Erik Grönwall - cover songs

Stefan

im afraid that hasn't any of the spark or magic of the original.

Erik is obviously forging a career now but posting endless cover songs on You Tube and Singing but a bunch of washed out old farts is a waste of talent imo. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 7:00 PM, Kristian said:

Love the guitar sound on this one:

Not really doing anything unexpected, but still sounds great. Just happy to hear him recording the songs that influenced him. I wonder how Dave feels about him recording Bon Jovi songs after their falling out :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I haven't heard one of his covers that I can say I've enjoyed.

He just shouts.  There's zero nuance to any of them.

Really, really not good.

Loved his solo album, loved that first HEAT album he did, love him in Skid Row, but I can totally do without these soul-less metalized covers he churns out.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, EnJayKay said:

I don't need to, it's absolute shit.

If I got my ears cleaned I would hear it even clearer, and I don't need that.

Do you ever have a positive opinion on anything?

If you think his covers are absolute shit and he is shouting, then yes, you need to get your ears checked or you are talking absolute shit just like when you were in the Russell/Guns topic.

20 hours ago, Tabe said:

Erik does a good or better job on these covers. But........ I don't need Erik singing Whitesnake. Gimme an album back with HEAT or even a New Horizon album. 

He is with Skid Row now.

He is not going back to H.E.A.T.

He does these covers as a side project for fun, not for a career.

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

He is with Skid Row now.

He is not going back to H.E.A.T.

He does these covers as a side project for fun, not for a career.

Yeah, I know he's with Skid Row. Doesn't change what I'd like him to be doing. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2023 at 8:30 PM, Captain Howdy said:

Do you ever have a positive opinion on anything?

If you think his covers are absolute shit and he is shouting, then yes, you need to get your ears checked or you are talking absolute shit just like when you were in the Russell/Guns topic.

Shit is shit.

Just like all the shit that Italian Keyboard Dwarf writes and just like these shit covers.

And your shit taste obviously.

1 hour ago, EnJayKay said:

Shit is shit.

Just like all the shit that Italian Keyboard Dwarf writes and just like these shit covers.

And your shit taste obviously.

Excuse you? It seems like the only reason you're here on the forum is to perpetually shit on ADV. You don't like him, fine. He's overutilized, we get it. Heck, I don't particularly care for his cookie-cutter pain-by-numbers approach, but it is what it is.

Now, when you turn the corner and start namecalling with longtime members, that crosses the line.

Lighten up or take a hike.

You're excused.

Please tell me, where did I call him a name?

I don't like ADV OR these crap covers, and "Captain Howdy" has to crawl up MY arse about it.  I don't care how long he's been on here, I don't need to be told what to like because other people do.

I have no issue with anyone here, you're all just strangers on the Internet.  He's the one that has to take an issue whenever I comment.

There's plenty of post's where I do enjoy stuff, but that's conveniently ignored, because I don't agree with your friend, who constantly attacks me...

Well... that escalated quickly! 

Gotta say I have no issues with artists doing covers. The other day I heard Saigon Kick's "Space Oddity" cover for the first time and loved it. It's not always gonna appeal to fans but I also like the insight it gives to an artist's personal music taste and knowledge of rock history.

On 12/29/2023 at 2:15 AM, heavyharmonies said:

Sayonara, numbnuts.

:baneed:

I was just ignoring the due anyway, but as I said I have yet to see him say anything positive and as you say he seems to be on some kind of ADV hate campaign.

I don't want anyone baneed, but when I see bullshit I call it just like the Russell/Guns post.

On 12/29/2023 at 7:16 PM, auslander said:

Well... that escalated quickly! 

Gotta say I have no issues with artists doing covers. The other day I heard Saigon Kick's "Space Oddity" cover for the first time and loved it. It's not always gonna appeal to fans but I also like the insight it gives to an artist's personal music taste and knowledge of rock history.

I know some bands do the generic covers that everyone does by the same old bands, but I love it when a band shows you juts how broad their tastes are. Some cool examples for instance are the Stryper covers album, the three covers EPs by Halestorm and all the Ghost covers. There are some real curve balls in there, which show you an insight into what bands influenced them early on and which bands still influence them.

Not every cover is a winner, but if they actually make an effort to change things up a little rather than a note for cover, it becomes something that stands on its own (Kik Tracee - Mrs Robinson for instance)

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Kristian said:

Hey

We have a nice thread for highlighting good cover versions :-)

I have been around long enough to remember this topic

• 4 weeks later...

Don't even listen to these covers any more.

They are always well sung and are a great demonstration of his killer voice.

But his goal seems to be to record the songs very true to the originals, and that's boring for me, I'd rather just listen to the originals.

Like my covers to bring something new, or at least a different vibe to the song.