First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Newman - Decade

Nice 34 track double disc featuring re-records of tracks from all the albums so far and a disc of unreleased stuff. The re-records are all great, especially the stuff from the earlier albums that have a much better production. The real interest here though is the 2nd disc. 17 tracks of previously unreleased songs, demos and a couple of acoustic versions. Some real nice songs here and some that are better than some that appeared on the final releases which says something, as all of the Newman discs have been of a pretty damned high standard songwise. Production is great on all of them, quality is high as you would expect and overall for the price of a single disc, this is an excellent compilation of Steve Newman's work so far.

AAAARGGGGH!!!!!!!!!! What??? I didn't know there were unreleased songs on it!!! I must get it immediately.

Sorry their all sold out. :whistle:

Once in a lifetime opportunity... gone!

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Faster Faster - 'Hopes and dreams'

Capital Lights - 'This is an outrage'

Both are good solid modern pop rock releases. Capital Lights is probably the better of the two, but if you like that vibe shared by a million bands like these these days it's worth checking them both out. Both very solid.

Saint Deamon - In Shadows Lost From The Brave

This is an album for those who liked the more melodic side of the recent Primal Fear album. Easily the highlight of the album is "My heart" (theres a thread on this song alone). The middle of the album drops off a bit with standard melodic power metal but picks up towards the end. Other highlights are "My Judas", "Deamons", "My sorrow", and "Run for your life"... but nothing reaches the heights of the chorus from "My heart".

Quietdrive - 'Deliverance' ; Wow, I was really looking forward to this one after a pretty promising debut. And thank goodness they actually deliver. There is quite a range of tracks here and the diversity is what brings a few fillers. When they're doing what they do best, though, this is excellent, almost Yellowcard 'Paper walls' standards. This should have no problem entering my top 5 for this year. Yes, it's that good, imo. The lyrics for 'Birthday' were brilliant too. :lol:

This is on my list to hear. Cheers for the heads up.

Quietdrive - 'Deliverance' ; Wow, I was really looking forward to this one after a pretty promising debut. And thank goodness they actually deliver. There is quite a range of tracks here and the diversity is what brings a few fillers. When they're doing what they do best, though, this is excellent, almost Yellowcard 'Paper walls' standards. This should have no problem entering my top 5 for this year. Yes, it's that good, imo. The lyrics for 'Birthday' were brilliant too. :lol:

This is on my list to hear. Cheers for the heads up.

I pre-ordered this ages ago, can't wait. The title-track is awesome. I thought their debut was great, & love their cover of "Time After Time"....

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rock

This is very good album. You have a legendary band with a legendary vocalist. Usually these type of projects fall short of expectations but going into my first spin I really didn't know what to expect, so it's a pleasent suprise to learn how good this is. From Brian's guitar playing to Paul's voice(which is from the Heavens) this album should be essential for all Queen, Bad Company or Classic Rock fans in general. You have some rocking songs like "Cosmos Rockin", "C-Lebrity" and "Still Burnin". You have some nice ballads such as "Some things that Glitter", "We Believe"(this should be a hit) and "Say it's not True"(this might be vocal performance of the year and one of the best Paul has ever done, and features some vocals from Roger). Also the best song IMO so far is "Vodoo", it's almost if Brian's guitar and Paul are talking back and forth. Dave is gonna love this album.

Queen + Paul Rodgers - The Cosmos Rock

This is very good album. You have a legendary band with a legendary vocalist. Usually these type of projects fall short of expectations but going into my first spin I really didn't know what to expect, so it's a pleasent suprise to learn how good this is. From Brian's guitar playing to Paul's voice(which is from the Heavens) this album should be essential for all Queen, Bad Company or Classic Rock fans in general. You have some rocking songs like "Cosmos Rockin", "C-Lebrity" and "Still Burnin". You have some nice ballads such as "Some things that Glitter", "We Believe"(this should be a hit) and "Say it's not True"(this might be vocal performance of the year and one of the best Paul has ever done, and features some vocals from Roger). Also the best song IMO so far is "Vodoo", it's almost if Brian's guitar and Paul are talking back and forth. Dave is gonna love this album.

sounds great!

I pre-ordered this ages ago, can't wait. The title-track is awesome. I thought their debut was great, & love their cover of "Time After Time"....

You guys should love this one. Definitely better than the debut which I also liked a lot... so should be a nice surprise. Make sure you both check out 'Fast times at Barrington High' by The Academy Is... too.

You guys should love this one. Definitely better than the debut which I also liked a lot... so should be a nice surprise. Make sure you both check out 'Fast times at Barrington High' by The Academy Is... too.

I listened to this this morning for the first time. I like it. Some especially good tracks in the mid-part of the album. Is it 'Pretend' and 'Hollywood' ?? Good rockers.

Definitely some filler tho...will need some more listens.

At the moment Anberlin's 'New Surrender' > Quietdrive's 'Deliverance'

UFO-The Best of(1974-1983)

A solid Best of cd with a quality booklet with notes written by Mr. Geoff Barton. Many quality songs on here such as "Love to Love", "Only you can Rock Me", "Doctor Doctor", "Rock Bottom" and a few others that I knew. Also some other good tunes that were new to me such as "Let it Rain", "We Belong to the Night" and "Lonely Heart".

White Lion-Pride

It's shocking that I've never heard this cd. I've got something like 6 of the 10 songs on their best of so I wasn't really sure if I really needed this one. I went ahead and picked it up for half price still sealed. A solid album with some great songs such as "All you need is Rock n' Roll", "Lady of the Valley", "Wait", "When the Children Cry", "Hungry" and "Tell Me". Out of the songs I had never heard "Lonely Nights" and "All join our Hands" are both solid.

