Best of 2014 thus far?

well if you hadn't rated so many bloody albums in the 70s it would have been easier to guess ;-)

My guess is :

Laneys Legion

[good album but let down by a weak production]

I think HAREM SCAREM is quite far from sameness, they have enough variety from the debut all the way to the latest album

Bands that really samey for me are like AC/DC, AXEL RUDI PELL, YNGWIE maybe, GREAT WHITE's later-years sound quite similar too, what else ?

@ Glen - no way it's Laney's Legion. I thought today maybe Hell In the Club.

And yeah, more on the HS thing I was talking about yesterday. I forgot to mention 'Overload,' which again is another album which sounds completely different to their others. Their discography is littered with difference, imo. But at the end of the day, 13 albums in now, they'd have every right to repeat things every now and then. The thing with Amaranthe is they are only 3 albums in and all 3 are identical. Can't say that about 'Harem Scarem,' 'Mood Swings' and 'Voice Of Reason,' that's for sure.

@ Nightrain - Great White?? Not sure about that one, mate. Two more are Dirty Looks and Adrian gale. It's not always a bad thing as long as the original product is high quality and the rest follow suite. There's no point starting off at 70% and maintaining that because then it just gets stale quick.

Well Dan did say he was loving the Laneys Legion and couldnt figure out why no one else was talking about it.

But hey, its just a guess......as there are about 100 releases you rated in the 70s lol ;-)

Well, my top 5 is figured out as far as which 5 albums... now my issue is that I keep flip-flopping #2 and #3. I guess it doesn't matter in the global scheme of things, but dagnabit, it just pisses me off that I keep waffling.

Looking back through the threads on the 5 discs I've chosen, I don't think my top 5 will match anyone's, although based on comments, if Stefan has a top 5, we *might* be close on several... he had positive things to say about several of my choices.

The top 5s from Mike and Pete are due to me today, so hopefully I'll have everything posted by this weekend.

-Dan

Well, my top 5 is figured out as far as which 5 albums... now my issue is that I keep flip-flopping #2 and #3. I guess it doesn't matter in the global scheme of things, but dagnabit, it just pisses me off that I keep waffling.

Looking back through the threads on the 5 discs I've chosen, I don't think my top 5 will match anyone's, although based on comments, if Stefan has a top 5, we *might* be close on several... he had positive things to say about several of my choices.

The top 5s from Mike and Pete are due to me today, so hopefully I'll have everything posted by this weekend.

-Dan

Arion.

Easily in my top 5 and THE debut of 2014. There were lots of great releases from familiar artists but all of them expected to be good/great.

My main interests are the AOR/melodic rock and hard rock genres but the Arion release however came out of the blue. I've never heard of them until I heard the debut for the first time. Excellent playing.

The WOW factor is immense. Last time I experienced this was when Brother Firetribe's debut surfaced.

Hell, this might even be my #1 release of 2014.

Essential.

The future looks bright for these youngsters...

• My Little Pony

-Dan

Arion.

Easily in my top 5 and THE debut of 2014. There were lots of great releases from familiar artists but all of them expected to be good/great.

My main interests are the AOR/melodic rock and hard rock genres but the Arion release however came out of the blue. I've never heard of them until I heard the debut for the first time. Excellent playing.

The WOW factor is immense. Last time I experienced this was when Brother Firetribe's debut surfaced.

Hell, this might even be my #1 release of 2014.

Essential.

The future looks bright for these youngsters...

Yup. I can't believe they still teens.

• 1 year later...

OK final list for 2014......things could change but not much.

