp)rock with big harmonies and choruses.....but for some reason this just isnt happening for me?? I think my problem mainly lies with the vocalist....when singing softly his vocals are heavily accented (which bother me) and singing loudly it sounds (too often) like he's screaming, which is really annoying after a while. Also some of the lyrical content is too sticky sweet for my tastes..like 'believe in miracles' for example. What I will say is that the musicianship is second to none, esp the guitar solos...and where they do get it 'right' the results are pretty awesome - like on 'Through This War' and 'Gone'...unfortunately I just cant see myself spinning this very often.

yes, I've heard some screaming throughout the songs, but on the contrary, i like it, it gives em that metallic edge which is a good thing for me

and I don't think i'm hearing an annoying accent so guess pretty okay with it too, and also lyric isn't very important for me, so in terms of the music, all the tracks are basically well done and enjoyable, so i don't think an 85% is too much, probably couple of more spins and it's getting better for you

White Widdow - Serenade

I think most people have heard at least half this album on you tube, so we all know what to expect. This is very good....big 80s styled anthems. My question is this - how is this that much different to the debut? Everyone ive seen who has reviewed this has said it is miles better than the debut?? OK, the production is miles better - bigger, boldly, more harmonies - not surprising given who produced it, but the songs?? Pretty much on a par for me, with maybe the exception of one or two obvious stand out killer tunes like 'Cry Wolf' (very debut Heavens Edge) and 'How Far I Run'. Pretty essential purchase though.

I rated couple of songs with 9 or 10 in their debut, but most of the songs are scattered with an 7.5 - 8.5. As with 'Serenade', it's totally on the flip side, most of em are 9 or 10, so overall a better release for me with a 10-15% difference margin. But based on the style, i agree it's very similar, in fact, if you're just listening to the whole songs randomly while driving, you'll get the feeling that all of em belong to the same album.

Never know how it goes after couple of spins, but definitely a must-buy for 80s AOR fans.

This is one of my fave bands in the genre so I buy their stuff blind. Latterly they tend to write 2 or 3 killer songs then stacks of filler, but I love the harmonies on even the weaker songs. Frankly am not surprised their hopeless live as their harmonies are layered so much, but am looking forward to this one (much more than WW)...

Really?

Put quite simply Shy is the melodic rock highlight of the year so far and when you consider the standard of what has come before in 2011, I don't make that assertion lightly.

Holy shit...I had no idea they had a new CD out...how did I miss this... :yikes:

Really?

Holy shit...I had no idea they had a new CD out...how did I miss this... :yikes:

Not out just yet......it is pretty awesome tho :-))

White Widdow - Serenade

Vain - Enough Rope

The jury is still out on whether these songs are new or old songs pre debut or in alliance with Adler. Its pretty much being packaged as a new album and on first/second listen this is on a par with the debut in terms of song style. Bags of attitude, great rocking tunes, excellent guitar solos and a couple of pretty cool ballads. Theyve also thrown in a couple of old classics like 'Cindy', which sound amazing. Basically for any fan of Vain this is essential listening. In a year devoid of the 'newer' big guns like HS, Crashdiet and Crazy Lixx this is about as good as its going to get sleaze/glam wise.

I haven't heard anything of the new White Widdow except the first 2 samples people posted way back - waiting till I have the hard copy in my hands. But even with that said, mate, I already 100% agree with your take on how many clowns are out there. I'm pretty sure it's also going to be every bit as good as the debut, except maybe, by the sounds of it, a touch better. Which is fair enough to prefer the new to debut. But I can't understand the clowns who apparently hated the debut so much now suddenly love the sound of the new one, even if the band haven't really done anything that different to the debut. And I mean that in a good way, considering I LOVED the debut and I'd be happy for 10 more albums from the band just like it. :) Anyway, people. What do you do with them?

Mate, you have me completely salivating over this new Vain CD. Plenty of great CDs have come out this year and some more due, but if you're right and this new Vain one is on par with the first 2 Vain albums, well I honestly can't think of an album that excites me more this year.

