Quireboys part ways with Spike

PeterS

4 hours ago, PeterS said:

Spike and The Quireboys “part company” | MetalTalk

Known as 'London' Quireboys to America. 

One of those bands where the front man is the band. Don't see how they can replace him. A real shame after 30 years.  Always a great live band. 

Closer to 38 years. First got together in the mid 80s (around 1984/1985 I think) and released their first singles in 1988.

Without Spike it will basically be a bunch of dudes nobody knows. Even Griffin, who has been around since the start is hardly known to anyone outside diehard fans.

38 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

How can you oust the only founding member???

My guess is it is something similar to the LA Guns situation with Steve Riley. He was not a founding member, and although was in the liner notes, did not even appear on the debut as he joined the band after it was recorded. Early on a lot of these bands probably did not go through all the legal name ownership stuff til they got signed, and then when they did they probably split the band name ownership between them all or certain members. Griffin was not a founder, but apart from Spike, is the only member to have been on every single album release since the debut, so my guess is he co-owns the name due to a deal in the early days or through the years.

And let's not even go into the whole "who owns the name Ratt" debacle.

When you have been in a band together as long as those two, I guess they probably felt they had a level of trust and never expected anything like this to happen.

Maybe we will end up with two Quireboys bands.

15 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Closer to 38 years. First got together in the mid 80s (around 1984/1985 I think) and released their first singles in 1988.

Without Spike it will basically be a bunch of dudes nobody knows. Even Griffin, who has been around since the start is hardly known to anyone outside diehard fans.

I saw them in the mid 80s before they got signed.  

I then got to spend and evening with them when they played in Munich. Had a good long chat with Guy Richie but had forgotten he was in the band when I first saw them so never mentioned it. 

16 minutes ago, PeterS said:

I saw them in the mid 80s before they got signed.  

I then got to spend and evening with them when they played in Munich. Had a good long chat with Guy Richie but had forgotten he was in the band when I first saw them so never mentioned it. 

I had no idea Guy Richie was in the band I thought it was Guy Griffin. ha ha

FUCK!! why does this shit always happen to me? 3 weeks away from going to see them, fuck this

18 hours ago, Leykis101 said:

FUCK!! why does this shit always happen to me? 3 weeks away from going to see them, fuck this

A lot of people on their social media pages are demanding refunds.

• My Little Pony
On 4/1/2022 at 11:22 AM, AlphaMale said:

A lot of people on their social media pages are demanding refunds.

I hope it really fucks them over. I'm interested to hear Spike's side of this. 

14 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

he was too drunk to comment 🤣 

On 4/3/2022 at 12:51 PM, Glen said:

he was too drunk to comment 🤣 

Given the history doesn't seem unlikely. 

Much as we love our bands we're not the ones spending all day with each other and having to deal with the situations that brings up on the road. 

With Guy Bailey, I penned the benchmark QUIREBOYS songs - such as Hey You, I Don't Love You Any More and 7 O'Clock - which have defined the band musically for decades and, to this day, remain the hallmark songs of any QUIREBOYS show.

On 4/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, KarpetRydOFunk said:

The place they were going to be playing is all GA so I wasnt worried about getting tickets, I was just gonna get them at the door, FUCK! Now i'll never get to hear them play Sex Party live, this is wack!