Jump to content

Lynch Mob - Babylon


Stefan

Recommended Posts

LYNCH MOB Announces New Album 'Babylon', Performs New Song 'The Synner'

May 7, 2023

 

LYNCH MOB will release a new studio album, "Babylon", in the fall.

The band, which currently includes legendary DOKKEN axeman George Lynch, drummer Jimmy D'Anda (BULLETBOYS),TANTRIC bassist Jaron Gulino and singer Gabriel Colon, has been performing a new song called "The Synner" at some of its recent shows. Fan-filmed video of several of the performances can be seen below.

For much of 2021 and 2022, George had played dates around the U.S. under the name ELECTRIC FREEDOM, which he previously said was the new name of his "touring entity" after deciding to retire the LYNCH MOB band name in 2020. However, seven months ago, it was reported that Lynch was once again playing shows under the LYNCH MOB moniker.
 

Lynch discussed his change of heart in an interview with Full In Bloom. He said: "[LYNCH MOB is] just a brand I'd established for decades, obviously — over three decades. Nothing's perfect, and I've gotta just live with the fact that it has some negative connotations that I probably have to continue explaining for the rest of my life, and I don't mind doing that. But it is a brand that I built, and I'm just gonna stick with it. As far as a marketing thing and a brand thing and a business thing and a working thing, and it keeps my band guys working and it keeps the fans happy, it makes sense.

"I really felt, when I adopted ELECTRIC FREEDOM, that I was really going against the grain more than keeping the old name," he laughed. "I really felt a lot more resistance than I'd ever felt having LYNCH MOB; that was actually the reality of it. Nobody really liked it. And I didn't like living with that; it was just kind of uncomfortable. It's, like, 'Okay, well, we've just gotta put up with George's decision here to do this, but nobody agrees with it. We're not comfortable with it.' It has a sort of disingenuous ring to it. As much as my motives were pure — I felt honest — it just never caught on, on all kinds of levels."

Asked if he had gotten any negative comments from fans over the LYNCH MOB name, George said: "I may have had a few in the 35 years it's been around, but I'd say probably the most negative criticism I've had of it came from me. So I was my own worst critic with the name, especially in later years. I got a lot more criticism with ELECTRIC FREEDOM.

 

"It's a brand," George explained. "I mean, nobody wants Coke to change their recipe. Just stay the same, and that's what you built over the years. Why would you…? 'Why would you change it' is a rhetorical question. Why I'm probably not more successful in some ways in my career is because I followed my aspirations musically rather than sometimes be smart about just sticking to the plan. [Laughs]"

The news of LYNCH MOB's return was first reported by the Metal Sludge web site on October 1, 2022.

In August 2020, Lynch announced that he was ending LYNCH MOB due to the racial insensitivity of the moniker, saying he would no longer record or perform under that name.

AD

A few months later, Lynch offered a lengthy explanation for why he was ending LYNCH MOB during an interview with George Dionne of Metal Express Radio. Addressing questions about why it took him three decades to call it quits with LYNCH MOB, George said: "When we first formed the band in '89, the name had sort of already been around. While I was in DOKKEN, it's what I called our little group of guitar fans — I had picks made; it was kind of a little subculture within DOKKEN. When we started working on developing and building the band after DOKKEN broke up, that was just the name that we always thought we'd use, 'cause it was a perfect fit — it's my name, and it describes it pretty well. And, of course, the negative connotations were always there, and I was aware of 'em, but not as aware as I probably should have been. [Laughs]

"I had made numerous attempts over the decades to kind of let that name go and had walked that back for multiple reasons — usually because of business considerations," he continued. "For instance, if you try to go out on a tour and not use the name, promoters aren't gonna be happy with you changing it. People aren't gonna know who you are. They're not gonna show up, because what's THE GEORGE LYNCH EXPERIENCE, or whatever you call it. Or record labels are not interested, because it's a brand that they can count on and sell a certain many albums or whatever.

"For instance, the LYNCH MOB record 'Smoke This' that came out, I think, in '99 or 2000, that was not supposed to be a LYNCH MOB record; that really wasn't anything to do with LYNCH MOB. At the end of the day, after the record was done and we were delivering it to the label, they insisted on using that name as insurance. And if I hadn't agreed to that, we wouldn't have had a record. That's the kind of pressure I'm talking about.

 

"But then, with the onset of everything that's happened in the last year, I didn't have that kind of pressure anymore," George added. "I could take it or leave it at this point. And I didn't really feel comfortable with it; I didn't feel comfortable with the name. 'Cause I'm a very progressive person politically, and it just so flies in the face of everything I believe in, and it makes it hard. It makes it hard to have relationships with people and explain yourself, and I got tired of rationalizing it. I think the music is bigger than that, and it's had a great run.

"Another reason, too, is the band fell apart again. The band has fallen apart so many times, I can't even count. And it was just, like, 'No more Oni [Logan, vocals], no more Brian Tichy [drums], no more this guy, no more that guy. Oh, great. Now what do I do?' It's, like, 'Okay, build another band from scratch, call it LYNCH MOB?' No. How about just build something new? It gives me a lot more freedom to basically play anything I want live… I can go out and play everything from my catalog — new, old, covers, jams, you name it, and go deep and have fun and change it up every night."

Oni first hooked up with LYNCH MOB in 1990, but exited the group after the release of its first album, only to rejoin the outfit in the late 2000s.

AD

Logan is featured on five of LYNCH MOB's eight albums, including 1990's "Wicked Sensation", as well as 2009's "Smoke And Mirrors", 2014's "Sun Red Sun", 2015's "Rebel" and 2017's "The Brotherhood".

In August 2021, LYNCH MOB celebrated the 30th anniversary of "Wicked Sensation" with a special limited print/deluxe edition of the album. "Wicked Sensation Reimagined" features re-worked and re-recorded versions of the LP's classic songs, and was made available via Rat Pak Records.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2023 Gold Donors
5 hours ago, AlphaMale said:

LYNCH MOB Announces New Album 'Babylon', Performs New Song 'The Synner'

May 7, 2023

 

LYNCH MOB will release a new studio album, "Babylon", in the fall.

The band, which currently includes legendary DOKKEN axeman George Lynch, drummer Jimmy D'Anda (BULLETBOYS),TANTRIC bassist Jaron Gulino and singer Gabriel Colon, has been performing a new song called "The Synner" at some of its recent shows. Fan-filmed video of several of the performances can be seen below.

For much of 2021 and 2022, George had played dates around the U.S. under the name ELECTRIC FREEDOM, which he previously said was the new name of his "touring entity" after deciding to retire the LYNCH MOB band name in 2020. However, seven months ago, it was reported that Lynch was once again playing shows under the LYNCH MOB moniker.
 

Lynch discussed his change of heart in an interview with Full In Bloom. He said: "[LYNCH MOB is] just a brand I'd established for decades, obviously — over three decades. Nothing's perfect, and I've gotta just live with the fact that it has some negative connotations that I probably have to continue explaining for the rest of my life, and I don't mind doing that. But it is a brand that I built, and I'm just gonna stick with it. As far as a marketing thing and a brand thing and a business thing and a working thing, and it keeps my band guys working and it keeps the fans happy, it makes sense.

"I really felt, when I adopted ELECTRIC FREEDOM, that I was really going against the grain more than keeping the old name," he laughed. "I really felt a lot more resistance than I'd ever felt having LYNCH MOB; that was actually the reality of it. Nobody really liked it. And I didn't like living with that; it was just kind of uncomfortable. It's, like, 'Okay, well, we've just gotta put up with George's decision here to do this, but nobody agrees with it. We're not comfortable with it.' It has a sort of disingenuous ring to it. As much as my motives were pure — I felt honest — it just never caught on, on all kinds of levels."

Asked if he had gotten any negative comments from fans over the LYNCH MOB name, George said: "I may have had a few in the 35 years it's been around, but I'd say probably the most negative criticism I've had of it came from me. So I was my own worst critic with the name, especially in later years. I got a lot more criticism with ELECTRIC FREEDOM.

