First Spin Impressions

JustJason

SHADOWMAN - Ghost in the Mirror

Thanks to Wotty I am now a proud owner of this CD. And I am VERY happy to own it ! Andrew from Melodicrock.com gave this CD 94% and he is saying that it is their best effort by far. I can only agree with him. This is really GREAT stuff !!

It is pretty damned good in places - how good are 'Fire And Ice' and 'Here I Am Now'??. A Bit of a tougher sound to this compared to the previous 2 and all the better for it in my opinion. Steve Overland sounds fantastic on here aswell, his best performance for a long time. I agree, there best disc so far, by quite some way.

Errrr ... "Here I am now" ?? Do you have a different version than me ? This track is not on my CD. :unsure:

Change that to 'Keeper Of My Heart' (sounds and looks exactly the same when it's written down :whistle: ). I must have been looking at another disc when I was writing that :screwy:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Wotty I am now a proud owner of this CD. And I am VERY happy to own it ! Andrew from Melodicrock.com gave this CD 94% and he is saying that it is their best effort by far. I can only agree with him. This is really GREAT stuff !!

It is pretty damned good in places - how good are 'Fire And Ice' and 'Here I Am Now'??. A Bit of a tougher sound to this compared to the previous 2 and all the better for it in my opinion. Steve Overland sounds fantastic on here aswell, his best performance for a long time. I agree, there best disc so far, by quite some way.

Errrr ... "Here I am now" ?? Do you have a different version than me ? This track is not on my CD. :unsure:

Change that to 'Keeper Of My Heart' (sounds and looks exactly the same when it's written down :whistle: ). I must have been looking at another disc when I was writing that :screwy:

Ha ha ha ... ! Yeah, that's another great song on this magnificent disc ! :)

Yeah, sorry guys - as I said elsewhere I just didn't like this one bit. I heard this, the new Mad Max and the new Carmen Gray disc yesterday and Carmen Gray was by far the stand-out and the only one I will play again. Like I said in another thread, this isn't awful but it's so safe, bland and unexciting. I don't like the guitar style at all which reminds me of the worst CDs Midnight Sun released, as well as The Poodles' weak 2nd album. As for the actual songs - they're just average/normal. There's nothing to them that would make me want to come back. If it was on the radio, awesome, but if I'm looking for a CD to put on my stereo I could name about 50 better releases from 2008 alone.

Yeah, sorry guys - as I said elsewhere I just didn't like this one bit.

Backed. The soundbytes of this just don't sound that special to me (aside from the songs Jez mentioned).

Valor - FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE/Golgatha - PRISONER split CD (RetroActive Records, 2004)

This here's old school, folks. This is a compilation disc of material from two long-lost early 1980s Christian metal bands (the link between the two is that the same bassist played in both groups) and is the first (and most likely only) time either band has been released on CD. Both Valor and Golgatha tread similar ground (FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE dates back to '84 and PRISONER is from '83), sounding like a mix of the NWOBHM, early American power metal (Metal Church, Omen) with a hit of speed via Metallica's KILL'EM ALL or Anthrax's FISTFUL OF METAL. Good crunchy stuff all around, this would've been right at home on the early MegaForce Records roster. Of the two bands I prefer Valor's FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE but that's mainly because the material is better produced. Golgatha's PRISONER has its moments as well but only four of the 8 tracks are studio recorded, the rest are "live" and aren't up to snuff. All in all, an interesting collectible.

Yeah, sorry guys - as I said elsewhere I just didn't like this one bit. I heard this, the new Mad Max and the new Carmen Gray disc yesterday and Carmen Gray was by far the stand-out and the only one I will play again. Like I said in another thread, this isn't awful but it's so safe, bland and unexciting. I don't like the guitar style at all which reminds me of the worst CDs Midnight Sun released, as well as The Poodles' weak 2nd album. As for the actual songs - they're just average/normal. There's nothing to them that would make me want to come back. If it was on the radio, awesome, but if I'm looking for a CD to put on my stereo I could name about 50 better releases from 2008 alone.

I definitely do not agree at all ! For me the new Shadowman is in my top 10 list for this year. For sure !