Iced Earth-Something Wicked Part 2: The Crucible of Man

It's not really fair to even post a first spin impression on this disc. Through one listen it sounds very good, like most IE discs, and very similar to Something Wicked Part 1 from last year. It's nice to hear Matt Barlow back singing with the band but part of me misses Tim Owens. It will take another 4 or 5 more spins to decide where this rates in the IE catalog.

7TH HEAVEN - "USA-UK"

So setting aside the obvious issues I have with this album; 1. There's an ex-boy band member singing, 2. The packaging is AWFUL/EMBARRASINGLY BAD, 3. The Production is shocking (especially the mix; can hardly hear the vocals), 4. Some of the songs are re-records from the "Silver" album. This is actually a very very good album. And it sure as shit beats the last Def Leppard album. HUGE harmonies, lush melodies, and 18 tracks with very very little in the way of filler. It's much more pure MHR than the constant shifts in direction on "Silver", & it's all the better for it. Especially the opening 9 tracks or so, which are pretty much all killers. The remake of "Cellophane" is awesome, "Take Me Back" is lush AOR, but best of all is stunning opener "Better This Way" with it's colossal vocal harmonies. The sound is Goodbye Thrill mixed with classic Def Leppard, & this is absolutely essential to about 90% of HH posters....

7TH HEAVEN - "USA-UK"

So setting aside the obvious issues I have with this album; 1. There's an ex-boy band member singing, 2. The packaging is AWFUL/EMBARRASINGLY BAD, 3. The Production is shocking (especially the mix; can hardly hear the vocals), 4. Some of the songs are re-records from the "Silver" album. This is actually a very very good album. And it sure as shit beats the last Def Leppard album. HUGE harmonies, lush melodies, and 18 tracks with very very little in the way of filler. It's much more pure MHR than the constant shifts in direction on "Silver", & it's all the better for it. Especially the opening 9 tracks or so, which are pretty much all killers. The remake of "Cellophane" is awesome, "Take Me Back" is lush AOR, but best of all is stunning opener "Better This Way" with it's colossal vocal harmonies. The sound is Goodbye Thrill mixed with classic Def Leppard, & this is absolutely essential to about 90% of HH posters....

Interesting you mention the packaging... mines starting to fall apart already..

There isnt even a band picture on it. 7th Heaven have put out a few releases in these cheap digipacks..

7TH HEAVEN - "USA-UK"

There isnt even a band picture on it. 7th Heaven have put out a few releases in these cheap digipacks..

My case is still okay but I'm certainly not a fan of it. Did you guys get the poster with the CD, with a few piccies of the band including one with a girl in it???

7TH HEAVEN - "USA-UK"

My case is still okay but I'm certainly not a fan of it. Did you guys get the poster with the CD, with a few piccies of the band including one with a girl in it???

yeh mine went in the bin :)

7th Heaven have always sent newsletters out...

They apparently have an acoustic album out soon too...

7TH HEAVEN - "USA-UK"

I didn't get a poster. Or even any inlay, just a cardboard digi-pack that is already dog-eared. It's bloody awful, but you can look past it with the quality of the music....

CROWN OF THORNS - Faith

Even after being underwhelmed by the soundbytes I still picked this up hoping it would sound better with the full album. Overall this is a pretty forgettable CD IMO. It's more lighweight than pretty much anything they've done previously, especially the second half of this CD, but it doesn't really have the hooks to carry it off. Absolutely none of the opening 3 or 4 tracks really grab you, & it isn't until the last 5 or 6 songs kick-in that things get good, but even then the vocals completely spoil it as they're so flat. Even the heaviest song ("Rock Ready") is really not very heavy at all, & it's pretty mediocre. A pleasant enough listen, but there's too much other good stuff around at the moment to really invest listening time here, and "Karma" was a much better album....

Slamer - nowhere land

The title track is awesome. Also enjoyed Jaded and one of the ballads towards the start, but honestly... i got bored.

surely you liked 'Not In Love' & 'Higher Ground' ?? Great songs.

Slamer - nowhere land

The title track is awesome. Also enjoyed Jaded and one of the ballads towards the start, but honestly... i got bored.

surely you liked 'Not In Love' & 'Higher Ground' ?? Great songs.

il listen again...

I liked a few songs as well and there weren't any I didn't like but overall it was very boring.

Motorhead - MOTORIZER

It's a new Motorhead album. Nuff said. If you like Motorhead, you'll like this. If you've never dug Motorhead before, you're not gonna dig this one either. Good ole Lemmy, reliable as the tide!! :banger:

Metal Church - THIS PRESENT WASTELAND

The "new" Metal Church lineup kinda bugs me. I really WANT them to be good but they haven't produced a CD yet that has made me go "Wow, Metal Church is BACK!" While the current version of the band (which only contains one original member -- guitarist Kurdt Vanderhoof) hasn't done anything to piss me off quite yet, they have yet to totally blow me away either. THIS PRESENT WASTELAND continues in the vein of the previous two discs -- nothing spectacular, but at least they aren't sh*tting on the name. It sounded OK on the first pass but now that it's over I am not going "Wow, "(name of track)" was a really good song." It kinda went in one ear and out the other. I would like to see them bring back some of the thrash feel of the first couple of albums and kick the intensity up a notch. Otherwise, new discs from this band are basically an excuse for them to go on tour and keep playing the old stuff. Not a bomb, but not essential either.

Motorhead - MOTORIZER

It's a new Motorhead album. Nuff said. If you like Motorhead, you'll like this. If you've never dug Motorhead before, you're not gonna dig this one either. Good ole Lemmy, reliable as the tide!! :banger:

Backed..I love it.... :banger: