First Spin Impressions

JustJason

I've actually given this two spins and thank God I did.

Harem Scarem-Hope

After the first spin I pretty much thought that this cd was good but not near as good as 'Human Nature'. Well after a second spin it's much much better than I thought. This has almost 11 perfect songs IMO. "Watch Your Back", "Hope", "Time Bomb", "Days are Numbered", "Beyond Repair", "Never to Late", "Calm before the Storm", "Nothing Without You" and what might be the best song "Shooting Star". Also the bonus track "Higher" probably has the best Lead Vocal I've heard all year so far. I've never been a huge fan of this band but I'd always liked what I heard but after hearing this one I want to check out some of their other releases.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've actually given this two spins and thank God I did.

Harem Scarem-Hope

After the first spin I pretty much thought that this cd was good but not near as good as 'Human Nature'. Well after a second spin it's much much better than I thought. This has almost 11 perfect songs IMO. "Watch Your Back", "Hope", "Time Bomb", "Days are Numbered", "Beyond Repair", "Never to Late", "Calm before the Storm", "Nothing Without You" and what might be the best song "Shooting Star". Also the bonus track "Higher" probably has the best Lead Vocal I've heard all year so far. I've never been a huge fan of this band but I'd always liked what I heard but after hearing this one I want to check out some of their other releases.

Backed - filler free & excellent.

Motley Crue - Saints of Los Angeles

Ok, I admit I wasn't expecting too much, but I happily admit that I was wrong. On first listen, this is a pretty raw, in-your-face, beefy album with songs that really stand up for you to take notice. I like the fact that many songs talk about how it was to be at the Sunset Strip in the '80s, I like songs with such lyrics. The first 3 tracks (including LAMF) might need a few more listens to get into, but "Down At The Whisky", "Saints Of Los Angeles", "MF Of The Year" and "The Animal In Me" grabbed me from the word go, and are awesome pieces of sleazy music. "Goin' Out Swingin'" also struck me as a great, blistering closer. Tommy sounds great on the skins, and Vince is surprisingly good. Great first impression, totally unexpected!!

:banger:

ELEVENER - When Colleidoscopes Collide

This is the guy from M.I.L.L.I.O.N, finally doing something worthwhile with his time. It's ultra-lite Euro AOR, very similar to things like STREET TALK, which is definitely worth a listen for anyone who loved that bands "V" album. For me it's just a bit too forgettable, no huge hooks just a lot of lush keys & harmony vocals. And it does have two major problems, some pretty godawful lyrics & some even worse vocals. This could've sounded good with a Goran Edman up-front, but instead the guy gives this a westcoast feel with his rich but totally-lacking-in-range vocals. Joseph Williams he is not. If you can look past the issues then it's probably worth a listen, but it isn't from the same planet as other 2008 AOR like: Journey/Brother Firetribe/Work of Art....

Good call... and glad to see I wasn't alone with my thought's on the guy's voice.

Land of Tales - s/t ; very tiring melodic rock. Dime a dozen, no reason to play again, to be honest. Seriously, this stuff is nice but too bland and uninspired. Good disc, just got me in a moment when I was bored by it.

Trapt - 'Only through the pain' ; These guys keep getting better with each CD - I'll give them that - but that still ain't that amazing. This CD has their biggest number of good songs and there is actually some really good stuff on this - well worth checking out, but still not good eough for me to create a thread for them. :P Good modern rock disc.

Judas Priest - NOSTRADAMUS

So I finally get to hear what all the fuss is about. NOSTRADAMUS is a double-CD concept album (a first for the Mighty Priest) and most of the reviews I've read have been either lukewarm or downright bad, so I was actually pretty scared to hit the "play" button for the first time on this behemoth. After nearly 90 minutes of music, I have to say... I'm not hatin' it, but I'm not sure if I'm lovin' it yet either. This is not an album that's an immediate "grabber," so it will definitely require more spins to fully digest.

I will say that NOSTRADAMUS is nowhere near as god-awful as I'd feared. I think the main reason people are flipping out about this album is because it doesn't really sound like "traditional" Judas Priest, or should I say, the Judas Priest that most people are used to hearing. Their last CD (ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION, the first one with Halford back in the fold) was a nice "safe" Priest album, sounding pretty much like what everyone wanted to hear from the reunited band -- a mesh of the vintage SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE/DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH/PAINKILLER vibe. Call me crazy but NOSTRADAMUS sounds more like an updated version of the band's late 70s doom-and-gloom epics. In fact, if this album had been released in the 70s - say, between SAD WINGS OF DESTINY and SIN AFTER SIN -- it probably would've made more sense.