But then, tastes differ, don't they ?!?! Because if they wouldn't, everyone would love Cauterize ! ;)

I definitely do not agree at all ! For me the new Shadowman is in my top 10 list for this year. For sure !

But then, tastes differ, don't they ?!?! Because if they wouldn't, everyone would love Cauterize ! ;)

Oh most definitley mate. Don't know if it will make my top ten, but it is way the best album they have done so far. Perfect mix of Bluesy Melodic Rock.

Shadowman > Cauterize...(That failed Ex Boy band)

Oh most definitley mate. Don't know if it will make my top ten, but it is way the best album they have done so far. Perfect mix of Bluesy Melodic Rock.

Thanks for your support, mate !! :tumbsup:

and ....

Shadowman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cauterize :nyanya:

Thanks for your support, mate !! :tumbsup:

and ....

Shadowman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Cauterize :nyanya:

Any single one song from Cauterize or even their time as T.O.E... or even anything Jesse Smith hummed to himself in the shower as a potential idea for a song > The entire Shadowman discography.

Rise Against - 'Appeal to reason' ; wow, I thought they'd released their crowning achievement in 2004 with 'Siren Song of the Counter Culture'. The follow-up was a good one - 'The Sufferer & the Witness '- but didn't quite match the release from 2004. Well, this new disc, I have to say, is their best yet. Their vocalist will keep the majority of people here from liking this band, but I have some large respect for this band. Although they started a full punk band and they have technically sold out a little (thankfully) to become a rather commercial sounding hard rock/punk band at times, they still manage to write really good tunes and the hooks/choruses really, really work when they want them too. There's some really killer stuff on this disc. Not a top 10 finisher for me, but a great disc from the guys.

Any single one song from Cauterize or even their time as T.O.E... or even anything Jesse Smith hummed to himself in the shower as a potential idea for a song > The entire Shadowman discography.

:rofl2::rofl::rofl2:

Bernd - You have to feel a little bit sorry for the poor guy occasionally don't ya?. Then he comes along with statements like that and the pity turns to embarassment and shame! :D

He'll be trying to convince us that Pacific Avenue are an AOR band next and that Poison can actually write decent songs. :screwy:

He is joking though I think!! :wacko:

Geoff - you are joking mate aren't you?

Bernd - You have to feel a little bit sorry for the poor guy occasionally don't ya?. Then he comes along with statements like that and the pity turns to embarassment and shame! :D

He'll be trying to convince us that Pacific Avenue are an AOR band next and that Poison can actually write decent songs. :screwy:

Mate, the only joke here is that you guys actually think Shadowman have anything worthwhile to offer as a band. If they had an ounce of the song-writing ability of Cauterize then even the most die hard AOR fans might have not have to cringe internally, wrecked with embarrassment to be promoting such shit, when trying to convince each other that they're actually any good. Picture a shitty CD like that being released in 1989 and tell me you'd even aim your scrotum at it for a moment.

Cauterize were in a league of their own when in comes to modern rock with hooks and melodies that Overland hasn't dreamed of since 'Tough it out'. Shadowman are a 14th grade melodic rock band that will win sympathy votes from die-hard AOR fans in the current day because of Overland's success with FM, but in three years everyone will breath a sigh of relief when they can permanently forget the band ever existed and discard their pitiful excuses for CDs because they no longer have to impress their AOR buddies with them. :)

"At least someone at least pretends to like Shadowman, which is more than I can say for Cauterize who quit because they couldn't sell a CD," I hear you say. But I'd guess it's probably a safe bet that 'So far from real' (rightfully) sold enough copies to eclipse Shadowman's entire sales for all 3 or 4 dismal CDs... and the fans that did actually let that CD into their lives will treasure it until their last breath for the immaculate peice of treasure it is... not just some dime-a-dozen rehashed slab of tired and passionless AOR that my pugs could write.

As for Poison being unable to write good songs... aren't you that guy who likes The Darkness? ;)

Mate, the only joke here is that you guys actually think Shadowman have anything worthwhile to offer as a band. If they had an ounce of the song-writing ability of Cauterize then even the most die hard AOR fans might have not have to cringe internally, wrecked with embarrassment to be promoting such shit, when trying to convince each other that they're actually any good. Picture a shitty CD like that being released in 1989 and tell me you'd even aim your scrotum at it for a moment.

