Favorite Christian Hard Rock/Metal Band(s)

What is your favorite Christian hard rock or metal band(s)? You can pick more than one!  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Only ever liostened to Stryper.

And here's the story behind that...
Over here in Australia We basically relied on Metal Edge and Hit Parader for info on any hard rock bands.

However record stores kept a reasonable supply of hard rock music.
Walking past an old Brashs store (don't exist any more but were the biggest and best back in the day) I saw an album I hadn't seen before, from a band I don't remember seeing before.
A bunch of 4 long haired dudes in yellow & black sitting on a yellow & black car with guns and guitars.

So like I did back then, I went with my gut and took a shot and bought it. Didn't even know if it was hard rock or not, although the signs we pretty good.
Got home, and put the record on the player.
First song was ok.
Next up sounded great, until "jeeeeeeesus, kiiiiing, king of kings"
I grabbed the sleeve and started reading the lyrics, and thought "WTF have I done? lol"

I'm not religious at all, but I gave the music the credit for being pretty good and persisted.
Once I got past all the christian references and allowed them just to be there I acdcepted the band as they were and moved forward.
Partial to the softer staff, heavy stuff is a bit boring and screatchy for me.

Just to clarify, I have nothing against religion, but I was like15, and into heavy metal, haha

Only other time I recall being as open to 'new' music was Sonic Syndicate which was the first time I allowed myself to listen to screamo.

In that entire list there are only four (pretty) consistently good albums;

The two Holy Soldier ones, Stryper's 'Against the Law' and Bloodgood's 'All Stand Together.'

And Mass' stuff is good. But some christian freak pointed out to me that they aren't actually a religious band at all - they just had an album produced by Michael Sweet and a stupid presumptuous band name that saw them lumped in with the other religious goons. But apparently they are not a christian band, and when the christian freak pointed this out to me, I did actually think this clown has a point. 

So, favourite actual christian band (and they would be anyway because those two albums are very good) is Holy Soldier. 

There's good songs from a lot of those bands (such as 'Time stands still' by Guardian and 'Collide' by Whitecross) but they're all so inconsistent and the terrible lyrics highlight their shortcomings. Stryper always had 2-3 good songs per album, Angelica have some nice enough stuff, Barren Cross have a good album, Guardian's debut is pretty good and a couple of good songs on the other two (after album three is awful), and all those other guys have 1-2 good songs on a few of their albums. But the christian "scene" is terribly inconsistent in terms of quality, imo. And the lyrics are just embarrassing. ;)  

18 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Strictly from the 80's, I'm guessing?

Because modern bands like Anberlin and Disciple are so much better and more consistent? Fair point. They'd be my two top picks. 

Edited by Geoff

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, Geoff said:

Because modern bands like Anberlin and Disciple are so much better and more consistent? Fair point. They'd be my two top picks. 

Yep. Not that those two would be my picks, but the being better and more consistent part. 

18 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Yep. Not that those two would be my picks, but the being better and more consistent part. 

Who are your favourites? 

Serious recommendation time. You might already know him, but do you jam your christian face off to Lincoln Brewster? I only became aware of him this year thanks to a cover of one of his songs on the new 7th Heaven album. Checked out a few of his albums and the lyrics are too much for me. Massive shame, because otherwise it's pretty awesome stuff. And the dude can play the guitar too. Seriously slick sound that reminds me of a Tim Pierce or the like from "our era." Beautiful tone. Apparently he was a sought after session guitarist in the 90's?

Anyway, he sings about rubbishy christian stuff and it's a massive shame he's not just a proper person, but if you're into that creepy stuff he'd be well worth worshipping, or whatever you guys do. ;)

Oh, and fair call on Idle Cure. They were one of the better ones. 

Edited by Geoff

• My Little Pony
7 hours ago, Geoff said:

Who are your favourites? 

Serious recommendation time. You might already know him, but do you jam your christian face off to Lincoln Brewster? I only became aware of him this year thanks to a cover of one of his songs on the new 7th Heaven album. Checked out a few of his albums and the lyrics are too much for me. Massive shame, because otherwise it's pretty awesome stuff. And the dude can play the guitar too. Seriously slick sound that reminds me of a Tim Pierce or the like from "our era." Beautiful tone. Apparently he was a sought after session guitarist in the 90's?

Anyway, he sings about rubbishy christian stuff and it's a massive shame he's not just a proper person, but if you're into that creepy stuff he'd be well worth worshipping, or whatever you guys do. ;)

Oh, and fair call on Idle Cure. They were one of the better ones. 

I've known about him forever, but never heard any of his stuff. His claim to fame was being a guitar tech for Journey, or something like that. 

On ‎11‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:39 PM, Geoff said:

Would you add Skillet  as a modern band, thou they been around along ?

10 hours ago, Doggy said:

Would you add Skillet  as a modern band, thou they been around along ?

Yeah I'd consider Skillet a modern fan... but not really a big fan, personally. Very one dimensional. ;)

16 hours ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

I've known about him forever, but never heard any of his stuff. His claim to fame was being a guitar tech for Journey, or something like that. 

You should seriously check him out. Definitely one of the better christian artists I've heard it terms of the quality of his music almost... almost negating his terrible lyrics. But I reckon you'd really dig his stuff - at least what I heard (which I think were his last two records). 

Whiteheart. ; )

• 2 weeks later...

My favorite is an obscure band, I know a few of u have heard them, most haven't, it's Ivy Stone, I picked holy soldier 

Oh, also absolutely rocked that 1st cd by Novella, almost forgot, I still jam that fucker, who's to say and do we just surrender are classics to me, killer songs

Edited by Leykis101

• 3 months later...
  • My Little Pony
On 3/7/2020 at 9:36 AM, jondavis said:

Bride belongs on this list! I would say they are my favorite overall.

Ugh... But they had so many poor albums. 

1 minute ago, KarpetRydOFunk said:

Ugh... But they had so many poor albums. 

More importantly, did they actually even have a half decent one? The debut was the best and that was okay to average at best. Imo, of course. 

• My Little Pony
16 minutes ago, Geoff said:

More importantly, did they actually even have a half decent one? The debut was the best and that was okay to average at best. Imo, of course. 

Obviously, it's all up to personal taste, but yeah...

No way like most 80's bands they were good till the 90's came around.

And from what I heard Dale Thompson had vocal problems around that time.

Show No mercy,  Live To Die,  Silence Is Madness - yes a bit raw but still some good songs.

Kinetic Faith, Snakes In The Playground, Scarecrow Messiah - play all of these quite often

Snakes of course is my favorite.

And they put out more albums than most everyone else on the list.

• My Little Pony
3 hours ago, jondavis said:

And they put out more albums than most everyone else on the list.

Which likely hurt them more than anything. They probably should have stopped at "Snakes in the Playground."