Erik Grönwall - cover songs

Stefan

So very cool!  Great to hear Erik singing and for me, this is 10 times better than the original.

This guy was just born to sing so hopefully we see more music from him.  Although, I'd prefer original music instead of covers.

Also, really cool seeing him work with Jona and Dave and that they are still good working in some capacity together.  It be pretty cool if we could get an Erik solo hard rock/rock/metal type album of original material with Jona/Dave helping him out sort of like Robin from Degreed is doing.

Ha, just came here to post this one myself.

I think Erik's voice is just not quite deep enough for this song.  The original has a sound of menace to it that Erik doesn't.  Still, he sounds great (of course) and does a good job on this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabe said:

Ha, just came here to post this one myself.

I think Erik's voice is just not quite deep enough for this song.  The original has a sound of menace to it that Erik doesn't.  Still, he sounds great (of course) and does a good job on this.

yep

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

Its not bad for what it is...its decent...I can respect that this guy didn't choose a "safe" song to cover .You'll find that there really isn't a whole helluva lot of singers who are even going to attempt to cover a song like this...that said I revisited  "Tyr"..."Headless Cross" and "Cross Purposes"  a few years ago...i'll say that originally I didn't give Tony Martin a fair shake...the guy is definitely in the "underrated" category...some really good stuff on CP.

16 hours ago, Darkstone said:

The "Black Sabbath" Tony Martin era is hugely underrated. 

I love and prefer the original, but this is definitely a worthy tribute.

I'm not a Sabbath fan at all but I love this album.

More info from Erik:

I am very happy to present you to something I’ve been wanting to do for some time now. 

Some of you know that I was diagnosed with leukemia earlier this year. It was the start of a life changing journey full of perspective and it guided me to the core of who I am. 

It really made me realize that making and releasing music is one of the most important things in my life and it has never been more important to me. So that’s what I’m going to do. I am very happy to present you to my version of Black Sabbath – Headless Cross. 

Headless cross has been one of the warm up songs backstage before shows for a couple of years. Is this the meanest riff ever written? 

REQUEST A SONG Remember to subscribe and request a song in the comment section and I might perform it.

OTHER CHANNELS Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/erikgronwall/ Instagram: https://instagram.com/erikgronwallTikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@erikgronwallo… Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/artist/5dg3Y… 

CREDITS Artist: Erik Grönwall Producer: Jona Tee (www.jonatee.com) All music performed by: Jona Tee Guitar solo/ guest artist: Dave Dalone Original artist: Black Sabbath 
Written by: Anthony Philip Harford / Cozy Powell / Tony Iommi

• 3 weeks later...

New cover of Skid Row's '18 And Life'.

From Erik:

This song was basically the starting point of my professional career as an artist. I performed this song during my Swedish Idol audition back in 2009. 12 years later it's time to give this bad boy a try again. Here's my version of the Skid Row song 18 and life.

• Stefan changed the title to Erik Grönwall - cover songs

OK, yeah, that's A LOT better.  That's right in Erik's wheelhouse.  Heck, he could probably replace Sebastian if Skid Row ever needed a new lead singer (obviously, that situation would never happen - you get my point).

2 hours ago, Tabe said:

OK, yeah, that's A LOT better.  That's right in Erik's wheelhouse.  Heck, he could probably replace Sebastian if Skid Row ever needed a new lead singer (obviously, that situation would never happen - you get my point).

he could probably replace virtually any singer. Such a talent. Heard him cover this before of course so not that interested but great that he's sounding so good despite what he's been through 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Glen said:

he could probably replace virtually any singer. Such a talent. Heard him cover this before of course so not that interested but great that he's sounding so good despite what he's been through 

Good point.  I'd actually forgotten about his cancer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Love Gun is just a boring cover.
Nice music, nice singing, but pretty much the same as the original.
Just change it up more and make something interesting.
I'd rather just listen to the original.
A song like Love Gun is hard to cover because it's hard to change up, but I guess that's the challenge.
If you can't do it, just move on to the next song...

On 2/20/2022 at 4:24 AM, CureTheSane said:

Love Gun is just a boring cover.
Nice music, nice singing, but pretty much the same as the original.
Just change it up more and make something interesting.
I'd rather just listen to the original.
A song like Love Gun is hard to cover because it's hard to change up, but I guess that's the challenge.
If you can't do it, just move on to the next song...

yeah, also Stanley sounded amazing back then so is hard to top 

• Like 1

• 2023 Gold Donors

I agree about covers adding a bit more to the original without reworking it to within an inch of its life.

There are a few notable exceptions of course.

Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From my Friends" springs to mind.

This version of "Love Gun" by "Stone Sour" is great, but as CTS said, ultimately, I'd rather listen to the original. 

Edited by Darkstone

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...