 

"It's a brand," George explained. "I mean, nobody wants Coke to change their recipe. Just stay the same, and that's what you built over the years. Why would you…? 'Why would you change it' is a rhetorical question. Why I'm probably not more successful in some ways in my career is because I followed my aspirations musically rather than sometimes be smart about just sticking to the plan. [Laughs]"

The news of LYNCH MOB's return was first reported by the Metal Sludge web site on October 1, 2022.

In August 2020, Lynch announced that he was ending LYNCH MOB due to the racial insensitivity of the moniker, saying he would no longer record or perform under that name.

AD

A few months later, Lynch offered a lengthy explanation for why he was ending LYNCH MOB during an interview with George Dionne of Metal Express Radio. Addressing questions about why it took him three decades to call it quits with LYNCH MOB, George said: "When we first formed the band in '89, the name had sort of already been around. While I was in DOKKEN, it's what I called our little group of guitar fans — I had picks made; it was kind of a little subculture within DOKKEN. When we started working on developing and building the band after DOKKEN broke up, that was just the name that we always thought we'd use, 'cause it was a perfect fit — it's my name, and it describes it pretty well. And, of course, the negative connotations were always there, and I was aware of 'em, but not as aware as I probably should have been. [Laughs]

"I had made numerous attempts over the decades to kind of let that name go and had walked that back for multiple reasons — usually because of business considerations," he continued. "For instance, if you try to go out on a tour and not use the name, promoters aren't gonna be happy with you changing it. People aren't gonna know who you are. They're not gonna show up, because what's THE GEORGE LYNCH EXPERIENCE, or whatever you call it. Or record labels are not interested, because it's a brand that they can count on and sell a certain many albums or whatever.

"For instance, the LYNCH MOB record 'Smoke This' that came out, I think, in '99 or 2000, that was not supposed to be a LYNCH MOB record; that really wasn't anything to do with LYNCH MOB. At the end of the day, after the record was done and we were delivering it to the label, they insisted on using that name as insurance. And if I hadn't agreed to that, we wouldn't have had a record. That's the kind of pressure I'm talking about.

 

"But then, with the onset of everything that's happened in the last year, I didn't have that kind of pressure anymore," George added. "I could take it or leave it at this point. And I didn't really feel comfortable with it; I didn't feel comfortable with the name. 'Cause I'm a very progressive person politically, and it just so flies in the face of everything I believe in, and it makes it hard. It makes it hard to have relationships with people and explain yourself, and I got tired of rationalizing it. I think the music is bigger than that, and it's had a great run.

"Another reason, too, is the band fell apart again. The band has fallen apart so many times, I can't even count. And it was just, like, 'No more Oni [Logan, vocals], no more Brian Tichy [drums], no more this guy, no more that guy. Oh, great. Now what do I do?' It's, like, 'Okay, build another band from scratch, call it LYNCH MOB?' No. How about just build something new? It gives me a lot more freedom to basically play anything I want live… I can go out and play everything from my catalog — new, old, covers, jams, you name it, and go deep and have fun and change it up every night."

Oni first hooked up with LYNCH MOB in 1990, but exited the group after the release of its first album, only to rejoin the outfit in the late 2000s.

AD

Logan is featured on five of LYNCH MOB's eight albums, including 1990's "Wicked Sensation", as well as 2009's "Smoke And Mirrors", 2014's "Sun Red Sun", 2015's "Rebel" and 2017's "The Brotherhood".

In August 2021, LYNCH MOB celebrated the 30th anniversary of "Wicked Sensation" with a special limited print/deluxe edition of the album. "Wicked Sensation Reimagined" features re-worked and re-recorded versions of the LP's classic songs, and was made available via Rat Pak Records.

An interesting read.

Thanks for posting mate.

Edited by Darkstone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Cannot wait to hear and own a physical copy of the album.

George has been straight shooter; he doesn't hold back what he going to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2023 Gold Donors
22 minutes ago, Doggy said:

Cannot wait to hear and own a physical copy of the album.

George has been straight shooter; he doesn't hold back what he going to say.