Cauterize were in a league of their own when in comes to modern rock with hooks and melodies that Overland hasn't dreamed of since 'Tough it out'. Shadowman are a 14th grade melodic rock band that will win sympathy votes from die-hard AOR fans in the current day because of Overland's success with FM, but in three years everyone will breath a sigh of relief when they can permanently forget the band ever existed and discard their pitiful excuses for CDs because they no longer have to impress their AOR buddies with them. :)

"At least someone at least pretends to like Shadowman, which is more than I can say for Cauterize who quit because they couldn't sell a CD," I hear you say. But I'd guess it's probably a safe bet that 'So far from real' (rightfully) sold enough copies to eclipse Shadowman's entire sales for all 3 or 4 dismal CDs... and the fans that did actually let that CD into their lives will treasure it until their last breath for the immaculate peice of treasure it is... not just some dime-a-dozen rehashed slab of tired and passionless AOR that my pugs could write.

As for Poison being unable to write good songs... aren't you that guy who likes The Darkness? ;)

Oh, and one last thing. At least Cauterize went out at their peak and though all their fans would agree they wanted to hear more, I guess the band could argue that they knew their time was up and acted accordingly.

Overland could have saved a lot of pain to people's ears if he'd learnt this lesson in grace after 'Aphrodesiac' was released (though that last The Ladder CD was kind of nice...). When is he going to realise the dream is over?

Oh, and one last thing. At least Cauterize went out at their peak and though all their fans would agree they wanted to hear more, I guess the band could argue that they knew their time was up and acted accordingly.

Overland could have saved a lot of pain to people's ears if he'd learnt this lesson in grace after 'Aphrodesiac' was released (though that last The Ladder CD was kind of nice...). When is he going to realise the dream is over?

Why don't you continue writing novels ?? No success .... ?!?! :tumbsup:

Why don't you continue writing novels ?? No success .... ?!?! :tumbsup:

I think we've hit a nerve! :lol:

If I recall, Geoff said he quite liked in parts some of the first 2 Shadowman cd's, using words like 'Awesome' and 'Decent' to describe a few tracks, so they can't be as 'Dismal' as made out to be.

I quite liked the Darkness for what they were, as did a few others, no problem, take the piss all you like mate!

As you once said to me re. Toto i think it was, no one likes to see their fave band berated as such, but to me Cauterize are a pice of shit band, as you see the Darkness to be, plus you bite very easily! :lol:

Shadowman>>>>>>>>>>The Darkness>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Poison>>Cauterize ;)

If I recall, Geoff said he quite liked in parts some of the first 2 Shadowman cd's, using words like 'Awesome' and 'Decent' to describe a few tracks, so they can't be as 'Dismal' as made out to be.

I quite liked the Darkness for what they were, as did a few others, no problem, take the piss all you like mate!

As you once said to me re. Toto i think it was, no one likes to see their fave band berated as such, but to me Cauterize are a pice of shit band, as you see the Darkness to be, plus you bite very easily! :lol:

There are 3 or 4 good songs on the 3 Shadowman CDs (4 from 30+ songs - what a band!) but even the Darkness wrote one good song ('Growing on me') and to be honest, who can't these days? Writing one or two good songs doesn't make a good band though.

I have no problem with someone liking The Darkness, but my balls are yours on a platter if you can tell me one thing they did better than Poison... and why one can look past how shit they were whilst at the same time bad-mouthing Poison.

I do bite easily, but if you were saying that Frontline, Treat or Danger Danger are superior to Cauterize I'd not bat an eyelid. It's just that I'm quite sickened - whether it's to get a rise out of me or not - to see a band I wouldn't even urinate on and that I have 0 respect for anything they've done compared to a flawless act like Cauterize. My dinner has come up seven times over tonight. If Shadowman had done anything worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence, let alone even compared to Cauterize I'd be cool. But they're not even a speck on my radar.

