Star Wars Episode VII - Coming in 2015 courtesy of.... Disney?!

whiplash1972

pbtPn30Sp5RdLWNRyMruSt4MhRL.jpg

http://moviemet.com/...star-wars-movie

Disney to buy LucasFilm and new STAR WARS movie in 2015

Yes, you read that right. Disney will buy LucasFilm for $4.05 billion and develop a new feature STAR WARS movie for release in 2015.

Press Release:

Burbank, CA and San Francisco, CA, October 30, 2012 – Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE: DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.

Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.

"Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas," said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

"For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next," said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. "It's now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that Star Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and "evergreen" Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.

Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney's global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Wars feature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star Wars Episode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.

The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.

Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm's legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world's top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney's strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.

The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney's very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company's unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application of innovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney's portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company's ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world's highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.

The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Shit You beat Me to it!!! I JUST saw this.. On the one hand I am excited as I have been waiting almost 30 YEARS for Episode VII to finally be released!! I just HOPE it's not too cutesy with Disney behind it.. No more Jar Jar or Ewoks PLEASE??????? Bring in George Lucas as a consultant at the very least..... And if episode VII does well finish the damn series with episodes VIII and IX!!!!

• My Little Pony

hey now, Disney does more than just cartoons. this could be a good thing.

Exactly. They haven't f**ked up Marvel, yet, so there's no reason to worry, yet. And, seriously, so long as the canon is no longer in Lucas the Hutt's hands, I'm happy.

hey now, Disney does more than just cartoons. this could be a good thing.

Exactly. They haven't f**ked up Marvel, yet, so there's no reason to worry, yet. And, seriously, so long as the canon is no longer in Lucas the Hutt's hands, I'm happy.

Yep. Cannot possibly be as bad as Phantom Menace.

I kinda like this idea, but also feel if its set after 'Return' all the main characters which made the original films so good (Darth Vader, Luke, Hans, the robots etc) will all be gone.

Will it be as good? Can you replace Darth Vader? Yoda? R2D2?

Mmmm, Im doubtful.

We'll see.

They gotta keep the music as well - that is a must.

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will, but wasn't/isn't the franchise a nine movie idea/deal anyway? I thought I read that a million years ago, so I'd assume the basis of 7,8 & 9 are already in the can?

Aside from that, smart move on Lucas' part. Fudge, 4 billion bucks is huge and as he quoted above, might as well cash in and blow $$$$$ before your gone.

• My Little Pony

Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will, but wasn't/isn't the franchise a nine movie idea/deal anyway? I thought I read that a million years ago, so I'd assume the basis of 7,8 & 9 are already in the can?

Aside from that, smart move on Lucas' part. Fudge, 4 billion bucks is huge and as he quoted above, might as well cash in and blow $$$$$ before your gone.

Yeah, the Hutt originally imagined nine "books," but I'm not sure how much of his initial ideas lasted. I hope this next movie brings in new characters, with possibly some cameos. Whatever happens, it automatically gets a nod from me for being on the right side of the original trilogy. I hate most of the pre-Empire Star Wars Universe. Yeah, I'm a nerd.

Finally we will see another Star Wars movie....I was getting really tired of Lucas's constant "There will never be another Star Wars movie" statements....I'm actually looking forward to seeing what Disney does with the series...whatever it turns out to be at least the franchise will not be left to die on the vine like that moron Lucas wanted to do....

I believe that Disney intends to proceed using the treatments that George Lucas had for episodes 7-9 before he decided he was done making Star Wars films. You can find info online as to the direction the story is heading. Skywalker offspring aplenty. ;-)

Hopefully the new ownership will keep Lucas from constantly tinkering with the original three films whenever he gets a bug up his ass about "improving" them. "Okay, now Greedo shoots first! NOW they're in 3-D! NOW they're in IMAX! NOW Hayden Christensen's face is in the last shot of 'Jedi'!" ... keep your frickin' O.C.D. mitts OFF of them, George!!

• My Little Pony

Hopefully the new ownership will keep Lucas from constantly tinkering with the original three films whenever he gets a bug up his ass about "improving" them. "Okay, now Greedo shoots first! NOW they're in 3-D! NOW they're in IMAX! NOW Hayden Christensen's face is in the last shot of 'Jedi'!" ... keep your frickin' O.C.D. mitts OFF of them, George!!

He no longer owns it, which means he has absolutely no control. In fact, I half expect Disney to release the Holy Trilogy, unaltered, on Blu Ray. As for the Hutt, they're keeping him on as a creative consultant, which is smart, 'cause there's no denying his creativity.

• My Little Pony

Well this is encouraging....

http://movies.yahoo....-185829069.html

SO apparently Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamill ARE Open to doing another Star Wars movie!! This could be a VERY good thing.....

I'd prefer them to be in supporting roles. As much as I love those three--and I do love them--I'd prefer to be introduced to new characters. This generation needs it's own cast of characters to get behind and cheer on. And hopefully forget about all of those in the Unholy Trilogy. I hope these next three films won't be focused around the Solo family, and Luke trying to rebuild the Jedi Order. All that has already been established through the novels and comics, but I understand it would be a little ridiculous to skip a couple hundred years. Is my nerd starting to show?

• 2 months later...

So the new Star Wars film has a director evidently...

http://scifimafia.com/2013/01/breaking-news-director-for-star-wars-episode-vii-named-geek-universe-implodes/

While I really enjoyed what Abrams did with the Star Trek reboot, I'm not sure about this. Word is Ben Affleck wanted a shot at directing too... while I haven't seen Argo, I know several people who have, and said he did a brilliant job with it.

So the new Star Wars film has a director evidently...

http://scifimafia.co...verse-implodes/

While I really enjoyed what Abrams did with the Star Trek reboot, I'm not sure about this. Word is Ben Affleck wanted a shot at directing too... while I haven't seen Argo, I know several people who have, and said he did a brilliant job with it.

Who wouldn't want a shot at directing this! It is garaunteed box office gold no matter who directs it...

I am however scepticle/concerned about the writer...

It is garaunteed box office gold no matter who directs it...

i recall someone saying during the hype of episode 1 fourteen years ago, "they could show 2 hours of george lucas' hairy butt and it would still beat titanic'

I would love to see a Star Wars movie based on "The Knights Of The Old Republic" games.....Well i can dream!!!!

• My Little Pony

I would love to see a Star Wars movie based on "The Knights Of The Old Republic" games.....Well i can dream!!!!

Not me. I've said it before, and I'll continue saying it, I'm done with the Old Republic Era. Give us something after the fall of the Empire. Speed us ahead to the introduction of the Yuuzhan Vong. That would make for a great epic!

It is garaunteed box office gold no matter who directs it...

i recall someone saying during the hype of episode 1 fourteen years ago, "they could show 2 hours of george lucas' hairy butt and it would still beat titanic'

:)

Just keep re-packaging the holy trilogy every 10 years with some extra 2 seconds of unseen footage and we will keep buying them...