First Spin Impressions

JustJason

How are you freaks preferring the guy in Elevener to the dude from Myland? :lol: I personally think the Elevener dude's voice is on par with the dudes from Nickleback and Theory of a Deadman for unbearability... but the guy from Myland has a nice less painful Rob Moratti vibe (a godsend for you AOR types, I'd have thought). :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but the guy from Myland has a nice less painful Rob Moratti vibe

What you mean like a smurf??

I havent heard Myland. But if its AOR & Jez/Swazi diss it, I aint gonna bother.

but the guy from Myland has a nice less painful Rob Moratti vibe

What you mean like a smurf??

I havent heard Myland. But if its AOR & Jez/Swazi diss it, I aint gonna bother.

Yeah, he could have been a smurf if he'd gone the Moratti route but decided to sing well instead. Seriously mate, you would die over about 4-5 songs on this disc. Trust me, his voice is fine.

How are you freaks preferring the guy in Elevener to the dude from Myland? :lol: I personally think the Elevener dude's voice is on par with the dudes from Nickleback and Theory of a Deadman for unbearability... but the guy from Myland has a nice less painful Rob Moratti vibe (a godsend for you AOR types, I'd have thought). :)

He tries to do the Steve Perry thing and doesn't pull it off on alot of tracks. His voice is very strained and quite weak in places. The Moratti vibe is there, but he is way off the quality of Rob Moratti voice. He ain't terrible, but saying the Elevener vocalist is far worse? Hmmm His voice is alot warmer and has a better, richer tone, although is also accented like the Mylands, which maybe a bit of the problem here. Both aren't great vocalists though and both discs would have been absolute killers with better vocalists to be honest

To add:

Lennie - don't let that put you off as the Myland is a killer disc with loads of great songs.

Both aren't great vocalists though and both discs would have been absolute killers with better vocalists to be honest

To add:

Lennie - don't let that put you off as the Myland is a killer disc with loads of great songs.

Yeah, I agree mate. That Elevener disc with a better voice would be stunning. Probably in my top 5 to be honest.

And I agree on Myland too. A must.

Trust me, I'm Geoff.

Oh noooooo ..... ! :lol:

Both aren't great vocalists though and both discs would have been absolute killers with better vocalists to be honest

To add:

Yep, I agree to both statements. :drink:

Enemies Swe - 'Behind enemy lines' ; I can see why people might like this, but I could never be one of them. Gritty, solid hard rock... but about as melodic as cardboard. If you like stuff like Backyard Babies and early Hardcore Superstar this might be your thing. Not bad at all... just totally not for me.

Metallica - Death Magnetic

Okay, I never thought I'd say this, but this sounds really good... so good in fact that I've purchased it. At $8.99 from Amazon combined with a few other purchase to be eligible for Super Saver shipping, it can't be beat. The high quality MP3's I've listened to beat the piss out of the lo-fi YouTube preview tracks, and this actually sounds pretty decent, more like And Justice... than anything else from what I can tell so far, but keep in mind this is my first listen, but that's what I'm getting so far.

Okay, I never thought I'd say this, but this sounds really good... so good in fact that I've purchased it. At $8.99 from Amazon combined with a few other purchase to be eligible for Super Saver shipping, it can't be beat. The high quality MP3's I've listened to beat the piss out of the lo-fi YouTube preview tracks, and this actually sounds pretty decent, more like And Justice... than anything else from what I can tell so far, but keep in mind this is my first listen, but that's what I'm getting so far.

We very rarley disagree on anything, especially tastes in beer, so I might have to actually order this one.

I actually have a link for this but have been kind of scared to download it to be honest with what's going on with that kid and the Guns N Roses songs and tallica's history with the whole Napster thing.

We very rarley disagree on anything, especially tastes in beer, so I might have to actually order this one.

I actually have a link for this but have been kind of scared to download it to be honest with what's going on with that kid and the Guns N Roses songs and tallica's history with the whole Napster thing.