1. Work of Art - Framework - 96

2. White Widdow - Crossfire - 92

3. Seven - 7 - 91

4. Vega - Stereo Messiah - 91

5. HEAT - Tearing Down The Walls - 90

6. Harem Scarem - 13 - 89

7. Ammunition - Shandhaied - 88

8. Steel Panther - All You Can Eat - 85

9. Night by Night - NXN - 84

10. Brother Firetribe - Diamond In The Firepit - 84

11. Overland - Epic - 83

12. Pretty Wild - s/t - 82

13. Confess - Jail - 82

14. Darkhorse - Let It Ride - 82

15. Johnny Lima - My Revolution - 80

16. Crazy Lixx - s/t - 80

17. Night Ranger - High Road - 80

18. Pretty Maids - Louder Than Ever - 80

19. Winger - Better Days Comin - 78

20. Alien - Eternity - 75

Some quick notes on the top 10 -

Work of Art - just a brilliant AOR release. Hooks and musicianship near perfect

White Widdow - brilliant execution, just maybe a tad too safe for the top spot

Seven - like a long lost classic - very close in sound to my beloved boulevard

Vega - most consistent disc.....just lose the def Lep cover

HEAT - their hardest most varied disc to date, excellent too

Harem Scarem - great return - like a cross of Higher and Overload

Ammunition - love this album. Big and bombastic. Got the Erik magic

Steel Panther - 3 from 3. Must bug the doubters ;-)

Night by Night - great debut. British band too...much better than the hyped In Faith

Brother Firetribe - they rarely put a foot wrong. This is good stuff.

Now to the disappointments - in no order,

Gotthard - they died with Steve Lee, RIP (not rated)

Dynazty - not a bad album, but disappointing that they took the power metal approach (74%)

Edguy - hoped for Rocketride, not sure what i got but it wasnt pretty (57%)

In Faith - didnt live up to the hype (75%)

House of Lords - another bog average album (60%)

Red Dragon Cartel - love Jake but this is weak (52%)

Stan Bush - more inspiro drivel (not rated)

Magnum - stop destroying your legacy (51%)

Tesla - too many fillers and weak vocal (not rated)

Angels of Kings - horrible vocal / weak production (not rated)

Adriangale - poor follow up to Suckerpunch which was brilliant (not rated)

Crazy Lixx - a lot didnt like Riot Avenue, but sorry its better than this. 3 Great songs prop up the score

Not heard -

Hell in The Club, Allen/Lande, Ten, Unruly Child,

Not much change here - except Steep Panther replacing White Widdow (which I hardly play - must rectify that)

Also HS - 13 - is it really 89% good?? Will have to re-visit that asap.

Anyway, on spins alone -

1. HEAT - Tearing Down The Walls

2. Steel Panther - Balls Out

3. Vega- Stereo Messiah

4. Work Of Art - Framework

5. Seven - s/t

Yeah Glen.... what happened to Edguy? That Rocketride disc was awesome. Haven't really gotten in to anything from them since.

Edited for truth ;)

I actually rated 'Tinnitus Sanctus' highest... but that's a 76% compared to 74% for 'Rocket Ride.' 'Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown' is okay too, but the rest is crap. I gave 'Hellfire Club' 64%.

I actually rated 'Tinnitus Sanctus' highest... but that's a 76% compared to 74% for 'Rocket Ride.' 'Space Police - Defenders Of The Crown' is okay too, but the rest is crap. I gave 'Hellfire Club' 64%.

I guess you flunked out of year 10 maths as there's no other possible explanation for those numbers?

I guess you flunked out of year 10 maths as there's no other possible explanation for those numbers?

Yeah how exactly did you get TS above RR ??

One is a very good melodic rock album and one is a pile of shite (to put it mildly ;))

Ive not rated them, but I would bet RR would be 80-85% and TS would be about 50-60%

• 11 months later...
  • 5 years later...

1. Edguy – Space Police (Defenders Of The Crown)

2. Epica – The Quantum Enigma

3. Threshold – For The Journey

4. Lordi – Scare Force One

5. Harem Scarem – Thirteen

6. The Pretty Reckless – Going To Hell

7. Elvenking – The Pagan Manifesto

8. Soilwork – Beyond The Infinite

9. Amaranthe – Massive Addictive

10. Magnum – Escape From The Shadow Garden

• Like 1

On 5/18/2016 at 1:27 PM, Glen said:

Not much change here - except Steep Panther replacing White Widdow (which I hardly play - must rectify that)

Also HS - 13 - is it really 89% good?? Will have to re-visit that asap.

Anyway, on spins alone -

1. HEAT - Tearing Down The Walls

2. Steel Panther - Balls Out

3. Vega- Stereo Messiah

4. Work Of Art - Framework

5. Seven - s/t

interesting to revisit this 6 years on.

Those 5 and white widdow are still the 6 I would be most inclined to play still.

I think now tho it would be :

1. WoA

2. Vega

3. HEAT

4. White Widdow

5. Seven 

based purely on play count 

Top 3 are by far my most played albums from that year