First Spin Impressions

JustJason

Slamer - nowhere land

The title track is awesome. Also enjoyed Jaded and one of the ballads towards the start, but honestly... i got bored.

surely you liked 'Not In Love' & 'Higher Ground' ?? Great songs.

il listen again...

I liked a few songs as well and there weren't any I didn't like but overall it was very boring.

You guys!! Boring??

Live with it a while Matty, feel the force. :headbanger:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Motorhead - MOTORIZER

It's a new Motorhead album. Nuff said. If you like Motorhead, you'll like this. If you've never dug Motorhead before, you're not gonna dig this one either. Good ole Lemmy, reliable as the tide!! :banger:

Good summation mate. I really like it, not their best, but a goodie all the same.

Motorhead - MOTORIZER

It's a new Motorhead album. Nuff said. If you like Motorhead, you'll like this. If you've never dug Motorhead before, you're not gonna dig this one either. Good ole Lemmy, reliable as the tide!! :banger:

Good summation mate. I really like it, not their best, but a goodie all the same.

Like the Ramones and AC/DC, reviewing a new disc from Motorhead is pretty well unnecessary I'd say. You already know what it's going to sound like before you even crack the shrinkwrap. :banger:

Slamer - nowhere land

The title track is awesome. Also enjoyed Jaded and one of the ballads towards the start, but honestly... i got bored.

surely you liked 'Not In Love' & 'Higher Ground' ?? Great songs.

il listen again...

I liked a few songs as well and there weren't any I didn't like but overall it was very boring.

You guys!! Boring??

Live with it a while Matty, feel the force. :headbanger:

Slamer is my all-time fave guitarist and Steelhouse Lane, to me, is immaculate. I like 'Nowhere Land' and can happily enjoy it, but it was definitely much less than I expected/hoped for. Good, but not amazing, like I wanted from Slamer.

Sing it Loud - 'Come around' ; Started out okay but I'm actually really enjoying this one. Nothing even remotely original, new or different but if you like the current direction of the better side of modern commercial rock this is well worth your time. A few dodgy verses but more often than not pulled back into line by a good chorus. Don't get me wrong, it's not amazingly stunning or anything, but I still like it quite a bit:

http://www.myspace.com/singitloud

Plain White T's - 'Big Bad World' ; Jeebers f*cking cripes this is SHIT!!! It is so bad it's ridiculous. Disappointing, as I did like their first 2 albums but they've gone a full old school pop rock ala The Beatles type route and this is a f*cking tragedy. R.I.P.

Sing it Loud - 'Come around' ; Started out okay but I'm actually really enjoying this one. Nothing even remotely original, new or different but if you like the current direction of the better side of modern commercial rock this is well worth your time. A few dodgy verses but more often than not pulled back into line by a good chorus. Don't get me wrong, it's not amazingly stunning or anything, but I still like it quite a bit:

http://www.myspace.com/singitloud

- wow, killer last song - 'Best beating heart'.

Plain White T's - 'Big Bad World' ; Jeebers f*cking cripes this is SHIT!!! It is so bad it's ridiculous. Disappointing, as I did like their first 2 albums but they've gone a full old school pop rock ala The Beatles type route and this is a f*cking tragedy. R.I.P.

RAMOS/HUGO - "The Dream" (Frontiers advance)

I know quite a few people are very excited by this, but not me! Kinda reminds me of those Two Fires albums that were like a poor-mans Journey, & it's certainly not in the league of The Storm. Hugo's on good form here, his range & power are amazing (only blunted by the weak/tinny production), but truth be told there's so much good music out this year I'll probably put this album away & won't play it again...

I made the gigantic mistake of wasting an hour of my life to hear the new Extreme - Saudades de Rock (I try, but I'll never learn...).

It sucks a huge amount of fat hairy ones! :puke:

If you see this record, please, destroy it! It shames us all!

I know quite a few people are very excited by this, but not me! Kinda reminds me of those Two Fires albums that were like a poor-mans Journey, & it's certainly not in the league of The Storm. Hugo's on good form here, his range & power are amazing (only blunted by the weak/tinny production), but truth be told there's so much good music out this year I'll probably put this album away & won't play it again...

Haha... that's pretty disappointing. Could've been good but in all honesty doesn't surprise me to hear it's not. I'll still give it at least one spin, though.

Haha... that's pretty disappointing. Could've been good but in all honesty doesn't surprise me to hear it's not. I'll still give it at least one spin, though.

That hugely disappointing.

I need to hear this tho before writing it off........I seem to remember you saying something similar about Work Of Art ( :whistle: ).

:drink:

Scenes from a Movie - 'Take hand, take heart, take aim' ; I actually really liked this. It's an EP that sounds like a demo. Sound quality is average, but the songs are great and I really hope these guys make it to a full album because they got one fan who will be interested!

Holiday Parade - 'This is my year' ; These guys are surely going to put out a full album soon. Good song writing, good sound, good vibe, good radio friendly acoustic based modern commercial rock songs. The formula is all there and there's a few sweet songs on here too. Good luck to 'em, 'cause this is a great EP.

Lannen Fall - 'Stories' ; Not bad. Dime a dozen band, but they do it well enough.

Tupelo Honey - s/t ; I was actually really disappointed in this one. After the killer new EP 'Machines and Robots' I was hoping for something similar here, but it was not to be. Bland modern hard rock with a few cool tracks, but overall pretty forgettable.

A Static Lullaby - 'Rattlesnake' ; I could have sworn I loved the last album from these guys, but now I think it may be someone else. This is agood solid album for what it is. But what it is screamo hard rock/metal. There are a few clean choruses which are solid, but just not good enough to carry this album alone. Decent, but not really worth my time.

