Def Leppard - Diamond Star Halos

auslander

46 minutes ago, auslander said:

I'm one of those tragic Lepp fans that finds a few things to love on every one of their albums, including the ones hated by many. Yes, even Slang.

Good album, especially 'All I want is everything' and 'Deliver me.' The only Def Leppard albums I like absolutely zero about is 'On through the night' and 'Yeah.' I think even 'Sparkle Lounge' had one decent song... I think? But that's a poor album. I could pass on all three albums. 

2 hours ago, Geoff said:

Good album, especially 'All I want is everything' and 'Deliver me.' The only Def Leppard albums I like absolutely zero about is 'On through the night' and 'Yeah.' I think even 'Sparkle Lounge' had one decent song... I think? But that's a poor album. I could pass on all three albums. 

I don't hate On Through the Night. It's almost NWOBHM. I think Rock Brigade and the punkish Wasted are my favourite tracks. Admittedly it is not one of my fave albums overall though.

"Yeah" is a lot of fun. For a tribute album, focussing mostly on glam rock songs they loved as kids, it's pretty cool. I dig it quite a lot as i also love Mott and TRex et al.

Sparkle Lounge is probably my least favourite release but C'mon C'mon is a great track. But yeah, I'd play this the least of all Lepp albums.

6 hours ago, whiplash1972 said:

Thoroughly enjoyed X when it came out, and revisited it this year when DSH dropped, and found myself actually loving it even more.  Four Letter Word, Torn to Shreds, and Scar are some of the best songs they've ever done.  :drink:

With that said, DSH obviously resonated more with me than many here on the board; after a few listens, everything just started to "click", and I've played it over and over since it's release. :headbanger:

While I didn't love X when it came out, all the songs you mention are great and the album has grown on me over the years.  I feel like Kiss The Day should've been on the album all along though.

With you on Diamond Star Halos too as for me they at least got back to making an album with some fun, catchy tunes.  I do have to say I only consider it an 11 track album though as I refuse to listen to the two Krauss tunes and the 2 piano ballads as to me those songs are just terribly boring and the album just flows way better without those songs getting in the way.  That said though, there's a handful of tunes here I do enjoy like Take What You Want, Kick, Fire It Up, SOS Emergency, Gimme A Kiss and Unbreakable which is more than I've found myself digging on the past couple albums.  For me, Sparkle only had a few tunes that stuck in my playlist and from the S/T album only Dangerous and Wings of An Angel made my main playlist.

• Like 1

• My Little Pony

I'm so tired of this "well that was then, this is now," "they were at their prime, and now they're old" bullshit. Growing old doesn't mean it's okay to suck.

Look a Treat: there was young, 80's Treat; and old, modern Treat. Whether you prefer one version over the other, both versions still rock. Both versions put out quality music. 

There is no excuse. 

3 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm so tired of this "well that was then, this is now," "they were at their prime, and now they're old" bullshit. Growing old doesn't mean it's okay to suck.

Look a Treat: there was young, 80's Treat; and old, modern Treat. Whether you prefer one version over the other, both versions still rock. Both versions put out quality music. 

There is no excuse. 

Have to agree. The most recent album by Scorpions was one of my favourite albums last year, and Alice Cooper has put out some of my favourite material in recent years, and they have both been around longer than Leppard.

Bands like Lep and Jovi choose to put out weak material, end of story. The problem with Lep though is they are just so up and down with their releases. Self titled was a great album. Everything surrounding it is not. I really liked Slang. Loved Euphoria, but then it was just mediocre release after mediocre release until self titled.

Everyone is gonna have their opinion, and they are entitled to it but don't try telling me I am wrong when I say X was a turd with one or two semi decent songs on it.  Hell even Sparkle lounge had more decent songs on it, and was still a let down.

3 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Everyone is gonna have their opinion, and they are entitled to it but don't try telling me I am wrong when I say X was a turd with one or two semi decent songs on it.  Hell even Sparkle lounge had more decent songs on it, and was still a let down.

Well gee, how could anyone tell you you’re wrong? Certainly not because you’re doing exactly what you just recently chastised others about in that cover songs thread, which is stating your opinion as if it were fact… 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

There is no excuse. 

Really?

The High N Dry era stuff was a bunch of 5 punks making slap bang dirty music as they partied and had a good time.
People were saying "where's the same Pyromania vive" when Hysteria was released.
It was labeled overproduced and too slick.
Now it's reveered by all those haters at the time.

So what do they do? Dumb down their music to appease those who are living in the '80's and are desperate for more from 30 years ago?

If you ask me, Take What You Want is a pretty big tribute to the past style. Probably others there as well.
I got 5 or 6 keepers off this album, which makes it ok in my book.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

Well gee, how could anyone tell you you’re wrong? Certainly not because you’re doing exactly what you just recently chastised others about in that cover songs thread, which is stating your opinion as if it were fact… 🤦‍♂️

Where do I say it's fact? I said my opinion is its a turd and I am sick of people saying I am wrong. See how that works?

Hell, I even started my post with everyone is entitled to their opinion, or did you totally skip that bit?

Did I tell anyone they are wrong?

20 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

Where do I say it's fact? I said my opinion is its a turd and I am sick of people saying I am wrong. See how that works?

Hell, I even started my post with everyone is entitled to their opinion, or did you totally skip that bit?

You can throw “in my opinion “ or whatever variation of it you want into a post, and that doesn’t change the demeanor or tone of your post.  You don’t have to actually say the words “you’re wrong” to imply that someone is wrong because their opinion differs from yours. It’s all word play…

If you were specifically replying to someone in this thread who previously told you you were wrong in your opinion , perhaps quoting them would have added some clarity to your position. Otherwise, your post comes across just like those you’re arguing with… but that’s just my opinion. 😉

• My Little Pony
57 minutes ago, whiplash1972 said:

If you were specifically replying to someone in this thread who previously told you you were wrong in your opinion , perhaps quoting them would have added some clarity to your position. 

Hey, now! Let sleeping dogs lie. ;}

22 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Gotta say, I'm reading this the same as Mike. Who told you you were wrong? 

But then you said this - "Everyone is gonna have their opinion, and they are entitled to it but don't try telling me I am wrong when I say X was a turd with one or two semi decent songs on it."

Kind of comes across to me that you're stating a fact that X is a turd and it's wrong to say otherwise? 

I dunno, all unimportant. But I did read it exactly how Mike did and was going to reply last night but left it. But, just to set the record straight. ;)