Giant - Shifting Time

Stefan

• My Little Pony
50 minutes ago, lecko said:

First single is out:

The song isn't bad, it's just that it doesn't sound like Giant. That wouldn't fit anywhere on the first two albums. 

Written by ADV and sung by Kent Hilli. This is NOT Giant. As for the song itself it’s very by-the-numbers, nothing stand out at all. For me at least. 

Kent is an excellent vocalist and it’s a great gig for him but I find it very hard to get behind this. Shame. 

giant-shifting-time-cover.jpg

So Dann is involved, maybe as a producer?

From Frontiers:

GIANT, the powerhouse rock quartet, are set to unleash their highly anticipated fifth studio album, “Shifting Time" on January 21, 2022.
"We have worked so hard and we are very happy and proud of this record, along with Dann", says David Huff.
Truly the production, songwriting, and performances shine throughout "Shifting Time". 
More details to come….

Tracklisting:
1.    Shifting Time
2.    Let Our Love Win
3.    Never Die Young
4.    Don’t Say A Word
5.    My Breath Away
6.    Highway Of Love
7.    It’s Not Over
8.    The Price Of Love
9.    Standing Tall
10.    Anna Lee
11.    Don’t Wanna Lose You
12.    I Walk Alone

Lineup:

Kent Hilli - Lead Vocals

John Roth - Guitar

Mike Brignardello - Bass

David Huff - Drums

Special Guest: Alessandro Del Vecchio - Keyboards, Background Vocals

Edited by Stefan
  • Like 1

I agree, this is not Giant. They should have called it something else and left Dann and the Giant name out of the hype. Original drummer and bass player with an otherwise new lineup does not equal the original band. The song is just ok, nothing really special, although I hear just a small hint of the original Giant guitar sound in the first few measures after the intro. As much as I like the first two Giant records I don't like this song at all and very likely will not buy this record. Kent is a very good singer in his own right but I feel he is way out of place in this one. 

C.H.

Edited by Captain Holly

• My Little Pony
2 hours ago, Captain Holly said:

I agree, this is not Giant. They should have called it something else and left Dann and the Giant name out of the hype. Original drummer with an otherwise new lineup does not equal the original band. 

C.H.

Well, to be fair, Mike Brignardello has also been there since the beginning. But, yeah, it just goes to show how much Dann Huff was Giant. 

35 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Well, to be fair, Mike Brignardello has also been there since the beginning. But, yeah, it just goes to show how much Dann Huff was Giant. 

I missed that Mike is still on bass. Original post corrected. It still does not sound at all like Giant to me though.

C.H.

So its the same line-up that did Promised Land apart from vocals? oh and the addition of ADV who wasn't involved with that release in either a songwriting or musical capacity. The last release disappointed even with Dann Huff.Mark Spiro & even Erik Martensson contributing to the songwriting,which only adds to the overall feeling of let down 11 years ago!! didn't realize it was that long :(

Edited by lettard

20 minutes ago, AlphaMale said:

Why won't Dann Huff sing anymore? 

My guess is his voice has changed over the years, possibly for the worse and he would rather not sing at all instead of not sounding the same as the earlier Giant, and he would not want to disappoint the fans with bad vocals. There are only a very few singers alive now that still sound like they did back then. He may have been busy with other projects and producing for other groups. I know he produced Patty Smyth's album last year and he has worked with some country acts. Maybe he just does not want to be part of the rock scene now.

C.H. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Holly said:

My guess is his voice has changed over the years, possibly for the worse and he would rather not sing at all instead of not sounding the same as the earlier Giant, and he would not want to disappoint the fans with bad vocals. There are only a very few singers alive now that still sound like they did back then. He may have been busy with other projects and producing for other groups. I know he produced Patty Smyth's album last year and he has worked with some country acts. Maybe he just does not want to be part of the rock scene now.

C.H. 

I don't know. I'm pretty sure I heard he was never singing again. Kinda like Kelly Holland from Cry Of Love (R.I.P.). I loved both of their voices.

12 hours ago, Stefan said:

Special Guest: Alessandro Del Vecchio - Keyboards, Background Vocals

I lost my shit laughing when I saw this. This whole thing just reeks of another Frontiers attempt at cashing in on a hugely popular name of yesteryear, plugging in a couple of random musicians long after the original spirit of the band had departed.

Listening to that riff, it's like they were trying really hard to be Giant, which I guess makes sense when you hear this one...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• My Little Pony

I think Giant could get away with having someone either than Dann on vocals. Kent is not a bad choice at all. But we clearly need Dann back playing guitar. The sound of Giant has been lost without him.

On 11/18/2021 at 1:04 AM, Eric3 said:

I lost my shit laughing when I saw this. This whole thing just reeks of another Frontiers attempt at cashing in on a hugely popular name of yesteryear, plugging in a couple of random musicians long after the original spirit of the band had departed.

Listening to that riff, it's like they were trying really hard to be Giant, which I guess makes sense when you hear this one...

THIS!!! 

It's got people talking and will drive up the hype some more one way or the other. The actual song is ok, if unspectacular and I'll check the rest of it, but not expecting anything but another Del Vecchio album tbh

• Like 1