I was very disappointed when he dropped the "Lynch Mob" name, but it looks like he's come to his senses. 

BTW, has anybody heard of "Gabriel Colon" (unfortunate Surname).

I'm not familiar with the name.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Darkstone said:

I was very disappointed when he dropped the "Lynch Mob" name, but it looks like he's come to his senses. 

BTW, has anybody heard of "Gabriel Colon" (unfortunate Surname).

I'm not familiar with the name.

He sang on Puerto Rica's band demo, Fast Taker.

He sang on this year's release by Savage Grace.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

 

image.thumb.png.5e66556558e6110d6e3ce7ecbdf31091.png

 

From Frontiers:

Frontiers Music Srl is pleased to announce the upcoming release of the newest studio album from Lynch Mob, "Babylon". The band is known for their high energy, guitar driven, hard rock vibe, while featuring elements of classic rock, blues, and metal, with a propensity for improvisation. Joining revered guitarist and band founder George Lynch (The End Machine, The Banishment, ex-Dokken) for this newest Lynch Mob album are vocalist Gabriel Colón, bassist Jaron Gulino (Tantric, Heavens Edge), and drummer Jimmy Danda (ex-Bulletboys).

"There’s been so many iterations of Lynch Mob since the the first line-up in 1989 of Oni Logan, Mick Brown, Anthony Esposito, and myself. Putting Lynch Mob together was just an extension of what I'd always strived for in a band: the best possible musicians, chemistry, and brotherhood. My bands have not only been my best friends, but also family. When we come up together and work hard and struggle together, we create a bond that lasts a lifetime. I think that’s the thing I love the most about my musical journey...creating music in the studio, stepping on stage, and sharing that bond with my friends through music. Thank you to everyone who has been in my band. I really feel it’s ours," says Lynch.

New Jersey’s own Jaron Gulino brings the east coast attitude and energy to Lynch Mob. He has prospered in a long career as the bassist in a variety of bands, most notably post-grunge rock band Tantric. Gulino achieved chart topping success with multiple releases from Tantric, as well as performing on many high profile tours and events with numerous other acts. He is also currently the bassist for Philadelphia hard rockers Heavens Edge.

His bandmate and partner in crime in the rhythm section is none other than original Bulletboys drummer Jimmy Danda, who is known for his ability to bring a fantastic element of groove while maintaining the powerful hard rock vibe of Lynch Mob.

Gabriel Colón is a Puerto Rican singer who started his career with a band called Fast Taker. Since then, he has showcased his wide range of vocal talent with many rock acts including Gothic Knights, Culprit, White Wizzard, and Rowan Robertson. Gabriel is a true talent and a great fit to fill the shoes of his extremely talented predecessors in Lynch Mob.
Lynch Mob was formed in 1989 after George Lynch parted ways with his former band Dokken. Their debut release "Wicked Sensation" was met with critical and fan acclaim and went on to be certified gold in sales by the RIAA. The band would continue on through the years with a cast of talented players joining Lynch througout their musical journey over the course of six more studio albums. "Babylon" is Lynch Mob's eight studio album overall and the first since 2017's "The Brotherhood".

Tracklisting:
1. Erase
2. Time After Time
3. Caught Up
4. I’m Ready
5. How You Fall
6. Million Miles Away
7. Let It Go
8. Fire Master
9. The Synner
10. Babylon

Line-up:
Gabriel Colón: Vocals
George Lynch: Guitars
Jimmy Danda: Drums
Jaron Gulino: Bass

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2023 Gold Donors

I'm hopeful, but we'll see.

The "The End Machine" albums were amazing! 

I wish he'd recruited Robert Mason for this Lynch Mob "comeback".