SHY - s/t (2011)

if you ever have any doubt how Shy will prevail post Mills, well don't be, because their latest disc is pretty much still very good in terms of songwriting and of course the new singer's performance. The vocal isn't as mountain-peak as Mills/Harnell style and instead the singing style is in pretty normal range.

I spotted some volatility in their songs, found at least 4 excellent tracks here : 'Land of Thousand Lies', 'Pray', 'Only For The Night', and 'Over You'. Several other great tracks are 'So Many Tears', 'Live For Me', and 'Save Me', but for me, 'Breathe', 'Blood On The Line', 'Sanctuary', and 'Union of Souls' are pretty average.

A fine disc on the first spin and probably get an 80% from me.

SHY - s/t (2011)

if you ever have any doubt how Shy will prevail post Mills, well don't be, because their latest disc is pretty much still very good in terms of songwriting and of course the new singer's performance. The vocal isn't as mountain-peak as Mills/Harnell style and instead the singing style is in pretty normal range.

I spotted some volatility in their songs, found at least 4 excellent tracks here : 'Land of Thousand Lies', 'Pray', 'Only For The Night', and 'Over You'. Several other great tracks are 'So Many Tears', 'Live For Me', and 'Save Me', but for me, 'Breathe', 'Blood On The Line', 'Sanctuary', and 'Union of Souls' are pretty average.

Wow, I didn't actually know Mills was not involved. Funnily enough, as much as I dislike him as a vocalist, this band is, imo, his one true place - the only time I can enjoy his vocals without wishing it was someone else. I'm excited that there is another vocalist to be honest, but I also wonder now how much this will sound like a "real" Shy album?

SHY - s/t (2011)

Wow, I didn't actually know Mills was not involved. Funnily enough, as much as I dislike him as a vocalist, this band is, imo, his one true place - the only time I can enjoy his vocals without wishing it was someone else. I'm excited that there is another vocalist to be honest, but I also wonder now how much this will sound like a "real" Shy album?

Apparently the new singer is Lee Small, from the band Surveillance, have you heard him before ?

hm not very sure if this is comparable to their classic era, sure like TNT, the band evolved, but in here, i do think they still maintain the slick melodic rock feel with 3-4 AOR-type of songs, even song like 'Live For Me' reminds me to Journey's 'Separate Ways' at some point.

Let me know what do you think of it later, I guess Glen also have heard of it, so let's see how he goes with this one.

White Widdow - Serenade

Vain - Enough Rope

I haven't heard anything of the new White Widdow except the first 2 samples people posted way back - waiting till I have the hard copy in my hands. But even with that said, mate, I already 100% agree with your take on how many clowns are out there. I'm pretty sure it's also going to be every bit as good as the debut, except maybe, by the sounds of it, a touch better. Which is fair enough to prefer the new to debut. But I can't understand the clowns who apparently hated the debut so much now suddenly love the sound of the new one, even if the band haven't really done anything that different to the debut. And I mean that in a good way, considering I LOVED the debut and I'd be happy for 10 more albums from the band just like it. :) Anyway, people. What do you do with them?

Those clowns you talk about are as entitled to their opinion as you are. I can't help but feel that this band would only have had about half the hype they get if they were American or British... They're a good band IMO, just overrated.

SHY - s/t (2011)

I'd suggest checking out the reviews online - it sounds like a fantastic album (so much so that whether it sounds like a "real" Shy album doesn't seem to matter). I looked at a few reviews and now I simply must own the CD at all costs!

White Widdow - Serenade

Those clowns you talk about are as entitled to their opinion as you are. I can't help but feel that this band would only have had about half the hype they get if they were American or British...

I'm still not getting the White Widdow thing. I haven't heard a single song that I like by the band. Regardless of whether the band make a good sound, I find all the songs I've heard so far boring. Can someone suggest their best songs so I can say once and for all that I don't like them? I'm more than happy to change my mind if need be.

White Widdow - Serenade

Those clowns you talk about are as entitled to their opinion as you are. I can't help but feel that this band would only have had about half the hype they get if they were American or British...

I'm still not getting the White Widdow thing. I haven't heard a single song that I like by the band. Regardless of whether the band make a good sound, I find all the songs I've heard so far boring. Can someone suggest their best songs so I can say once and for all that I don't like them? I'm more than happy to change my mind if need be.

"Broken Hearts Won't Last Forever" was my highlight from the debut, though I'm still not a big fan of the vocals nor the harmonies. Strong track though...

White Widdow - Serenade

Vain - Enough Rope

Those clowns you talk about are as entitled to their opinion as you are. I can't help but feel that this band would only have had about half the hype they get if they were American or British... They're a good band IMO, just overrated.

Granted, if they were British I'd have liked them a whole lot less, but still a good band is a good band. ;)

I jest. They could come from Ethiopia or Iraq and if they recorded an album like their debut I'd still love it as much as I do. I don't really look at where a band's from for guidance, and it certainly has ZERO impact on how I feel about the band, unless things like a heavy vocal accent need to be factored in.

If you're saying I have a bias preference of an Aussie band, no person worldwide is more critical of Aussie bands than I. I could name the ones worth mentioning on a single hand... and yes, White Widdow is one of them. But I've always called a spade a spade and most Aussie bands suck, unfortunately. It just so happens that White Widdow aren't one of them. :)

If one looks back over my tastes in the last decade or so, nothing rates higher for me than a classy melodic rock disc with it's face firmly planted in 1988-1992, and to me that's exactly what White Widdow have encompassed with their debut, and now hopefully the new one too.

White Widdow - Serenade

Vain - Enough Rope

Granted, if they were British I'd have liked them a whole lot less, but still a good band is a good band. ;)

I jest. They could come from Ethiopia or Iraq and if they recorded an album like their debut I'd still love it as much as I do. I don't really look at where a band's from for guidance, and it certainly has ZERO impact on how I feel about the band, unless things like a heavy vocal accent need to be factored in.

If you're saying I have a bias preference of an Aussie band, no person worldwide is more critical of Aussie bands than I. I could name the ones worth mentioning on a single hand... and yes, White Widdow is one of them. But I've always called a spade a spade and most Aussie bands suck, unfortunately. It just so happens that White Widdow aren't one of them. :)

If one looks back over my tastes in the last decade or so, nothing rates higher for me than a classy melodic rock disc with it's face firmly planted in 1988-1992, and to me that's exactly what White Widdow have encompassed with their debut, and now hopefully the new one too.

Yeah but let's just clarify the 'clowns' statement. This is aimed at a whole group of people stating that the new album is 'miles better' than the debut. This statement is flawed IMO....yes the production is miles better but the songs are on a par. I'll be very interested to see their performance at FF - I bet the 'best' songs live are the ones from the debut, like 'Crimes of passion', 'Broken Hearts', 'We've Got The Wings'....we'll see.

SHY - s/t (2011)

Not even started to rate this yet, but on first spin impression I have to say that I am impressed. Yeah, backed that there a couple of fillers on board...agreed the 7 mins plus of 'Sanctuary' is a mistake, 'Breathe' is a little unspectacular (although this could be a grower - mid paced burner type song)...what I am a little surprised by is 'Blood On The Line' - filler? I thought this song was awesome and possibly my fav track on offer lol!! Lee Small sounds great to me....much prefer his vocal style over Mills. The 'music' is pretty great too - big variation from AOR styled tunes to more hard rock (almost in a classic vein). Not sure at the moment whether this is capable of challenging the likes of TH and WoA, yeah I'd have to say not....but it is v good.

White Widdow - Serenade

Vain - Enough Rope

Yeah but let's just clarify the 'clowns' statement. This is aimed at a whole group of people stating that the new album is 'miles better' than the debut. This statement is flawed IMO....yes the production is miles better but the songs are on a par. I'll be very interested to see their performance at FF - I bet the 'best' songs live are the ones from the debut, like 'Crimes of passion', 'Broken Hearts', 'We've Got The Wings'....we'll see.

To me the production on the debut was excellent... one of the strong points in my personal opinion. Especially when you compare it to what was happening with The Deadthings. So if it's even better on the new one I'm a happy man.