Haha, yea, that would be a download that I would FEAR. If you used it, Lars Ulrich would probably be at your door within the hour with a squad of FBI agents. :yikes:

Haha, yea, that would be a download that I would FEAR. If you used it, Lars Ulrich would probably be at your door within the hour with a squad of FBI agents. :yikes:

:lol:

"Sir, we're with the FBI. Here's some lube, just drop your pants, bend over and let Mr. Ulrich do whatever he wants, please"

"Sir, we're with the FBI. Here's some lube, just drop your pants, bend over and let Mr. Ulrich do whatever he wants, please"

I wonder if Dave Mustaine has downloaded it? :whistle:

I wonder if Dave Mustaine has downloaded it? :whistle:

Nah, he's sitting at home sticking pins in a Lars Ulrich voodoo doll and going "F**k you Lars! Make another LOAD album!"

Well, for the record, I did buy it, just waiting for it to ship... I really do believe in supporting the bands! I'd be a total hypocrite not to.

Well, for the record, I did buy it, just waiting for it to ship... I really do believe in supporting the bands! I'd be a total hypocrite not to.

I saw that's you ordered it. I also believe in supporting the bands.

When I download something if I like it I usually buy it. That is if it's easy to find. :drink:

When I download something if I like it I usually buy it. That is if it's easy to find. :drink:

Backed, downloading is just for sampling purposes (as opposed to sampling porpoises, which I believe is just wrong no matter what).

Backed, downloading is just for sampling purposes (as opposed to sampling porpoises, which I believe is just wrong no matter what).

Except for Rockarma and Farcry albums, right? :lol:

Dizmas - 'On a search in America' ; not really sure how this ended up on my last order from Secondspin, but I assume it was cheap as hell. This is okay, I guess. Sounds a bit like Papa Roach after their rap-metal phase but before their killer hard rock stage. Songs are okay, blatantly Christian... can't see this getting many spins. Still not sure why I got it...

Quietdrive - 'Deliverance' ; Wow, I was really looking forward to this one after a pretty promising debut. And thank goodness they actually deliver. There is quite a range of tracks here and the diversity is what brings a few fillers. When they're doing what they do best, though, this is excellent, almost Yellowcard 'Paper walls' standards. This should have no problem entering my top 5 for this year. Yes, it's that good, imo. The lyrics for 'Birthday' were brilliant too. :lol:

The Academy Is... - 'Fast times and Barrington High' ; I made more details in the official thread for these guys but for those who miss it, this is well worth checking out for fans of Yellowcard's 'Paper walls'. Great commercial rock and up there with Quietdrive as still new real contenders for the top 5 and at least 10 of 2008.

Valencia - 'We All Need a Reason to Believe' ; the third and last song are excellent but the rest is okay modern rock and not much better. Not bad, but pretty forgettable, like this band as a whole.

Newman - Decade

Nice 34 track double disc featuring re-records of tracks from all the albums so far and a disc of unreleased stuff. The re-records are all great, especially the stuff from the earlier albums that have a much better production. The real interest here though is the 2nd disc. 17 tracks of previously unreleased songs, demos and a couple of acoustic versions. Some real nice songs here and some that are better than some that appeared on the final releases which says something, as all of the Newman discs have been of a pretty damned high standard songwise. Production is great on all of them, quality is high as you would expect and overall for the price of a single disc, this is an excellent compilation of Steve Newman's work so far.

Newman - Decade

Nice 34 track double disc featuring re-records of tracks from all the albums so far and a disc of unreleased stuff. The re-records are all great, especially the stuff from the earlier albums that have a much better production. The real interest here though is the 2nd disc. 17 tracks of previously unreleased songs, demos and a couple of acoustic versions. Some real nice songs here and some that are better than some that appeared on the final releases which says something, as all of the Newman discs have been of a pretty damned high standard songwise. Production is great on all of them, quality is high as you would expect and overall for the price of a single disc, this is an excellent compilation of Steve Newman's work so far.

AAAARGGGGH!!!!!!!!!! What??? I didn't know there were unreleased songs on it!!! I must get it immediately.

Newman - Decade

AAAARGGGGH!!!!!!!!!! What??? I didn't know there were unreleased songs on it!!! I must get it immediately.

Sorry their all sold out. :whistle: