Lionville II - out November

Stefan

Really like the sound of what I've heard of this, but personally I think Avenue of Allies are being idiots ... all the full songs on Youtube have been removed at their request. Their own website is 'being upgraded' (i.e. there's no site up and running) so there is no way of listening to full songs from the album. There's an album sampler on Youtube, but it only has short clips from songs. Why don't some labels get it - a lot of people are unlikely to buy an album without hearing a few songs first. 30-second samples just don't cut it.

:cussing:

So ... is this album really that good? Will it be in anyone's top five for the year...?

Yep it's good - pure AOR in the vein of Work Of Art except maybe not quite that quality.

I'm a bit of a contradiction AOR-wise though ... I like the sound of this, don't like Work of Art much, not a fan of H.E.A.T. but love Harlan Cage, some 101 South and White Widdow ... There's just no hope for me. :lol:

Mate, that is probably the wildest AOR statement I've seen in a lifetime. You don't like WOA or HEAT yet you love Harlan Cage and 101 South. Yowser. I like some Harlan Cage and 101 South (basically the same band) but they are one of the most samey bands to hit the scene in recent years. Man did they have a formula and stick to it... on every song on every album. In my personal opinion, not even in the same league as bands like WOA and HEAT, but to each their own. In all honestly, Lionville is about 100 times superior to Harlan Cage. But then again I think WOA and HEAT are too, so don't take my word for it. ;)

It's in my top 10 at the moment, but didn't crack the top 5 for me personally.

One of the better AOR albums this year (not that there has been much competition) .A top tenner..probably not, but it will crack the top 25 for sure.

I'll give it a go. I'll rate the songs, but I won't try to analyse them too much.

1. All We Need - A solid opener 8.5/10

2. The Only Way Is Up - worth it alone for the Triumph - 'Never Say Never' intro riff, great tune. 9.5/10

3. Another Day - Another solid slab of AOR greatness 9/10

4. Higher - Feature Bill Chamberlin on vox...bad idea, I skip this one. 6/10

5. No Turning Back - An excellent ballad, it's got Richard Marx written all over it 8.5/10

6. All This Time - Pure WOA, guest guitarist Robert Säll makes the difference, he is why WOA is better than Lionville 9.5/10

7. Next To Me - More WOA bliss 9/10

8. Waiting For A Star To Fall - very cool cover 8.5/10

9. Don't Walk Away - more AOR excellence 9/10

10. One In A Million - another upbeat AOR number 8.5/10

11. Shining Over Me - more WOA glory 8.5/10

12. Open Your Heart - No Lars on vox...pass! sort of a boring track 6/10

Cut this one down to 10 tracks, excluding the other vocalists and you'd have the best AOR release of 2012. Still an awesome release

84% sounds about right. 89% minus tracks 4 and 12.

Way too early for me lay a rating on this - only listened to it twice.

Any progress yet?

I'm tempted to download the highlights, but I like everything I've heard from it so far.

I'll have to have a blast of the tracks zacharyamelie gives lower scores for to hopefully put myself off the album...

• My Little Pony

Any progress yet?

I'm tempted to download the highlights, but I like everything I've heard from it so far.

I'll have to have a blast of the tracks zacharyamelie gives lower scores for to hopefully put myself off the album...

Yeah, but you can't always trust those Eastern Canadians. ;}

Any progress yet?

3rd spin coming up ...

Eastern Canadians!?!?, I thought those who lived close to Toronto were always refered to as 'center of the Universe'.

Still love the album, lose the other vocalists and it would be even better.

Eastern Canadians!?!?, I thought those who lived close to Toronto were always refered to as 'center of the Universe'.

Still love the album, lose the other vocalsits and it would be even better.

Lose the other vocalists and it would be WoA lol (well almost)

;-)

Still love the album, lose the other vocalsits and it would be even better.

Lose the other vocalists and it would be WoA lol (well almost)

;-)

I know! Brilliant idea isn't it?

I still think Robert Sall is a big difference maker with his awesome guitar tone and nimble fingers. The solo for the track 'Maria' from WOA's debut is still one of the best solos of the past 10 years....love it!

I thought those who lived close to Toronto were always refered to as 'center of the Universe'.

Wait a minute... I think there's something wrong with that sentence...

:unsure:

2 spelling mistakes? ;-)

• My Little Pony

I thought those who lived close to Toronto were always refered to as 'center of the Universe'.

Wait a minute... I think there's something wrong with that sentence...

:unsure:

2 spelling mistakes? ;-)

I believe Glen is correct. "Referred" and "centre."

Any progress yet?

3rd spin coming up ...

How many more spin do you need until you give it a solid 90% ? :D

Any progress yet?

3rd spin coming up ...

How many more spin do you need until you give it a solid 90% ? :D

Fell asleep during the 3rd spin lol. Was on the way home from work tho.

Sorted. Listened to 'Open Your Heart' and (I think) 'Another Day' last night and didn't really rate them, so I think I can happily download 3 or 4 tracks from this one and leave the rest. My download list is getting pretty long though...

Pointless posting the commentary as it's basically the same for each song, but here's how I rated the individual tracks personally:

1. All We Need - beautiful melodic rock opener - hard to fault - 9.25

2. The Only Way Is Up - another great melodic rocker - 9.25

3. Another Day - once more a great melodic rocker - 9.00

4. Higher - solid AOR, but not one of the best here - 8.00

5. No Turning Back - more very nice melodic rock - 9.25

6. All This Time - really nice WOA-style melodic rock / AOR - 9.50

7. Next to Me - more great melodic rock - 9.25

8. Waiting for a Star to Fall - really great cover song - 9.00

9. Don't Walk Away - nice, solid melodic rock - 8.50

10. One in a Million - very great melodic rocker with a delicious chorus - 9.50

11. Shining Over Me - another nice melodic rock song to close it out - 9.25

12. Open Your Heart 4:43 - solid, nice melodic rock - 8.50