That hugely disappointing.

I need to hear this tho before writing it off........I seem to remember you saying something similar about Work Of Art ( :whistle: ).

:drink:

I played it again this morning. My 2nd spin impression is: ZZZZzzzzzzz............

Talisman - 'Truth' ; This is an odd one. As I listened to it, there is no doubt in the world these guys know how to write a terrible song. There is some true, pure and utter shit on this disc - and a lot of it - but inbetween, there are some killer hard rockers. Stuff like 'Another hero', 'Angel/Devil' and 'I'll be there 4 u' are fantastic. There are more than enough songs on this to make it worthwhile. I just wish they didn't waste their time with the shit. 15 songs... this could and should have been cut down to 10 tracks with a better average. The covers are all discgraceful.

Pacifier - s/t ; not bad, I guess. Decent modern rock... not sure I'll ever spin it again.

Thousand Foot Krutch - 'Set it off' ; horrible. More rap than rock... just a shitty f*cked up band. I think the bonus track demos are probably the best songs on this, but this was terrible.

The Rasmus - 'Black Roses' ; Didn't like it at all. Weak delivery, small hooks and overall just too bored and passion-free for me.

Terenzi - 'Black Roses' ; Funnily enough, aside from having the same name as the new Rasmus CD the band actually sounds alot like The Rasmus... except this is the good version. Unfortunately the sound is also pretty weak but one thing these guys have over The Rasmus 14,000 times over is the ability to deliver a huge catchy chorus. Do yourself a favour and check these guys out if you like this style of stuff. Good disc.

In This Moment - 'The dream' ; Wow, what a surprise. Picture pure 80's style hard rock mixed with Paramore and Damone and you have these guys. The first 7-8 songs are all great. Then comes a female screamo song (WTF?!) and then a few weaker songs to finish off the disc. But there are more than enough great tunes on the start of this thing to take note of.

http://www.myspace.com/inthismoment

Pacifier - s/t ; not bad, I guess. Decent modern rock... not sure I'll ever spin it again.

i assume this is the kiwi Pacifier? also known as Shihad..

Probably. Sounds like a match... not my thing though.

ive seen them live a few times..

Do they suck?

Do they suck?

umm they were good, but im not a fan... they had a few hits on aussie radio..

Do they suck?

just cos you're not a fan doesn;t mean they suck.

go and see em live and you may have differing opinion. I find this with a lot of bands, ... I lkie them live but not (as much) on disc.

Do they suck?

just cos you're not a fan doesn;t mean they suck.

go and see em live and you may have differing opinion. I find this with a lot of bands, ... I lkie them live but not (as much) on disc.

To be honest there weren't any songs on the CD I'd want to see live. :(

Honeymoon Suite - Clifton Hill

Their last disc 'Lemon Tongue'/'Dreamland' pretty much divided fans of the band because of it's modern Rock style. I liked most of it, especially tracks like 'Lagavulin' and 'Into Me Into You', but I must admit, I did hanker for a bit of the old style Classic Honeymoon Suite. Thankfully the new disc 'Clifton Hill' goes back somewhat to the older sound, pretty much losing all the modern rock'isms that dogged them on 'Lemon Tongue', but still keeping a modern, up to date sound, tracks like opener 'She Ain't Alright' summing this up perfectly. There are a couple of really excellent ballads on here aswell, 'Restless' is a lovely track, followed closely by 'Ordinary' which is a really nice tune aswell. The rest are all good, up tempo tracks with no real fillers I can hear. The band sound excellent, especially Johnnie Dee's Vox, Production is really nice and crisp and all in all, this is a pretty damned fine album, that after 4 spins so far, and is getting better each time.

Honeymoon Suite - Clifton Hill

Their last disc 'Lemon Tongue'/'Dreamland' pretty much divided fans of the band because of it's modern Rock style. I liked most of it, especially tracks like 'Lagavulin' and 'Into Me Into You', but I must admit, I did hanker for a bit of the old style Classic Honeymoon Suite. Thankfully the new disc 'Clifton Hill' goes back somewhat to the older sound, pretty much losing all the modern rock'isms that dogged them on 'Lemon Tongue', but still keeping a modern, up to date sound, tracks like opener 'She Ain't Alright' summing this up perfectly. There are a couple of really excellent ballads on here aswell, 'Restless' is a lovely track, followed closely by 'Ordinary' which is a really nice tune aswell. The rest are all good, up tempo tracks with no real fillers I can hear. The band sound excellent, especially Johnnie Dee's Vox, Production is really nice and crisp and all in all, this is a pretty damned fine album, that after 4 spins so far, and is getting better each time.

I'd actually have to agree with most of that. Solid album with no obvious duds. My picks were 'Tired o´wating' which is a killer track, 'Ordinary' which is another gem and as Jez says, 'Restless' is a winner. The rest is generally good too, especially the start of the album. It might even sneak up into my top 15 or so for MHR after a few spins.

Aerosmith-Rock in a Hard Place

This album seems to be the red-headed step child of the Aerosmith catalog for some reason.

Most likely due to the fact that Crespo and Dufay had replaced Whitford and Perry on Guitar at this point.

After one listen I don't get why that many people don't dig this one as I really like it.

To me it sounds like a 70's style 'Smith album but released in 1982 which I guess shows a little lack of growth but damn there's some kick ass songs on this one. My favs so far are "Rock in a Hard Place(Cheshire Cat)", "Jailbait", "Lightning Strikes", "Bitches Brew" and "Bolivian Ragamuffin".