On the up side, Halford's voice sounds fantastic as usual (he's definitely channeling his inner Freddie Mercury on these theatrical styled tunes) and when Tipton and Downing are audible over the angelic backing choirs and classical interludes, they still shred as solidly as ever. When the band kicks into their trademark balls-to-the-wall sound (as on "Prophecy" on disc 1 and the title track on Disc 2) you kinda pump your fist and go "all right," but those moments, unfortunately, are few and far between.

On the down side, this thing is simply TOO DAMNED LONG. There is no reason for it to be 2 CDs. Cut out some of the aforementioned interludes, chop down the run time on a few of the more "Epic" songs and it could've easily fit on one disc.

Overall, I'd have to listen to NOSTRADAMUS a few more times for it to really "gel" and to form a more solid opinion, but based on one spin I'd say that it slides somewhere into the middle of the Priest pack. No, it's not PAINKILLER or VENGEANCE, but thankfully it's not DEMOLITION either. In the end, I gotta give the Priest props for even giving a project of this magnitude a shot. They could've easily recorded another album that sounded like SCREAMING FOR THE DEFENDERS OF PAINKILLER PART THREE, collected their checks and made everyone happy, but instead they chose to spread their creative wings and do something totally off the wall and unexpected. Pretty refreshing for a band approaching its 35th year as a recording artist.

So I finally get to hear what all the fuss is about. NOSTRADAMUS is a double-CD concept album (a first for the Mighty Priest) and most of the reviews I've read have been either lukewarm or downright bad, so I was actually pretty scared to hit the "play" button for the first time on this behemoth. After nearly 90 minutes of music, I have to say... I'm not hatin' it, but I'm not sure if I'm lovin' it yet either. This is not an album that's an immediate "grabber," so it will definitely require more spins to fully digest.

I will say that NOSTRADAMUS is nowhere near as god-awful as I'd feared. I think the main reason people are flipping out about this album is because it doesn't really sound like "traditional" Judas Priest, or should I say, the Judas Priest that most people are used to hearing. Their last CD (ANGEL OF RETRIBUTION, the first one with Halford back in the fold) was a nice "safe" Priest album, sounding pretty much like what everyone wanted to hear from the reunited band -- a mesh of the vintage SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE/DEFENDERS OF THE FAITH/PAINKILLER vibe. Call me crazy but NOSTRADAMUS sounds more like an updated version of the band's late 70s doom-and-gloom epics. In fact, if this album had been released in the 70s - say, between SAD WINGS OF DESTINY and SIN AFTER SIN -- it probably would've made more sense.

On the up side, Halford's voice sounds fantastic as usual (he's definitely channeling his inner Freddie Mercury on these theatrical styled tunes) and when Tipton and Downing are audible over the angelic backing choirs and classical interludes, they still shred as solidly as ever. When the band kicks into their trademark balls-to-the-wall sound (as on "Prophecy" on disc 1 and the title track on Disc 2) you kinda pump your fist and go "all right," but those moments, unfortunately, are few and far between.

On the down side, this thing is simply TOO DAMNED LONG. There is no reason for it to be 2 CDs. Cut out some of the aforementioned interludes, chop down the run time on a few of the more "Epic" songs and it could've easily fit on one disc.

Overall, I'd have to listen to NOSTRADAMUS a few more times for it to really "gel" and to form a more solid opinion, but based on one spin I'd say that it slides somewhere into the middle of the Priest pack. No, it's not PAINKILLER or VENGEANCE, but thankfully it's not DEMOLITION either. In the end, I gotta give the Priest props for even giving a project of this magnitude a shot. They could've easily recorded another album that sounded like SCREAMING FOR THE DEFENDERS OF PAINKILLER PART THREE, collected their checks and made everyone happy, but instead they chose to spread their creative wings and do something totally off the wall and unexpected. Pretty refreshing for a band approaching its 35th year as a recording artist.

Spot On Keith!! It woulda made or sense if it had been released between those two great albums..I think the Freddie Mercury influence is a great call!!! Rob's Vocals are some of the best he's done and that says a lot. They didn't play it safe and that's hard to do these days. If K.K. and Glen coulda unleashed more solos and they cut it down to 1 disc I think more people woulda enjoyed it...maybe not. Great Review Keith!!!!! :banger:

Spot On Keith!! It woulda made or sense if it had been released between those two great albums..I think the Freddie Mercury influence is a great call!!! Rob's Vocals are some of the best he's done and that says a lot. They didn't play it safe and that's hard to do these days. If K.K. and Glen coulda unleashed more solos and they cut it down to 1 disc I think more people woulda enjoyed it...maybe not. Great Review Keith!!!!! :banger:

Thanks bro (tips hat).

