Best of 2014 thus far?

• My Little Pony

Angels or Kings could be great, but I can't get behind the vocals.

Perhaps I'm growing increasingly selective in my old age, but why are there so many new bands with great songwriting and musicianship, that are being let down by weak vocals? Far too many bands. A lot of bands you blokes rate, I'm having a hard time getting through a full album.

Im with you on this one...I dont like the vocals at all.

Love White Widdow though - that is a cool album

I should go back and listen to the other discs, because his vocals were the reason I didn't like them. Did they get a new vocalist, or did he finally learn how to sing? He definitely channels a bit of Harry Hess on the new album.

Perhaps I'm growing increasingly selective in my old age, but why are there so many new bands with great songwriting and musicianship, that are being let down by weak vocals? Far too many bands. A lot of bands you blokes rate, I'm having a hard time getting through a full album.

I should go back and listen to the other discs, because his vocals were the reason I didn't like them. Did they get a new vocalist, or did he finally learn how to sing? He definitely channels a bit of Harry Hess on the new album.

I think Degreed's singer sounds a lot like Harry Hess at times on "We Don't Belong".

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Angels & Kings are far from a new band, are they? Aren't these recordings from the late 80's/90s?

I'm surprised you guys hate Arti Tisi so much. I always thought no one hated that band. But if you don't like Angels & Kings' vocals, you obviously hate Arti Tisi too as it's probably the same vocalist, or his twin. I really like his voice personally. Creeps. ;)

• My Little Pony

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Angels & Kings are far from a new band, are they? Aren't these recordings from the late 80's/90s?

I'm surprised you guys hate Arti Tisi so much. I always thought no one hated that band. But if you don't like Angels & Kings' vocals, you obviously hate Arti Tisi too as it's probably the same vocalist, or his twin. I really like his voice personally. Creeps. ;)

His name is Baz Jackson, and when I heard the first two songs I thought, "Damn, this guy has a very unique voice. This is gonna be awesome!" Unfortunately, the novelty wore off, and it became grating. It's always all or nothing with his vocals. He can't seem to reign it in, and sing softly. A couple of these songs--hell, maybe all of them--I will listen to every now and then, but I just can't do a whole album.

This isn't the only band at fault. There are a number that make the top lists in this thread that I can not listen to.

OK final list for 2014......things could change but not much.

1. Work of Art - Framework - 96

2. White Widdow - Crossfire - 92

3. Seven - 7 - 91

4. Vega - Stereo Messiah - 91

5. HEAT - Tearing Down The Walls - 90

6. Harem Scarem - 13 - 89

7. Ammunition - Shandhaied - 88

8. Steel Panther - All You Can Eat - 85

9. Night by Night - NXN - 84

10. Brother Firetribe - Diamond In The Firepit - 84

11. Overland - Epic - 83

12. Pretty Wild - s/t - 82
13. Confess - Jail - 82
14. Darkhorse - Let It Ride - 82
15. Johnny Lima - My Revolution - 80

16. Crazy Lixx - s/t - 80
17. Night Ranger - High Road - 80
18. Pretty Maids - Louder Than Ever - 80
19. Winger - Better Days Comin - 78
20. Alien - Eternity - 75

Some quick notes on the top 10 -

Work of Art - just a brilliant AOR release. Hooks and musicianship near perfect

White Widdow - brilliant execution, just maybe a tad too safe for the top spot

Seven - like a long lost classic - very close in sound to my beloved boulevard

Vega - most consistent disc.....just lose the def Lep cover

HEAT - their hardest most varied disc to date, excellent too

Harem Scarem - great return - like a cross of Higher and Overload

Ammunition - love this album. Big and bombastic. Got the Erik magic

Steel Panther - 3 from 3. Must bug the doubters ;-)

Night by Night - great debut. British band too...much better than the hyped In Faith

Brother Firetribe - they rarely put a foot wrong. This is good stuff.

Now to the disappointments - in no order,

Gotthard - they died with Steve Lee, RIP (not rated)

Dynazty - not a bad album, but disappointing that they took the power metal approach (74%)

Edguy - hoped for Rocketride, not sure what i got but it wasnt pretty (57%)

In Faith - didnt live up to the hype (75%)

House of Lords - another bog average album (60%)

Red Dragon Cartel - love Jake but this is weak (52%)

Stan Bush - more inspiro drivel (not rated)

Magnum - stop destroying your legacy (51%)

Tesla - too many fillers and weak vocal (not rated)

Angels of Kings - horrible vocal / weak production (not rated)

Adriangale - poor follow up to Suckerpunch which was brilliant (not rated)

Crazy Lixx - a lot didnt like Riot Avenue, but sorry its better than this. 3 Great songs prop up the score

Not heard -

Hell in The Club, Allen/Lande, Ten, Unruly Child,

Crazy Lixx - a lot didnt like Riot Avenue, but sorry its better than this. 3 Great songs prop up the score

What??? :wtf:

Truth.

