Three Lions - s/t

Stefan

1392126629three_lions.jpg

From Frontiers Records' pressrelease:

British Hard Rock is alive and kicking! THREE LIONS to debut with their self titled album on Frontiers in April

Frontiers Records is pleased to announce the release of the Self-titled debut album from British Hard Rockers THREE LIONS on April 18th in Europe and April 22nd in North America.

THREE LIONS are – like the name itself implies – a power trio featuring the familiar faces of former Ten and Dare members Vinny Burns on guitars and Greg Morgan on drums, along with the talented singer / songwriter Nigel Bailey. The band came about when the three musicians were introduced to each other by Frontiers Records President Serafino Perugino. The guys hit it off straight away and immediately set about writing new material for an album which soon was commissioned, with Alessandro Del Vecchio who was called in to produce.

Musically “Three Lions” is British Hard Rock at the very best! Mixing the melodic approach of early TEN with the classic musical heritage of UFO, THIN LIZZY and WHITESNAKE, these guys are about to take the Melodic Hard Rock scene by storm!

Nigel Bailey says “We were all determined to make the best album possible and are immensely proud of the songs that have made it onto the final record”. From the eastern influenced Kathmandu, to the driving power of Hellfire Highway and Twisted Soul, to the heartfelt ballads Made For One Another and Don’t Let Me Fall. This new album in the works promises to deliver passionate performances from the guys. “This album allowed me to show a different side to my playing whilst retaining the familiar sound and feel fans of Dare and Ten will recognise” says Vinny Burns.

3lions.jpg

Recordings were completed during 2013 and THREE LIONS made already their live debut supporting SNAKECHARMER in June 2013 and are set up to play their first international live show at the FRONTIERS ROCK FESTIVAL in Trezzo (Milan), Italy on May 1st. Hear The Roar!!!

Three Lions” tracklisting includes the following songs: Trouble In A Red Dress; Hold Me Down; Twisted Soul; Winter Sun; Just A Man; Holy Water; Two Hearts Beat As One; Kathmandu; Made For One Another; Magdalene; Don’t Let Me Fall; Hellfire Highway; Sicilian Kiss.

THREE LIONS
Nigel Bailey – lead vocals and bass
Greg Morgan – drums
Vinny Burns – guitars, keyboards

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ugly dudes, but I kind of like those two tunes. I don't know that vocalist, but that's a good voice he's got on him. I also have a feeling this should be pretty good. Very nice songs.

• 2 weeks later...

Just as I'd hoped, a VERY solid release. No re-inventing the wheel here or anything, but good songs, very good in the case of a few and any fan of good quality, typically Brit sounding Melodic Rock of the bands named above, will find something on here i'm sure. I love Nigel Baileys voice, as it fits this style of MR perfectly and sounds really excellent. Vinny Burns puts on a good show too. Maybe a little muddy in places with the production side of things, but generally this is a nice, cool sounding disc. My top picks..... the excellent opener 'Trouble In A Red Dress', Hold Me Down', 'Holy Water (great riff on this), the gentle 'Two Hearts Beat As One', 'Magdelene' and the Gary Moore like instrumental 'Sicilian Kiss'. Very nice indeed

I've put this through the ears once so far. I agree with Jez that there's no reinvention of the wheel but for what it is it's pretty good. Maybe not quite as good as I'd expected based on the sample I heard, but it's very solid and well executed. I really loved that ballad, 'Two hearts beat as one,' on my first spin. More spins and thoughts to come...

Just finished playing this one. On the whole a good solid release and I really like the vocals. I must admit I was expecting a bit more roar from this though.

Just finished playing this one. On the whole a good solid release and I really like the vocals. I must admit I was expecting a bit more roar from this though.

it is a tad safe in places but an enjoyable album none the less.

it is a tad safe in places but an enjoyable album none the less.

Yeah safe is a good way of putting it. Still, a solid first album and and a vocalist who fits this style of music very well. I will give it more spins over the coming weeks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • My Little Pony

Stefan, you post anything else but links or verbatim statements from p&r or social media outlets? Maybe this has been brought up before but I'm rather new to this forum so i just wanna know ;-)

Stefan has taken it upon himself to keep us up to date with nearly everything related the genres relevant to this site. Good or bad.

Actually, Stefan's contributions are greatly appreciated. As long as people don't copy and paste reviews from other resources implying that the reviews are their own, I'm perfectly fine with information of interest to the community being posted.

-Dan