One review I read said that NOSTRADAMUS is kinda like Judas Priest's version of MUSIC FROM THE ELDER... i.e. a weird experimental piece that a small portion of the band's following will embrace, and that the rest will listen to only a few times and go "meh, whatever." Time will tell which camp I fall into I suppose.

Yep Great review my man - pretty much spot on with my feelings as well, and much better written than I ever could. :drink:

Wow, that's review is pretty much perfect Bro!! I couldn't have said it any better...

Now, give it a few more listens and it will grow on you, I promise..... :tumbsup:

Yep Great review my man - pretty much spot on with my feelings as well, and much better written than I ever could. :drink:

I'll agree with everyone here and say the your review is right on the money. :drink:

(Blushing) Thanks y'all.

• 2023 Gold Donors

I think Priest' have earned the right to d*mn well do whatever they want-concept album or whatever.I would have prefered a traditional album in the vein of "Angel Of Retribution" over this,but there you go.Its decent but doesn't live up to the hype by a long shot.I didn't really like the last" Primal Fear" disc that well,but its better than "Nostradamus" in my book.Ive spinned it about 6x's.

I think Priest' have earned the right to d*mn well do whatever they want-concept album or whatever.I would have prefered a traditional album in the vein of "Angel Of Retribution" over this,but there you go.Its decent but doesn't live up to the hype by a long shot.I didn't really like the last" Primal Fear" disc that well,but its better than "Nostradamus" in my book.Ive spinned it about 6x's.

The last PF disc blows the new Priest away IMO.

Pair-A-Dice - s/t

It's awesome to finally hear something from this legendary Sunset Strip band.

While there's only 6 songs on this cd all six are solid Hair Metal, nothing mind blowing but if you love bands like Wildside you'll probably enjoy these songs. They're not the greatest I've heard but their a lot of fun. The only bad thing I would say is the sound quality isn't all that great, but that's expected when you record something in 1989. I think these were just demos originally so when I take that into account they don't sound that bad. It would be nice to hear a new recording from these guys and it would be awesome to see vocalist Paul Lancia's own Lancia cd get a reissue.

TRIVIUM - Shogun (3-track advance)

So all you "Crusade" lovers are gonna be in for a shock. No Metallica rip-offs on this, nor is there much clean-singing. There's still the awesome shredding, & some amazing lead-guitar work (especially on the epic title-track), but this is a much bigger sounding disc than "Crusade" was, & even a bit proggy in places. If you hated their early work you will hate this, but I absolutely love the sound of this & much prefer his screaming vocals than the kinda weak Hetfield-esque sound from the last album. A try-before-you-buy for everyone else though...

The Maine - 'Cant Stop Wont Stop' ; Cool pop rock. Loved the start though a few fillers fell through the filter towards the end. For fans of Crash Romeo, Hit The Lights, Run Kid Run and a dozen other bands that sound like this.

Search The City - 'A Fire So Big The Heavens Can See It' ; Loving this. These Anberlin sound-a-likes nail it better than Ivoryline and even Anberlin's recent material. Great disc. Up there with Signal The Escape as one of my fave debuts of the year.

Earshot - 'The silver lining' ; Like Trapt, I've never loved these guys but picked up each new album. Like Trapt, this is their best but like Trapt that still isn't that magnificent. Good solid modern rock disc.

Search The City - 'A Fire So Big The Heavens Can See It' ; Loving this. These Anberlin sound-a-likes nail it better than Ivoryline and even Anberlin's recent material. Great disc. Up there with Signal The Escape as one of my fave debuts of the year.

Im very interested in this

ELEVENER - When Colleidoscopes Collide

This is the guy from M.I.L.L.I.O.N, finally doing something worthwhile with his time. It's ultra-lite Euro AOR, very similar to things like STREET TALK, which is definitely worth a listen for anyone who loved that bands "V" album. For me it's just a bit too forgettable, no huge hooks just a lot of lush keys & harmony vocals. And it does have two major problems, some pretty godawful lyrics & some even worse vocals. This could've sounded good with a Goran Edman up-front, but instead the guy gives this a westcoast feel with his rich but totally-lacking-in-range vocals. Joseph Williams he is not. If you can look past the issues then it's probably worth a listen, but it isn't from the same planet as other 2008 AOR like: Journey/Brother Firetribe/Work of Art....

