Russell / Guns - Medusa

Stefan

8 hours ago, Stefan said:

Video for 'Next In Line'.

Well shit, I like it. Waaaaaaay better than expected 👍

Meh.  Mix is horrible, and it sounds like someone's said to Del Vecchio "here's some old Great White album tracks, can you copy and paste them with lyrics that are clearly by someone who doesn't speak English as their first language".

It's just so forced.  Guns and Russell are both still writing and recording, so there's no need for Del Vecchio and a bunch of random Italian's to write material for them.

It's so far beyond boring by now that Frontiers keep forcing this shit down our throats.

• My Little Pony
14 hours ago, EnJayKay said:

It's so far beyond boring by now that Frontiers keep forcing this shit down our throats.

In fairness, they aren't forcing anything down anyone's throat. But I do understand what you're saying. 

The reason the keep doing this is because fuckos keep buying it. Go to the Melodic Mafia group on the FaceTubes and you'll find literally dozens of people praising all these projects Frontiers releases. 

52 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

In fairness, they aren't forcing anything down anyone's throat. But I do understand what you're saying. 

The reason the keep doing this is because fuckos keep buying it. Go to the Melodic Mafia group on the FaceTubes and you'll find literally dozens of people praising all these projects Frontiers releases. 

Well, SOMEbody has to be buying it...

I'd imagine the sales figures are minimal.

But so are the costs.  A bunch of Italian guys write, play and produce it and the star gets a one off fee to lay down vocals or solo's.

The artwork is just cheap stuff.

And they are definitely forcing it down our throats, because it's all they offer.  The same shit all the time.

Besides Escape Music, AOR BLVD and Melodic Rock Classics there's no alternative.

If you want to hear new material from alot of these guys, you HAVE to settle for sub standard shit by Del Vecchio & Friend's on Frontiers.

• Like 1

I guess everyone needs something to wine about!  

4 minutes ago, The Rocker said:

Yep.  And as long as Frontiers keep pumping out lame shit like this, I'd get used to it.

Also, it's "whine" ;)

Edited by EnJayKay
Spelling

3 hours ago, EnJayKay said:

Yep.  And as long as Frontiers keep pumping out lame shit like this, I'd get used to it.

Also, it's "whine" ;)

LOL

• Haha 1

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, The Rocker said:

I love wine. Never need an excuse to wine. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/15/2023 at 12:04 PM, EnJayKay said:

Meh.  Mix is horrible, and it sounds like someone's said to Del Vecchio "here's some old Great White album tracks, can you copy and paste them with lyrics that are clearly by someone who doesn't speak English as their first language".

It's just so forced.  Guns and Russell are both still writing and recording, so there's no need for Del Vecchio and a bunch of random Italian's to write material for them.

Whilst I would generally agree with the premise of all your points, if I can be the devil's advocate in this instance, I'd say these things;

Mix may not be great but it sounds one hundred full percent better than the last LA Guns album, and to be fair, probably even recent Great White albums. 

And again, I agree that the song could be seen as forced and unoriginal, but to be fair, have Guns or Russell written a better song than this in a long time? I'd love to be shown otherwise, but are Guns/Russell in any position whatsoever to still be writing decent songs, and if so, where these good songs been at for the last decade or so? 

Anyway, I dunno. I was like Mike. I was actually really surprised that the tune wasn't actually that bad. Tracii's guitar sounds way better than anything he's put down for recent LA Guns and I also thought Jack Russell was gone from music so was surprised to hear him, let alone hear him sounding pretty decent. I guess what I mean to say is I don't hate it. Which is more than I can say for recent LA Guns or Great White.  

• Like 1

Well Jack Russell hasn't been in Great White since 2007, so what their recent albums sound like has little to do with him ;)

To me it sounds about as rough as the last L.A. Guns mix wise.

The L.A. Guns reunion album shits all over this songwise (although I actually preferred the album by Steve Riley's version).

Jack sounds fine on his last few album's, as he would here if his vocals weren't buried.

I don't buy the argument of "well I don't think they can write anymore anyway, so they might as well have Del Vecchio and his stooges do it".  That's not the case, they're both capable of writing, and even if it's bog average, I'd sooner hear a writer write their own bog average album than be paid to play one by someone who's never written a great song in his life.  That way all you can expect is an inauthentic, average album.

And what's the point in paying for that?

Jack Russell has indeed not been in GW for an age (thankfully, for his sake, based on their output), but that doesn't change the fact that whenever we hear him we'll associate him with his time in that band. And because GW sure as all heck aren't providing us with any listenable music, I don't mind placing a bit of hope in Jack's hands that he can still serve up something a hardened GW fan might enjoy. 

We must have different stereos because the LA Guns stuff truly just sounds like a demo to me. It's absolute garbage. If I'm being honest, I didn't mind the sound quality of this new song above in this thread, but even if you're hearing an off mix, I'd still swear it sounds completely superior to everything going on with that last LA Guns album, production/mix-wise. 

I was genuinely excited when Guns got back with Lewis, but I haven't enjoyed much of the reunion at all and would easily take the pre-reunion phase of the band over their recent output. Sadly no longer possible, but you know what I mean. 

I just checked and noted I wouldn't have heard Jack Russell on an album since 2017 - no time at all for an acoustic album and Zeppelin cover album. I'm sure he sounded fine... just hadn't heard from him for so long, on original material, and genuinely believed, from interviews I'd heard, that he was basically done. And not all by choice. But it's nice to hear him again. 

Like I said above, in principle, I 100% agree with artists writing their own songs over being spoon-fed songs, and in most instances I am 100% on board. But In this case, I'm not sure. Maybe it's a case by case basis. Because I personally would hate to hear bog average shit these guys would most likely write over more songs like the one above. It's definitely sad that I have that little faith left in these artists that I have absolutely loved throughout the years, but if you give me the 10, 20 or 30 best songs that Guns, Russell and ADV have written in the last 10 years, I would bet both testicles that probably all 30 of them would be ADV songs, as much as that's not a nice thing to say. But it's truthful.  

1 minute ago, EnJayKay said:

I think Del Vecchio writes about 30 (shit) songs a day, and that's probably the problem.

Still, that'll give you plenty to enjoy, you must have been Stock, Aitken and Waterman's dream customer in the 80's 😅

lol, I have no idea what that is. Stock photography probably wasn't around in the 80's, Clay Aitken probably wasn't born yet and I don't even have any word association at all with Waterman. 

I think you're missing my point, though. I don't love or often even like ADV's output, but it's 2023 and whatever I think of ADV, I think even less of Tracii Guns and Jack Russell as songwriters, in 2023. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Geoff said:

lol, I have no idea what that is. Stock photography probably wasn't around in the 80's, Clay Aitken probably wasn't born yet and I don't even have any word association at all with Waterman. 

I think you're missing my point, though. I don't love or often even like ADV's output, but it's 2023 and whatever I think of ADV, I think even less of Tracii Guns and Jack Russell as songwriters, in 2023. 

Stock Aitken & Waterman were the famous music producers/writers in Britain during the 80s & 90s who foisted manufactured pop onto us all by the bucketload. Made stars out of people like Kylie Minouge and Jason Donovan. About 90% of their stuff was throwaway and sounded very similar. A bit like ADV and Frontiers. I understand the comparison EnJayKay was making.

• Like 2