Neil Peart, dies age 67

Captain Howdy

• My Little Pony

Wow. I had no idea he had brain cancer. Was that a recent diagnosis? I'm glad I got to see him once. What a phenomenal inspiration. 

42 minutes ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Wow. I had no idea he had brain cancer. Was that a recent diagnosis? I'm glad I got to see him once. What a phenomenal inspiration. 

Shittily, the bassist from Falling Red (Mikey Lawless) passed away last Friday from brain cancer. He was only in his 20s

:crying: Never get to see Rush, only on DVD. He inspired a lot people to pick up the sticks and  be a drummer.

God rest your soul, Mr Peart.

2 hours ago, Dead Planet said:

RIP....great musician...hearing rumors that Rush will hit the road with a replacement...

Eh? He just died so why would they be talking about this already?

He retired in 2018 and the band said they have absolutely no plans to continue, so seems weird that they would start these rumours so close to his death even if they started months ago.

Well, fuck.

Rush is my favorite band and I can't put into words the profound effect Peart's lyrics have had on me as a young man trying to find his own identity. There has never been a band I've connected with like Rush and that man was the #1 reason. He was one of my heroes (and I don't use that word lightly), not just for his incredible work and influence as a musician, but for how he carried himself, his attitude towards the whole "rock star" lifestyle," his ability to tackle an insane range of lyrical matter in the most concise, poetic, and relatable ways, and his constant state of humility. The way he was able to keep going after both his daughter and wife died...that's the stuff of legends.

Rush, man, the music may be polarizing, but just look at the outpouring of sentiment from all the huge players in rock and metal today. Neil wasn't just a tremendous musician, he was a human everyone respected, and for the right reasons.

As a fan of the band, I've never been sadder, but I've also never been prouder of what they accomplished and more grateful to have experienced it. As Peart wrote in their swansong, "The measure of a life is the measure of love and respect," both of which he earned in spades.

Fuck.