2008 is turning out to be a great year for quality AOR releases, as TIM mentions above, The magnificent Work Of Art disc, as well as Khymera, Journey, Myland and now this little beauty.

This is ultra smooth AOR of the highest order and whilst TIM mentions Street Talk as a good example, I would say that this is a little more varied songwise. I noted that Geoff didn't really like the vocals on here as well, but for me they are far from terrible. Granted not the best vocalist ever and as TIM says he does lack a bit range, but they sound absolutely fine for me and didn't stand out as being a problem at all. I have heard a hell of a lot worse on this type of release for sure.

Lots of memorable moments on here including,'All I Did' 'Her Eyes' 'All Of My Life' and 'There She Goes'. Overall sound is nicely produced, Bucketloads of keys without overdoing them, some nice song arrangements and for me, even after a couple of spins, penty of hooks throughout that I have been humming all morning.

So for me, a must have disc for all the AOR mafia guys and gals and whilst it won't overtake Work Of Art come years end, it will be right behind it, snapping at it's mighty heels.

A big thumbs up from me.

Bombay Black - Psycho Magnet

There seems to be a lot of talk of this one not being as good as "Anger Management", well I can't say it's as good as AM yet but this is one kick ass Hard Rock disc IMO. I think seeing these songs live yesterday even made it better. "The Ride" and "Head Full of Hate" are my favs so far but I'm liking all of these tunes. Also these guys are awesome dudes to hang out with and drink beer with. Devil Jim you rule. :bowdown:

SEETHER - Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

My sister loves this band & as I'm liking the grungy-Modern Rock stuff of late I thought I'd check this out. Single "Rise Above This" is pretty average, but is easily the best track. There's nothing horrible on here, but the sound is (despite being well produced) so thin, they really need another guitar player. Plus there just isn't enough melody to keep anyone here very interested. Not worth bothering with IMHO.

Ari Koivunen - Becoming

Last years 'Fuel For The Fire' disc was pretty good in places, but lacked hooks generally throughout. The new release 'Becoming' is a much much better effort all round with a much stronger set of songs. Soundwise, this follows a similar path to the debut, bombastic Melodic Metal is the name of the game, and whilst it certainly isn't in anyway shape or form original, it is presented very well here. The assembled band sounds excellent, production is top notch and Koivunen's vocals are an improvement as well. He isn't going to win any awards for his vocals, but does a pretty good job throughout. A nice nice surprise also pops up as a hidden track, in the shape of an acoustic version of Maiden's 'The Evil That Men Do' which is really nicely done. A big improvement all round and a pretty damned good album over all.

SEETHER - Finding Beauty In Negative Spaces

My sister loves this band & as I'm liking the grungy-Modern Rock stuff of late I thought I'd check this out. Single "Rise Above This" is pretty average, but is easily the best track. There's nothing horrible on here, but the sound is (despite being well produced) so thin, they really need another guitar player. Plus there just isn't enough melody to keep anyone here very interested. Not worth bothering with IMHO.

Yeah, either I tried it out and thought the same or still haven't gotten around to giving it a proper spin. These guys do nothing for me, sadly.

Ari Koivunen - Becoming

Last years 'Fuel For The Fire' disc was pretty good in places, but lacked hooks generally throughout. The new release 'Becoming' is a much much better effort all round with a much stronger set of songs. Soundwise, this follows a similar path to the debut, bombastic Melodic Metal is the name of the game, and whilst it certainly isn't in anyway shape or form original, it is presented very well here. The assembled band sounds excellent, production is top notch and Koivunen's vocals are an improvement as well. He isn't going to win any awards for his vocals, but does a pretty good job throughout. A nice nice surprise also pops up as a hidden track, in the shape of an acoustic version of Maiden's 'The Evil That Men Do' which is really nicely done. A big improvement all round and a pretty damned good album over all.

I think you put me on to the debut album and i tried really hard to get into as it was a pretty nice release, and had all the makings of a good album... but somehow it just missed the mark was a bit forgettable. The new one sounds a bit more interesting..

Ari Koivunen - Becoming

I think you put me on to the debut album and i tried really hard to get into as it was a pretty nice release, and had all the makings of a good album... but somehow it just missed the mark was a bit forgettable. The new one sounds a bit more interesting..

Yeah - well worth checking out mate - I think you will like this one!!