I don't know what Robert's up to lately, but "Warrant" are doing fuck all.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't enjoyed even a single second of anything done under the Lynch Mob name since their second album. But so good are those first two albums that they (he?) have ensured that I will always at least give anything new a chance before I dismiss it, more than likely soon after hearing it. Would love to be surprised, but I don't expect to be. :(

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/25/2023 at 12:36 PM, Geoff said:

I haven't enjoyed even a single second of anything done under the Lynch Mob name since their second album. But so good are those first two albums that they (he?) have ensured that I will always at least give anything new a chance before I dismiss it, more than likely soon after hearing it. Would love to be surprised, but I don't expect to be. :(

Totally agree...and that new song adds nothing for me :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting album. If they could write a decent song, this actually wouldn't be a bad album, lol. Sadly, they still can't write a decent song. There's some terrible stuff on the second half of the cassette tape, but a couple of songs like 'Time After Time' and 'Caught Up' are not far off actually being half decent. 

Lynch still definitely has that distinct guitar sound where you know it's him... but I can't even recall the last time he played on a decent song. :(

Bad album, but better than the abundance of worse Lynch Mob albums after the first two gems. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Definitely the best thing released under the Lynch Mob moniker since the first two excellent discs (well, except for maybe ReVolution, but those were re-works/re-records). I actually think vocalist Gabriel Colon's voice fits the songs perfectly. Don't get me wrong, it ain't great, but it's infinitely more listenable than previous efforts over the last 25 years. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

Definitely the best thing released under the Lynch Mob moniker since the first two excellent discs (well, except for maybe ReVolution, but those were re-works/re-records). I actually think vocalist Gabriel Colon's voice fits the songs perfectly. Don't get me wrong, it ain't great, but it's infinitely more listenable than previous efforts over the last 25 years. 

If it is near the first 2 albums then it is definitely worth having on my radar. Thanks for the heads up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, auslander said:

If it is near the first 2 albums then it is definitely worth having on my radar. Thanks for the heads up.

I would definitely recommend checking it out on Spotify, Amazon, whatever your preferred streamer is before buying. It's nowhere near the first two albums, just streets ahead of their recent output.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Posts

    • Cool song. If ADV is strictly hired to play keys, it should be fine. 
    • Ooh, nice!  I'll have to revisit the first album. 
    • Ugh... I hate you so much. You know I hate you, right? ;} I've never seen either iteration. 
    • These are sounding pretty good. 
    • New album out April 26th. SiX By SiX, the progressive power trio comprising Ian Crichton (Saga), Nigel Glockler (Saxon) and Robert Berry (3.2), are pleased to announce the release of their sophomore album ‘Beyond Shadowland’ on InsideOutMusic on 26th April 2024. The band reconvened in Berry’s own Soundtek Studios in the San Francisco Bay Area in 2023 to bend, shape, hammer and caress their diverse musical talents into 11 impressive new tracks.  With this album, they continue to define and build upon their unique melodic space, welding guitar-driven rock, metal and prog into a unique and powerful sonic setting. Tracks: 1. Wren 2. The Arms of a Word 3. Can’t Live Like This 4. Obiliex 5. Only You Can Decide 6. Titans 7. Outside Looking In 8. Spectre 9. Sympathise 10. One Step 11. The Mission Vinyl-only bonus tracks: 1. SiX By SiX Orchestra Medley 2. The Arms of a Word (Instrumental) 3. Honor Bridge 4. The Mission (Instrumental)    
    • Press release: Newman are pleased to announce the follow up to 2021’s ”Into The Monsters’ Playground”, the UK Melodic Rock band was formed back in 1997 by Steve Newman and quickly gained a great reputation after releasing their debut, and subsequent ”One Step Closer” albums. A string of high quality releases have ensued throughout the last 20 years insuring a strong and loyal following. Highly respected by fans and fellow musicians alike, this new album will add to the bands great legacy and underline the reason why Newman are considered to be one of the UK’s top Melodic Rock artists. The new album tentatively titled ”Colour In Sound” will be the bands 14th studio album and will be released through AOR BLVD Records in May. Artwork will be revealed soon as well as the first single accompanied by a video in the next few weeks, watch this space.
    • Imagine a world where Andrew Wood didn’t die and Mother Love Bone was still creating awesome music!
    • “My Icarian Flight” featuring the one and only ADV 😜  
    • lol, this was my thought process too. What about Confess?! I like both bands, but not at the expense of one of them. 
    • I do have to give him credit for sounding exactly the same as he did in 1989...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.