Giant - Shifting Time

Stefan

Shifting Time's debut album is quite good.

Just joking Stefan. A good album is a good album no matter what the band name is.

• Like 2

Have given this one a few spins now and I'm liking it a lot.  I've never listened to Giant before so I have no idea if it "sounds like Giant" or not.  Probably not as it sounds like it could be a Kent Hilli solo album or even a Perfect Plan album.  That's definitely not a bad thing.  Heck, I like this more than Kent's solo album, which I loved. 

This is quality rock music fronted by Kent Hilli's golden voice.  Pick it up.

• Like 1

Anyone notice this is a really good album, lol? Like Tabe says, to me it's another string in the bow of the Kent Hilli, but it's a fine string and I agree that it is better than both the Perfect Plan stuff, and his solo stuff... both of which I do like. But this is a cut above. 

I do still take issue with this being called Giant, but it doesn't mean it's not a really good album. The songs are very, very much in the style of Giant. Same style, but constantly missing the finesse of original Giant. I really like Hilli, but Giant, for me, was built around Huff's song writing and authenticity in singing the band's songs to us. Without Huff's song writing, vocals and sincerity in delivery, Giant would have been just another band. A quick look at credits on the first two album makes me think Alan Pasqua's absence is significant too, but to me there is no "real" Giant unless Dan Huff is as involved as he was on the first two/three albums. 

All that said, this is a good melodic rock release and the best album I've heard in the first month of 2022. Just wish they hadn't used the Giant name for it... 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, Glen said:

not really. I find it very generic and not much stands out before the last 2 tracks.

Kissin Dynamite is a mile better imho

Really? I thought the first half was stronger. I think. To be fair, only listened to both these albums for the first time today, but I thought Giant was a heck of a lot better than KD, personally. KD are constantly pretty good, but always missing the mark for me. Agree that this Giant album is 100% generic, but I still think it's a strong album. 

• My Little Pony
7 minutes ago, Tabe said:

My existence has been a sheltered one.  

Go listen to Last of the Runaways and Time to Burn, right meow! And then you'll know why we're all so protective of the 'Giant' name. Truly two of the greatest records of Melodic Rock. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Holy shit! Are you serious?!?!!

39 minutes ago, Tabe said:

As a fan of the genre...very sheltered dude...thats insane that you'd never heard them...what are you waiting for...go listen  :) even III is a decent listen as well,from my own point of view,some people disagree some agree.

• Like 2

I've lived with this one for a week now, and have a coupla basic thoughts...

I don't care if they call themselves Giant, Imperfect Plan, or Kent Hilli and the Sonic Buttfuck, this is a damn fine album...

even ADV couldn't ruin it for me! :P

As good as it is, I still think Kent's solo disc from last year is quite a bit better. :tumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• My Little Pony
1 hour ago, whiplash1972 said:

I've lived with this one for a week now, and have a coupla basic thoughts...

I don't care if they call themselves Giant, Imperfect Plan, or Kent Hilli and the Sonic Buttfuck, this is a damn fine album...

even ADV couldn't ruin it for me! :P

As good as it is, I still think Kent's solo disc from last year is quite a bit better. :tumbsup:

I agree with you, for the most part. I just feel the album really needed at least one, preferably more, Mark Spiro penned song. And then, obviously, Dann Huff's axe work. 

;}

• Like 1

Great album, but absolutely NOT Giant.... that fact in itself is going to hurt this album for those people who are 100% expecting the Dann Huff sound. Replacing a part of a band here or there sometimes it doesn't affect the band itself, but when you try to replace the main songwriter, vocalist, guitarist and pretty much the person who was Giant, now you have a problem..

This is no different than when Motley Crue release their album in 94 with John corabi on vocals. Absolutely killer album but the fact that they called that Motley Crue is what killed it

• Like 1

• My Little Pony
5 hours ago, T-BONE said:

Great album, but absolutely NOT Giant.... that fact in itself is going to hurt this album for those people who are 100% expecting the Dann Huff sound. Replacing a part of a band here or there sometimes it doesn't affect the band itself, but when you try to replace the main songwriter, vocalist, guitarist and pretty much the person who was Giant, now you have a problem..

This is no different than when Motley Crue release their album in 94 with John corabi on vocals. Absolutely killer album but the fact that they called that Motley Crue is what killed it

I'm not certain Dann was the main songwriter. The lion's share of the debut was penned by Mark Spiro, while the second album was mostly Alan Pasqua. 

But everything else, I agree with. 

5 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I'm not certain Dann was the main songwriter. The lion's share of the debut was penned by Mark Spiro, while the second album was mostly Alan Pasqua. 

But everything else, I agree with. 

I checked that recently too but still got the impression that Huff was the one steering the ship. No doubt those two contributed plenty, but for me it seemed that Huff was most prevelant. Hard to say for sure without being in the studio, though. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:42 AM, Tabe said:

So... you never unironically said to a chick "I'll see you in my dreams"? You knowing the Giant reference and her just thinking it was icky?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

I checked that recently too but still got the impression that Huff was the one steering the ship. No doubt those two contributed plenty, but for me it seemed that Huff was most prevelant. Hard to say for sure without being in the studio, though. 

Huff should get writing credits just for his amazing guitar solos. 

11 hours ago, auslander said:

So... you never unironically said to a chick "I'll see you in my dreams"? You knowing the Giant reference and her just thinking it was icky?

:puke::P

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...