Girl from the 80s, Missed The Mark and All Hooks are great.

The rest range 6.5 to 8.5 which quite frankly for Crazy Lixx is a disappointment

For me anyway.

Always love seeing the end of years lists. Got a way to go before mine is ready, but a few comments on Glen's;

- I like the Seven disc too, but wow, you really like it! That's a huge score for that one.

- My rating for Crazy Lixx might be similar, but amazed at some of the stuff you rate above it, like Darkhorse, Pretty Wild and Johnny Lima. No really great songs on any of them - even you admit there's at least 3 on Crazy Lixx.

- The score for Winger. What can I say that I haven't brutally noted on this forum already? I rated it 55% and even that I feel is way to generous. The fact that you rate it higher than In Faith, which at times sound like vintage (and good) Winger... where's your head at these days?! ;)

- All 20 of those albums rated higher than In Faith? I wonder if some people held a grudge against this album because of the hype, and unfairly rated it out of spite? I don't get it. I didn't know about any of the hype and just heard the album for what it is and I absolutely love it. I'm not saying everyone else should love it because I do, but I don't understand people being harsher than I feel it deserves. Killer album, imo. Some of the best hooks - probably the best hooks - of 2014, imo.

- Angels & Kings - holy shit?! What happened? In the thread before it's release you were telling us all we were in for a treat with this gem about to be unleashed on us. Sounded like you knew the songs and were talking from experience. Now you basically hate it? I don't get it. And again, the hatred of the vocals - I don't understand it. He has that great rasp that some of the more favoured 80's vocalists had. I truly really like the guy's voice. A lot. Why do people hate him so much? Lol. I "get" Workman as he's a unique voice and not for all, obviously. But this dude sounds good to me. Production, I agree. But goddamn the songs are excellent!!

Anyway, just my comments. To each their own. Always love the lists, and I'm 100% sure you'll disagree strongly with mine, lol. Considering In Faith and Angels & Kings are both in my top 3 at the moment (with only White Widdow of significance to be rated).

Am off out later so havent got my ratings to hand, but can comment on some of the above

Seven - yeah what say I say, I love this album. As I said it sounds like a long lost AOR classic to me in the vein of Boulevard's 'Into The Street' album (which is a huge fav of mine). The ballad I struggle with but I rated four 10/10 songs on this and pretty much every other song is a winner in my book.

Crazy Lixx - disappointing release for me despite rating it 80%. Those 3 songs i mention are all as good as anything they have recorded and are 9.5 tracks, but some of the rest of it is weak imo, esp the second half. The re-record is pointless as well imo. As for Lima, Darkhorse and Pretty Wild, there are plenty of great songs on those albums. Darkhorse I pretty much love every song and the only reason it didnt rate higher is because of the country twang. Pretty Wild starts off slow, but the middle run of songs are killer imo, and Lima done good....i supported the crowd funding and the album rocks...trails off towards the end but I only rated the top 12 songs.

Winger - still cant see anything wrong with this. Mature, great production, kick arse songs. Love it. A couple of weaker tracks maybe, but nothing I'd skip.

In Faith - I so wanted to like this. British band, some great people involved.....its good (75% is a good score from me)....but it just sounds like most other British melodic rock - slightly forced and dodgy sounding in places. Best track is the first single. There is a run of songs in the second half which should have been killer, but just sound pretty average....In Flames is a good song but is at least 30-45 seconds too long and I skip the end every time which annoys me.

A or K - I agree there are 4 or 5 really great sounding tracks on the album, but I hate those vocals. Sorry I just cant get past that - sounds full blast almost yelling every track. the production is crap too which doesnt help. Not for me Im afraid. Honestly listen to this back to back with Work of Art.....WoA slays it and then some.

Cheers

File me in the category of those who found the hype over In Faith to be somewhat undeserving. At times I hear Def Leppard, at other times Harem Scarem, and there are points throughout where it sounds great... but it comes off as trying just a bit too hard. It's difficult to describe. The album is LESS than a sum of its parts. It comes off as a wannabe album but just falls short.

It's solid, but not memorable, IMO.