And yeah, don't get me wrong... this isn't just aimed at Tim... there seem to be plenty out there thinking that the new one is a whole new ball game and the debut sucked. So don't worry Tim, there's a whole circus around you... not just a one-man clown act. ;)

SHY - s/t (2011)

Not even started to rate this yet, but on first spin impression I have to say that I am impressed. Yeah, backed that there a couple of fillers on board...agreed the 7 mins plus of 'Sanctuary' is a mistake, 'Breathe' is a little unspectacular (although this could be a grower - mid paced burner type song)...what I am a little surprised by is 'Blood On The Line' - filler? I thought this song was awesome and possibly my fav track on offer lol!! Lee Small sounds great to me....much prefer his vocal style over Mills. The 'music' is pretty great too - big variation from AOR styled tunes to more hard rock (almost in a classic vein). Not sure at the moment whether this is capable of challenging the likes of TH and WoA, yeah I'd have to say not....but it is v good.

It's weird... I'd have been interested in a new Shy album with Mills, but I also know I'd have known exactly what I'd be getting. I'm actually finding myself more interested in this one now that I know Mills isn't involved. From these comments, it sounds like it might actually really be something special. So much so it's on my pre-order list when I'm ready to put it in at Amazon.

ARCH / MATHEOS - Sympatethic Resonance (2011)

new offering from ex-Fates Warning singer, and basically backed up by FW's rhythm section, hm a bit dry and flat for me, maybe because FW isn't my fave prog metal band and I found it hard to appreciate their music, but i did like couple of lengthy tracks here, 'Stained Glass Sky' which is complex and has that Middle-Eastern flair and 'Any Given Day (Strangers Like Me)', but 'Neurotically Wired' is completely passable and uninspiring, especially 'On The Fence' which I think is the worst. The slowtempo, acoustical feel of 'Incense and Myrrh' isn't too bad. Overall, could be a 65% from me, I've heard that Redemption is much better, let's see how it goes later.

CHICKENFOOT - III (2011)

at a first glance, looks like this is more interesting than the debut. Less technical, more song oriented I guess. Most of the songs are enjoyable but as usual, none of them are really shiny except for two tracks, 'Different Devil' and 'Come Closer'. There are at least 2 or 3 dreadful tracks, but the rest are pretty good / great, so I think it's a major step-up from the original. If you're a fan of the debut, you might like this even better, if you despise the debut, this one might make you interested. (80%)

DIAMOND PLATE - Generation Why? (2011)

a surprisingly great young thrash attack from Illinois, representing a sound in the veins of classic Metallica, and with many dynamic tempo and furious rhythm, and still very young in age, probably they started even younger than Metallica or Kreator did in their heyday. The vocal is harsh, even death-metal like at some point, but I do think the strong point is on the guitarist, Konrad Kupiec.

My fave tracks here are : 'Pull The Trigger', 'Casualty of War', 'Relativity', 'At The Mountains of Madness' (85%)

HARDCORE CIRCUS - Wake Up Call (2010)

Swedish sleaze/hard rock band, at some point reminds me of Buckcherry but the use of deep-and-dark riffs is making their music a bit bland for me, just like when I heard Famous Underground. The first half is much better, but overall looks like a very average disc (65%)

ILIUM - Genetic Memory (2011)

Australian power/melodic metal band, not very inventive in songwriting but they did this well. A blend of Axel Rudi Pell and Iron Maiden, many harmonic guitars involved, the vocal is gritty and not very high pitch like the Helloween early days, the solos are awesome, but too bad I think too many average songs, and only couple of outstanding tunes like 'The Immortality Gene', 'Genetic Memory', and 'Ghosts In Flesh'. Great style, inconsistent songs. (70%)

STALA & SO. - It Is So (2011)

Finnish glam/melodic rock band with a sound that's a cross of 70s glam and modern pop rock. Many of the songs are enjoyable, but probably only couple or three songs that's really great, 'Got To Believe', 'Pamela', and 'Bye Bye'. The rest are so-so, some are good, probably around 65-75% range, but none of em are bad which is a good thing of course. The singer's style, as typical young Finnish singer, is not my fave though. (75%)