I Was Wrong.........

AlphaMale

Are there any bands/albums out there that you had a preconceived perception about that you were totally wrong about?

For instance, did you think an album was too heavy for your liking but you ended up loving it?

Back in the 80's/90's, mine would probably be Malice. I was assuming some Slayer-ish vocals and brutally heavy guitars but it's actually pretty melodic with soaring vocals.

License To Kill became one of my all-time favorite albums!!

Yes- I remember hearing Darn Floor, Big Bite off of a compilation CD my sister got me. I thought then that I would hate Daniel Amos. I hated the song. Eventually though, it grew on me, and then I tried out some more Daniel Amos. Now I love them! Or the other way around? I tried out X-Sinner, thinking I'd like them, but then I heard them. They're 'Christian ACDC' but I'd rather listen to ACDC I think. They'll rip your ears off with his bleeding scratchy voice. It's terrible. I was disappointed. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PetraGirl86 said:

Yes- I remember hearing Darn Floor, Big Bite off of a compilation CD my sister got me. I thought then that I would hate Daniel Amos. I hated the song. Eventually though, it grew on me, and then I tried out some more Daniel Amos. Now I love them! Or the other way around? I tried out X-Sinner, thinking I'd like them, but then I heard them. They're 'Christian ACDC' but I'd rather listen to ACDC I think. They'll rip your ears off with his bleeding scratchy voice. It's terrible. I was disappointed. 

Yeah, X-Sinner is an acquired taste. LOL

• Haha 1

I don't think this happens too often with me because I think I generally give most things that I could possibly like a crack. 

I think when I finally decided to give Journey a go after all these decades, I found 'Frontiers' and 'Eclipse' were a little better than I thought they would be. But it was only marginal. I think I liked less than half the songs on each, but it was still probably a few more than I thought I'd like at all. ;) 

To be honest, I am pretty much open to giving anything a try, but in my earliest days of being a hard rock fan, just learning my way I was maybe a little blinkered for the first couple of years pretty much only listening to bands that I had never heard before if they had the right image (big hair, leather, make-up etc etc). Basically if they did not look like Poison, GNR, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue or those style of bands, they did not have a chance.

My first exposure to Dan Reed Network would have been an interview or article in Kerrang magazine around the time The Heat came out, and all I saw was this bald guy and a bunch of guys wearing not so rock clothes and automatically decided they were probably a load of old shit.

Fast forward a year or so after the album came out and I saw the cassette on sale in a local WH Smith and as it was cheap enough and by then I was a lil more open, I gave it a chance and bought it. Fucking loved that album from the moment I first played it, and it is still my favourite Dan Reed album to this day.

Thank fuck I stopped judging bands by image pretty early into my early days in rock, as I probably would listen to half the shit I listen to now.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

To be honest, I am pretty much open to giving anything a try, but in my earliest days of being a hard rock fan, just learning my way I was maybe a little blinkered for the first couple of years pretty much only listening to bands that I had never heard before if they had the right image (big hair, leather, make-up etc etc). Basically if they did not look like Poison, GNR, Bon Jovi, Motley Crue or those style of bands, they did not have a chance.

Know exactly what you mean...I rowed the same boat too...don't remember what changed my mind but glad it did...opened up so many more great bands I would otherwise not have given the time of day to...went through a faze were if it didn't sound like Hysteria(production wise) it didn't count...I mean seriously how many discs ever had that level of production  :) talk about thinning the field somewhat...and all of this after loving the likes of Dio,Whitesnake etc long before Hysteria was even released :whistle:

For awhile I wasn't going to listen to Petra's early stuff because John didn't sing, and I don't think I've listened to Unusual Heat yet because it wasn't Lou. . . Now it's just cause I haven't bothered to. Some stuff I wouldn't listen to even if it just had one original member missing. That route is a mistake. 

3 hours ago, PetraGirl86 said:

For awhile I wasn't going to listen to Petra's early stuff because John didn't sing, and I don't think I've listened to Unusual Heat yet because it wasn't Lou. . . Now it's just cause I haven't bothered to. Some stuff I wouldn't listen to even if it just had one original member missing. That route is a mistake. 

Sometimes this is a tough one as especially with singers, it is hard to fully accept a band moving forward as the vocalist is the most recognisable sound in any band. If you play any song by any band without knowing there has been member changes, usually the only member of the band you would automatically know has been replaced is the singer (although obviously there are exceptions).

For me for instance, I will no longer rush out and buy new Warrant albums because for me Jani WAS Warrant. Not only their vocalist, but their primary song writer too. I do buy their albums and listen with an open ear though later down the line when I have nothing else that is really essential to purchase. It really is not about hating on the band or anything like that, it is just they do not sound like Warrant anymore and the songs just really are not that strong compared to what Jani wrote in my opinion.

And I think that song writing is the key with any band replacing a singer. Motley Crue for me was not MC without Vince, but the self titled album was an absolute killer of an album because Nikki was still in he band, and he is the primary song writer. MC are my fave band, so if anyone had any reason to blindly hate that album it was me.

Edited by Captain Howdy
  • Like 1

Yeah… Bob Hartman shouldn't leave Petra again, because his songwriting IS AMAZING. As someone said, Petra's songs are a mini sermon in each one, with a great rocking song. Only Bob can write those lyrics. Greg Volz is alright, but John's voice is Petra to me. And despite being 70, his voice never changes ! Greg isn't as lucky. 

• My Little Pony
4 hours ago, Captain Howdy said:

Sometimes this is a tough one as especially with singers, it is hard to fully accept a band moving forward as the vocalist is the most recognisable sound in any band. If you play any song by any band without knowing there has been member changes, usually the only member of the band you would automatically know has been replaced is the singer (although obviously there are exceptions).

Yeah... I can't listen to Gotthard anymore. 

Some that come to mind

Sonic Syndicate - did screamo well, with some big hooks and melodies mixed in

Drive - The Cars - This song was flooded on Aussie radio and I hated it as I heard it SO OFTEN. Years later I grew to enjoy it.

Come Said The Boy - Mondo Rock - As a kid I thought this was a weird and slutty song, again grew to like it later

INXS - Also flooded the airwaves (obviously). Just recently really go into some songs I hated, such as Mystify

Danger Danger - Cockroach. Not really wrong, but they fucked up any enjoyment I got from this (these) when they were finlly released and I kinda resented it. Took a long time to appreciate the music. Still hate tht there isn't  clear preference for vocals for me.

Post Jani Warrant and post Jack Great White. Initially didn't like either, but very happy I persisted.

Gof Of Thunder - Kiss - took me forever to like this one. Not sure why, guess it was a bit boring. Possibly my gradual changes in musicl tstes allowed it to work it's way into my head.

Foo Fighters - initially (for many many years) thought Nirvana andavoided them. Took a LONG time to give them a chance. Sonic Highwys is mazing.

Old Dominion - was watchinh TV one night and a concert they did came on. I was too far away from the remote to change the channel, so I put up with it. A few songs later I found myself watchinh them and bought their albums.

Five Finger Death Punch - everypne seems to make jokes about them. Always loved Wrong Side Of Heaven but based on how people threw shit at them I never bothered with other stuff, but glad I eventually did. And Justice For None is great.

Same with Bobaflex. Kind of a bit of a laughing stock if you like their music. Maybe considered try hards or something but I really dig their stuff.

Sunflower Dead - Got It's Time to Get Werid album expecting a lot and only really got a little. Dance with Death and  few others are great but other than that, meh. Kind of wrote the off but for some reason got C O M A and like it a lot

Pop Evil are probably my favorite band right now, but i was initially underwhelmed with the first single off the latest album - Waking Lions, but I was very wrong and after 5 or 6 listens started to like it, now I see it as a killer track.

Never  big Juds Priest fan. Always liked a few songs, Turbo lover, Living After Midnight etc, but for some reason got hold of the Ripper album, nd I really dug it. Enjoyed far more than Rob's stuff, no idea why.