P.S. My top 5 list will match no one else's on the planet... again.

Yep...my opinions on the In Faith are pretty much the same as Dan and Glen...Not bad, but really can't see what all the fuss is about. I must also admit, for fear of being shot down in flames, that the new Harem Scarem disc isn't doing a lot for me either. It obviously does with some other freaks on here, so I must be missing something, but saying saying that, I've always thought that they were a little bit on the overrated side anyways, bar the debut (don't hate ;)). A Or K and Crazy Lixx I haven't heard yet and probably won't before the new year, so probably won't make the final running, but otherwise my list is shaping up nicely and will also match no one else's ;) . Some of the titles in Glen's list all feature strongly, but a few surprises along the way too. All will be revealed soon

I think I said it somewhere else, that In Faith is definitely not as polished as it could be. It's a debut, and it's obviously a debut. But in saying that, I can forgive imperfections in a debut album, and I truly feel like album number two could be a classic if they continue on from where they're at. A bit more polish, and the debut itself would be near classic, imo. I dunno, I just have songs like 'If that's what love means' in my head for days on end. It's a living breathing hook from the first note to the end. Great song writers.

Glen, it's funny you say "nothing I wouldn't skip" about Winger. I think there's maybe two songs on the album I don't skip. ;) Hate it. As for the production, I agree that is Angel & King's main (and only, to me) downfall. But there's no way the Winger sounds any better at all, imo.

WoA and Angels & Kings back to back tells me a few things. Yes, WoA is 100% better produced and the vocals are good and well polished. The first half of the album is delicious, but the 2nd half not so much. A&K is definitely not as well produced, but the songs are easily as good, often better... and it's that way from start to end - no lulls at all. So budget-wise, WoA slays it. Where it matters, in songs and heart and soul... A&K kills it. IMO. ;)

The ballads are the best songs on In Faith....its the rockers which are not so good. Or too long ;-)

I guess everyone likes different things....but the second half of WoA weak? Really? Near perfection all the way through for me.

I actually tried AorK again this morning and got through about 2 songs before the wall of noise got too much. Im just gonna have to pass on this one.

As an ambassador for Long Song Hatred, I can honestly say I haven't noticed it at all yet with In Faith. Must be too busy enjoying the quality. ;)

Yeah, I went in depth on that weak end to the WoA album in the thread for the album, and I stand by it completely. There's one strong song in the whole second half. From tracks 6-11, 'Natalie' is the only really good song that stands out. The rest are a bunch of 7's to 7.5's. With is solid, but by no means a sign of a great album to me. From Angels Or Kings, the only tune that I rated as low as 7.5 is 'Real Life.'

As an ambassador for Long Song Hatred, I can honestly say I haven't noticed it at all yet with In Faith. Must be too busy enjoying the quality. ;)

Yeah, I went in depth on that weak end to the WoA album in the thread for the album, and I stand by it completely. There's one strong song in the whole second half. From tracks 6-11, 'Natalie' is the only really good song that stands out. The rest are a bunch of 7's to 7.5's. With is solid, but by no means a sign of a great album to me. From Angels Or Kings, the only tune that I rated as low as 7.5 is 'Real Life.'

Wowser you mean from Over The Line onwards?????

OK....here was my opinion

6. Over The Line - 9.5 - killer melodic AOR with the best pre chorus of the year

7. The Machine - 10 - flawless bordering on melodic hard rock

8. Hold On To Love - 9 - pure WoA chorus....easy going melodic bliss

9. Natalie - 9.75 - yet another killer 'name' song from the guys

10. The Turning Point - 9.5 - yet another killer melodic rocker

11. My Waking Dream - 8.5 - weakest track on offer but still a cool ballad to close

Jesus mate, are we listening to the same album?

If these are 7.5 songs you surprise me as they are no different from the killer songs on he first half imo.

Hey ho.

For the record I rated the first 5 tracks 9.5 / 10 / 9.75 / 10 / 9.5........so yeah the first half is marginally better.....but we are talking the difference between flawless and brilliant.

Mate, I got this Macbook recently and for the most part I like the thing, but some of the shit it does is beyond logic. I simply cannot possibly copy from a spreadsheet and paste it here without it coming out as a jumbled mess. Why can Apple not do Paste Special? Fucking idiots.