The Darkness - love or hate them - were a horrid, worthless novelty band. Cauterize - love or hate them - were a band who wrote, sung and played with every ounce of passion they had in them - and could write a hook/chorus that'd make a deaf pug sit up and notice. There's no comparison there.

In every aspect:

Cauterize and Poison > Shadowman > The Darkness

There are 3 or 4 good songs on the 3 Shadowman CDs (4 from 30+ songs - what a band!) but even the Darkness wrote one good song ('Growing on me') and to be honest, who can't these days? Writing one or two good songs doesn't make a good band though.

I have no problem with someone liking The Darkness, but my balls are yours on a platter if you can tell me one thing they did better than Poison... and why one can look past how shit they were whilst at the same time bad-mouthing Poison.

I do bite easily, but if you were saying that Frontline, Treat or Danger Danger are superior to Cauterize I'd not bat an eyelid. It's just that I'm quite sickened - whether it's to get a rise out of me or not - to see a band I wouldn't even urinate on and that I have 0 respect for anything they've done compared to a flawless act like Cauterize. My dinner has come up seven times over tonight. If Shadowman had done anything worthy of being mentioned in the same sentence, let alone even compared to Cauterize I'd be cool. But they're not even a speck on my radar.

The Darkness - love or hate them - were a horrid, worthless novelty band. Cauterize - love or hate them - were a band who wrote, sung and played with every ounce of passion they had in them - and could write a hook/chorus that'd make a deaf pug sit up and notice. There's no comparison there.

In every aspect:

Cauterize and Poison > Shadowman > The Darkness

Yes, sure ! Amen .... :tumbsup:

AC/DC-Black Ice

I'll start by saying that I think Brian's Vox are some of the BEST he has ever done...

The Riffs are strong and the sound/recording is "Mutt" worthy..Angus is playing

great as usual and overall this is a great release...for me it took quite a few spins

for it to really sink in...My only gripe is I wish Ang and Mal would let Brian write

more..I don't think he gets any writing credits and I think that shows up in a lot

of the songs..but still a very solid release.

Pair A Dice - s/t ; really not bad at all. Average sound quality but good 80's hard rock songs. I can't see any fan of the genre not getting some joy out of these songs. Loved 'Where's Jenny'. Thumbs up.

1RKO - 'First round knock out' ; Not bad at all. Good solid hard rock almost like recent Von Groove with better choruses. Yeah, I like this one too. More thumbs up.

Pair A Dice - s/t ; really not bad at all. Average sound quality but good 80's hard rock songs. I can't see any fan of the genre not getting some joy out of these songs. Loved 'Where's Jenny'. Thumbs up.

Backed. It rocks but the sound quality is average. :tumbsup:

Towers of London - Blood Sweat and Towers

If you love punky hard rock you will love this band. I had read some good stuff about these guys in Classic Rock for the last several years and I have to say that they are pretty good. Their sound and look is almost as if Motley Crue would of been more influenced by the Ramones. A very fun cd.

Whitecross - The Very Best of Whitecross

Wow I always read that these guys were good and were dead ringers for Ratt and that is very true. This pickup is a pleasant suprise as I really dig it.

Jack Blades - S/T

There's some really good songs and performances on this one but it is very light weight IMO. I'd rather hear Jack rock a little harder as I don't see myself spinning this one to many more times.

Flash Addict - 'Live fast... die pretty' ; Good solid glam/sleaze hard rock release. Sounds a bit like Australia's very own The Deadthings, but with a much better production job. I can't see any fan of sleaze/glam being disappointed with this one.

Black Rain - 'License to thrill' ; I'm liking this. Great sound, another nice full and juicy production job. If you like the whole glam/sleaze/commercial hard rock sound from the 80's this is another good one for the collection.

Masque - 'Face first' ; As I said elsewhere, reminds me a little of Eli's debut. Good solid hard rock, if not a little unspectacular. But still... good stuff.

Black Rain - 'License to thrill' ; I'm liking this. Great sound, another nice full and juicy production job. If you like the whole glam/sleaze/commercial hard rock sound from the 80's this is another good one for the collection.

I picked up Black Rain's ep a litttle while back. Pretty good.

Have been meaning to pick up the album, but haven't got around to it yet.