Anyway, in a nutshell, I can see you and Russ have generally scored much higher than me this year, and Dave. Probably all across the board. Personally, I didn't find a 90%+ album this year. Which might be where our discussion on In Faith is going wrong. I agree with a lot of what you were saying how it just misses the exact mark at times and that you feel there are moments that could and should have been better. I totally get that. But I guess in keeping it relative, I personally didn't hear many albums that did it better than In Faith. You, obviously, though, feel there were plenty. So our views on In Faith may not be that far apart, but moreso the albums also released this year that we are comparing it to.

Anyway, aside from the jumble, my thoughts on the WoA disc in a brief as hell nutshell:

Wow, I can literally not copy and paste ANYTHING on this piece of shit without carrying over the original format. I cannot voice how much I despise the c*nts at Apple for their desire to make everything as illogical and difficult as possible. I don't use iTunes because of how fucked up it is, and now I can't even do the most straight forward stuff imaginable on this laptop. Fuck I hate these c*nts.

Anyway, to avoid spending all night here... in a nutshell;

1. Killer opener with an amazing pre-chorus and chorus hook - 9

2. Another very nice piece of melodic rock - 9

3. Not immediately instant, but a really great chorus hook when it grows on you - 8

4. Another great catchy song with killer verses and a brilliant chorus - 9.5

5. Great tune with a great hook - 8.5

6. Pretty standard tune, but with a really bad chorus. Mangled like Tyketto's 'Burning down inside,' but even worse. Ironically, Glen, this is actually my last favourite song on the album - 7

7. This one's a pretty good song, but I'm just not into the lyrics at all. Chorus is so-so at best, too - 7.5

8. Solid tune, but pretty standard AOR - 7.25

9. KIller melodic rock; one of the album highlights - 9

10. Solid, plain melodic rock / AOR - 7.25

11. Solid, but from amazing balladic closer - 7

Total Score - (a very respectable and high ranking) - 81%

One thing to note is that this doesn't include the bonus track, which it should... and that's a good one, so it might boost the rating a little.

Oh well we are all different eh lol.

I love the album and could listen to it til the cows come home.

I pity u with a mac...will take some getting used to. My mates got one and he loves it so persevere ;-)

I pity u with a mac...will take some getting used to. My mates got one and he loves it so persevere ;-)

I'm glad we're all different. That's what make our discussions so entertaining! :lol:

• My Little Pony

I'm glad we're all different. That's what make our discussions so entertaining! :lol:

I don't know. It would be nice if you guys would finally see the light, and realize that I'm always right.

• My Little Pony

Mangled like Tyketto's 'Burning down inside,'...... wtf? ....... Your ears need a good clean out ;)

No shit. Mangled? Try classic.
Can we nominate him for something this year? I'm not sure what for, but he definitely deserves official recognition.

Edit: Oh, shit! I just figured it out. The Geoff Award. It goes to the member with the most absurd statement of the year. And will indubitably be awarded to Geoffrey every year.

Oh no, now you guys are going to try and say the drums throughout the chorus of 'Burning down inside' don't completely and utterly ruin an otherwise perfect song? What's going on on this site?

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the chorus in 'Burning down inside;' Winger's new album is not a pile of horseshit; In Faith are a bad band; the guy in Angels & Kings can't sing...

I dunno Karpetface. Before you award me for absurd statements, take a look around at some of the craziness going on here. Oh, and aren't Vega a shit band in most people's eyes here? I think you're about the chief black kettle here, Funk of Karpet. If you fix your taste in music we can have proper discussions, but in the mean time just enjoy Jamiroquai's latest album and leave the proper music to us. ;)

• My Little Pony

Oh no, now you guys are going to try and say the drums throughout the chorus of 'Burning down inside' don't completely and utterly ruin an otherwise perfect song? What's going on on this site?

Apparently there's nothing wrong with the chorus in 'Burning down inside;' Winger's new album is not a pile of horseshit; In Faith are a bad band; the guy in Angels & Kings can't sing...

I dunno Karpetface. Before you award me for absurd statements, take a look around at some of the craziness going on here. Oh, and aren't Vega a shit band in most people's eyes here? I think you're about the chief black kettle here, Funk of Karpet. If you fix your taste in music we can have proper discussions, but in the mean time just enjoy Jamiroquai's latest album and leave the proper music to us. ;)

I am Chief Black Kettle, and I call the pots as I see 'em.

Hold up, is there a new Jamiroquai album? I'll be right back.

Edit:

You bastard. There is a new album coming out this year. How the hell did you -- no, why the hell do you know about it, and not me?

Vega is an awesome band and I was very very wrong to doubt the new album...I admit that.

Other than that your other statements are correct about Tyketto, Winger, In Faith and A or Ks......glad to see youve finally seen the light lol ;-)